Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

First via Twitter, then Rotoworld/ESPN. Now Official: Clinton Portis has been released by the Redskins

Oldskool

no question portis was productive and blocking was outstanding. i have a authentic portis jersey. but i am happy to see him go for several reasons. 1 he is done. he's a dinosaur in rb years, he's injury prone and has no burst. 2 in my opinion he can be a distraction and has been the whole time here. i know not on the T.O. level but enough over time that he just gets annoying. 3 he's the face of an era that i for one will be happy to put in my rearview. the overspending and overrated era. i enjoyed watching you play clinton but you are not the type of player this team needs.

I wish you the best Clinton. I really had high hopes that he would have a great year last season under Shanahan. The damn injuries kept that from happening. He played hard when he was here and gave us some great memories. I hope he goes to a good AFC team, at least not an NFC East team.

I'm in favor of the move and think it's the right thing for the future of the Redskins.

Great Redskin career for CP and he will be missed. I'll always link him with the two magical runs from Gibbs II (especially that image of him pouring the little cup of Gatorade on Joe in the closing minutes of the 21-point beat down of Dallas to clinch the 6 seed in 2007).

Good luck to CP wherever he goes!

Just got the news and it couldn't have hit me harder. You talked way to much **** off the field but you backed everything up on Sunday and I grew to love you for it. The last 3 years our offensive line was beyond terrible and you even played O-line for us. God Bless you Clinton. If we had more Clinton Protises on the field the last 7 years we would have been a better football team.

Hail!

Let's face it, Clinton has been done for a few seasons now. Overall, not going to miss his antics or lack of production. He's a shell of his former self and not worth 1/4 of his current salary. Whether it's his injuries or not, his practice habits were terrible and I truly believe he wasn't in the top shape he could have been. Oxygen tank suppliers around DC are really going to feel the loss.

Regardless, well Clinton, thanks for everything you've done while healthy. He really gutted and pounded out some great performances despite his slight frame. And his blocking has been second to none. :helmet:

That being said: I, for one, am happy he didn't break John Riggins all-time Redskins rushing record.

Time to move on.

Let's face it, Clinton has been done for a few seasons now. Overall, not going to miss his antics or lack of production. He's a shell of his former self and not worth 1/4 of his current salary. Whether it's his injuries or not, his practice habits were terrible and I truly believe he wasn't in the top shape he could have been. Oxygen tank suppliers around DC are really going to feel the loss.

Regardless, well Clinton, thanks for everything you've done while healthy. He really gutted and pounded out some great performances despite his slight frame. And his blocking has been second to none. :helmet:

That being said: I, for one, am happy he didn't break John Riggins all-time Redskins rushing record.

Time to move on.

Yea, because breaking Riggins record would have only meant more success for the Redskins. I care less about the records and would like players to Shatter and demolish every one of them...Washington Redskins records are only here to remind us of the "good'ole days" and that shows us what we have become today.

Portis had too much mouth sometimes... but he put every ounce of what he had on the field..and that goes a long way in my book. I wish him nothing but success in whatever he decides to do. Sadly, I agree that it may be time to part ways. Maybe he'll come back and play backup for less money, doubtful, but maybe.

See ya later! Make sure to take those stupid personalities with you. Go play dress up somewhere else.

---------- Post added February-27th-2011 at 02:45 PM ----------

Yea, because breaking Riggins record would have only meant more success for the Redskins. I care less about the records and would like players to Shatter and demolish every one of them...Washington Redskins records are only here to remind us of the "good'ole days" and that shows us what we have become today.

Portis had too much mouth sometimes... but he put every ounce of what he had on the field..and that goes a long way in my book. I wish him nothing but success in whatever he decides to do. Sadly, I agree that it may be time to part ways. Maybe he'll come back and play backup for less money, doubtful, but maybe.

Yeah, Portis playing for less money.

This is the same guy that said "Portis Pockets Straight", let's remember. I don't see why this guy is so loved. He has the moves of my grandmother and benefitted from a good OL whenever he did have success. And this year was just sad watching him trip over grass. His no practice attitude also rubbed me the wrong way because sure enough he was gonna want all the playing time and I'm guessing he used his relationship with Snyder to get it done.

"Aww Redskins suck but hey Portis had a good year!" The guy is a diva and an overrated back. While the entire NFL was going to a two and sometimes three back system, we've been stuck with Portis grinding out 1-2 yards per run.

And don't even get me started on the "best blocking back in the NFL" comments. Woopty-freaking-doo. You know its bad when the best thing you can say about your starting RB is "He blocks really well!". And I'm sure people think I'm coming down hard on him, but this is all in half jest. But there is definitely some truth behind it.

See ya later! Make sure to take those stupid personalities with you. Go play dress up somewhere else.

This is the same guy that said "Portis Pockets Straight", let's remember. I don't see why this guy is so loved. He has the moves of my grandmother and benefitted from a good OL whenever he did have success. And this year was just sad watching him trip over grass. His no practice attitude also rubbed me the wrong way because sure enough he was gonna want all the playing time and I'm guessing he used his relationship with Snyder to get it done.

"Aww Redskins suck but hey Portis had a good year!" The guy is a diva and an overrated back. While the entire NFL was going to a two and sometimes three back system, we've been stuck with Portis grinding out 1-2 yards per run.

Yea he's soo overrated he somehow managed to become the 2nd leading rusher in Redskins history with a ****ty ass Oline for the majority of his time here. C'mon son just come out and say that your a CP hater

Portis jerseys are weeping right now. Such a great running back who may have run his mouth but he sure as hell backed it up during the game. He was one of the most physical running backs in the league despite his size. he came here as a speed back and yet he adapted to hard nose running styles for the good of the Redskins. Good Luck to you CP. You have nothing to prove. You will always be a Redskin.

Great news...He had a couple of good years with Gibbs. Also had a couple of years when he gave the team a big FU with his poor practice attendance and below avg effort. I've been ready for him to go for 2 years now.

And don't even get me started on the "best blocking back in the NFL" comments. Woopty-freaking-doo. You know its bad when the best thing you can say about your starting RB is "He blocks really well!". And I'm sure people think I'm coming down hard on him, but this is all in half jest. But there is definitely some truth behind it.

What great o-line do you speak of? He became the Redskins 2nd leading rusher behind what was 90% of the time, a garbage o-line. He still averaged 4.2 YPC this year while he was "tripping over blades of grass". You can knock him for his injuries, but that's how it is as an NFL RB.

You can try to find some negative in his exceptional blocking ability, but that just shows how much you apparently hate the guy. He was by NO means perfect.. but if you guys are looking for the perfect NFL player at every position then you're going to be upset with what you find every single time. There is no pleasing some of you guys and that's ok..

You only choose to remember the little bit of negative when a guy leaves, and that's fine. I choose to remember a FOOTBALL player where it really matters... in the actual game.

he had well over 1,000 yards every season here when he was healthy, again, you can knock his durability there.. and has 46 rushing TDs as well. That doesn't highlight his blocking or any of his game as a receiver out the backfield.

But, people like you, choose to hate him because he played dress up with a few teammates. So did Cooley, you hate him too? His practice reputation sucked at times and I can't defend that... just shows how soft the coaches were. If you're and NFL RB making millions and you wanna prolong your career and durability by not practicing as much, if the coach let you get away with it, then you would too... regardless of your almighty attitude on a internet forum.

He had some issues, he talked too much at times...so what? If he was a perfect practice player and didn't run his mouth at all... we would likely have the EXACT same record that we have now... that's all that matters to me as a fan.

Oh, and we tried forever to go with a 2 back tandum.. remember Betts? He was dooky every year except one... but I guess that ONE year wipes away all of Portis' good years? The coaches never brought anyone in that could do ANYTHING behind the crappy o-lines we had...I guess that's on Portis too?

CP has always been one of my favorite Redskins. His first run as a Redskin is one of my favorite Redskins memories to this day. I can still remember being so hyped that Coach Gibbs was back, and we acquired a stud running back and he took that first counter trey 64 yards to the house.

CP put us on his back, and carried us into the playoffs in 2005. He was a machine, and he provided a lot of fun along the way with his costumes.

Even though he was somewhat controversial during his time in Washington, CP is the second leading rusher in Redskins history. He was a great back.

Although I agree that it's time to move on for both parties, CP will be heavily missed.

If you ever read this, thanks for everything CP.

What great o-line do you speak of? He became the Redskins 2nd leading rusher behind what was 90% of the time, a garbage o-line. He still averaged 4.2 YPC this year while he was "tripping over blades of grass". You can knock him for his injuries, but that's how it is as an NFL RB.

You can try to find some negative in his exceptional blocking ability, but that just shows how much you apparently hate the guy. He was by NO means perfect.. but if you guys are looking for the perfect NFL player at every position then you're going to be upset with what you find every single time. There is no pleasing some of you guys and that's ok..

You only choose to remember the little bit of negative when a guy leaves, and that's fine. I choose to remember a FOOTBALL player where it really matters... in the actual game.

he had well over 1,000 yards every season here when he was healthy, again, you can knock his durability there.. and has 46 rushing TDs as well. That doesn't highlight his blocking or any of his game as a receiver out the backfield.

But, people like you, choose to hate him because he played dress up with a few teammates. So did Cooley, you hate him too? His practice reputation sucked at times and I can't defend that... just shows how soft the coaches were. If you're and NFL RB making millions and you wanna prolong your career and durability by not practicing as much, if the coach let you get away with it, then you would too... regardless of your almighty attitude on a internet forum.

He had some issues, he talked too much at times...so what? If he was a perfect practice player and didn't run his mouth at all... we would likely have the EXACT same record that we have now... that's all that matters to me as a fan.

Oh, and we tried forever to go with a 2 back tandum.. remember Betts? He was dooky every year except one... but I guess that ONE year wipes away all of Portis' good years? The coaches never brought anyone in that could do ANYTHING behind the crappy o-lines we had...I guess that's on Portis too?

I don't "hate" the guy at all, I'm just calling it like I see it. Sure he had a bunch of rushing yards while he was probably right up there in rushing attempts too. My complete uninformed opinion is that Portis was the equivalent of a basketball ball hog and used his relationship with Snyder to pad his stats. I have nothing to back it up, but it has been known that he was buddy buddy with the owner.

And how can you assume I or anyone would slack off at practice if given the opportunity. I gauran-damn-tee you that London Fletcher never slacked off when he probably had plenty of opportunities. Sorry but I don't cater to the Allen Iverson "practice?" crap. That's garbage to me, and no I never did slack off while I was playing for nothing other than love of the game.

And the blocking back comment was more of a joke. That's what everyone would defend Portis with - "Well he blocks well!" Great, I want a RB that can do something other than block and stumble for 2, 3, or 4 yards. He's just vastly overrated by my fellow Skins fans - that's my only point. He was a workhorse RB on a crappy team that probably could've been filled by any other starting RB in the league. Again, he has zero moves, he's not shifty. He's painstakingly average.

And again I don't hate the guy or even dislike him. I stated in my post that I was halfway joking. He's a Skin so he's okay by me. I just honestly didn't think he was that good of a RB.

Classy . . . .

This may sound like a pipe dream....but I wonder if Shanny has made it clear to everyone that he is going to cut Portis to see if there is any interest in him from other teams. I'm not sure when CP is due more money, but IF the CBA can get done then maybe the Skins could trade him for a 5th Rounder to a team who could rework his contract and not have to compete with other teams (driving up his price)??? Thoughts? Just don't know why Shanny would telegraph an obvious move, when everyone knows Portis is done. Why not just cut him last week? Coincidence this is happening at the combine where a lot of communication between teams is happening???? I would take a 6th Rounder.

Archived