Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Albums you wish you could hear again for the "first time"

Commander PK

We all have our favorite albums. There are some that the first time you heard them, you were just blown away. Some you didn't "get" right away, but the more you listened the more you liked them. I was thinking about this tonight, and there are a few albums that I wish I could hear from the perspective of a listener that has never heard the album before. Be blown away again. There are some albums that I know so well, have listened to straight through so many times I know every lyric, every guitar lick, every snare hit....every nuance of the music.

Here are 10 albums in no particular order, that I wish I could hear again for the "first time"

1.) Van Halen - 1984

2.) Metallica - Master of Puppets

3.) Pearl Jam - Ten

4.) Guns n Roses - Appetite for Destruction

5.) Pink Floyd - Dark side of the moon

6.) Whitesnake - 1987

7.) Led Zeppelin - IV

8.) Boston - Boston

9.) Judas Priest - Painkiller

10.) Van Halen - Van Halen

Due to my age, a lot of great older albums didn't do much for a first viewing because I had already heard a majority of the songs in one way or another. This makes my list consist primarily of albums made in the past 10-15 years.

Arcade Fire - Funeral

Band of Horses - Everything All The Time

Benji Hughes - A Love Extreme

Courteeners, The - Falcon

Decemberists, The - Castaways and Cutouts

Fanfarlo - Reservoir

Glasvegas - Glasvegas

Grandaddy - Just Like The Fambly Cat

Islands - Vapours

Man Man - Rabbit Habits

Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over The Sea

of Montreal - Cherry Peel

Ozma - Rock And Roll Part III

Weezer - Pinkerton

Fuagazi- Repeater blew me away circa 1990.

NIN- Pretty Hate Machine... around the same time. What an amazing effort. For a 14/15 year old kid it was a revelation. I've said it before, I don't think that album gets the acclaim it should.

But the album that got me into music, so to speak, was Mothers Milk by RHCP. 8th grade, iirc... so would have been 1989 I think.

The Who - Tommy

Santana - Moonflower

Rush - Moving Pictures

Minutemen - What Makes a Man Start Fires?

Meat Puppets - Up On the Sun

REM - Murmur

Funkadelic - Maggot Brain

They Might Be Giants - self-titled debut

Red Hot Chili Peppers - The Uplift Mofo Party Plan

Electric Six - Fire

Say Hi - Oohs and Aahs

I didn't really get into music until the early-mid 90's, and I was 13 or 14, so these aren't going to be inspired choices or anything, and they're mainstream, but what I really remember were a few of the first CD's I ever bought:

Alice in Chains - Dirt

Live - Throwing Copper

Especially Throwing Copper, I was amazed that there isn't a single bad song on that C.D., no filler. Even the hidden song at the end is half decent. Dirt is similar, everything on there is fantastic and I don't think AIC has another album even close to it.

When I was older, I remember buying Californication by RHCP and being surprised. I had heard a bunch of the songs on the radio, but I was shocked that pretty much everything on that CD was a solid effort. I appreciate it when there isn't any obvious filler and it sounds like the band actually tried on every song.

Talking Heads - Remain in Light

Green Day - Dookie

The Clash - London Calling

Bob Dylan - Bringing It All Back Home

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

Dr Dre - The Chronic

The Ramones - Rocket to Russia

Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill

Allman Brothers - Live at Fillmore East

Devo - Q: Are We Not Men A: We Are Devo

The B-52s - The B-52s

I remember hearing each one of these for the first time.

Live - Throwing Copper

That's widely regarded as the most disposable album of the entire 90s. Taste is personal and I'm glad you dug it, but I'm always sort of amazed when I find the people who made certain things hits. (Someday, I'm going to meet a die hard Nickelback fan and then probably just move to the country to live out my days).

This is a somewhat populist choice but I think I played "Automatic For The People" 15 times in a row when I first got it. I'm not even that big an REM fan, but combining the time of my life (first year of college) with something that stark and out of key with the rest of radio and their ouvre was pretty amazing. "Fear of a Black Planet" was the first PE album I ever bought, and that pretty much sounded like the end of the world so that may be number 2 on the list.

I usually ease my way into albums. It's rare that I hear something on first listen and say "Great Gosh Almighty." I didn't really even like The Replacements the first time I heard them, and they are probably my favorite band ever.

Also, unless you were born in 1950, I'm not sure how any Dylan or Beatles or Stones record could really blow you away the first time. I would like to have been alive to 1965 to hear that snare strike at the beginning of LARS for the very first time, but by the time I actually bought Highgway 61 in, like, 1989 I had heard that song dozens of times on oldies stations. "Ballad of a Thin Man" was new to me, but that actually scared me a bit.

Archived