Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

anyone just hear Gibbs on Mike & Mike?

NoCalMike

Oddly enough, the Eagles are the one NFC East without a notorious case of the snow nose (unless someone can refresh my memory there).

Chris Carter in his early years. But I don't remember hearing about it until years later when CC was sober and winning with the Vikings.

So all this Coke talk is great but, anyone have a rundown of what all Gibbs said? And why was Greenberg saying "where is your messiah now?"

Oh, come now. Did he really say that?

---------- Post added February-1st-2011 at 01:00 PM ----------

I can't imagine how BRUTAL the feeling of regret is with St. Joe for that oversight ... my god, it must KILL him.

:mad:

Yeah, that must be awful. If the Redskins went into Tampa and took care of business, I think we would've been the co-team of the 1980s

I don't know about coke, but they have all admitted that they partied too much and were not ready to play. They have all also said that that was the best thing that could have happened to them because they were gettin full of themselves. Every single guy has said at one time or another that they never forgot that game and always made them work harder to make up for it.

I don't know about the superbowl in particular, but many years ago I had a friend who did some work for several Redskins players during that time. I don't want to say what he did or incriminate him in any way, but he was at several player parties where he told me there were "bowls full" of coke on the table. From what I understand, it was pretty common throughout the NFL. I believe him.

I don't know about the superbowl in particular, but many years ago I had a friend who did some work for several Redskins players during that time. I don't want to say what he did or incriminate him in any way, but he was at several player parties where he told me there were "bowls full" of coke on the table. From what I understand, it was pretty common throughout the NFL. I believe him.

But...but...but...Redskins are heroes.

Yea....the perception that the team wants to give is that Dexter was out alone on his little island with his drug habit. But I always assumed that he was just the one least able to handle it.

There's an entire generation of us who were completely propagandized by the Len Bias Tragedy. And I remember being told repeatedly, "That was the first time he ever did cocaine.....Don't you see how dangerous it is?"

The truth is, cocaine is just like any other drug - if more potent and slightly more addictive. Some people can do it "casually" and walk away from it. Some can't. If you were young and rich in the late 70s and early 80s, you certainly saw it and probably tried it. The good news is, you were probably snorting **** that was cut with flour and god knows what else.

The best description of cocaine I ever heard came from Robin Williams (who almost certainly stole the quote). He was asked, "What does cocaine make you feel like?" He answered, "It makes you feel like you want to do more cocaine."

Of course it was...we KNOW of two guys in the span of a couple years who got in trouble for coke (Barry Wilburn and Dexter Manley) so logic would lead you to believe that was the tip of the iceberg.

I agree with Gibbs that the Super Bowl loss was the toughest to take.

I disagree that we were outplayed in 7 of 8 quarters against the Raiders. We led 17-7 at ht of the regular season game and extended it to 20-7 early in the 3rd. The Raiders took control from then on until about the 9min mark or so of the 4th quarter. I'd say the Skins were only outplayed for about a quarter in that game.

As for the Super Bowl, watching it again a few years ago after not having seen it since that infamous day, I was struck by how even that game was in the first quarter. The blocked punt got the Raiders their only score and both teams seemed to be even. I had bought into the notion that the Skins were partying too much and weren't ready for the game but the blown punt block notwithstanding, their play in the first quarter didn't seem to reflect this alleged lack of focus. In fact overall, the play on the field seemed even with a slight lean towards the Raiders until about midway of the 3rd quarter. The Raiders had two cheap/fluke scores (punt block and rocket screen) that got them a 21-3 lead but that score was not representative of the play on the field. The Skins score right after halftime to make it 21-9 (damn extra point) and I think they were driving in Raiders territory on the next series before being stopped. It was all Raiders after that. So even in that game the Skins were only truly outplayed (physically beaten) for about 1 and a half to 2 quarters.

As for my own other personal tough Gibbs era losses:

-1984 playoffs to the Bears. I know we were hurt and all but how can we lose to a team lead by a third string scrub (McMahon and Landry were out with injuries) like Steve Fuller was just awful. At home no less.

-1985 vs. Eagles. Losing to the awful Eagles indicated that the team wasn't the team we once knew anymore.

-1986 vs. Giants. These "showdown" games were games we always won. I thought the Skins were the best team in football at this point (11-2) and were going to show it against the Giants. Instead we got roughed up and I think this is the game that is keeping Joe Jacoby out of the HoF. He was just destroyed.

-1989 vs Eagles. Oh Gerald Riggs.

-1989 vs Cowboys. Losing to winless Dallas was the lowest point in the Gibbs Era for me.

That's a great history lesson there Scruffy! Really enjoyed going down memory lane.

One thing I realize about terrible losses in the Gibbs eras is that they were characterized as terrible because we were a very good team. If we wernt good then the losses wouldn't really matter, but its because Gibbs made the team expect to be in a Super Bowl every year that the losses became unbearable. Every SB Jack Kent Cooke used to always say "we look to get another one next year" ..lol

I'm really thankful I got to see two Super Bowls by Gibbs

Of course it was...we KNOW of two guys in the span of a couple years who got in trouble for coke (Barry Wilburn and Dexter Manley) so logic would lead you to believe that was the tip of the iceberg.

Don't forget about Tony Peters. He was hauled away from his dorm room in Carlysle during training camp as cops served a warrant for his involvement in a coke investigation.

Yea....the perception that the team wants to give is that Dexter was out alone on his little island with his drug habit. But I always assumed that he was just the one least able to handle it.

There's an entire generation of us who were completely propagandized by the Len Bias Tragedy. And I remember being told repeatedly' date=' "That was the first time he ever did cocaine.....Don't you see how dangerous it is?"

The truth is, cocaine is just like any other drug - if more potent and slightly more addictive. Some people can do it "casually" and walk away from it. Some can't. If you were young and rich in the late 70s and early 80s, you certainly saw it and probably tried it. The good news is, you were probably snorting **** that was cut with flour and god knows what else.

The best description of cocaine I ever heard came from Robin Williams (who almost certainly stole the quote). He was asked, "What does cocaine make you feel like?" He answered, "It makes you feel like you want to do more cocaine."[/quote']

The thing about this drug is that it affects everyone who does it differently. Some describe it as having that addictive control the moment they touch it, while others can do it over and over again and never get hooked.

Dexter was not alone, and Coke is still going in the NFL today. Truth is several players I know are still using it as a recreation drug today. Anyone thinking otherwise is wrong.

Joe Gibbs was wrong to call out Russ Grimm. Just as he was wrong when he left the team in 2007 without even talking to Buges . Sorry folks-Joe Gibbs is NOT a god! He coached that team to an embarrassing loss!

He also coached them to three Super Bowl victories. Not too many other coaches can say the same thing.

Joe Gibbs was wrong to call out Russ Grimm. Just as he was wrong when he left the team in 2007 without even talking to Buges . Sorry folks-Joe Gibbs is NOT a god! He coached that team to an embarrassing loss!

Wow I didn't know Bugel was his agent? When did that happen? I think Gibbs, Grimm and the rest of the team made up for "their" mistake by winning in 1988 and 1992. You think?

Archived