Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"Don't Ask, Don't Tell Repeal Passes Senate Procedural Vote."

Baculus

Talk is cheap and the opportunity to enlist has always been there.
And students have always enlisted, just in small numbers. For example, Harvard students have been welcome at the MIT ROTC programs for a long time: http://web.mit.edu/armyrotc/home.html http://web.mit.edu/navyrotc/

Stanford students were going to Berkeley, Santa Clara, and San Jose: http://articles.sfgate.com/2010-03-09/bay-area/18381955_1_navy-rotc-military-officers-military-training

Having their own programs and allowing recruiters on campus should certainly create an opportunity for expansion, however.

It will be fun to see what excuses are used next.
I would expect most of the schools that had bans to have ROTC by next fall. The Vietnam-era professors at these schools are retiring, and students are much more pragmatic these days. It will also certainly help that we have a Commander-in-Chief that most of the faculty probably voted for.

It will be interesting to see how this progresses. I think ultimately the repeal of don't ask, don't tell is a good thing. But I do not think it is going to be without some significant pain in some segments of the military. And it is going to be quite a leadership challenge for some officers and NCOs.

Fun talking to my NCO children about it..welcome to the grey hair club

interesting reasoning here,wonder If the straight guys can use that line to shower with the females?:silly:

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/military-should-expressly-prohibit-heter

Straight Troops Must Shower With Gays, Says DOD Working Group--‘Gay Men Have Learned to Avoid Making Heterosexuals Feel Uncomfortable or Threatened in Situations Such as This’

“I do not have to shower or sleep in a room with men so I do not want to shower or sleep in the same room as a woman who is homosexual,” said a female service member. “I would feel uncomfortable changing and sleeping as I would if it was a man in the room. I should not have to accept this.”

“Tell him if he hits on me I will kick his - - -!” said another service member who participated in a DOD focus group.

Fun talking to my NCO children about it..welcome to the grey hair club

interesting reasoning here,wonder If the straight guys can use that line to shower with the females?:silly:

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/military-should-expressly-prohibit-heter

Straight Troops Must Shower With Gays, Says DOD Working Group--‘Gay Men Have Learned to Avoid Making Heterosexuals Feel Uncomfortable or Threatened in Situations Such as This’

“I do not have to shower or sleep in a room with men so I do not want to shower or sleep in the same room as a woman who is homosexual,” said a female service member. “I would feel uncomfortable changing and sleeping as I would if it was a man in the room. I should not have to accept this.”

“Tell him if he hits on me I will kick his - - -!” said another service member who participated in a DOD focus group.

Yep, if a straight person is made to bunk with a homosexual then the military should go completely co-ed. No need for separate showers, bathrooms or anything else. I mean, everyone who supports this says the same thing "you act like homosexuals can't control themselves". Well, if they can control themselves so can heterosexual's when showering around the opposite sex. Lets just make sure the communial living arrangements are put into affect before I retire. :)

Yep, if a straight person is made to bunk with a homosexual then the military should go completely co-ed. No need for separate showers, bathrooms or anything else. I mean, everyone who supports this says the same thing "you act like homosexuals can't control themselves". Well, if they can control themselves so can heterosexual's when showering around the opposite sex. Lets just make sure the communial living arrangements are put into affect before I retire. :)

Thats fine with me. :)

@twa I think the difference is that some of us don't think of homosexuality as a "lifestyle" just as I'm sure you don't think of heterosexuals in that way.

You simply are what you are......:2cents:

Why wouldn't I think of heteros that way?

There are numerous ways it is a lifestyle for both gays and heteros

In many ways in the military it is not simply what you are,but rather what they make of you.

Springfield,perhaps this will answer some of your questions

http://www.defense.gov/home/features/2010/0610_gatesdadt/DADTReport-SPI_FINAL_20101130%28secure-hires%29.pdf

America is NOT the Biblical Israel, and America is not the church which is the Kingdom of God. Let's try to not get the these things confused shall we.

BTW, Israel forces their gays to serve in the military...that's because in Israel everyone has to serve in the military. Sorry, to ruin the Right wing Christian narrative.

Israel has a secular government so your psudeo religious leftist tirate is moot.

Meh. It was time.

If other nations armies can figure this out and make it work we should too.

+1 Its rather a silly issue to make a stand against and it is very doable in terms of a transition. plus, there is a lot more on the congressional plate that is way more important, namely getting us out of a debt crisis.

Meh. It was time.

If other nations armies can figure this out and make it work we should too.

I agree,but other nations do not utilize their forces like we do.

I think it is bad timing and hope they proceed wisely.

with men like this it is doable

http://www.stripes.com/blogs/stripes-central/stripes-central-1.8040/top-marine-pledges-to-personally-lead-gay-integration-1.129363

One week after warning the distraction of repealing “don’t ask, don’t tell” could risk Marines’ lives, Gen. James Amos, commandant of the Marine Corps, pledged to lead the effort to integrate openly gay Marines.

“I, and the Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps [Carlton Kent], will personally lead this effort, thus ensuring the respect and dignity due all Marines,” Amos said. “On this matter, we look forward to further demonstrating to the American people the discipline and loyalty that have been the hallmark of the United States Marine Corps for over 235 years."

Flasher-in-a-mac-001.jpg

Hey it worked in Starship Troopers. I do find it funny that some in here believe that a gay guy would want to go after straight man. This isn't jail and I think they have self-control.

---------- Post added December-21st-2010 at 11:51 AM ----------

Im perfectly fine admitting that I personally couldnt control myself showering with the opposite sex.

Doesnt mean I would attack them, but Im pretty sure Id have a "reaction". Or some other jumbled version of those letters.

Kind of sad at your age that you wouldn't have a little more control over your reactions. There are some men that take it one step further and then they end up in jail. Just saying

I was in the military. You already knew. Especially with some of the women. I never saw it as a big deal. No one I've talked to that also served see's it as a big deal. People are people. Just do your job.

BTW, another victory for Obama. Hopefully some of my fellow liberals stop ****ing and start appreciating some of this stuff.

Wait, they let liberals in the military too???? Outrageous!

Being that I was in the Navy and have a ton of gay friends and family, I'm in an odd position.

I have never been for openly allowing gays in the military, but I've also never really been for integrating men and women either.

It just doesn't seem like the place for this "experiment".

Although, it does seem a little backwards to send all the straight people off to war and keep the gay ones at home. Not the way to really build the population, if ya get what I mean. :ols:

I don't get how the coed argument is suddenly relevant. Gay people have alwyas served, so why not argue for making everything coed 10 years ago?

No time machine? j/k

I do think it's time to go coed at the youngest of ages.

People in this country are very immature and uncomfortable about sexuality and their bodies in general.

I think that has to change at the beginning.

I don't get how the coed argument is suddenly relevant. Gay people have alwyas served, so why not argue for making everything coed 10 years ago?

I was :) ...equal rights mean equal sacrifice

Seeing as how females are over half the population,I have felt they should be utilized as much as feasible

The tiny percentage of gays in the military population is less of a issue

• 3 months later...

People need to act like adults and control themselves as regards sex and behavior and if in the military, the Military Code of Uniform Justice has regulations against unwanted sexual behavior. But the military needs to get its house in order over the sexual harassment and assault of its personnel, male or female. I see no problem here except for those who don't respect the military justice system. One of my GFs' brother was in the Marines and he's as gay as the day is long. He said there is lots of sexual activity among males in the military and in fact said that most of his sexual partners were willing and so-called straight. Oh, and he served in Vietnam. Go figure.

Act like adults, respect others' persons and there will be no problem. That's an order!

Archived