Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

anyone just hear Gibbs on Mike & Mike?

NoCalMike

I agree in terms of effect and harm to a person but before football games ? When I watch said player/ players and they suck it up then I can't help but wonder " how high is this guy "..

You don't have to give us names...just initials/numbers/position. Only kidding...but now I'm trying to figure it out.

One question you may or may not want to answer...is it known by all in the locker room that this is going on? It seems like the type of thing that Daniels, Fletcher, etc. would be pissed about.

Re my earlier post....you guys forget Ithat in 1984, the whole O-line got hurt and they were still 11-5 which is hardly sucking. Yes they missed the playoffs in 85 but were 10-6 and replace Joe and John and then won a Super Bowl, so that is hardly sucking.

I agree in terms of effect and harm to a person but before football games ? When I watch said player/ players and they suck it up then I can't help but wonder " how high is this guy "..

Yea I can't agree with getting high before a game. The impact of pot on 99 percent of people is it makes you sleepy, hungry and want to laugh at random stuff

Even though I strongly strongly disapporve of coke, I can actually see how it helps on the football field

Re my earlier post....you guys forget Ithat in 1984, the whole O-line got hurt and they were still 11-5 which is hardly sucking. Yes they missed the playoffs in 85 but were 10-6 and replace Joe and John and then won a Super Bowl, so that is hardly sucking.

I was mostly tongue-in-cheek as some of the players from 1983 were still there in 1987. However, I wouldn't call going from 14-2 (with 2 one-point losses and an NFC Championship) to 11-5 to 10-6 in the span of 2 years much of a re-dedication. Of course, the teams under Gibbs in that time frame never sucked. Hell, even the 1988 team that went 7-9 didn't suck (in retrospect). I just really don't believe that vow had anything to do with them winning the Super Bowl 4 years later with many new players. And, I think they win the Super Bowl in 1987 with or without that reality check, so my preference would be going ahead and grabbing the W against the Raiders and having an extra ring for my favorite team.

Having said all that, I maintain that the Raiders were probably just a team that we didn't match up well against in 1983. I would assume we'd have won that Super Bowl against any other AFC opponent and lost to the Raiders even if the players had all gone to bed by 8pm the night before. Like I said, they had us dead to rights earlier in the year before a pretty miraculous comeback at RFK. So, if you take the 35-20 deficit well into the 4th quarter in October and the 38-9 loss in the Super Bowl, they outplayed our Skins for about 113 of the 120 minutes that season.

Having said that, not to be skeptical or anything, but I'm really wondering if a collective hangover could really be the cause of such a dominating game. I'm sure it contributed, but I really wonder if the Redskins would have won that game even at 100%. Keep in mind, they played 8 quarters vs. the Raiders that year and got outplayed in 7 of them.

I agree. It seems the Raiders were the worst matchup in that Superbowl.

If we play the Jim Zorn led Seahawks, I am pretty sure we repeat and have another great season in 1984

Guys that are currently a skin or currently playing I won't give names, numbers ect out of respect. Monts gone though and don't see him having political aspirations or anything but that didn't affect Clinton or Obama either.

I was completely joking. I understand you not wanting to give that type of information. Honestly, it's not any of our business how they handle themselves before a game. If it's a big enough issue, it'll get to the coaches and be taken care of.

Thanks again for all the information you provide LL!

---------- Post added February-1st-2011 at 09:58 AM ----------

I agree. It seems the Raiders were the worst matchup in that Superbowl.

If we play the Jim Zorn led Seahawks, I am pretty sure we repeat and have another great season in 1984

Can you imagine if we won in 1982, won in 1983, and had our same season in 1984? Three straight NFC East championships, two straight Super Bowl championships, etc. We'd have 4 rings in 5 attempts and probably be the dynasty of the 1980s (though I guess the 49ers would still be right there with what they did at the end of the decade).

You don't have to give us names...just initials/numbers/position. Only kidding...but now I'm trying to figure it out.

One question you may or may not want to answer...is it known by all in the locker room that this is going on? It seems like the type of thing that Daniels, Fletcher, etc. would be pissed about.

They might know some but not all there's clicks on a team just like everywhere else in life. While London is having players over to his house for worship and bible study there's someone gettin guys together to play cards and smokeout the basement/ garage.

Yea I can't agree with getting high before a game. The impact of pot on 99 percent of people is it makes you sleepy, hungry and want to laugh at random stuff

Even though I strongly strongly disapporve of coke, I can actually see how it helps on the football field

Coke speeds you up, weed slows you down.

I'm very disappointed in Moss. Shame on you! You aren't that quick anymore.

JK re: Moss but it wouldn't surprise me.

Can you imagine if we won in 1982, won in 1983, and had our same season in 1984? Three straight NFC East championships, two straight Super Bowl championships, etc. We'd have 4 rings in 5 attempts and probably be the dynasty of the 1980s (though I guess the 49ers would still be right there with what they did at the end of the decade).

Even though the Redskins went 11-5 in 1984, it clearly was a hangover year.

Starting off 0-2 by losing to the Superbowl teams, and then losing a home playoff game to Chicago (and having watched a replay of that game, I am convinced there is no way Chicago wins that game with the way the rules are enforced in 2011. Quite a few hits that wouldn't fly today)

Its crazy to think that the Redskins were 4 points away from a 3rd straight NFC title game, against a team that they did actually matchup fairly decent against.

I have no clue how our secondary would have done against Marino in the Superbowl

They might know some but not all there's clicks on a team just like everywhere else in life. While London is having players over to his house for worship and bible study there's someone gettin guys together to play cards and smokeout the basement/ garage.

I'd guess that you have that on most teams...I would assume it's very rare to have a locker room of all players who are exactly the same (especially when you have 22-year olds and 38-year olds on the same team).

Marijuana is not a biggie though...coke on the other hand is a no no

This may be Nancy Reagan's legacy.

---------- Post added February-1st-2011 at 11:41 AM ----------

My understanding with pro athletes is that a) you don't really know these guys and B) they aren't each other's baby sitters.

Yes, we think that Daniels and Fletcher are 100 percent professionals at all times who demand that everyone behave the way they do (which is clean living). But we don't know that this is true or even that they are choirboys. I'm sure every locker room has its Christian corner and thug corner and pothead corner and redneck corner and Playstation corner. The good teams are able to bring these groups into some kind of balance.

The Steelers' best three defensive players are James Harrison - a workout freak with a violent temper and off the field issues, Troy Polamalu - a deeply religious family man who has apparently never lifted a weight, and Casey Hampton - a 350 pound freak of nature who loves eating multiple Steak Sandwiches at Morton's and drinking Patron (I know his real estate agent). I doubt these three agree on anything, yet, they are the "leaders" of that team.

I agree with Gibbs that the Super Bowl loss was the toughest to take.

I disagree that we were outplayed in 7 of 8 quarters against the Raiders. We led 17-7 at ht of the regular season game and extended it to 20-7 early in the 3rd. The Raiders took control from then on until about the 9min mark or so of the 4th quarter. I'd say the Skins were only outplayed for about a quarter in that game.

As for the Super Bowl, watching it again a few years ago after not having seen it since that infamous day, I was struck by how even that game was in the first quarter. The blocked punt got the Raiders their only score and both teams seemed to be even. I had bought into the notion that the Skins were partying too much and weren't ready for the game but the blown punt block notwithstanding, their play in the first quarter didn't seem to reflect this alleged lack of focus. In fact overall, the play on the field seemed even with a slight lean towards the Raiders until about midway of the 3rd quarter. The Raiders had two cheap/fluke scores (punt block and rocket screen) that got them a 21-3 lead but that score was not representative of the play on the field. The Skins score right after halftime to make it 21-9 (damn extra point) and I think they were driving in Raiders territory on the next series before being stopped. It was all Raiders after that. So even in that game the Skins were only truly outplayed (physically beaten) for about 1 and a half to 2 quarters.

As for my own other personal tough Gibbs era losses:

-1984 playoffs to the Bears. I know we were hurt and all but how can we lose to a team lead by a third string scrub (McMahon and Landry were out with injuries) like Steve Fuller was just awful. At home no less.

-1985 vs. Eagles. Losing to the awful Eagles indicated that the team wasn't the team we once knew anymore.

-1986 vs. Giants. These "showdown" games were games we always won. I thought the Skins were the best team in football at this point (11-2) and were going to show it against the Giants. Instead we got roughed up and I think this is the game that is keeping Joe Jacoby out of the HoF. He was just destroyed.

-1989 vs Eagles. Oh Gerald Riggs.

-1989 vs Cowboys. Losing to winless Dallas was the lowest point in the Gibbs Era for me.

Good post Scruffy...I will take back my assessment of the regular season game since I never saw it live. I made an assumption based on the score. Thanks for the correction! As for the Super Bowl, you could make the argument that, Raider TDs aside, anytime THAT Redskin offense was held to 3 points at the half, the scorecard has to go to the opposition. Even if the score should have been 7-3 (instead of 21-3), you'd give the Raiders the nod.

As for your tough losses, I remember them all and the two that stick out the most to me were the 0-3 record against New York in 1986 (we were easily the second-best team in the NFL that year) and the 1989 loss to Philly. I'd also add the loss to SF in the 1990 playoffs. We played them very even that game and were just plagued by red zone turnovers (the 28-10 final was not very representative of how well we played).

Troy Polamalu - a deeply religious family man who has apparently never lifted a weight

I watched a video of his workout routine, its crazy how he never uses a weight thats over 20 pounds ever but his explanation of his routine makes a lot of sense.

It's not surprising that many players were coked up in the 80's. I don't think coke stays in your system a long time like weed, so there are probably players who snort some here and there now and get away with it. This could be complete internet BS, but I read something about Brett Favre on a Chicago Bears forum. This one poster from Florida said he is good friends with a stripper chick who supposedly had a threesome and snorted coke all night in a hotel room with Brett Favre when he was in Tampa playing the Bucs. I think he was with the Packers at the time. The guy who said that could be full of crap though. Who knows.

Yeah a good amount of the guys would do coke out of there playbooks while in meetings at Redskins park.Superbowl week I'm sure wouldn't be any different with the partying.

Why do I think the Raiders weren't exactly squeaky clean at the time?

Coke or no, I'm going with the Raiders spying/cheating theory.

Good post Scruffy...I will take back my assessment of the regular season game since I never saw it live. I made an assumption based on the score. Thanks for the correction! As for the Super Bowl, you could make the argument that, Raider TDs aside, anytime THAT Redskin offense was held to 3 points at the half, the scorecard has to go to the opposition. Even if the score should have been 7-3 (instead of 21-3), you'd give the Raiders the nod.

As for your tough losses, I remember them all and the two that stick out the most to me were the 0-3 record against New York in 1986 (we were easily the second-best team in the NFL that year) and the 1989 loss to Philly. I'd also add the loss to SF in the 1990 playoffs. We played them very even that game and were just plagued by red zone turnovers (the 28-10 final was not very representative of how well we played).

That Raider game may make it's way to a video sharing site near you at some point in the future :) and you can watch it if you like. It's in the top 5 for me of favorite Redskins games (this includes playoff games too).

I agree with you TD about the Raiders D doing a great job at shutting down that O. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the Skins outplayed the Raiders at all in that game. It was even, at best, for the Skins for the first 2 plus quarters. I also do agree with you that in the end, the Raiders were the best team that day and given how close they were to beating us at RFK in October without the services of Marcus Allen they were the better team overall. That is still a tough thing for me to swallow because I just love that 83 team and season up until January 22, 1984.

Side note, the irony is that of all the Skins Super Bowls, it was Super Bowl 22 where the Redskins seemed to come out flattest and seemed totally overmatched. That's the type of first quarter performance I'd expect to see from a team that was partying too much the entire week and wasn't taking the game serious enough.

Good point about the 90 Niners playoff game. You're right that score is not representative of that game. That was a tough loss too. That game seemed like a great representative of the 90 Skins. One moment they looked great, the next they did something stupid and looked bad.

That Raider game may make it's way to a video sharing site near you at some point in the future :) and you can watch it if you like. It's in the top 5 for me of favorite Redskins games (this includes playoff games too).

I agree with you TD about the Raiders D doing a great job at shutting down that O. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the Skins outplayed the Raiders at all in that game. It was even, at best, for the Skins for the first 2 plus quarters. I also do agree with you that in the end, the Raiders were the best team that day and given how close they were to beating us at RFK in October without the services of Marcus Allen they were the better team overall. That is still a tough thing for me to swallow because I just love that 83 team and season up until January 22, 1984.

Yeah...it's tough, though I was just getting into Redskin football during the 1982 and 1983 season. I remember we had a Super Bowl party and there were Raider fans who came. I think all the Redskin fans were so ****y that we'd just roll over them!

Side note, the irony is that of all the Skins Super Bowls, it was Super Bowl 22 where the Redskins seemed to come out flattest and seemed totally overmatched. That's the type of first quarter performance I'd expect to see from a team that was partying too much the entire week and wasn't taking the game serious enough.

That's a good point. That was my favorite season/team and boy was I crushed in the first 15 minutes of that game. I remember my aunt from Colorado calling us to talk trash. I was DEVASTATED (10 years old...so I didn't have much else going on those days).

Good point about the 90 Niners playoff game. You're right that score is not representative of that game. That was a tough loss too. That game seemed like a great representative of the 90 Skins. One moment they looked great, the next they did something stupid and looked bad.

Yep...the 1986 and 1990 teams were fun/tough to watch!

Yes, it was the SB loss to the Raiders.

Before that, he was talking about how he made the mistake of giving too much freedom to the players the night before. He didn't have a curfew like they had the year prior, and Russ Grimm got some guys together and they went out. He blames that for the main reason the team lost.

I can't imagine how BRUTAL the feeling of regret is with St. Joe for that oversight ... my god, it must KILL him.

:mad:

Exhibits A, B, and C

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcScrIqjjz26_U_xdj6cDVtw7ciXd34N0u7SwcD3JjIllk_RJ8P8

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTF2sms1tWi5-5ZcNaCs_DRooYXahziLoT_EEyZ4Ta26sWm_qVMqA

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHY1qdLPPMHBbt7Ww44e4UlwkCb55hluDgVlSq61gBr2tS9RpP

Oddly enough, the Eagles are the one NFC East without a notorious case of the snow nose (unless someone can refresh my memory there).

Archived