Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What position on offense is most in need of an upgrade this offseason?

darrelgreenie

To be honest, we need help at almost every position, so I wouldn't be so quick to jump the gun. This team has zero depth, across the board.

What a difference two years makes...

We were ravaged by injuries/suspensions and still made the playoffs. Anyways, at the moment, It's a tossup for me between FS and RT. I may lean towards RT as it's pretty clear from here on out that this will be more of an offensive team. You have a QB coming back from a serious injury, so it would be imperative to give him the cleanest pocket possible.

Edit, I misread the question. RT would probably be without a doubt the biggest need.

This will be popular .....

Centre or right guard.

Compton is by all accounts developing as some of us hoped. So God willing that should sort out the RT situation at least by the years end going forward. If not before. Hopefully one of last years two rooks makes the step up to start, or at the very least be quality depth on the interior. But we could, IMHO, do with an upgrade at both C and RG with top quality talent. Montgomery played real well last year, no question. But in many ways, like the line as a collective, he played above himself as momentum grew through that fantastic late season surge. But it's asking a lot for him to continue playing that standard. Same to a lesser extent with Chester who I still think was the weakest link in the front 5 last year.

I wouldn't prioritise the offense side of the ball at all in the top two or three picks. (Surprising drops not withstanding.).

But if we did, then it would be anywhere on the line from centre on out the right side to me. (Again, Compton's development not withstanding.).

Hail.

Uh, gee I don't know what your talking about, we have a playoff roster.

hahaha, found one of my posts from 2011, and it came true.

---------- Post added April-17th-2013 at 12:16 PM ----------

FS, FS and FS.

Not giving up 28 points a game helps our team overall more than adding a RT does. Especially when the level of upgrade over last year is a stark as it will be at FS

Since when does Free Safety play offense? hahhahaa, I know you didn't read the thread right.

FS, FS and FS.

Not giving up 28 points a game helps our team overall more than adding a RT does. Especially when the level of upgrade over last year is a stark as it will be at FS

Respectfully, I have to disagree. If our pass rush doesn't improve then upgrading our FS isn't going to mean much. Outside of the Ed Reeds and Eric Berrys of the league, FS will not make as much of an impact without help from others.

RT, however, is the biggest position that begs for a big upgrade. You can have a better defense all you want, but this team goes nowhere without RGIII. Nowhere. We had a good offense last year, but we masked weaknesses that will get exposed at some point in the near future, most notably, our lack of a drop back passing game. We cannot come back from multiple TD's down in short amounts of time or convert 3rd and long without a drop back passing game and it is kind of pathetic our right side of the O-line is not competent enough to provide that.

hahaha, found one of my posts from 2011, and it came true.

---------- Post added April-17th-2013 at 12:16 PM ----------

Since when does Free Safety play offense? hahhahaa, I know you didn't read the thread right.

:doh:

Yeah I guess that explains it when I asked myself why so many people were choosing offensive players instead of FS while reading this thread.

In that case, I would go with WR. I think another explosive, dynamic WR would really take this offense to the next level. When you can put somebody like Wheaton on the opposite side of the field as Garcon and have Davis, Morris and RG3 on the field with them it opens up so many possibilities. Moss/Morgan/Hank do not fit this role at all.

It also allows us to use a host of formations since that type of WR could line up in the backfield, slot, outside, go in motion etc and fits well with Kyle's imagination.

The only other option I woud pick on offense would be backup RB because if Helu doesn't come back(and it looks a lot better recently that he will) when would be in trouble of Morris went down.

---------- Post added April-17th-2013 at 01:22 PM ----------

Respectfully, I have to disagree. If our pass rush doesn't improve then upgrading our FS isn't going to mean much. Outside of the Ed Reeds and Eric Berrys of the league, FS will not make as much of an impact without help from others.

True but with Orakpo coming back I think our pass rush will be greatly improved. The most glaring flaw on the team altogether and one that doesn't have a solution either on the roster, as question marks/competition or coming back from injury though is FS.

Compton is by all accounts developing as some of us hoped. So God willing that should sort out the RT situation at least by the years end going forward. If not before.

This is an interesting view of the RT situation. However it does seems to jibe with what we saw last year.

l admit that I thought Compton was playing step for step with Polumbus during preseason, but when the season started the decisions at RT didn't reflect much faith in Compton.

Compton was inactive for most of the season and didn't start 1 game. Tyler Polumbus and Jordan Black who were/are both varrying levels of below average were ahead of him on the depth chart.

When Tyler was injured and Black was unavailable the team passed over Compton and turned to Maurice Hurt (OG) to play RT.

Hopefully one of last years two rooks makes the step up to start, or at the

very least be quality depth on the interior. But we could, IMHO, do with an

upgrade at both C and RG with top quality talent. Montgomery played real well

last year, no question. But in many ways, like the line as a collective, he

played above himself as momentum grew through that fantastic late season surge.

But it's asking a lot for him to continue playing that standard. Same to a

lesser extent with Chester who I still think was the weakest link in the front 5

last year.

Montgomery, Chester (who was much improved from last year) and Lichtensteiger all grade out according to PFF much better then Polumbus who grades out as one of the worst players at RT.

And there is considerable depth at C b/c Lichtensteiger, Chester, Gettis and LeRibeus can all play Center. There is depth at the OG with Maurice Hurt (who the staff trusts enough to play as swing OT) and LeRibeus took over for Lichtensteiger at the end of the Dallas game and most all of the Seahawks game and played well.

But we could, IMHO, do with an upgrade at both C and RG with top quality talent. Montgomery played real well last year, no question. But in many ways, like the line as a collective, he played above himself as momentum grew through that fantastic late season surge.

I agree with Chester playing better as the season went on, but Montgomery was good from start to finish. Back when we were 3-6, our best o-lineman were definitely Montgomery and Trent.

But it's asking a lot for him to continue playing that standard. Same to a lesser extent with Chester who I still think was the weakest link in the front 5 last year.

We've got some good young depth at Center and Guard. LeRibeus can play both spots. Lichtensteiger can play both spots. When Monty got hurt, Kory moved to Center and Maurice Hurt played at LG. Later on, LeRibeus took the backup guard job away from Hurt when Kory got injured.

We think LeRibeus has potential to be a very good interior lineman, let's wait and find out.

In that case, I would go with WR. I think another explosive, dynamic WR would really take this offense to the next level. When you can put somebody like Wheaton on the opposite side of the field as Garcon and have Davis, Morris and RG3 on the field with them it opens up so many possibilities. Moss/Morgan/Hank do not fit this role at all.

I'm curious what you feel that Wheaton could bring that Moss/Morgan/Hank don't?

Moss/Morgan/Hank were all productive and graded out well by PFF/Football Outsiders.

Football Outsiders actually rated our passing offense #6 in efficiency.

Compton? I'm having a really hard time seeing Compton overtake Polumbus and be THE answer at RT. Actions speak louder than words on Compton. He wasn't always active on game day. A guy who was sitting at home before we called and total scrub, Jordan Black, was ahead of him. He couldn't unseat Polumbus, who is an absolute liability in the drop back passing game. Finally, signings of two more potential scrubs in Trueblood & Pashos doesn't look good, either. I hope I'm proven wrong, but I doubt it.

I think the coaches just felt Compton wasn't ready, but love his athleticism and general skill set. I'm sure there's a reason they think he can be the guy at this point, as Hitman stated was the case when he spoke with Foerster. It's not necessarily a knock on a rookie when he doesn't play at all, especially a guy on an Oline that was efficient and pretty healthy the entire year. They may have chose Hurt over him for nothing more than familiarity, knowing he'll be more in sync with the other guys since he's been around longer. Also, it could've just been a numbers game in terms of the active roster, since Hurt can play tackle and guard whereas Compton can only play tackle. Maybe they figured they wanted Hurt to also be depth for any interior linemen who went down.

For all we know, Compton may have had a lot to learn that he only mastered right at the end of the season. No reason to throw him into the fire when you know a guy like Hurt will go out and at least keep one of the best offense's in the NFL going consistently. With Compton, they may have thought he could do better but still weren't 100% sure he'd have the perfect timing that goes into the ZBS with the other guys.

Either way, RT is one of the positions I'm super excited about watching develop this offseason. Should be a good competition going on there, especially between Compton and Polumbus.

For this year, probably RT, then 3rd down back.

The thing I would say though is that I think the FO is expecting Compton to develop by 2014, so they might view the answer to that problem as being on the roster. Even if it's not though, I think the best time to strike on RT would be the 3rd or 4th round, not the 2nd, based on the way the talent shakes out.

Of course, 3rd down back is even easier to get, with Mr. Halfback-Whisperer running the show. He'll probably draft a 3rd down back in the 5th, 6th, or 7th, and the guy will have 800 all purposes yards, about 400 of each, in addition to Morris racking up another 1300 or so, and RGIII being his awesome self. And if Helu is healthy then we're in pretty good shape.

On the whole, our offense is pretty well off for this year, the positions where we're deficient we may have the answer on the roster or we can address at a reasonable spot in the draft. The one thing will be if nobody steps up at RT, in which case we'll have to go after someone serious next year.

Moss/Morgan/Hank were all productive and graded out well by PFF/Football Outsiders.

I'll jump in here, you're discussing my guy (also Monk's guy, but I don't see him around). I don't think Wheaton adds a ton this year, but I think Wheaton would be a very good replacement for Moss beyond this year. He adds a lot to the offense in that regard, and if someone got injured, I think Wheaton could come in this year and play very well, which would be great, considering what happened once Garcon (and especially when Davis was out in addition) went down.

Also, while I'm optimistic about it, if Hank doesn't develop, adding another WR couldn't hurt, especially because Morgan might be bailing after this year too.

Compton? I'm having a really hard time seeing Compton overtake Polumbus and be THE answer at RT. Actions speak louder than words on Compton. He wasn't always active on game day. A guy who was sitting at home before we called and total scrub, Jordan Black, was ahead of him. He couldn't unseat Polumbus, who is an absolute liability in the drop back passing game. Finally, signings of two more potential scrubs in Trueblood & Pashos doesn't look good, either. I hope I'm proven wrong, but I doubt it.

Shanahan doesn't usually play late round rookoes off the bat. Running backs sure but all other positions not so much. Maybe they just thought he wasn't ready? And signing journeymen tackles says NOTHING about Comptons progression. Depth and bodies on the line that's all they are. Compton was a later round olineman they usually take time to develop. I for one think you are wrong and will be proven so sometime this year.

Shanahan doesn't usually play late round rookoes off the bat. Running backs sure but all other positions not so much. Maybe they just thought he wasn't ready? And signing journeymen tackles says NOTHING about Comptons progression. Depth and bodies on the line that's all they are. Compton was a later round olineman they usually take time to develop. I for one think you are wrong and will be proven so sometime this year.

I hope I am dead wrong. However, I brought up a few points that support my position and you have no data or info that bring me hope for Compton. There are a couple of points wrong with your post. Whether its Shanny or any other organization, late round picks are always long shots to contribute right away or at all, so thats a moot point. You address the pickups of Trueblood and Pashos, but not why we would bring in bodies to create a logjam at OT even though we are crippled with the cap penalty. Even if they are just camp bodies, which could certainly be true, the FO still brought back Polumbus. And Jordan Black? Do I really need to go into that?

To your credit, your not the only one on here pumping up Compton. But other than blind homerismand and wishful thinking, why would anyone think this kid will be the answer?

We have a very efficient passing game sure but I don't think any of those players are as diverse as Wheaton is and with Kyle's creativity that means we can use Wheatons versatility to exploit mismatches all over the defense. Morgan and Hank are good but nobody game plans for them. Hank may develop into more of a force but right now they are just effective and I wouldn't consider them dangerous. Moss is dangerous but he is losing a step and at the end of his time with us so Wheaton or somebody like him would be very effective as a replacement to phase Moss out. Plus Moss isn't as shifty anymore and just isn't the playmaking weapon that somebody like Wheaton would be IMO.

Adding that dynamic where any WR screen, reverse or quick slant etc can go to the house after making 1-2 guys miss would be a great addition to our offense. Getting it in somebody else's hands and letting them do the work also help RG3 and makes his world easier as well as Garçon, Davis and Morris. We need somebody that defenses fear, they might fear Moss a little but Morgan and Hank not so much.

WR. Because no matter how badly we all want that bookend RT to pair with Trent Williams, it seems clear that Shanahan is not going to solve our RT problems by expending valuable resources, be it FA funds or draft picks. Therefore, it seems likely he has a plan and does not see RT as our biggest weakness on offense. And so neither do I. Whereas I wouldn't be shocked at all to see one of our top two draft picks be a WR in this deep class.

I really think people are reading far to much into what happened last season - Compton was a 6th round rookie from a small school who would need time to adjust to the speed of the pros - Black was a 9 year vet who started 40 games and played in 94 0 he was considered a safe pair of hands but considering we had to drag him out of retirement he was never going to be a long term solution ..

Black never started a game for us but stepped in during the clevland game when Polumbus was injured - and then subsequently suspended - Mo Hurt came in to play the Eagles and TC was around the same time elevated from the PS .

Will Montomery played very well at C this last season but he spent the early part of his career bouncing around depth charts and practice squads and some of those lines were pretty terrible - Rob Jackson has been on and off the Redskins roster like a a yo-yo often behind some pretty marginal players so I think people are a little too quick to write Compton off because he could not unseat Polumbas ...

Wide receiver easily. Need WR's. Moss is over the hill, and anyone besides Garcon and Moss is not reliable to catch a ball. Problem is Moss can't outrun anyone to get open. Old age is catching up with him.

Another idea I have is, IF RG3 does not run and becomes somewhat of a pocket passer, I think the running game will suffer. We will need another strong RB to take up some slack. I still don't have ALL my faith in the current RB. He has proven he is good, but hasn't proven he can carry a team all year being a lone back.

Archived