Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

First via Twitter, then Rotoworld/ESPN. Now Official: Clinton Portis has been released by the Redskins

Oldskool

Theoretically, bubble, how would you like this lineup:

Rice

Hankerson

Moss

Armstrong

Kelly

First off, it wouldn't make much sense resigning Moss + adding Rice + drafting a WR. Besides all that, I'm not that big of a Hankerson fan. And if you haven't noticed, I'm not real high on guys coming out of that particular school.:)

I would like Rice, for the right price. Sure. But something tells me if we were to sign him, we probably overpaid for him. But its not my money. I like Armstrong. Not high on Kelly either.

I guess to answer your question, I wouldn't mind keeping Moss if we could sign a guy like Rice. We could then move Moss to his natural position; the slot.

Something tells me we're gonna end up with this Von Miller kid, if he falls to 10.

Been waiting for this day for 2+ years!! What have we ever won with Clinton? The one or two playoff games he did participate in, he was horrid!! The years he gained all of those yards he was the focal point of our offense..... 30+ carries a game, of course he is going to rack up yardage, all those carries and he had I think 1 or 2 40+ yard runs his entire time here. Finally moving on from this horrible era in Redskins History. HTTR!!!

Been waiting for this day for 2+ years!! What have we ever won with Clinton? The one or two playoff games he did participate in, he was horrid!! The years he gained all of those yards he was the focal point of our offense..... 30+ carries a game, of course he is going to rack up yardage, all those carries and he had I think 1 or 2 40+ yard runs his entire time here. Finally moving on from this horrible era in Redskins History. HTTR!!!

That's blatantly false. Drop the agenda.

That's blatantly false. Drop the agenda.

The truth hurts bro.....Look it up for yourself :)

Here, I did the legwork for you. http://www.nfl.com/players/ClintonPortis/careerstats?id=POR792942

Since 2004 he has had 4 40+ yard runs. In comparison Ladanian Tomlinson (fair comparison) has had 15 40+ runs. Face it... he was an overpaid diva for his time in Washington who should never have earned that type of money. Any NFL RB if healthy and got his carries would have had the yards he did....Probably more.

Here, I did the legwork for you. http://www.nfl.com/players/ClintonPortis/careerstats?id=POR792942

Since 2004 he has had 4 40+ yard runs. In comparison Ladanian Tomlinson (fair comparison) has had 15 40+ runs. Face it... he was an overpaid diva for his time in Washington who should never have earned that type of money. Any NFL RB if healthy and got his carries would have had the yards he did....Probably more.

What do you expect when your down field blockers are Moss and ARE. Most of those runs he wasn't chased down from behind. Just to many defenders ahead of him getting off their blocks.

This post is wrong in so many ways. Here are just a few:

1) Asking what we have won with Portis is unfair, since football is a team sport. The team has not been very good for most of his tenure, but he made them better. If it were not for Portis, we would have been worse. (See post #189 if you want the numbers on this). A better question would be: What has Portis done for us? The answer to that question is that he set the Redskins single-season rushing record, is the Redskins 2nd all-time in rushing yards, and was the most productive player we had on offense for years.

2) Although it is true that CP was not all that productive in the playoffs, you negelct to mention that he was the one who carried us to the playoffs in the first place.

3) He had 30+ carries exactly 4 times in 85 starts. The season he set the team record for yards, he did not carry the ball 30 times in a game even once.

4) You arbitrarily cherry picked a stat of how many 40+ yard runs he had, and you did not even get that right. As somebody else pointed out, he had many runs of 20+ yards.

5) The horrible era in Redskins history is the Dan Snder era, not the Clinton Portis era. In fact, the most success we have had during the Snyder era was when Portis was most productive.

I could go on, but I fear your mind is already made up about this, and no amount of reasoning will change it. You should at least try to get your facts straight though.

You're so full of it.

So any running back could do it, why didn't they?

What kind of Oline did Tomlinson have vs. CP? How about quarterback play?

Here is a FACT for you, in the history of the Washington Redskins there is only one player who produced more yards per game played than Clinton Portis and that is a Kick Returner (Brian Mitchell).

In terms of only counting rushing and receiving, Clinton produced 97.19 yards per game. The next closest player who gained their yards by rushing and receiving (ie Running backs and Wide Receivers) is Terry Allen at 92.54 and he played in 32 fewer games.

Anyone who does not recognize that Clinton Portis has been one of the most productive players in team history, is simply ignorant of that history and thus the value of their opinion is the equal of a speck of dirt.

it was defintiley time for the Redskins and Portis to split up, but he still left us with some good memories.

even apart from his first-ever run as a Redskin:

-rushing TD to seal the week 16 win vs NYG in 2005

-the juke against the Vikings on his TD run in 2007

-TD run against the Cowboys where he split the DBs and then flipped into the endzone week 17 in 2007

i dont care what you think about Clinton Portis - those were pretty epic moments on huge stages. Redskins fans havent had a lot to cheer for, but there was actual, real-life hope that came out of those plays.

again, time for both sides to move on. whatever you think of Portis, though, you have to at least realize this - take him away from this era of the Redskins, and what would we have had to cheer for at all? not a whole lot.

In comparison Ladanian Tomlinson (fair comparison) has had 15 40+ runs.
You have a funny way of manipulating numbers to support your agenda. This is not a "fair comparison." LT is far and away the best running back of this era. Every other running back from the past decade is inferior to LT. If all you are saying is that CP was not as good as LT, I think we would all agree with that, but that really is not saying much.

-rushing TD to seal the week 16 win vs NYG in 2005

-the juke against the Vikings on his TD run in 2007

-TD run against the Cowboys where he split the DBs and then flipped into the endzone week 17 in 2007

What about the time he held on to Sellers' jersey in the AZ game on the screen pass...

Good riddance Portis. You have been full of **** for the last several years here as obvious by your BS answers in that interview blatantly confirming what plenty of people could see in that you've been mailing it in since 07.

I dont wish you any luck at all shall you continue your career. Goodbye.

Archived