Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"Don't Ask, Don't Tell Repeal Passes Senate Procedural Vote."

Baculus

People need to act like adults and control themselves as regards sex and behavior and if in the military, the Military Code of Uniform Justice has regulations against unwanted sexual behavior. But the military needs to get its house in order over the sexual harassment and assault of its personnel, male or female. I see no problem here except for those who don't respect the military justice system. One of my GFs' brother was in the Marines and he's as gay as the day is long. He said there is lots of sexual activity among males in the military and in fact said that most of his sexual partners were willing and so-called straight. Oh, and he served in Vietnam. Go figure.

Act like adults, respect others' persons and there will be no problem. That's an order!

:yes:

What was it like?

Actually a lot better and more organized than I was expecting. Jist of it is gays will be treated exactly the same as everyone else. Those kicked out before can re-apply but will have to meet the same criteria as everyone else (since the navy is downsizing, you aren't guaranteed to get back in just because you were kicked our for being gay). Those gay couples that are "married" will not be recognized but instead treated as single. But they can request certain benefits under "hardship request". Such things will be considered like co-assignment to base housing for a gay couple. One main point they made was -This is policy. You don't have to agree with it but you will follow it. If you have a problem with it, take it up with your Congressman as a private citizen.-

People need to act like adults and control themselves as regards sex and behavior and if in the military, the Military Code of Uniform Justice has regulations against unwanted sexual behavior. But the military needs to get its house in order over the sexual harassment and assault of its personnel, male or female. I see no problem here except for those who don't respect the military justice system. One of my GFs' brother was in the Marines and he's as gay as the day is long. He said there is lots of sexual activity among males in the military and in fact said that most of his sexual partners were willing and so-called straight. Oh, and he served in Vietnam. Go figure.

Act like adults, respect others' persons and there will be no problem. That's an order!

I'm not going to get into all that. I wanted to share what the military training was, not my or other peoples opinions of how people should act.

Actually a lot better and more organized than I was expecting. Jist of it is gays will be treated exactly the same as everyone else. Those kicked out before can re-apply but will have to meet the same criteria as everyone else (since the navy is downsizing, you aren't guaranteed to get back in just because you were kicked our for being gay). Those gay couples that are "married" will not be recognized but instead treated as single. But they can request certain benefits under "hardship request". Such things will be considered like co-assignment to base housing for a gay couple. One main point they made was -This is policy. You don't have to agree with it but you will follow it. If you have a problem with it, take it up with your Congressman as a private citizen.-

Thanks for the info. Sound pretty damn professional (as one would hope it would be).

not even if they are legally married? (in a state that allows it)

This is the problem with state by state recognition of same sex marriage. It took Loving v. Virginia to have all states recognize mixed race marriages. It's the same principle. But we are discussing the end of DADT in this thread. I don't want to derail.

not even if they are legally married? (in a state that allows it)

Correct. This is because of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA). DOMA is a federal regulation saying that gay marriages "don't exist" and since the military belongs to the feds, they won't recognize gay marriages.

On a side note, I doubt it will be long before that issue is re-evaluated.

Archived