Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

First via Twitter, then Rotoworld/ESPN. Now Official: Clinton Portis has been released by the Redskins

Oldskool

Can we release Shanahan instead and keep Portis?

Terrible personnel move. Idiot mistake to cut the best back on the team with nothing better in free agency and no backup plan. Portis and Moss should retire as Redskins.

Thanks Shanahan for screwing up our core guys

Remember when I mentioned over reacting like a ninny? Perfect example right there. :)

This may sound like a pipe dream....but I wonder if Shanny has made it clear to everyone that he is going to cut Portis to see if there is any interest in him from other teams. I'm not sure when CP is due more money, but IF the CBA can get done then maybe the Skins could trade him for a 5th Rounder to a team who could rework his contract and not have to compete with other teams (driving up his price)??? Thoughts? Just don't know why Shanny would telegraph an obvious move, when everyone knows Portis is done. Why not just cut him last week? Coincidence this is happening at the combine where a lot of communication between teams is happening???? I would take a 6th Rounder.

It is most definitely a pipe dream.

lindsayczarniak Lindsay Czarniak

Clinton Portis not offcly cut but tells me "its time to move on. Parting ways with the organization is best for both situations"

2 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

---------- Post added February-27th-2011 at 02:07 PM ----------

Remember when I mentioned over reacting like a ninny? Perfect example right there. :)

:ols:

If it is the end, and he signs elsewhere, good for CP. He deserves to finish his career out the best way he can.

He did a lot of good things for this franchise at a time when the team wasn't always run well, and its a shame he wasn't able to be around for the Redskins winning big.

He has his faults, as well, but you don't become the second leading rusher in franchise history by not being a good player.

If this is the end for him with the Redskins, I'll appreciate his time here. He was one of the great on field competitors this franchise has had under this ownership (second only to Sean Taylor).

Shanahan on Portis(via NFL.com):

"Now here's a guy with a high salary-cap (number), and I've always dealt with it a little bit differently," Shanahan said. "If we're not going to sign Clinton to that high salary, I'll let him test the market out. Not to say that we don't want him, but if we want him at a lower price, I'd always give him that option to obviously go out and find the best deal."

Shanahan said no decision has been made on Portis, but one will be made soon. "I don’t want to say right now," he said. "Could be two days from now, could be three days from now. Could be later today."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81e83e3c/article/skins-portis-thankful-for-time-in-dc-will-move-on-if-he-must-?module=HP_headlines

Seems like Shanny is open to the idea of bringing him back at a lower salary.

I don't "hate" the guy at all, I'm just calling it like I see it. Sure he had a bunch of rushing yards while he was probably right up there in rushing attempts too. My complete uninformed opinion is that Portis was the equivalent of a basketball ball hog and used his relationship with Snyder to pad his stats. I have nothing to back it up, but it has been known that he was buddy buddy with the owner.

And how can you assume I or anyone would slack off at practice if given the opportunity. I gauran-damn-tee you that London Fletcher never slacked off when he probably had plenty of opportunities. Sorry but I don't cater to the Allen Iverson "practice?" crap. That's garbage to me, and no I never did slack off while I was playing for nothing other than love of the game.

And the blocking back comment was more of a joke. That's what everyone would defend Portis with - "Well he blocks well!" Great, I want a RB that can do something other than block and stumble for 2, 3, or 4 yards. He's just vastly overrated by my fellow Skins fans - that's my only point. He was a workhorse RB on a crappy team that probably could've been filled by any other starting RB in the league. Again, he has zero moves, he's not shifty. He's painstakingly average.

And again I don't hate the guy or even dislike him. I stated in my post that I was halfway joking. He's a Skin so he's okay by me. I just honestly didn't think he was that good of a RB.

I don't know how you can say he is over rated then say he piled up a bunch of yards with a bunch of carries? He has a career average of 4.4, he did have 2 great years in Denver... but he still average 4+ yards a carry while with the Redskins. That alone proves that even if he did get a "lot of carries" that he was still productive with them. He essentially averages a first down every 2-3 touches. How in the world does being close to the owner help you average 4 YPC?

Having a lot of carries also proves that we didn't have anyone else on the roster that could run behind the lines we had... Portis was the only one who could be productive. You can try to blame that on him too.. but it won't work. Your basketball theory about being a ball hog would work if he had a 3 YPC or less...

He isn't the best RB ever, nobody is saying that. He was a huge bright spot on teams that otherwise had next to no offense. I know you don't think Mark Brunell carried us to the playoffs and won us a playoff game with his 64ish yards passing?

There i fixed your post for you - just be a man and ****ing admitt it -

Oh come on, loosen up my man. I refuse to hate anybody.

I just never thought he was that good of a back. And I've been a fan of his at times but taking a step back he just seemed pretty pedestrian to me overall. Sorry if you don't agree. I admit I could've phrased it better but the Portis mancrushes riled me up a little bit. I hope Portis lands on his feet (and doesn't trip over grass) and catches on somewhere. Heck, I'd welcome him back here for training camp but I can't see him beating out many people. I'm one that thinks RB's are pretty overrated as a whole anyway. Just plug a guy in for two years and repeat. There's really no reason to even consider a RB over 30 anymore, it's just asinine.

The worst think that happened to Portis was coming to DC. He probably would've been much better off in Denver if they wanted to stick with him longterm, but they probably wouldn't have kept him around as long as we did. And I won't even talk about giving RB's big money, that's just silly. There are obviously a few exceptions but not many.

---------- Post added February-27th-2011 at 05:43 PM ----------

I don't know how you can say he is over rated then say he piled up a bunch of yards with a bunch of carries? He has a career average of 4.4, he did have 2 great years in Denver... but he still average 4+ yards a carry while with the Redskins. That alone proves that even if he did get a "lot of carries" that he was still productive with them. He essentially averages a first down every 2-3 touches. How in the world does being close to the owner help you average 4 YPC?

Having a lot of carries also proves that we didn't have anyone else on the roster that could run behind the lines we had... Portis was the only one who could be productive. You can try to blame that on him too.. but it won't work. Your basketball theory about being a ball hog would work if he had a 3 YPC or less...

He isn't the best RB ever, nobody is saying that. He was a huge bright spot on teams that otherwise had next to no offense. I know you don't think Mark Brunell carried us to the playoffs and won us a playoff game with his 64ish yards passing?

Brunell was that dude!

Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I thought our OL played pretty well when we went to the playoffs. Portis had the yards but I do think a lot of RB's could've racked up those numbers with that many attempts, and I think there are plenty that would've done even better. But Jansen and Samuels were very good at one time.

CP has my respect because he is as tough as they come. I'm glad Shanny is going to let him test the waters who knows maybe he doesn't feel the love in FA and we get him back on the cheap but with Torain and the young RBs already here its still going to be hard for CP to make the team next year as it is. Good luck to CP.

CP needs someone to tell him to be quiet. Not sure of how big of a market there will be for his services...but he needs to focus on not burning bridges right now and being gracious.

I for one would love to see him break the record...he certainly deserves it.

UGH. Things like that make it difficult to root for him.

I don't think it's not only the passion but he doesn't have the legs/ability to play for Shanahan like he did for Gibbs.

His body has been rung through the ringer and he's nothing more than a shell of his former self.

I don't think it's not only the passion but he doesn't have the legs/ability to play for Shanahan like he did for Gibbs.

His body has been rung through the ringer and he's nothing more than a shell of his former self.

Right. And after that many hits and injuries, whether he wants to admit it or not, you become a little tentative and hesitant. Its hard to go balls out with passion, when you're playing like that.

And that's not a knock on Portis. Its the nature of the game. LT's play this past season is an anomaly...you don't usually see older RB's, even ones who have reached (differing) levels of greatness throughout their careers, continue to play with that kind of physicality. I mean, look at LJ this season, compared to his past play. Embarrassing how much he DIDN'T want to be hit.

Can we release Shanahan instead and keep Portis?

Terrible personnel move. Idiot mistake to cut the best back on the team with nothing better in free agency and no backup plan. Portis and Moss should retire as Redskins.

Thanks Shanahan for screwing up our core guys

LOL... you aren't serious, right?

On assumption he will be released, Redskins Clinton Portis says:"the same passion I had playing for Coach Gibbs is not there"

Heck the same passion I had when rooting for the Redskins under Coach Gibbs isn't there either.

Nothing wrong with moving on and providing depth on a team with a chance to win a Lombardi, hopefully outside of the NFC East

On assumption he will be released, Redskins Clinton Portis says:"the same passion I had playing for Coach Gibbs is not there"

3 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

that would explain the whole 'sliding rather than getting a few extra yards' thing last year.....

Archived