Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What position on offense is most in need of an upgrade this offseason?

darrelgreenie

Tackle. We need two...

Re-sign Brown to start at RT & make him the back-up LT. Heyer can't fill that role.

With Brown becoming the back-up LT, pick up a second tier FA to become the back-up RT. Or draft one if we somehow aquire a draft pick in the 3rd or 4th round....

Hopefully Capers shows progression in 2011 as well..

If Brown is looking for LT money, then I'm not sure we resign him. It might be worth it just to have a good RT (and a solid option for backup LT). If we can't resign Brown then RT is our biggest concern - Capers is an option, but I have trouble putting a ton of faith in the guy until he warrants it

I wouldn't really want them to draft a RT at 10, but neither would I want them to go G or C at 10. Still, if Brown is resigned I'd say interior line is our weakest spot on offense.

If the question were "What position on offense would you draft at #10?" then I'd say WR, QB, or RB with WR probably having the biggest affect, at least in the short term. Long term I'd go T or trade back for a G/C.

As a side note, I'm not a Rabach fan, but how might he perform w/ solid Guards next to him?

---------- Post added January-30th-2011 at 08:22 AM ----------

I have trouble believing they'll pay Brown a bunch of money (which he is pretty much in a position to demand) to play a backup role. If, by some chance, he does resign at a reasonable price then I agree w/ you.

If Brown and another FA OL (lets say Ryan Harris) are available for the same price would you want Brown?

I'd say yes, I think Brown is a proven option for us at OT for the medium term. I think we should be utilising Brown for back-up depth at LT, which I think holds considerable value as Trent finds his way. Without depth at LT, if Trent goes down it won't matter who is out there at RT as it stands at present.

Someone like Harris has the 'age advantage', but I'm not convinced of his overall caliber or potential. Is being 4 years younger a key factor in making him your choice, if you believe the guy you have in Brown can serve at RT for 3-4 years anyway?

Sure, it is difficult to judge from the outside how fit Brown really is. If the health issues from 2 seasons ago are clear, its a no brainer in my view to get him back.

If Brown and another FA OL (lets say Ryan Harris) are available for the same price would you want Brown?

I think I'd take Harris. I'd feel like a moron for wasting a pick on Brown, but Harris is younger and a proven commodity in the scheme. Brown is still an unknown because of his injury.

As a side note, I'm not a Rabach fan, but how might he perform w/ solid Guards next to him?

He still gets manhandled right up the middle either way. He is washed the hell up, man. Rabach provides no inside push on running plays and has been a liability in pass protection for the past two years. Last year with Jason, then this year with McNabb, and then Grossman, the QB would simply drop back and have a guy right in his face, with no room to step up.

Time for a change.

For the long term, my vote is Quarterback. We need a guy who can start each game and is the unquestioned leader of our team.

Ideally, we'd trade McNabb and draft Blaine Gabbert.

If you don't say QB, I think the next most important position to upgrade is RT. Hopefully Jammal Brown can turn it around next year. If not, we need to look to the draft for solutions.

Following RT, I would agree that it is center. Following that, I'd say both guard positions need improvement.

• 10 months later...

I would Put CB above TE and I think we get 2 out of 3 when it comes to LG, RG, C. We also need a young ILB. However if Fletch comes back I wouldnt be opposed to drafting a 1st rd LB in the 2013 (with a later rd 1 pick hopefully) draft to learn for one year from Fletch and then become a stud cuz a game changer/manager for ILB is pretty big

Center.

Step 1: Cut Rabach

Step 2: Sign FA Ryan Kalil

You dont like Lichtensteiger :)

OLB

Sign LaMarr Woodley. One Man Gang becomes depth and ST awesomeness.

I like both those scenario's. i guess ill be the one who says RG3, :wavetowel :ols:

No, but I do like the idea of Woodley, and we Definitely need some upgrades at OL !!!

qb, qb, qb, qb, qb, and qb :ols:

seriously though we really need a qb. after that i would say a solid right tackle and a left guard. then we can move on to the sexy wr picks in round 4 and later. we really need to shore up our oline and get a franchise qb in this next draft.

I can't believe this is a serious question.

I agree, the question should have been, what position, other than the most obvious, QB, do the skins need to upgrade?

A franchise QB, as has been discussed in many other threads, instantly makes the Oline and receivers better.

I will add that I am not saying we don't need upgrades, but QB is cleary number one.

Quarterback is above everything and that's obvious.

Aside from that, I truly do not understand some of the recent posters listing TE or C so high. It makes no sense. It's hard to argue that there were more than 5 TE's that outplayed Davis this year. I get the whole suspension having you worried thing, but the guy is healthy and will be here next year. Cooley is also likely to come back healthy. This is not a position you look to "upgrade." That would imply spending a relatively high draft pick or bringing in a FA at the position. Make zero sense.

Yes, our O-line needs upgraded. But Montgomery has played very well this year. Am I saying he's our guy for the future? No, but it's definitely not imperative that we bring someone in to play there next year.

Again, "upgrade," in my opinion, refers to spending a 1-4th round draft pick on a guy or paying money in FA. These are two positions that do not need that right now. Down the road - yes. It would be great to fix everything at once but these are areas that we get a passing grade at right now (if not, an A+ at TE next year if Davis continues to improve/doesn't smoke and Cooley is healthy).

Safety could potentially be a huge problem for us because Gomes is our surest bet there right now. Gomes is potentially a starter. Atogwe is a question mark, I have a hard time believe he's fallen off that much, it's just injuries. But is that going to continue to be a problem? And Landry - are we going to re-sign him? If he does have surgery and we do re-sign him, how soon can he play and at what level? Doughty is a great locker room and special teams guy but he's not someone you want in there on defense regularly.

1) QB

2) Potentially Safety

3) RT

Outside of the obvious which is the QB, a dominant interior lineman is needed. It could be a left guard or center. Chester/ Monthgomery/ & Kory(pre-injury) were solid, but this group needs one dominant member on the interior. Ideally it would be at guard which would allow Kory to come along slowly coming off his major injury and he can then back up both the guard or the center position. Grubbs from Baltimore would be my preference. I don't think they'll be able to franchise him considering Rice and Flacco are due big deals.

Most would say QB as the Skins first round pick and that makes sense. I just hope the QB that Shanahans/Allen really want is available when the Skins get to pick. If not -- then I hope they pick BPA at any of the following: OT, WR, ILB, SS -- but snag their BP 'high-potential' QB in the second-round (or low first round).

But the Skins cannot emerge from the first two rounds without a QB pick. It's definitely time to find a 'top-tier' QB to groom for the future. (However, after seeing what's happening to Bradford - I wouldn't play that QB until the Skins solidify that offensive line.

But it's obvious the Skins need a line that can support a running game and protect the QB -- and so some dramatic steps need to be taken. Since offensive tackles are the hardest players to trade for -- I would seriously consider using a high pick (first or second round) on an OT, because the odds seem much longer now that both Williams and Brown will be playing a full season in 2013. And if it seems like LIchensteiger can't make it back... then trade for or draft (in 3rd or 4th round) a Guard. (However, if Lichtensteiger looks like he can play, then the 3rd round looks like a good time to find the BPA at WR, ILB, NT or DB/SS.)

Considering all that has happened this seaon Free agents and trades are going to be important to the future success. While I'm not specualting who will be brought in-- we might see some surprises at who the Skins wind up moving out (up to and including people like Davis, Cooley, Landry, Armstrong, Torain, Brown, Beck,and maybe even Williams if he looks like he can't control his smoking habit.) Some of the 'move-outs' might be the result of 'sign and trade' deals -- some might be be outright releases.

The one thing I've noticed under Shanahan/Allen -- he doesn't like to let players rest on their old reputations. A player's past accomplishments isn't much insurance for keeping a future spot on the roster, especially if that player can't stay healthy, or free of NFL sanctions -- or simply is no longer performing as expected.

Archived