Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Book Thread

Toe Jam

• 3 weeks later...

just finished Keith Richard's bio "Life"

It's a pretty enthralling read, especially the first half of the book where he recounts meeting Jagger and all of their early success(es). The amount of drugs and just general excess are truly worthy of a top flight rock star (it's amazing he's still alive). There is a cd version with Johnny Depp doing the narration so that would probably be another cool way to enjoy hearing his tale. I would recommend this to any rock and roll afficianado and of course to any and all Stones devotees.

So I just finished "20000 Leagues Under the Sea" and "Journey to the Center of the Earth", both great books, but the later is above the former.

Before that, I read "World Without End", the sequel to "Pillars of the Earth". Its not as graphic, but I like the character Jack from POTE more than Merlin from WWE, but I like Caris and Gwenda more than any characters in either book. I really like Ken Follett's books, but they're just such long reads.

Before that, I read two books from the "Gone" series by Michael Grant - "Gone" and "Hunger". Its a good series, kinda a cross between Lord of the Flies and X-Men. Nice series and a much easier read than the Ken Follett Books.

Before that, I read The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and The Girl WHo Plays with Fire. They both started slowly, but the first gets really good. The second (IMO) was just horribly written. I won't be a spoiler, but I really didn't like it.

Before that....I don't know, but I know somewhere along the line I read The Count of Monte Cristo (book > movie, as usual). It was long, but great.

• 6 months later...

After a far too short weekend getaway to Savannah, GA recently, my wife and I have decided to read the book Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil.

midnight.jpg

We went to Bonaventure Cemetery while in Savannah but unfortunately, the statue from that book cover has been removed from the cemetery and placed in a museum. For 50 years, the statue was there and no one really paid it any attention. But after the movie was made and the book used the image as the cover, the cemetery was attracting too much attention from tourist. Out of respect for the dead and the family of those buried there, the family related to the deceased bearer of that statue asked that it be removed and placed in a museum nearby. For the record, my wife and I knew the statue was removed well in advance of visiting Bonaventure Cemetery. The cemetery is one of the most hauntingly beautiful places I have ever seen.

FINALLY getting around to reading John Adams by John McCullough.

Good book.

Mentioned this book before on here recently--still reading it (NO time). Really, really good book though. Really enjoying it. And I'm convinced that after slavery and the eradication of Native Americans, our war in the Philippines at the start of the 20th Century, is right up there with Vietnam in ****ed up-ness. Probably surpasses it. Really didn't know much about it until reading this book (and obviously have to do more research). And the Anarchist movement puts the Communist movement to shame with their illogical, unrealistic, absurd expectations and hopes.

The President and the Assassin: McKinley, Terror, and Empire at the Dawn of the American Century by Scott Miller

• 1 month later...

The Monstrumologist, by Rick Yancey

Really good horror series.. very exciting, very gruesome, and moves right along at a very good pace.

good monsters.. written very well, as natural things.

The series is written from the point of view of master Will Henry.. a 12 year old orphan in the late 1800s who is taken in by the eminent Dr. Pellinore Warthrop upon the deaths of his parents. (Something Warthrop had no small part in).

Dr. Warthrop is a scientist.. a studier of Aberrent Biology... Monstrumology. Monsters are just that.. aberrent biology, and when the series takes a dip into the supernatural in the second volume, it is fun reading the inner arguments among the Monstrumological Society as to their reality or not.

There's three books in the series as of yet, and I'm in the middle of the third. Good, quick, fun books to read.

There's a lot of tie-ins with horror figures of the time.. Dr. Warthrop may or may not be friends with Jack the Ripper,, if indeed that is who Jack Kearns turns out to be.. Dr. Warthrop was taught in the arts of Monstrumology by Dr. Abraham Von Helrung,, who goes on to make his name in another book chasing the most famous vampire of all time.

(a fun undercurrent is that Dr. Helrung definitely believes in the supernatural, and his trying to convince the ever-analytical stalwart Warthrop of the existence of vampires, and, as it turns out in the second book, the Wendigo.)

If you like a good fast paced action pack monster series.. these are a LOT of fun. There have been scenes that I have read with white knuckles, and I often have to force myself to put it down so I can get back to work.

~Bang

So after this one guy was harping on me to read Jim Butcher, I bought book one of the Codex Alera series. Basically, I just forced myself to finish, because it wasn't my cup of tea.

So then the guy tells me, "no I meant the Dresden books". So I've read the first two, and they are enjoyable. He's a wizard living in modern day Chicago. Enjoyable, complete diversion, great read on the beach or plane book.

I too finished 11/22/63 and enjoyed it. King's romantic dialogue between the lead male & female character tends to be unintentionally funny though.

:ols:

I gave him the benefit of the doubt. I didn't realize that both his (King's) wife and 2 of his kids are authors also.

Guess I will go back to the final book of the Hunger Games series that I have been putting off for over a year.

Brandon Sanderson was mentioned earlier for his work finishing the Wheel of Time series, I'm surprised no one has brought up his other works. The Mistborn trilogy is now tied with The Lord of the Rings for my favorite fantasy series of all time.

If you enjoy reading fantasy, Mistborn is a MUST READ!

• 1 month later...

I read Escape from Camp 14 last week.

It's the true (and recent) story of a guy who was born and raised in a North Korean labor camp, escapes and flees the country, and then tries to acclimate to life in the outside world. When he escapes he has essentially no knowledge of anything outside the camp fences, and cares about nothing but food. The treatment of the prisoners in those camps is unconscionable.

• 3 weeks later...

Let's breathe some life back into this thread!

Has anyone read Under the Dome by Stephen King?

Since I just finished his recent one..was thinking about checking it out from the library...

Did you ever check it out? I have it and I loved it!

In%2Bthe%2BHeart%2Bof%2Bthe%2BSea.jpg

I'm currently reading In the Heart of the Sea - The tragedy of the Whaleship Essex. The Whaleship Essex was Melville's inspiration for Moby Dick. So far this book is an outstanding read and it gives a fascinating look back into the gruesome and depressing look into the daily life of a Whaler in the 19th century. Great read so far!

The-Destiny-of-the-Republic-Millard-Candice-9780385526265.jpg

I just finished The Destiny of the Republic. It was a fantastic look back to one of our forgotten Presidents, James A. Garfield and the events surrounding his presidency and assassination. There is no doubt in my mind that President Garfield would have been one of the more popular Presidents of all time had he not been shot by a deranged lunatic and placed under the care of a doctor who's medical practices were beyond disgusting and ultimately killed the president.

Over-the-Edge-of-the-World-9780060936389.jpg

Over the Edge of the World puts a totally new spin on the Magellan expedition. Magellan was basically undermined by basically everybody on his expedition and his journey to and subsequent death in the Philippines is absolutely horrifying! Awesome book!

the+last+stand.jpg

I am a HUGE Little Bighorn buff and will read just about anything on the subject. I have become a fan of Nathaniel Philbrick because of this book. While the events in the story are the same - Philbrick makes this read more like a novel as opposed to tactical military book that spends more time talking about troop positioning and movements than actual story. A MUST read if you like anything about the old west.

If you like smart ass "anti-hero" main characters and urban fantasy/horror: Sandman Slim by Richard Kadrey. It's the first book in a trilogy and is followed by Kill the Dead and Aloha from Hell.

If you've ever thought Tom Clancy's government forces could use more actual monsters to fight instead of figurative monsters well then Jonathan Maberry's Joe Ledger Series might be for you. Patient Zero (zombies), Dragon Factory (monsters made in genetic labs), King of Plagues (secret society + plagues), and Assassin's Code (Vampires).

Archived