Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"Don't Ask, Don't Tell Repeal Passes Senate Procedural Vote."

Baculus

No. My point was that members of the military who might not be able to perform their jobs because they might be near a gay should probably be weeded out because they probably lack discipline. I have no problem with someone who dislikes homosexuals, thinks homosexuality is wrong, etc. serving in the military, provided they don't let their personal beliefs affect their professional obligations.

I'm curious if you also will support them being open about it?...or is that reserved for protected groups?

with the way certain threads have gone in the tailgate and ATN lately, i'm not surprised a decent thread has degraded to a dude cheering on cancer.

A foolish clip of a comedian might have something to do with that.

There might be a lesson there in that simply doing what is our right can cause chaos.

I'm sure people said the same thing about black people joining the armed forces. Would you feel safe sleeping around them and that they would destroy camaraderie. As it is, time will pass and gays will be accepted fully into the military as stupid biases are weeded out (such as roving gay rape gangs that rape people in the bunkrooms). There is going to be resistance and uncertainty at first, just like there was in the past. And just like in the civilian world, those fears go away and most people realize that they were afraid of nothing.

You simply are what you are......:2cents:

Oh really?

I was in Walgreen's to pick up my weekly case of Trojan Magnum XXL's (they're behind the counter).

The guy on line in front of me tells the pharmacist "I need some contraception for my 14 year old daughter."

The pharmacist asks "You have a sexually active teenage daughter?"

The guy says "Nah, she just kind of lays there like her mom."

Thanks, I'm here all week. ..stolen comment

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/switzerland/8198917/Switzerland-considers-repealing-incest-laws.html

You are what you are :evilg:

Oh really?

I was in Walgreen's to pick up my weekly case of Trojan Magnum XXL's (they're behind the counter).

The guy on line in front of me tells the pharmacist "I need some contraception for my 14 year old daughter."

The pharmacist asks "You have a sexually active teenage daughter?"

The guy says "Nah, she just kind of lays there like her mom."

Thanks, I'm here all week. ..stolen comment

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/switzerland/8198917/Switzerland-considers-repealing-incest-laws.html

You are what you are :evilg:

You know what I meant. :pfft:

Anyone feel like taking a crack at this?

Quote Originally Posted by Madison Redskin View Post

No. My point was that members of the military who might not be able to perform their jobs because they might be near a gay should probably be weeded out because they probably lack discipline. I have no problem with someone who dislikes homosexuals, thinks homosexuality is wrong, etc. serving in the military, provided they don't let their personal beliefs affect their professional obligations.

Quote twa...I'm curious if you also will support them being open about it?...or is that reserved for protected groups?

Are they what they are and we should accept them as such?

Anyone feel like taking a crack at this?

Quote Originally Posted by Madison Redskin View Post

Quote twa...I'm curious if you also will support them being open about it?...or is that reserved for protected groups?

Are they what they are and we should accept them as such?

So you're wanting to move this thread to the "is being gay a choice or who you are" direction then?

Let's see, how well has any of those threads ever worked out before?

Yeah, let's not go there today.

I don't get how someone doesn't 'agree' with homosexuality.

Homosexuality isn't an opinion.

not taking sides here, but opinions aren't the only thing one can agree with.

---------- Post added December-19th-2010 at 07:48 AM ----------

Just speculating as to what I would like the rule to be: I'd like to keep the "Don't ask, don't tell", part, and just get rid of the "If we find out, then it's a court martial" part.

did i just agree w/ larry?

not taking sides here, but opinions aren't the only thing one can agree with.

---------- Post added December-19th-2010 at 07:48 AM ----------

did i just agree w/ larry?

Major, I missed that statement by Larry myself and holy crap batman I agree with him as well. Can someone run down to the basement and see if hell has frozen over?

Please explain to me how a person who doesn't agree with a persons sexual PREFERENCE is a bigot?

Not at all. Everyone has the right to disagree with other people.

The ones who want to legislate that people who's only crime is "I don't like their kind", aren't permitted in their presence? Now those are the bigots.

:)

Is there a nice little tag we can lable peole who bash and hate on Christians wo don't agree with homosexuality?

"Myth"? :whoknows:

---------- Post added December-19th-2010 at 09:27 AM ----------

But we applaud the homosexuals currently serving who chose to disobey orders? The poor victims! I have no sympathy for any that have been discharged, not because they were gay, but the ones who knowingly disobeyed the UCMJ. That is not serving honorably. You can't pick and chose which orders you follow. Until it's legal, don't do it.

Unfortunately, the ones we're talking about in this thread are the ones discharged for being gay.

---------- Post added December-19th-2010 at 09:32 AM ----------

I'm curious if you also will support them being open about it?...or is that reserved for protected groups?

Depends on what you mean by "being open about it". (In both directions.)

The guy who everybody knows is "one of those types", but he does his job? Well, the operative part is "does his job".

The guy who goes so far with his lifestyle choice that he impairs the function of the team? Well, the operative part is "impairs the function of the team".

Notice that both of the above statements apply, whether we're talking about gays or bigots.

It will be interesting to see how this progresses. I think ultimately the repeal of don't ask, don't tell is a good thing. But I do not think it is going to be without some significant pain in some segments of the military. And it is going to be quite a leadership challenge for some officers and NCOs.

In response to Larry's question regarding what the policy will be...I certainly hope that mandatory disclosure is not required. My advice to anyone that happens to be homosexual and plans on joining the military is that being discrete about it is probably a good thing. Especially in the early days of the repeal. Mandatory "outing" would be worse in my opinion than the current policy. And will result in some very unfortunate outcomes.

As far as the people citing the recent poll. Even if 70% is representative across the entire military(I think the numbers are not quite there in the traditional "trigger pulling" units) that is still not an insignificant number. With 2 million members a 30% disapproval rating equals a pretty significant number of people. 100k in Afghanistan. For those that say the 30% are welcome to leave I certainly hope you are willing to line up and replace them. I suspect that is not the case at all.

I don't know if there will be a flood, but there will soon be the opportunity:
Harvard University President Drew Faust today signaled that she would move to restore ROTC to the campus.

"Because of today's action by the Senate, gay and lesbian Americans will now also have the right to pursue this honorable calling, and we as a nation will have the benefit of their service," she said in a statement through a spokesman. "I look forward to pursuing discussions with military officials and others to achieve Harvard's full and formal recognition of ROTC."

The vote, said Columbia University President Lee Bollinger, provides "the opportunity for a new era in the relationship between universities and our military services."

"This is an historic development for a nation dedicated to fulfilling its core principle of equal rights. It also effectively ends what has been a vexing problem for higher education, including at Columbia -- given our desire to be open to our military, but not wanting to violate our own core principle against discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation," he said in a statement through a spokesman.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/1210/Harvard_Yale_moving_on_ROTC.html?showall

Archived