Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sarah Palin Can't Comprehend the "Sputnik Moment"

Boss_Hogg

Well you are in the over 40 crowd which grew up with it. So I would have left you out for that reason alone.

What kind of analogy did Henry say it was? Weak?? But yet we have everyone that hates Palin jump in with a "I'm just a kid and EVEN I know what it was". So we have a group of people that came of age post cold war for the most part that "got" the weak analogy as if it were clear as day. Not buying it.

Errr ... my point was when Obama said it I thought 'I'm not seeing a sputnik moment here' but I knew what the hell he was talking about. If Palin had simply said she disagreed with Obama I actually would have been on her side. But it's painfully obvious she doesn't even bother to educate herself well enough to even know HOW to disagree with the President.

Watching her is like watching the auditions on American Idol of people who have no clue they can't sing at all. Except in Palin's case the judges keep telling her she's amazing. Apparently they do this because it's funny watching the expressions of disbelief on our faces.

You'll note that I didn't say she was right. I think she is pretty "dumb" relative to other people of her "stature" or influence or whatever you want to call it. What 'm saying is that not everyone that is claiming they knew what it was did. Just an opinion...just like yours that anyone with half a brain automatically knows.

It's basic American history. I'm sure there are people completely ignorant of basic history that will hold her up as their champion now, and accuse anyone with a basic grade-school education of being an intellectual snob. But this is not the history of the Crimean War or something. It's basic, 20th century American Cold War stuff. Something any patriotic America-loving Commie-hating red-blooded American would know. She might as well have said 'was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?' It was funny on the same level.

Oh, and for those of you who may not have known ahead of time what Obama was talking about. He spelled it out for us in his speech, just in case:

"Half a century ago, when the Soviets beat us into space with the launch of a satellite called Sputnik, we had no idea how we'd beat them to the moon. The science wasn't there yet. NASA didn't even exist. But after investing in better research and education, we didn't just surpass the Soviets; we unleashed a wave of innovation that created new industries and millions of new jobs. This is our generation's Sputnik moment."

Well you are in the over 40 crowd which grew up with it. So I would have left you out for that reason alone.

What kind of analogy did Henry say it was? Weak?? But yet we have everyone that hates Palin jump in with a "I'm just a kid and EVEN I know what it was". So we have a group of people that came of age post cold war for the most part that "got" the weak analogy as if it were clear as day. Not buying it.

You'll note that I didn't say she was right. I think she is pretty "dumb" relative to other people of her "stature" or influence or whatever you want to call it. What 'm saying is that not everyone that is claiming they knew what it was did. Just an opinion...just like yours that anyone with half a brain automatically knows.

I like being called a liar...even if indirectly.

Newsflash: some of us paid attention in school, oh and we can find all 50 states on a map too.

But apparently covered more by LEFT WING Hate Cable

Just because you type ridiculous things doesn't make them so. You aren't fooling anyone here.

Perhaps you might focus on the CURRENT heart beat away Gaff Machine whose uncontrolled temper we seen during the Thomas Hearings....maybe we should analyze HIS issues with the NUC FOOTBALL?

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=3627355n

"I havn't lost my temper in a long while"...isn't THAT a relief for someone One Heart Beat Away NOW ?

When the left attacks Palin.....there is less time to Analyze the Great Failure that is the Obama Administration

I'l take Biden over Palin as a leader in Washington 10 out of 10 times. In fact I would be entirely comfortable with him stepping in as President should it be necessary. Notice that I didn't need to run away from the guy I supported like you're doing with Palin. How sad for you.

i do note, and frankly, if you were one of her supporters, I'd be disappointed.

I'm sure quite a few people will just jump on the bandwagon.. or at least I would hope that if they didn't know what it was, they went and looked it up. Reading about Sputnik and the immediate shock wave that it sent thru the world should allow most people to put 2 and 2 together and figure out what the President is saying.

I certainly hope that my being over 40 is the NOT only reason I know about Sputnik and it's impact. I mean.. what happened as a result of Sputnik is an integral part of our national history.. a thing of pride.

It would be a damned shame if it was not being taught the way it went... and if not in schools, at home. I don't know about you guys, but my son and I discuss history a lot.. (It's one of my fav. subjects).. i believe that knowing how we got here will help us continue forward.

The "sputnik moment" in her mind seems to be a celebration of things Soviet.. (or she's crafted it so her lockstep followers ball up their fists and bristle at anyone painted to be praising the Soviets. In all honesty, I can't decide which it is. I can't believe anyone could be so genuinely stupid in her position. At the very least there's people on her staff that can straighten her out. But in hearing the response to the question, all set with references to this "spudnuts" bakery.. the only thing I can think is that the question was scripted so she could talk about that and use it to once again paint the picture. And THAT is where I really get irritated. They're well aware of what she's saying, even if she's not.)

Anyway, the fact is, the Soviet "moment" led directly to our superiority. Much as Axis actions prompted our reactions in WW2 and set us as a superpower, much as British actions set in motion our reactions that created the country in the first place.

One thing I was always taught is that the American spirit is partly defined by the old phrase 'when the going gets tough, the tough get going".. and boy do we ever.

It's been one of this nation's greatest strengths... the ability to tackle adversity with "good ol' American know-how". Translated: Our national ability to encourage and adapt and implement new technology and solutions to meet the challenges facing us.

And when this bimbo is as straight up wrong as she is, she's convincing people that no longer exists.

And that sort of subversion is shameful.

Anyway, rant over.

~Bang

I don't understand the obsession over Sarah Palin. She's smart in that she knows what can make her the most money. There's no way in hell she is going to run for President. In fact, were she to run for President I have no doubt it would only be so that she can lose and write a book about it and sell it to her fans, thus making more $$$ for herself. She has to be smart enough to realize she'd never win...

I don't understand the obsession over Sarah Palin. She's smart in that she knows what can make her the most money. There's no way in hell she is going to run for President. In fact, were she to run for President I have no doubt it would only be so that she can lose and write a book about it and sell it to her fans, thus making more $$$ for herself. She has to be smart enough to realize she'd never win...

Even IF she is smart enough to know she'd never win, she can't tell that to her throng of faithful supporters as long as they THINK she's gonna run then they'll fawn over her, once she's out she's just another shrill voice.

Although some conservatives would have you believe that Sarah Palin is not a serious political figure and they like her simply because she annoys liberals, I simply do not think that is a very credible argument. Let’s review the facts:

• Sarah Palin was close to becoming the Vice President of the United States.

• Sarah Palin is a leading figure within the Tea Party movement.

• Some conservatives want Sarah Palin to run for President of the United States.

• Roughly two-thirds of conservative Americans view Sarah Palin favorably.

• Conservative media outlets give Sarah Palin access to millions of Americans.

So, Sarah Palin is not in the news because the right loves to trot her out to annoy liberals; she is in the news because millions of conservatives apparently think she is fit for higher office, they tried to make her the Vice President of the U.S., and they want her to become the next President of the United States (i.e., the person who, among other things, controls our nation’s nuclear weapons arsenal).

In light of her questionable intelligence, propensity to make enormously stupid statements, unstatesmanlike demeanor, and her incredibly immature and simplistic world view, I think Sarah Palin represents a serious problem. So, although she does not deserve to be taken seriously, many conservatives who back her and want to launch this dingbat into higher office have forced my hand.

But apparently covered more by LEFT WING Hate Cable

But only when she does something monumentally stupid.

It's not the evil "LEFT WING Hate Cable's" fault that she does that on at least a monthly basis.

Remember the sequence of events, here:

Fox News has her on. (Because right wingers worship her.)

Sarah says something monumentally stupid.

News stations cover the fact that she said something stupid.

Fox says that the rest of the world is evil, because they're picking on her.

After about a month, people stop covering her.

Fox News has her on. (Because right wingers worship her.)

. . .

"LEFT WING Hate Cable" covers her after she does something monumentally stupid.

Fox News puts her on because "well, everybody forgot her last brain fart, time to start building her up again".

I like being called a liar...even if indirectly.

Newsflash: some of us paid attention in school, oh and we can find all 50 states on a map too.

Indirectly is not the proper word to use in this case. You should have paid attention in that part of school also. What happened was you were in a group that I said included some "liars". What you should be upset about is that you have been accused of associating with internet liars....not that you were called one indirectly. Oh, you SHOULD be able to find all the states on the map...they are there right in front of you. I would also bet that everyone that claimed to know what a Sputnik moment was would not be able to correctly label all 50. But don't get your panties in a wad, I am not indirectly calling you stupid.

So, anyway, what's a spudnut?

Is it a shop? A chain of shops? A type of donut?

She said the word several times. What the hell was she talking about?

According to her, it's a bakery in some city,, forgot which one she said. Portland?

Anyway, she talks about it being the building blocks of America because it's a mom-n-pop shop that's been operating since the 50s.

It's nice, and it would be nice if that sort of thing were happening around the country.

But it's practically impossible for the little guy to compete anymore. Not only that, but has anyone priced out retail space recently? Ridiculously expensive.

I swear, whenever I see a new shopping center go up, I watch who fills in the stores.. and unless it's a chain with a corp behind it. They come and go so fast it'll spin your head. Very very very few retail stores that start up without major backing manage to stay open for long. Overhead is just too expensive.

I don't know about where you guys live, but around here we've got a bunch of new shopping centers, and a bunch not so new. And at least half of the storefronts are empty.

~Bang

But as Palin noted, the owners of that bakery are patriotic Americans, from the Heartland.

blazing-saddle-wilder-and-little.jpg

"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons. "

---------- Post added January-28th-2011 at 10:55 AM ----------

If anyone scrolls down to "similar threads" on the bottom of this page, look at the political persuassion of who is starting discussions about this woman.

And look at the political persuasion of the people who, every time, try to change the subject away from the person who did something monumentally stupid on national TV, and focus on attacking people who dare to notice it.

Yep. The news here isn't what Sarah did. It's how evil people aren't ignoring it, again.

Why does Fox keep putting her on?

To drive the left "bonkers"?

They're bonkers with laughter. I doubt very seriously that is what they're trying to convey.

Unless I'm mistaking that. Fox treats her like she should be relevant.. just to dig at the left?

~Bang

Yep, because they know the Left is obsessed with her, whether they admit it or not. Personally I don't like her as a politician. But it is funny, I read on another forum somebody put it this way:

ABC- "Sara Palin is responsible for the Tuscon shooting."

Sara Palin- "No, I'm not!"

ABC- "Why does it always have to be about you?"

:ols:

A spudnut is what some Tea Partiers bust when Sarah Palin speaks.

Is it just a pleasurable as the Tingle liberals have down their leg and other places, when they think about, see or hear Barrack Hussein Obama, mmm mmm mmm????

---------- Post added January-28th-2011 at 11:58 AM ----------

I Can't Comprehend why the FDA is not fast tracking medication for SPDS (Sarah Palin Derangement Syndrome). WTF lol

Yep, because they know the Left is obsessed with her, whether they admit it or not. Personally I don't like her as a politician. But it is funny, I read on another forum somebody put it this way:

ABC- "Sara Palin is responsible for the Tuscon shooting."

Sara Palin- "No, I'm not!"

ABC- "Why does it always have to be about you?"

:ols:

So did McCain choose her because the left is obsessed with her? Does the tea party invite her to every rally because the left is obsessed with her? Will she be a major player in the presidential bid because the left is obsessed with her?

come on now...

Is it just a pleasurable as the Tingle liberals have down their leg and other places, when they think about, see or hear Barrack Hussein Obama, mmm mmm mmm????

Probably not since they began realizing that he is actually a lot like his predecessor.

Probably not since they began realizing that he is actually a lot like his predecessor.

Is this one of those "he's a muslim and look at his radical christian church" things? He can't be a lot like his predecessor AND be the most liberal President ever.

Clinton? Naw Obama sucks at triangulating or even faking moving to the right. Only 5 watt light bulbs on the left actually believe he is no longer liberal.

Borrowing phrases from Reagan Clinton on Dubba Ya SOTUs didn't hide the far left agenda he still embraces which is why he is seen as untrustworthy in some circles.

ACTION will always speak louder than Words and Obama's words ring hollow.

---------- Post added January-28th-2011 at 12:11 PM ----------

Beavis and Butthead, Cheech and Chong, Homer Simpson, Peter Griffin...Americans loves dumbasses.

Yeah the leftwing demographic sadly does.

Archived