Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

1 - .329 FG% puts him last in the league in amongst guards (qualified).

2 - .705 FT% puts him 53rd (of 58 qualified) amongst guards. He was 51st last season with .766 which is very low for his position.

3 - He's apparently decided not to attempt three point shots this season. In 6 games he has exactly one three point shot attempt.

It's early in the season and a lot can change, especially with stats, but there is no evidence that he showed up with an improved shot or offensive game which comes from work in the off season. He is a lousy shooter right now and the season isn't the time to work on your shot mechanics.

Lack of improvement isn't necessarily a sign that he wasn't working. He could've simply been working the wrong way. Almost everything you read on the man says he's a gym rat.

Haven't seen a single thing that shows this. Not one thing. I see a guy out there busting his ass and trying to play with subpar talent.

1 - .329 FG% puts him last in the league in amongst guards (qualified).

2 - .705 FT% puts him 53rd (of 58 qualified) amongst guards. He was 51st last season with .766 which is very low for his position.

3 - He's apparently decided not to attempt three point shots this season. In 6 games he has exactly one three point shot attempt.

It's early in the season and a lot can change, especially with stats, but there is no evidence that he showed up with an improved shot or offensive game which comes from work in the off season. He is a lousy shooter right now and the season isn't the time to work on your shot mechanics.

Lack of improvement isn't necessarily a sign that he wasn't working. He could've simply been working the wrong way. Almost everything you read on the man says he's a gym rat.

Keep in mind that I'm a Wall fan and I don't think he's a bad person or anything. The thing is I just can't believe that a basketball player coming off a bad shooting year didn't realize he needed to work on his shooting. Especially a guard coming off a bad shooting season.

The reason I don't fault him is because he's 21 making great money and playing on a crap team. He needed to have fun playing basketball again and did exactly that. I can't imagine having to lose that many games and still see Blatche's lazy ass fast walking down the court or Lewis sporting that 24 million dollar **** eating grin while doing nothing at all.

He needs a pull up jumper and more options around the rim at the very least. His assists will improve when the team does because right now it's basically McGee's dunks and little else.

I don't know how many times I've seen Wall deliver a beautiful pass to an open guy only to have that guy either miss the jumper or make some terrible decision with the ball.

Our FO has done an awful job surrounding Wall with the right talent. I get that we're rebuilding but rebuild the right way by building around your franchise player and giving him complimentary pieces.

Keep in mind that I'm a Wall fan and I don't think he's a bad person or anything. The thing is I just can't believe that a basketball player coming off a bad shooting year didn't realize he needed to work on his shooting. Especially a guard coming off a bad shooting season.

The reason I don't fault him is because he's 21 making great money and playing on a crap team. He needed to have fun playing basketball again and did exactly that. I can't imagine having to lose that many games and still see Blatche's lazy ass fast walking down the court or Lewis sporting that 24 million dollar **** eating grin while doing nothing at all.

He needs a pull up jumper and more options around the rim at the very least. His assists will improve when the team does because right now it's basically McGee's dunks and little else.

I believe that he did work on his jumper. The thing about it is when you look at his jumper it actually looks good as far as his form. He just doesn't have confidence in it. That is truly his issue. The only way to gain confidence is to keep shooting. His issue is different then Rondo. Rondo doesn't have good form therefore he doesn't shoot well. However when Rondo shoots he shoot confidently. In fact, Rondo's whole game is based on confidence in his abilities.

I believe another issue that effects his confidence is actually knowing when he should shoot. As a point guard he differs so much, it makes him look out of character when he decides to call his own number and shoot. I think they should run some plays for him to come off a pick rather than him calling his own number to take the jumper.

NBA teams shoot for the stars in their draft. Everyone knew that Big Baby Davis and Dejuan Blair were good enough to be in an 8-man rotation. But they were never going to be stars. On paper' date=' Thabeet had the potential to be a star. That's the NBA in a nutshell.[/quote']

Your whole post was spot on. Potential is a very ugly word in the NBA draft. Also, I'll add that these guys are one and done whereas football has to stay for 3 years. I think these guys need at least 2 years at the NCAA D1 level and turn 20. Too many guys bust out their freshman year flop when they get to the NBA.

I believe another issue that effects his confidence is actually knowing when he should shoot. As a point guard he differs so much, it makes him look out of character when he decides to call his own number and shoot. I think they should run some plays for him to come off a pick rather than him calling his own number to take the jumper.

Excellent thought.

Haven't seen a single thing that shows this. Not one thing. I see a guy out there busting his ass and trying to play with subpar talent.

It's that old Bobby Knight idea: you don't need players who love to play, you need players who love to practice.

Obviously, when I say "practice," everyone thinks of Iverson. And actually, he is a perfect example. He played his balls off every night. No NBA player in history gave more effort in games. But his game never really developed beyond what it was when he was a rookie.

The great ones do what Kobe Bryant did when he showed up one year with Hakeem's post game. Or when Magic Johnson suddenly and inexplicably became the best free throw shooter in basketball.

That's what everyone wants from Wall. He needs to come into camp every year with something new that he developed in the summer.

I don't think we're that far apart in terms of our thoughts. I just disagree with the assertion that Wall didn't realize he needed to work on his shooting. I remember reading quotes towards the end of last season & over the lockout from Wall himself stating that he needed to & was taking steps to work on his shot.

I don't think we're that far apart in terms of our thoughts. I just disagree with the assertion that Wall didn't realize he needed to work on his shooting. I remember reading quotes towards the end of last season & over the lockout from Wall himself stating that he needed to & was taking steps to work on his shot.

That may be true. But it didn't work.

It's unfair, but I tend to think that if players didn't improve in weak areas, they didn't work on them enough. I'm probably wrong about that, but I think I share that perception with others.

FYI for those interested to go to the 76ers game on Friday, January 13th in Philly, tickets are Buy 3 get 3 Free (must buy 6), which turns out to be $6.66 for the corner, $8.50 upper center, and $27 for a lower (quick math). It's a home/home so the Sixers will win, i mean um, play them saturday also, this time in DC.

www.76ers.com

Enjoy!

Edited by superozman

People are too impatient with Wall if they think he's not working.

PG is hard as hell to learn and takes a long time to master.

Derrick Rose is a great ball handler and PG but he was nothing more than a good high usage slasher his first two seasons, and he played on good teams. Before his third season he was not a good floor general and he was a dreadful long range shooter.

Things clicked for him his third year, and honestly that's pretty early for a PG. It wouldn't surprise me if it takes Wall until his third or fourth year to become a great PG.

Wall isn't the problem at all. Our problem is that we have the wrong coach for the job, we're a roster full of role players, and we've got a couple of bad eggs like Blatche frustrating everyone in the organization and wrecking our chemistry. We need to get a high lotto pick this year and get a stud and get rid of the guys poisoning our chemistry and figure out some sort of rhythm on offense with our guards (who seem like they have no idea how to play with each other). And most of all, we need to drastically upgrade our forwards, who've got to be the worst in the league all told.

I don't know how many times I've seen Wall deliver a beautiful pass to an open guy only to have that guy either miss the jumper or make some terrible decision with the ball.

Our FO has done an awful job surrounding Wall with the right talent. I get that we're rebuilding but rebuild the right way by building around your franchise player and giving him complimentary pieces.

I am yet too see this at all this season or at least don't remember cause there haven't been many if any. John Wall rarely breaks down the defense and give his struggling teammates easy confidence boosting open shots. Every shot this team takes is contested Blatche 1 on 1 or Nick Young 1 on 1 or Crawford 1 on 3 lol. The team sucks

Wall after 7 games says he's not having fun well it's not fun watching you either right now. BLATCHE I defended him but he's garbage so is most every player on the team, but Wall is not looking like a diamond right now buried in dirt and coal he's not even trying.

Edited by SiCkSoULjA

FWIW, here's how I fixed the Wizards on NBA 2k12:

- Traded Rashard Lewis, Nick Young, Hamadieya Ndiayeagye and my 2012 first round pick to the Pacers

- Received Danny Granger, their 2012 first round pick, their 2012 second round pick

- Traded Andray Blatche, Jan Vesely, and my 2013 first round pick to the Trailblazers

- Received LaMarcus Aldridge

- Signed Gilbert Arenas to a two year contract to be my starting SG.

LOL!

I lost seven of my first eight games by 15 points or more but eventually I figured out the rotations that work for me and found everyone's roles and now I'm a force. I've won six in a row, all by 15 or more and finished the first month at .500.

Silly as those trades are, they illuminate what this team desperately needs to make sense. We need a versatile wing who can catch and shoot at a high %, rebound, defend the perimeter and kick ass in a 2-3 zone, and pull up and shoot off his dribble from range fairly well. Even more importantly, we need a GD power forward with post skills who can get points in the paint with high efficiency, and rebound, rebound, rebound.

Blatche is such a subpar PF that it drags us down. He can't shoot. He can't work the block and get easy shots off inside. He doesn't rebound well for his size. He doesn't hustle back on defense regularly. All he is, is a high volume face up shooter with a decent mid range jumper who can pass. We can do so much better than him for our starting PF and almost all of the really good teams have much more skilled and efficient PFs than him.

We also need a 2 guard that can shoot threes.

We have no shooters and nobody with a post game who can get good looks in the paint. We only score from inside the paint in transition, on putbacks, alley-oops, Wall's wild and inefficient slashing, and the rare occasions when McGee posts someone up.

In some respects, a guy like Jared Sullinger who can post people up with his big ass and has a feather touch from within 9 feet would be useful (but you have to worry about him getting his shot off against length).

But we also desperately need to upgrade positions 2 or 3 with a good all around shooter and/or defender.

Looking back, I think Singleton makes a lot of sense for our team and has the upside to develop into a quality starting SF when he develops an offensive game of some sort. But where in the hell does Vesely fit in except as an energy man off the bench?

If I were the Wizards GM, I would trade everyone except Wall, McGee, Singleton, and one Booker/Seraphin in order to get either a reliable starting scoring two/three 28 or under i.e. Danny Granger, OJ Mayo, James Harden, anyone who can shoot and score whose team has drafted or signed other players at their position. Or I'd trade those players in a package to get another lottery pick in this year's class.

With our lottery pick + another one we could get a good PF and a good SF/SG in this year's class and have everyone grow up together. Use Vesely as the central part of any package alongside some of our other appealing young role players like Booker or Seraphin. Strike up a 3 team deal if you have to that clears out half the roster. This is the year to leverage our youth and toolsyness for quality.

---------- Post added January-6th-2012 at 06:22 PM ----------

Why does no one coming into the NBA have a post game any more? It's not like shooting 18 footers will ever get easier.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

Or how about this, trade a package of players for DeMarcus Cousins? He's not even traveling with the team right now. Sacramento can't deal with him, they need to get rid of him. He can score in the post and is the bullying presence to perfectly compliment McGee's length and athleticism.

We don't need an athletic PF if we have Cousins and McGee. We can feature plenty of athleticism on the wings with what we've already got + our likely high lottery pick this year. Quincy Miller, Perry Jones, Harrison Barnes, whoever, they'd all work. We've have a much more balanced lineup with a couple of legit go to scoring options plus we'd be alright defensively and be a lot better at rebounding.

Or how about this, trade a package of players for DeMarcus Cousins? He's not even traveling with the team right now. Sacramento can't deal with him, they need to get rid of him. He can score in the post and is the bullying presence to perfectly compliment McGee's length and athleticism.

We don't need an athletic PF if we have Cousins and McGee. We can feature plenty of athleticism on the wings with what we've already got + our likely high lottery pick this year. Quincy Miller, Perry Jones, Harrison Barnes, whoever, they'd all work. We've have a much more balanced lineup with a couple of legit go to scoring options plus we'd be alright defensively and be a lot better at rebounding.

Sacramento fired the coach, so I expect that trade talk to quiet down for awhile. At least until Cousins becomes pissed at the new guy.

I think who ever loses this game tonight will have a new coach by Monday. I love the Wizards, but I hope this free-fall continues. I just want Flip/EG/Blatche gone and for this team to start from scratch with the RIGHT leadership from the coach to the FO. Honestly, I wouldn't even be the slightest bit upset if Sam Cassell is named interim.