Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

First via Twitter, then Rotoworld/ESPN. Now Official: Clinton Portis has been released by the Redskins

Oldskool

lindsayczarniak Lindsay Czarniak

On assumption he will be released, Redskins Clinton Portis says:"the same passion I had playing for Coach Gibbs is not there"

3 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Portis once again showing his true colors.

Bye bye, don't let the door hit you.....

You know, at least CP speaks the truth. Why bash the guy? Would you rather hear something like McNabb? I prefer to hear how the player really feel. You have to respect his honesty. Also, kudos to him for giving it all to our team all these years. I hope he can find another team or come back to us cheaper. Best of luck to him though.

Seems like Shanny is open to the idea of bringing him back at a lower salary.
Yeah, it sounds that way. A lot depends on what kind of offers he gets on the open market. I think he can and will be productive for a couple more seasons, provided he is not injured. I do not know if he can stay off IR though.

---------- Post added February-27th-2011 at 09:50 PM ----------

Heck the same passion I had when rooting for the Redskins under Coach Gibbs isn't there either.
This was my first thought upon hearing this comment from CP. Gibbs is the kind of guy who gets the most out of his people. I think it was CP himself who said that when things went bad Gibbs took all the blame, and when things went well Gibbs gave his players all the credit, how can you not play hard for a guy like that?

Portis once again showing his true colors.

Bye bye, don't let the door hit you.....

He's speaking truth. I'm not a huge defender of Portis when he runs his mouth, but you know he's seen the writing on the wall. Relax and give the guy the credit he's due. One of the great redskins rbs.

You might want to watch it, mile. You DID over-react, and calling out mods isn't exactly the way to stick around.

What are you talking about? I broke no forum rules and called out no one. I did not insult anyone either. The great and might mod decided to dissect my post and reply with a smart remark, so i just praised the all knowing insider for his intelligence. What's so wrong about that and why should i be "scared" of sticking around?

Clinton Portis was the Washington Redskins. He has had a lot of haters since we traded champ for him, and in return has set a season rushing record, and almost a career rushing record. Clinton was what any team had to plan for when they played us, his rushing was outstanding, while not the home run threat, he was a consistent presence. He is also the best blocking back i have ever seen.

A lot of people don't like his off field antics, they point to southeast jerome saga the most. To those, I guess you forgot that he put the team on his back and we went 5 games in a row to the playoffs that year.

Thank you Clinton Portis for all you have brought to the Redskins from that very first snap! Good luck to you in your future endeavors.

What are you talking about? I broke no forum rules and called out no one. I did not insult anyone either. The great and might mod decided to dissect my post and reply with a smart remark, so i just praised the all knowing insider for his intelligence. What's so wrong about that and why should i be "scared" of sticking around?

Nobody said you should be "scared" of anything. And while you may not have broken any rules, you have continuously been a smart-ass, and disrespectful towards a mod. No skin off of our backs, and nothing wrong with some smart-assery, but I'm pretty sure Hitman's just pointing out that its not smart to antagonize the Moderators on the website they oversee.

Food for thought:

In games Clinton Portis has started since arriving in 2004, the Redskins are 40-45, for a 47% winning percentage. This does not sound very good, but consider this: In games CP has not started since arriving in 2004, the Redskins are 8-19, for a 29% winning percentage.

Hold on, it gets worse. In games where CP has carried the ball at least 20 times, the Redskins are 28-18, for a 60% winning percentage. In games where CP has carried the ball less than 20 times the Redskins are 20-46, for a 30% winning percentage.

In review, since Portis has arrived, the 'skins are 18% more likely to win when he starts, and 30% more likely to win when he gets 20+ carries. What that means is that the Redskins are a much better team with Portis than they are without him.

My point is that we are losing a very productive player, and we will have to replace that production. Furthermore, I am not so sure we have a back on the current roster who can do it. CP is probably at the end of his career, judging by the injuries that have plagued him the past couple years, but he leaves behind big shoes to fill.

That can be a misleading stat...because he's only being fed the ball 20+ times when we're ahead or close enough to win.
Which is why I also included the figures for every game Portis has started, and the 'skins were still much better in those games then they were in the ones he did not start.

Nobody said you should be "scared" of anything. And while you may not have broken any rules, you have continuously been a smart-ass, and disrespectful towards a mod. No skin off of our backs, and nothing wrong with some smart-assery, but I'm pretty sure Hitman's just pointing out that its not smart to antagonize the Moderators on the website they oversee.

Huh? I initially initiated nothing towards the mod. Actually, the mod was first disrespectful and smart to me with this quote directed at me: "Remember when I mentioned over reacting like a ninny? Perfect example right there." So it's ok for a mod to respond like that to another adult, but another adult can't provide a rebuttal to a mod (respectfully of course)? They're here to moderate, not dictate. They should be held to the same accountable standards as everyone else. They can dish it out, should take it right? All in fun.

No hard feelings though, i'm sure the mod was joking as i have a sense of humor.

Back on topic to ensure we're all following the rules here: best wishes to Portis :)

And 32 of those games came with Zorn as the head coach...
Horny for Zorny was better with Portis than without him too. Zorn won 41% when he had CP available, and only 37% when he did not have him available. Furthermore, the Redskins were a remarkable 9-4 when Portis had 20+ carries during the Zorn era.

You guys seem eager to poke holes in my argument, but the simple fact is that the Redskins are a better team when CP plays. It will be hard to find such a difference-maker to take his place, especially if you look on our current roster.

Sorry to burst your....bubble....but you do know Moss is likely going to be back, don't you?

I could live with this IF we get a true #1 receiver. Be it, through the draft (Green or Jones), or through free agency (Sidney Rice, perhaps).

---------- Post added February-27th-2011 at 11:17 PM ----------

That can be a misleading stat...because he's only being fed the ball 20+ times when we're ahead or close enough to win.

Exactly. I hate misleading stats.

Exactly. I hate misleading stats.
I don't see how my stats are misleaded. I took the largest sample size available, which is every game that Portis has played since he got here in 2004, and every game that the Redskins have played in that time. I did also reference the games in which Portis had 20+ carries, but it is not as though I put that number up by itself with no context. It is not as if I left something out to fudge the numbers.

The point is that the Redskins win more often when CP starts, and even more often when he gets a heavy workload. Would you say that is not the case? Do the numbers not demonstrate that?

See ya later! Make sure to take those stupid personalities with you. Go play dress up somewhere else.

---------- Post added February-27th-2011 at 02:45 PM ----------

Yeah, Portis playing for less money.

This is the same guy that said "Portis Pockets Straight", let's remember. I don't see why this guy is so loved. He has the moves of my grandmother and benefitted from a good OL whenever he did have success. And this year was just sad watching him trip over grass. His no practice attitude also rubbed me the wrong way because sure enough he was gonna want all the playing time and I'm guessing he used his relationship with Snyder to get it done.

"Aww Redskins suck but hey Portis had a good year!" The guy is a diva and an overrated back. While the entire NFL was going to a two and sometimes three back system, we've been stuck with Portis grinding out 1-2 yards per run.

And don't even get me started on the "best blocking back in the NFL" comments. Woopty-freaking-doo. You know its bad when the best thing you can say about your starting RB is "He blocks really well!". And I'm sure people think I'm coming down hard on him, but this is all in half jest. But there is definitely some truth behind it.

Yeah this just reminded not to feel to sorry for him, because his attitude changed the hole culture of the Redskins team. I think alot of Redskin players stopped practising because they seen CP get away without practising.

After all we've been thru, in the past however many years, its hard to hate on CP.

However, that being said..

Perhaps this is a way of "fixing the culture", so to speak.

Creating drama, after all, would only disinterest potential future franchise players.. (amongst the many other headaches a disgruntled CP could create).

Perhaps Carlos could fall victim to a "culture shock" as well. We don't know.. But we shall see..

^geesh.. what have i become? :P

Oh yeh.. CP! Christian Ponder anyone? :D

^ its kinda relevant :whoknows:

wr • qb

Archived