Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

First via Twitter, then Rotoworld/ESPN. Now Official: Clinton Portis has been released by the Redskins

Oldskool

McGahee is either 30 or soon will be. This team needs to get younger, not older.

I was thinking that, but he hasn't been a feature back by any means for a while, so he still has a lot of tread on the tires. A lot of people thought Ricky Williams wasn't a good pickup for the Dolphins, but he had a great year his first one back.

I was thinking that, but he hasn't been a feature back by any means for a while, so he still has a lot of tread on the tires. A lot of people thought Ricky Williams wasn't a good pickup for the Dolphins, but he had a great year his first one back.

McGahee is sitting at 1541 touches for his career at age 29. Portis was at 1710 touches and about 26-27 when the wheels started to come off. He's going to want to get guaranteed money as he probably won't be in the league much longer.

DangerWillRobinson.jpg

Love CP. I remember when he first came here he was silky smooth. He ran like a gazelle. We've put him through the ringer during his time here but I'll never forget the good times. There were games where he put us on his back and literally carried us to victory.

Best of luck to the guy, so sorry things didn't work out as well they should have. If he had stayed in Denver he might have Hall of Fame numbers by now. I'll miss you CP

McGahee is sitting at 1541 touches for his career at age 29. Portis was at 1710 touches and about 26-27 when the wheels started to come off. He's going to want to get guaranteed money as he probably won't be in the league much longer.

So you're saying McGahee has about 200 more carries till the wheels come off? ;)

Larry Johnson - age 31 - 1426 carries - where is he right now????

The only RB with huge mileage that I can remember making any kind of significant contribution was Tomlinson last year. He did this as a part time player behind one of the leagues best OL though.

I'll definitely feel a little sad if Portis has played his last down as a Redskin. His time here had it's up and downs, but you can't say he didn't give it his all on game day. I'll still wear my 26 jersey proudly and look forward to seeing him in the Ring of Fame someday. Heck of a ride, CP.

Character issues play a part in that and he didnt fit the ZB scheme here

I was piggy backing on what Oldskool was saying about carries. I do not think that his character issues (from KC) were a reason he did not make it in DC. I do not remember him saying anything to get cut. I also think he would have been a great ZBS running back if he was the same player he was four years ago. In fact, IMO, most RB's are fine for the ZBS. It is a mentality not a physical thing for RBs.

If he was still doing well, someone would have picked him up last year, no one did.

Archived