Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tunisian Revolution and the Middle East--And Now, The Withdrawal From Afghanistan (M.E.T.)

jpyaks3

41 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Will we learn from this? I'm not sure how we would if one side is unwilling to take accountability for their role in the process. Biden, at least, did that much. But his opposition has been unwilling to do the same. 

I hope we learn that the mission objective and exit strategy should be clearly established before we go in.  And that reconstructing the nation to whatever it is that we desire after the war shouldn't be part of the mission.  It's war.  If we're not willing to leave a trail of burning cities as we leave, maybe we shouldn't go to that war in the first place.  You can use assassinations instead of war in that case.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ClaytoAli said:

So now that we’re basically gone, the Taliban can turn their full attention to fighting ISIS. WINNING! I swear, you can’t make this 💩 up.

4 hours ago, tshile said:

I think this is off base. 

I think it’s fair to say we were arrogant about how we would be received

or arrogant in not understanding how little we understood the people there, the history, and their devotion to (what they believe is a correct interpretation of) their religion

we also had a whole revenge thing going on that was basically unchecked. We were pissed. And rightfully so. 

There’s a lot of ways you could critique us. Especially if you want to dive into all the various strategies over the course of 20 years. We could spend a whole evening discussing drones, droning weddings, and our prioritizing checking off a box on a kill list over all else (at times)

i think saying the taliban outsmarted us is way off base. We destroyed their organization and took their entire country from them for 20 years and left because we were tired of its 

they survived the way ****roaches survive. 

they didn’t outsmart us. 

Again, arrogance. “If you cowards had come out and fought in a way that would have guaranteed us a win, we’d have kicked your ass!” Sorry, but it doesn’t work that way. The other guys want to win too and the winning strategy for them was to fire a round or send a suicide bomber here and there while waiting for us to step on our Johnsons, tire of our “loses”, lose patience and throw up our hands and leave. Just because a strategy isn’t complicated doesn’t mean it isn’t brilliant. We’re masters of over thinking and over resourcing things. They used the advantages they had in asymmetric warfare and like the Vietnamese, they won. They took horrendous losses, but they won. They may be ****roaches, but they won. What does that say about us? I don’t completely buy Sir John Glubb’s hypothesis but I’d say he wasn’t too far off.

37 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Taliban are telling women they work and go to school. Bull.

Just a ploy to get them to come out from their homes. They will either be killed or sold as sex slaves; once the westerners are gone.

and this is why that viral pic of the C-17 being packed with ~75% able bodied men made me angry....the men leave their wives, sisters, daughters, etc behind to get married off to Taliban fighters. Every man for himself.

5 hours ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

and this is why that viral pic of the C-17 being packed with ~75% able bodied men made me angry....the men leave their wives, sisters, daughters, etc behind to get married off to Taliban fighters. Every man for himself.

How are you only seeing men in that photo? I see women and children all over. 
Signed,

A Woman

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, The Sisko said:

Again, arrogance. “If you cowards had come out and fought in a way that would have guaranteed us a win, we’d have kicked your ass!” Sorry, but it doesn’t work that way. The other guys want to win too and the winning strategy for them was to fire a round or send a suicide bomber here and there while waiting for us to step on our Johnsons, tire of our “loses”, lose patience and throw up our hands and leave. Just because a strategy isn’t complicated doesn’t mean it isn’t brilliant. We’re masters of over thinking and over resourcing things. They used the advantages they had in asymmetric warfare and like the Vietnamese, they won. They took horrendous losses, but they won. They may be ****roaches, but they won. What does that say about us? I don’t completely buy Sir John Glubb’s hypothesis but I’d say he wasn’t too far off.

You’re just way off base. 

you are trying very hard to keep up your overly harsh criticism of our country, thinking you’re providing some sort of nuanced/meaningful/insightful opinion or description of what went on here when you’re not…

It works sometimes. You’ve missed big time here.

Edited by tshile

12 hours ago, Bacon said:

Will we learn from this? I'm not sure how we would if one side is unwilling to take accountability for their role in the process. Biden, at least, did that much. But his opposition has been unwilling to do the same. 

We won't learn from it because instead of "we learn history so we are not doomed to repeat it" we have become we learn history and delete what we don't like and is offensive to us because we don't like our feelings hurt...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Cause that was part of the deal Trump made?

if this is even close to being true, why would have Biden kept that deal intact clearly the Taliban didn't follow through on any deals... I thought we elected a seasoned experienced politician to office that could handle situations like this?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

if this is even close to being true, why would have Biden kept that deal intact clearly the Taliban didn't follow through on any deals... I thought we elected a seasoned experienced politician to office that could handle situations like this?

I’m unclear as to what part of the deal the Taliban broke.  We were supposed to leave in May and extended it to August, then the Taliban took over.  It seems the ceasefire is still intact vis a vis our troops and the Kabul airport is open and functioning per agreement.

5 minutes ago, thegreaterbuzzette said:

Because the optics would have been better if we took back all the equipment we have the Afghans and THEN left them??

They had already conceded defeat weeks ago why not destroy everything making it useless instead of give more ammo to control the current people living in that country...of we actually even cared about the people in the first place

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

I see we’ve reached the “I CARE A LOT” phase of discussion.

Taliban already experiencing the joys of Afghani governance!!

I mentioned the possibility of this before.  The hard question is what do we do with this.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Why would we leave a bunch of military equipment there and not destroy it before we left...wt*?!?

Because it wasnt left in the middle of the streets.

We left it with the Afghan army.  We didnt know they were going to just walk away.  

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

BTW -Everyone wants to find someone to blame.  And yes- There is def blame to go around (Bush, Obama, Trump, Biden) all had their part.

But lets not forget the true responsible administration. Reagan.  

Prior to 1978 Afghanistan was pretty westernized and a hot tourist spot for Hippies.  Then there were disagreements among different fractions of communist.

Russia went in to prop up the Government, AND to stop Religious zealots from taking control. 

Russia was trying to have a communist, but Western Secular country. You know- basicly the same thing we wanted for the last 20 years.  

We could have stayed out.  We could have looked the other way. We could have even supported pro-democracy movement.

But the only ones fighting were the ultra religious and Reagan saw a great chance to kill Russians and funded and armed the Mujahideens - completely ignoring their ideology.   All Americans knew was they were killing Russians sooo - lets help them!! (See Rambo III).

THAT was the problem. They WON.  Became the Taliban...and here we are.  

Edited by TMK9973
  • Like 4