Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sarah Palin Can't Comprehend the "Sputnik Moment"

Boss_Hogg

Is it just a pleasurable as the Tingle liberals have down their leg and other places, when they think about, see or hear Barrack Hussein Obama, mmm mmm mmm????

Why is it that so many on the far right like to place an emphasize on Obama's middle name? It's almost like they desperately trying to give the impression that he's a terrorist or Muslim extremist.

I'm going to say it (and I'm not a fan of Palin at all)...there is no way that everyone who has posted in this thread knew the Sputnik Moment reference that Obama was making. No way at all. I'm not calling any specific person out, but if every single one of us truly knew the history behind his comments and how it related to his point, then we have the more educated message board in the history of the Internet and should enter some sort of "It's Academic" contest.

Granted, someone in her position should know what the Hell she's talking about...but all the holier than thou talk in here is getting a little sickening.

All of this Palin is Dumb posts yet the same people will completely ignore the destructive, foolish moves Obama has done to the country.

What supersmart moves has he and the previous liberal Congressional House done that you can proudly crow about?

Exactly what reputation did the US have around the world with him in office? Besides the being led by the weak?

I'm going to say it (and I'm not a fan of Palin at all)...there is no way that everyone who has posted in this thread knew the Sputnik Moment reference that Obama was making. No way at all. I'm not calling any specific person out, but if every single one of us truly knew the history behind his comments and how it related to his point, then we have the more educated message board in the history of the Internet and should enter some sort of "It's Academic" contest.

Granted, someone in her position should know what the Hell she's talking about...but all the holier than thou talk in here is getting a little sickening.

As Henry pointed out, Obama said exactly what he meant right there in his speech.

I knew about Sputnik's impact before, but I sure as hell would have understood it when it was flat out explained to me, or I would have looked it up. I sure as hell would not have started talking about Spudnuts bakery like it has any relevance to the discussion.

(Of course, I actually was on "It's Academic" back in the day (curse you St. Anselm's, curse you forever :mad: )

---------- Post added January-28th-2011 at 11:23 AM ----------

All of this Palin is Dumb posts yet the same people will completely ignore the destructive, foolish moves Obama has done to the country.

What supersmart moves has he and the previous liberal Congressional House done that you can proudly crow about?

Exactly what reputation did the US have around the world with him in office? Besides the being led by the weak?

I don't know Dave. Why don't you start a thread about that. God knows we have never had any threads discussing Obama.

As Henry pointed out, Obama said exactly what he meant right there in his speech.

I knew about Sputnik's impact before, but I sure as hell would have understood it when it was flat out explained to me, or I would have looked it up. I sure as hell would not have started talking about Spudnuts bakery like it has any relevance to the discussion.

(Of course, I actually was on "It's Academic" back in the day (curse you St. Anselm's, curse you forever :mad: )

Again, I'm not defending her one bit. It's just getting to be a lot sifting through everyone and their mom tell us how they knew the reference immediately. I understand that he explained it, but I'll bet you that some of the people on here claiming they got it hadn't even heard of Sputnik.

Not me, I understood what he meant.

Of course, I'm an aviation nerd.

Why is it that so many on the far right like to place an emphasize on Obama's middle name? It's almost like they desperately trying to give the impression that he's a terrorist or Muslim extremist.

Far right? Kids here in local public schools still have the video of other non far right kids singing the Barrack Hussein Obama mmm mm mmm song.

I don't give impressions. I come out and say he has used a destructive agenda to screw up the country. And its not like I do not point out other liberals/ progressives with power in both parties that share his vision.

TD_washtingtonredskins, Sputnik, its background during the Cold War, and it's importance to the U.S. is not an obscure part of U.S. history. it really isn't.

I'm aware of that. Are you saying that you believe everyone is being upfront about their knowledge of it prior to this opportunity to jump all over someone from another political party?

I know that we hardly talked about it in high school.

Again, I'm not defending her one bit. It's just getting to be a lot sifting through everyone and their mom tell us how they knew the reference immediately. I understand that he explained it, but I'll bet you that some of the people on here claiming they got it hadn't even heard of Sputnik.

Wow, I hope that's not true. Even leaving out this whole "Sputnik Moment" thing it was the first sat ever launched by anyone. You think that would at least make all the history texts. To have never heard of Sputnik would really bring home how bad our schools are doing.

Well, then I hope none of them are ever placed in a poisition where they would be a heartbeat away from the Presidency.

And I hope that if they decide to go on a national television show SOLELY so they can give their opinion on a recent Presidential Speech, they make a little tiny effort to understand what the speech was about first.

Not me, I understood what he meant.

Of course, I'm an aviation nerd.

Look, maybe I should have stayed out of here...I'm not looking for everyone who has commented to reaffirm that they understood. If you got it, you got it. That's great. I think I just hate politics. It seems like people wait around for someone in the opposite party to trip over their words, say something stupid, etc. and then they pounce. They might have to look at wikipedia so that they can sound educated when they pounce, but they pounce.

---------- Post added January-28th-2011 at 12:30 PM ----------

Wow, I hope that's not true. Even leaving out this whole "Sputnik Moment" thing it was the first sat ever launched by anyone. You think that would at least make all the history texts. To have never heard of Sputnik would really bring home how bad our schools are doing.

I could be wrong. I hope I am too...but the holier than thou in here was a lot.

Well, then I hope none of them are ever placed in a poisition where they would be a heartbeat away from the Presidency.

And I hope that if they decide to go on a national television show SOLELY so they can give their opinion on a recent Presidential Speech, they make a little tiny effort to understand what the speech was about first.

Agreed.

Is this one of those "he's a muslim and look at his radical christian church" things? He can't be a lot like his predecessor AND be the most liberal President ever.
I don't view political leanings on a linear scale. Liberal and Conservative can apply to many things e.g economic, social etc. Many "conservatives" like George Bush are economic liberals in many ways.

So, if I'm reading correctly, your are asserting that somewhere in this thread, there is a person who didn't catch Obama's reference when he made it. (This despite the fact that it's been pointed out, that Obama himself explained the reference, when he made it.)

And to then combine your assertion with the fact that Palin still didn't know what he was talking about, the next day. (But she knew a couple of pieces of fictional Republican myths that she incorrectly thought might be kind of close to the subject.)

(From this, I'll point out, you are alleging that the dumbest person in this thread is still brighter than Sarah Palin.)

Thus allowing you to announce how "all the holier than thou talk in here is getting a little sickening."

Have I got this linkage down correctly?

Why so defensive of his name? If he was a muslim extremist, it would be ironic that a rabid supporter of his goes by Hog.

The previous president was refered to alot by his middle name (Initial actually) respectfully and derisively. Dubba Ya (W)

So, if I'm reading correctly, your are asserting that somewhere in this thread, there is a person who didn't catch Obama's reference when he made it. (This despite the fact that it's been pointed out, that Obama himself explained the reference, when he made it.)

And to then combine your assertion with the fact that Palin still didn't know what he was talking about, the next day. (But she knew a couple of pieces of fictional Republican myths that she incorrectly thought might be kind of close to the subject.)

(From this, I'll point out, you are alleging that the dumbest person in this thread is still brighter than Sarah Palin.)

Thus allowing you to announce how "all the holier than thou talk in here is getting a little sickening."

Have I got this linkage down correctly?

I'm asserting that the divisive nature of our two-party political system gets tiring to me. I'm asserting that, upon reading about the ignorant comments Sarah Palin made re: Obama's speech, a bunch of people are jumping on the bandwagon (some who probably also had little understanding or comprehension of what Obama was talking about).

As I mentioned in my posts, I'm not defending Palin. What she said, given who she is, is ridiculous. I don't like her much anyway. I just get so tired of how this process works...I get sick of conservatives just bashing away at liberals and liberals just bashing away at conservatives. Our political system is broken.

Well since the Tea Party bashing has started I might as well add fuel to the fire: Anyone seen this article on NY's Nassau County and how the Te Party Repub. promised to repeal a home energy tax that got him elected, but now he cannot balance his budget since he did nothing to replace the lost revenue from th home energy tax, and now teh county is being run by a state appointed financial overseer.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Features/2011/01/27/17054871.html

Goes to prove my point of how bad American politics are, here you have a man who is elected solely because he promised to cut taxes that his opponent enacted. Now it was no secret in Nassau County that the County was in financial trouble before the election, hence the requirement for the home energy tax (BTW less than $8/month or less than $100/year for one of the richest County's in America), and yet all these supposedly well educated Americans voted for a guy who was going to lower their taxes.

I am shocked at the lack of common sense, if your county, state and country are in financial difficulty, cutting services and firing employee's, then how the hell do you expect to get out of that hole by paying less tax? Now a $100/year tax increase in some areas of the country would be devastating right now, but in a county that has an average income twice that of the average American, I don't think $100/year is too much to ask. But instead of paying, just do what has always been done and vote for the guy who will lower taxes, and if baffles me as to why supposedly smart Americans can't figure out if you keep voting in someone who does not raise taxes while expenditures continue to rise, that eventually all of this spending on borrowed money will catch up to you. I guess some people need to learn things the hard way, and a finacial slap in the face like this hopefully is that hard lesson.

Well since the Tea Party bashing has started I might as well add fuel to the fire: Anyone seen this article on NY's Nassau County and how the Te Party Repub. promised to repeal a home energy tax that got him elected, but now he cannot balance his budget since he did nothing to replace the lost revenue from th home energy tax, and now teh county is being run by a state appointed financial overseer.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Features/2011/01/27/17054871.html

Goes to prove my point of how bad American politics are, here you have a man who is elected solely because he promised to cut taxes that his opponent enacted. Now it was no secret in Nassau County that the County was in financial trouble before the election, hence the requirement for the home energy tax (BTW less than $8/month or less than $100/year for one of the richest County's in America), and yet all these supposedly well educated Americans voted for a guy who was going to lower their taxes.

I am shocked at the lack of common sense, if your county, state and country are in financial difficulty, cutting services and firing employee's, then how the hell do you expect to get out of that hole by paying less tax? Now a $100/year tax increase in some areas of the country would be devastating right now, but in a county that has an average income twice that of the average American, I don't think $100/year is too much to ask. But instead of paying, just do what has always been done and vote for the guy who will lower taxes, and if baffles me as to why supposedly smart Americans can't figure out if you keep voting in someone who does not raise taxes while expenditures continue to rise, that eventually all of this spending on borrowed money will catch up to you. I guess some people need to learn things the hard way, and a finacial slap in the face like this hopefully is that hard lesson.

Few in the Tea Party are proving to be either intelligent or consistent so far: http://www.wvrecord.com/arguments/232923-their-view-tea-party-conversatives-should-oppose-medmal-limits

I'm asserting that the divisive nature of our two-party political system gets tiring to me. I'm asserting that, upon reading about the ignorant comments Sarah Palin made re: Obama's speech, a bunch of people are jumping on the bandwagon (some who probably also had little understanding or comprehension of what Obama was talking about).

As I mentioned in my posts, I'm not defending Palin. What she said, given who she is, is ridiculous. I don't like her much anyway. I just get so tired of how this process works...I get sick of conservatives just bashing away at liberals and liberals just bashing away at conservatives. Our political system is broken.

I agree with much of this sentiment. But here's why conservatives should shun Palin. She totally botched the message she was trying to get across. If you wade through all the "you betchas" lamestream media references, and partisan flag waving, her point was the conservative position that now is not the time for massive government spending. But her response was so ham-handed that she failed miserably at getting that point across.

I agree with much of this sentiment. But here's why conservatives should shun Palin. She totally botched the message she was trying to get across. If you wade through all the "you betchas" lamestream media references, and partisan flag waving, her point was the conservative position that now is not the time for massive government spending. But her response was so ham-handed that she failed miserably at getting that point across.

Oh, I agree that she should be shunned by conservatives. I hope my other opinions didn't overshadow that point!

Good post.

Why so defensive of his name? If he was a muslim extremist, it would be ironic that a rabid supporter of his goes by Hog.

The previous president was refered to alot by his middle name (Initial actually) respectfully and derisively. Dubba Ya (W)

The 43rd President was referred by his middle name/initial because the 41st President shares the same name.

Hog? I chose my handle to honor Joe Bugel and the Hazzard county proprietor from the Dukes of Hazzard.

Please don't feed the Dave.

Sputnik.. I know all about it, but I don't remember much of it being taught to me in school. Then again, I don't recall much 20th century history taught in school outside of Civics or government classes, and they rarely touched on anything current at all... I don't even remember being taught World War 2 in school. Lots of revolution and Civil war era stuff, but that's about it as far as American history went. Learned a lot more World history.

But we knew, and it's probably like what Redskins Diehard pointed out, we were alive while the space race was going on.. even though Sputnik launched before I was born. I grew up with Astronauts being celebrity heroes, and Tang and exciting rocket launches, Moon missions, the first space station.. Apollo-Soyuz link up,, hell, if you didn't know what Sputnik was before that you sure found out during Apollo-Soyuz., it was on the news every night. all of that stuff. and it was always BIG news all the way up to the shuttle, and after that became routine it sort of faded from public interest. (until Challenger, of course.)

When I was a kid we knew the Apollo astronauts, we knew the Gemini astronauts. knew them like my kid now can recite Super Bowl MVPs. They were BIG heroes... ticker tape parades and the like. Neil Armstrong will always be ten feet tall to me. He was and is one of my greatest heroes. We looked up to them, almost universally.

And like how people in their twenties now will know more about the middle east like we knew about the Soviets then.. it's in the public eye their whole lives. And in 40 or so years some politician will say "a line in the sand" or "shock and awe" and invariably those folks will remember the Gulf wars and understand his point.

but for those of us who grew up in the Cold War era, we know what sputnik was.

~Bang

Archived