Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

First via Twitter, then Rotoworld/ESPN. Now Official: Clinton Portis has been released by the Redskins

Oldskool

RiotVillage Pete Riley

by TRAVISTAYL0R

Fox Sports just reported Mike Shanahan told them that the #Redskins are going to release Clinton Portis within 48 hours.

27 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Clinton Portis - RB - Redskins

Clinton Portis' release could take place as soon as Sunday, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.

This, after Redskins HC Mike Shanahan "hinted strongly" on Friday that Portis would be released this offseason. Limited to just 13 games due to injury the past two seasons, Portis will turn 30 in September. He averaged a respectable 4.2 yards per carry in 2010, but his days as a bell-cow back are clearly over. If he's to have any fantasy value in 2011, it will be as a hand-cuff.

Source: ESPN.com

Feb 26, 9:02 PM

RiotVillage Pete Riley

by TRAVISTAYL0R

Fox Sports just reported Mike Shanahan told them that the #Redskins are going to release Clinton Portis within 48 hours.

27 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

New this was coming. oh well, all things come to an end. Portis was my dude. True Redskin

thanks for the years of service CP

he had some great years as a redskins

probably time for all parties to move

hope he lands on his feet somewhere else

[your sig] That is a vicious kick to the face.

Regarding CP, this was seen coming from a mile away, and is the right move for the team to make. But it still sucks, CP fought hard for this team and was the lifeblood of the team for at least 5 seasons. It sucks we only really got to see him at his full potential during his time in Denver, though he performed admirably under Gibbs and should be commended for his efforts to adjust his skill set to fit Gibbs smashmouth scheme, Dear Joe really stunted his development by turning him into a bruiser. He's one of the few Skins players whose jersey I'll still be proud to rock even though he's no longer with the team.

CP's first handoff as a Redskins was a 76 yd beauty! Took it to the house.

Yeah, i remember as soon as he scored, I called my homeboy and all we could do was laugh deliriously like a couple of 10 year old school girls. It was a good feeling to go from Dung Candidate to CP.

thanks CP, i enjoyed the ride, and still hope its not over.. another thing id like to point out is CP's overall hustle and pursuit to tackle opposing players when there were turnovers by our offense. he couldve easily jogged down the field in semi pursuit, but he hustled, and made defensive plays too, and as some have already noted, CP is a crushing blocker, and a great running back! HAIL

I'm sad to see him go. Portis has done so much for this team. He single-handedly carried the offense for years. He got every yard that was there, and then some, and his blocking skills are almost legendary. He will be missed.

Sadly, his health is the biggest problem. He was on injured reserve for most of the past two seasons, and with his contract, he just is not worth it anymore.

That being said, I still think CP can be productive in a reduced role. He can still block as well as any back in the league, and he still has the speed when he is healthy. Even though he is getting long in the tooth, he can still be effective in the right situation. I would love to see us re-sign him at a reduced price if possible, but I do not know if that is realistic.

Archived