Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sarah Palin Can't Comprehend the "Sputnik Moment"

Boss_Hogg

I really don't care much for the woman for many many reasons and share much of the sentiment in this thread about Ms. Palin

But this thread really reminds me of the two minutes of hate from Orwell's 1984

I am not sure if I agree with the comparison. The "two minutes of hate" was an INGSOC enforced period of hate against an enemy or foe of the state, usually based on no reason other than politics or warfare. Contrary to that, people's anger, disgust, hatred, opposition -- whatever -- of Palin is a cause and effect relationship: She says outrageously stupid things and people react to it. Her statements are a calculation (though not always a good one -- "blood libel") to play to her base or to rouse an emotional response of one sort of another in her allies or opponents -- apparently she has succeeded in this endeavor, though the results aren't to her liking, I would suspect.

It isn't as if Palin lost the 2008 election and people are "hating her" for no reason: she has put herself into the public eye, using questionable language and often insulting, mocking, or sneering at her foes, i.e., "WTF" to describe the SOTUS. As a result, she frequently comes across as a self-centered drama queen and a "mean girl," which is not a very popular public image, and people are responding to this persona which she's created.

Her constant need for attention and victimization does not engender much pity, and most people just want her to go away.

If you want to see something more resembling an actual "two minutes of hate," watch Glenn Beck's show as he rants and raves about a 78-year old professor that wrote an article some forty years ago. That, my friend, is unreasonable hatred (since no one knows who Professor Piven was before Beck's attacks), whipped to fury by a demagogue. Beck has even printed his own INGSOC-like enemy's list so his audience can have an object of scorn for their daily vitriol.

---------- Post added January-28th-2011 at 06:30 AM ----------

Given your expert opinion on Morons....you might want to look at the word you used....... WAS

Denotes past tense....as in "GEE you guys are so TENSE about an ex-governor and NON-VP private citizen"

But I Betcha you can't :ols:

I am not sure if you realize it, but Palin may run in 2012. This is why some of us are horrified at the idea that she would be anywhere near the ability to launch military strikes or to use a nuclear weapon.

Let me ask you a honest question: do you actual, intelligently, truthfully, see any good reason to why Palin should be president?

---------- Post added January-28th-2011 at 06:37 AM ----------

What else does she provide that I could not find in a dozen other politicians?

I knew she would drive ya'll bonkers from the start,though the response was even better than I anticipated.

It's silly how that is the best defense that can be mustered is,"Palin drives you crazy!" That corresponds to the other Palin defenses -- either "You fear her!" or "You're jealous of her success!"

BTW, I see high school teens using these same sorts of slights in their emotional bickering: "You're just hatin' because ur jealous and fear me!" Good going, Friends of Palin -- you have reduced your intellectual discourse to those of adolescents.

Can you actually produce a defense to Palin's inability to understand the concept of "the Sputnik moment"? Do you understand it?

Wait....who's fooling who here?

I'll worry about Palin when she is on a ballot that I have to cast a vote on. I certainly don't think she is qualified to be President.

I would put money on the fact that more than one of the people who claimed they knew exactly what a "Sputnik moment" would have had no clue prior to State of the Union and/or with the help of Google.

Good going, Friends of Palin -- you have reduced your intellectual discourse to those of adolescents.

Can you actually produce a defense to Palin's inability to understand the concept of "the Sputnik moment"? Do you understand it?

:ols:...obviously not O wise one ...but I'm sure you will explain it to us challenged folk.:ols:

twa:

I've always enjoyed talking with you, honorary hog, predicto, burgold, larry, hubbs, asf, etc. We view the world differently, but maybe that's why it's good to talk with you guys. That said, I don't know why you've been acting unusually troll-like, almost landryslegendesque, in this thread. Seriously captain, what's up?

Oh trust me, I'm having a ball, because every time she speaks the Right is busy lapping it up or trying to figure out some way to ignore the dark shadow she's casting over them. The rest of us just get to sit back and laugh and be thankful that she's in the other party. :ols:

I disagree with you quite a bit. But not on this. Someone on the right should show some balls and kick her to the curb. That would garner the respect of quite a few people. But no, those with the power ignore her. Which is actually a method of enabling her.

I used to think she was harmless. It's quite apparent she's woefully ignorant. And the worst part is, she doesn't care. The tea party doesn't care (or is too ignorant themselves to notice).

She feeds off of hatred like a vampire feeds on blood.

She is about the worst thing for the country at this point. She brings nothing to the table but hatred and division.

I do wish the left would just ignore everything she says from here on out. If the left did that, than a portion of Fox's audience disappears. They'd stop giving her so much freaking air time. I liken it to a baby who learns a bad behavior. The more you focus on it, they more the baby does it. Once you begin to ignore it, the baby gets bored and moves on.

I do wish the left would just ignore everything she says from here on out. If the left did that, than a portion of Fox's audience disappears. They'd stop giving her so much freaking air time. I liken it to a baby who learns a bad behavior. The more you focus on it, they more the baby does it. Once you begin to ignore it, the baby gets bored and moves on.

But is it possible for them to do so?

Jed Lewison / Daily Kos:

Palin completely misunderstands what “Sputnik Moment” means — So Sarah Palin went on Greta Van Susteren's show last night and one of the “questions” was about what she thought of President Obama's reference to America's “Sputnik moment” during his State of the Union address.

+

Discussion: Hullabaloo and Pharyngula

Discussion:

PZ Myers / Pharyngula: Speaking of “WTF” moments, heeeeeere's Sarah!

Ryan J. Reilly / TPMDC:

‘WTF?’ Sarah Palin Thinks The USSR Won The Space Race? (VIDEO)

+

Discussion: Guardian and The Reaction

Welcome to the crowd

I'll worry about Palin when she is on a ballot that I have to cast a vote on. I certainly don't think she is qualified to be President.

:ols: See, I see it as more important to oppose her BEFORE she gets in a position to do harm.

I would put money on the fact that more than one of the people who claimed they knew exactly what a "Sputnik moment" would have had no clue prior to State of the Union and/or with the help of Google.

:ols: So what you're saying is that you'll put money on the fact that Sarah Palin isn't as smart as the average internet hack? I mean, we aren't a politicians in the national spotlight, we don't have a staff of people to do research for us, we don't have people who help us prep for interviews, we aren't paid by the highest rated cable news network for our political opinions, and we weren't Vice Presidential candidates....all of this and Sarah Palin can't figure out how to use Google.

:ols: And people think she should be President. :ols:

That seem rational to you? To me that seems kind of ridiculous. She already was on the ballot and she was incredibly influential in the last election. There are many people that are influential in politics that aren't elected or immediately seeking election. I think you know that.

Just an FYI

If anyone scrolls down to "similar threads" on the bottom of this page, look at the political persuassion of who is starting discussions about this woman.

:)

I will only speak for myself, I have no desire for her to continue to be a public figure at all, thusly I ignore her and change the channel when she is on.

I would think in this new era of "civility" more would try and do the same

If you are Republican wanting to run for president in 2012 you have to be wishing Palin and Bachmann would just shut up.

I can at least see an alternate theory, here.

IMO, the pattern we're seeing, here is:

Palin goes on Fox news, says something monumentally stupid.

Everybody else laughs at the stupid woman.

Fox news announces "Look, the left-wing world (the entire world except for Fox is left-wing) is making fun of her stupidity"

Right-wing ignorant base sits back and feels persecuted because the world is picking on them. And becomes even more fanatically right-wing.

In short, the result of the "Palin moment" is that the right wing loony base believes even more strongly that the entire world is out the get them.

Is "Palin does her monthly stupidity demonstration" really hurting the Republican Party?

Don't put that money on me.

I'm not the smartest guy in the room, and I knew exactly what "sputnik moment" meant. I didn't watch the address, and I still know what it is. In fact, if anyone used that term in any capacity, I'd know what they were trying to convey.

In the history I was taught, and the history I have learned on my own, the announcement that sputnik was up was a shock, and it immediately set in motion our own scientists and innovators to win the space race. (Even if the Soviets technicaly "won" with the first orbiting object, and first orbiting person.)

And we did.

even though nowadays people like to scoff at the moon project, back then it was BIG BIG BIG. And even though I was only 6 when we went the first time, we all felt it. I remember sitting up with my parents and knowing how special it was simply by the fact that all the other people in the room were glued to it. (My folks had a moon party). It was impossible to ignore the gravity of the event.. even at 6 years old. It lasted for days.. all anyone talked about during it's flight was whether they would make it,, and then they did, and everyone was awestruck,, and then a few more days of tension while we waited to see if they came home.

The space program remained a symbol of national pride and American exceptionalism well beyond that, and on into my adult life. THe "sputnik moment" and it's glorious aftermath for the US was something ingrained in me throughout my childhood and into my adult life. In my early 20s it started to fade a bit, but then when Challenger exploded it made us all realize all over again how miraculous it was that we did iit in the first place.

Anyway, most of us who paid attention in school knows what the Sputnik moment is, even if they never heard that specific term before. Even without learning it there, televised history programs and movies have repeated it over and over.

It was definitely a "get off your ass or be left behind" moment.

What she said was straight up wrong. It ignores history, and shows that she really hasn't got the slightest grasp of what she's talking about when she criticizes the term used.

And her counter assertion that we'd be much better off encouraging mom and pop bakeries rather than technological advancement is absolutely absurd.

For anyone with a half a brain in their heads, it's pretty obvious.

~Bang

I can at least see an alternate theory, here.

IMO, the pattern we're seeing, here is:

Palin goes on Fox news, says something monumentally stupid.

Everybody else laughs at the stupid woman.

Fox news announces "Look, the left-wing world (the entire world except for Fox is left-wing) is making fun of her stupidity"

Right-wing ignorant base sits back and feels persecuted because the world is picking on them. And becomes even more fanatically right-wing.

In short, the result of the "Palin moment" is that the right wing loony base believes even more strongly that the entire world is out the get them.

Is "Palin does her monthly stupidity demonstration" really hurting the Republican Party?

The right through blogs and talk radio attacks the moderates and weakens the base's support and any Republican that says anything bad about these women get attacked by their cult followers.

At some point in time if the Republican party wants to get back to being respectable the real leaders will have to stand up and take the heat from doing so it may cost them in a couple of elections but once people realize that niether of these women or people like them will get any where in the real world their maybe some real solutions.

This is an article in Politico on you can not crticise these women for fear of back lash

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0111/48329.html

Would you like me to instead focus on the fact that she's CURRENTLY a regular on right wing news programs and tea party events?
But apparently covered more by LEFT WING Hate Cable
Perhaps I should focus on her FUTURE presidential bid in which she is not doubt to be amongst the favorites.
Perhaps you might focus on the CURRENT heart beat away Gaff Machine whose uncontrolled temper we seen during the Thomas Hearings....maybe we should analyze HIS issues with the NUC FOOTBALL?

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=3627355n

"I havn't lost my temper in a long while"...isn't THAT a relief for someone One Heart Beat Away NOW ?

When the left attacks Palin.....there is less time to Analyze the Great Failure that is the Obama Administration

What she said was straight up wrong. It ignores history, and shows that she really hasn't got the slightest grasp of what she's talking about when she criticizes the term used.

And her counter assertion that we'd be much better off encouraging mom and pop bakeries rather than technological advancement is absolutely absurd.

~Bang

But as Palin noted, the owners of that bakery are patriotic Americans, from the Heartland.

But as Palin noted, the owners of that bakery are patriotic Americans, from the Heartland.

Nary a french or italian bread recipe to be found, by God. Definitely no Jewish Rye. Wonder White Bread only out of this bakery! If you don't like it, **** off commy.

Just an FYI

If anyone scrolls down to "similar threads" on the bottom of this page, look at the political persuassion of who is starting discussions about this woman.

:)

I will only speak for myself, I have no desire for her to continue to be a public figure at all, thusly I ignore her and change the channel when she is on.

I would think in this new era of "civility" more would try and do the same

Do you seriously think that if we don't start a thread on here then people will stop listening to this woman? Funny, I haven't seen much on here lately about Rush Limbaugh...did he go away? Nope, he's safe though because at least he knows enough to not seek elected office. Sarah Palin and her brand of arrogant ignorance is like gingivitis it will not go away if you ignore it.

But apparently covered more by LEFT WING Hate Cable

Honestly,, how can you say this with a straight face?

The left media laughs at her, and Fox has her on regularly as an expert commentator.

But it's the left who's obsessed.

The attempt to constantly minimize her after she opens up her yap and shows how dumb she is again and again is a joke. It's indicative of the general strategy that she employs, which is to be completely ignorant of what is actually happening so she can focus on her moronic fantasy.

Somehow you guys know she's stupid, but she's only being made relevant by the left's focusing on her..

after she was on Fox news again spouting off like the village idiot.

So, laugh away at the left,, call them obsessed or whatever. It's not their side that is championing this ditz.

~Bang

Don't put that money on me.

I'm not the smartest guy in the room, and I knew exactly what "sputnik moment" meant. I didn't watch the address, and I still know what it is. In fact, if anyone used that term in any capacity, I'd know what they were trying to convey.

In the history I was taught, and the history I have learned on my own, the announcement that sputnik was up was a shock, and it immediately set in motion our own scientists and innovators to win the space race. (Even if the Soviets technicaly "won" with the first orbiting object, and first orbiting person.)

And we did.

even though nowadays people like to scoff at the moon project, back then it was BIG BIG BIG. And even though I was only 6 when we went the first time, we all felt it. I remember sitting up with my parents and knowing how special it was simply by the fact that all the other people in the room were glued to it. (My folks had a moon party). It was impossible to ignore the gravity of the event.. even at 6 years old. It lasted for days.. all anyone talked about during it's flight was whether they would make it,, and then they did, and everyone was awestruck,, and then a few more days of tension while we waited to see if they came home.

The space program remained a symbol of national pride and American exceptionalism well beyond that, and on into my adult life. THe "sputnik moment" and it's glorious aftermath for the US was something ingrained in me throughout my childhood and into my adult life. In my early 20s it started to fade a bit, but then when Challenger exploded it made us all realize all over again how miraculous it was that we did iit in the first place.

Anyway, most of us who paid attention in school knows what the Sputnik moment is, even if they never heard that specific term before. Even without learning it there, televised history programs and movies have repeated it over and over.

It was definitely a "get off your ass or be left behind" moment.

~Bang

Well you are in the over 40 crowd which grew up with it. So I would have left you out for that reason alone.

What kind of analogy did Henry say it was? Weak?? But yet we have everyone that hates Palin jump in with a "I'm just a kid and EVEN I know what it was". So we have a group of people that came of age post cold war for the most part that "got" the weak analogy as if it were clear as day. Not buying it.

You'll note that I didn't say she was right. I think she is pretty "dumb" relative to other people of her "stature" or influence or whatever you want to call it. What 'm saying is that not everyone that is claiming they knew what it was did. Just an opinion...just like yours that anyone with half a brain automatically knows.

Archived