Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

McGee got dominated by the looks of it but I expected that.

Actually, it was more Seraphin than McGee. Flip mentioned post game that McGee had a cold so he didn't get much burn.

Ted is a terrible owner.

Well this is a new twist.

One word: lockout. This is not just a young team, they're an immature team in age, attitude, and basketball prowess. They need all the practice and coaching they can get.

It's really that simple.

That's the key to winning in the NBA.

You guys are so freaking negative.

I have been saying this all along.

Cleveland got lucky with Lebron.

Maybe we get lucky at some point.

Otherwise it's the curse of les bulez

you and I don't see eye to eye on much...but def. do here. We absolutely have to hit the lottery big this draft.

Actually, it was more Seraphin than McGee. Flip mentioned post game that McGee had a cold so he didn't get much burn.
That's just mean. They should have put Balatche on him, lol.

Btw anyone notice the wizards are unquestionably the worst team in the nba? This season is going to educate Leonsis the old fashion way, through failure.

Edited by Destino

this draft is supposedly the deepest since the lebron draft(04?)

---------- Post added January-5th-2012 at 02:55 AM ----------

literally look like a crappy pick-up team.

i wish wall would go allen iverson and at least try and keep us competitive rather than hoping the rest of the team makes shots early. He needs to step up from the start and put points on the board when no-one else can

Ted is a terrible owner. You will not win in the NBA by exclusively building through the draft, period. Instead of stockpiling "talent", why did we not package all of those picks and bring in a legitimate star like Rudy Gay.

I think Ted is a good owner who is completely wrong about the proper way to build an NBA team. Stockpiling picks and picking in the top five year after year makes you the Timberwolves or what the Clippers have historically been.

Cleaing cap space, and packaging whatever assets you have for a superstar is how you become good.

This is not the NHL. There are only two ways to become good in the NBA: draft Lebron or acquire Lebron after he has been drafted. I know people here love John Wall, but he ain't Lebron. He's more like a Chris Bosh (not in terms of play but in terms of where he will ultimately fit in the NBA heirarchy). He's the guy the puts you over the top after you get the guy that makes you good. You can draft a dozen Chris Singleton's and it will - at most - make you an 8 seed.

---------- Post added January-5th-2012 at 10:31 AM ----------

The more I think about it....as deep and good as this draft is, I don't think there is a surefire right out of the gate superstar in this draft. We are probably looking at another two years before we are any good.

Is there any chance in hell that John Wall is going to suffer through two and a half more years of this and decides to stay long term? The only player in recent NBA history who stuck with a bad team through a long period of time is Paul Pierce and Paul Pierce seems to have been born in 1928. Even "good guys" like Ray Allen have forced their way out of bad situations. (I guess Garnett showed a lot of loyalty to Minnesota for an inconceivably long time as well).

I know this draft is deep but I don't know yet if there is one franchise-changing player in it yet. If there is a Duncan/Lebron/Durant type and the Wizards get him, then everything will be okay. If the Wizards end up with a Bargnani/Bogut solid but not transcendent type, then this is never going to end.

That was one of the worst games of basketball I have seen in quite some time. I mean no one even understands what a pick and role defense is. How is that possible? Wall can drive to the basket' date=' but he can't finish nor can he pass to anyone's hands. Shot selection is increasingly terrible. Ugh, I am finding it harder and harder to explain why I watch this team play when someone walks in[/quote']Unfortunately I agree with every word of this Skin'em.

chipwich you are the definition of a troll dude...but that's neither here nor there

This team has to have the lowest combined basketball IQ in recent history...John Wall plays like a failed AND 1 mixtape player nowadays. If this team didn't redo the color scheme and sucker me into believing the "new traditions" bull****, I would get this angry. For some reason, i thought they could be average...damn was a wrong.

It's not just Blatche...it's about 95% of the entire organization.

Now you see why I've been so down in them in recent years. Everything changes on this team but the win column. They're like my O's have become unwatchable to me. I won't root for another team, I'll just wait until they become unembarrassing, then start to watch them again. I'm getting too old for this crap and a heart attack/stroke is not worth it.

Edited by pjfootballer

That's exactly what I meant. Even considering how bad he's been I still think the Gilbert trade was positive for the Wizards. I was commenting on the team as it stands right now.

Copy that!

Getting rid of Gilbert based on him being a distraction is a better assessment. The contracts weren't really anything in the matter as Lewis signed 6 year/$118 million contract in 2007 as opposed to Gilbert's 6 year/$124 deal in 2008. Really only got rid of a year's salary.

Oh. :)

I think Ted is a good owner who is completely wrong about the proper way to build an NBA team. Stockpiling picks and picking in the top five year after year makes you the Timberwolves or what the Clippers have historically been.

Cleaing cap space' date=' and packaging whatever assets you have for a superstar is how you become good.

[b']This is not the NHL. There are only two ways to become good in the NBA: draft Lebron or acquire Lebron after he has been drafted. I know people here love John Wall, but he ain't Lebron. [/b]

This is about as simply put as it gets and what I and others said earlier in the thread. The wallet book has to come out. You cannot follow the Capitals' model of rebuilding. A hockey team is made of four forward lines and three defensive pairings. A basketball team is made of five starts and a few bench players. One player makes much more of a difference. You need a superstar.

This is not the NHL. There are only two ways to become good in the NBA: draft Lebron or acquire Lebron after he has been drafted.
But there is a chicken-and-egg problem.

You can't acquire LeBron unless you have already drafted Wade. You can't acquire Shaq unless you have already drafted Wade. You can't acquire Shaq unless you have already drafted Kobe. You can't acquire Gasol unless you have already drafted Kobe. You can't acquire Garnett and Allen unless you have already drafted Pierce. You can't acquire Boozer and Hamilton unless you already drafted Rose.

If you build only through free agency, you can build a team as good as Arenas, Butler, and Jamison. You can build a team as good as Amare, Carmelo and Chandler. But almost every championship team has been built around one really good draft pick who can attract big free agents to play with him.

You need one really good draft pick to be the cornerstone, and then you can go out and sign free agents. Maybe John Wall is that guy, maybe not. But if he isn't that guy, I think it makes sense to look to the draft to try to find that guy.

http://www.truthaboutit.net/2012/01/andray-blatche-goaltends-a-free-throw-does-other-andray-blatche-things.html

Why this man gets the minutes he does is beyond me. Its like the coaching staff refuses to believe what they see on tape (if they're still watching tape at this point).

Because this team averages 85ppg and the guys behind him on the depth chart are Booker and Seraphin. That is the only reason I can think of. Maybe Jan Vesely can play some PF being that he can't shoot he might just try to attack the basket every chance he gets which could be an improvement.

The entire team is worse than last year other than McGee in terms of stats. He's the only one that's improved. His FG% is about the same but his points and rebounds are up. Blatche, Wall, Young, and Lewis have all dropped significantly in FG% and PPG. The team is averaging 12ppg less than last season.

Edited by Destino

But there is a chicken-and-egg problem.

You can't acquire LeBron unless you have already drafted Wade. You can't acquire Shaq unless you have already drafted Wade. You can't acquire Shaq unless you have already drafted Kobe. You can't acquire Gasol unless you have already drafted Kobe. You can't acquire Garnett and Allen unless you have already drafted Pierce. You can't acquire Boozer and Hamilton unless you already drafted Rose.

If you build only through free agency, you can build a team as good as Arenas, Butler, and Jamison. You can build a team as good as Amare, Carmelo and Chandler. But almost every championship team has been built around one really good draft pick who can attract big free agents to play with him.

You need one really good draft pick to be the cornerstone, and then you can go out and sign free agents. Maybe John Wall is that guy, maybe not. But if he isn't that guy, I think it makes sense to look to the draft to try to find that guy.

I agree, You need to be REALLY good at drafting and then get a few FA's to go with them. But the key isn't drafting lotto picks. You need to land in the middle of the 1st round and get stars there. Players other teams overlooked. The NBA has a developmental issue which they didn't address. The NBDL is a joke. They need a better minor league system where every team is affiliated with their own minors team or two. Problem is "where"? I think Baltimore and Richmond would be good for Washington.

I agree with that. I'm operating under the assumption that Wall is that guy. The Clippers were operating under the assumption that Blake was that guy, and it got them Paul. Now, the Clippers are the Clippers and are capable of screwing this up. But any other franchise would be set for the next six years if they were in that position.

By the way, you are off a little bit about Shaq. He went to LA because that is where he wanted to be. He wanted money, fame, and the uniform. Kobe was 18 years old when Shaq signed there and I'm not even sure he had been drafted yet. He didn't even become a starter until Shaq's third year there.

The Lakers are just the luckiest goddamn franchise in history and only they would stumble into the second, third or fourth best shooting guard ever during the same year they sign the most dominant player of his era. Nobody expected this from Kobe Bryant in 1996. He was Jellybean Bryant's weird and talented son and nothing more.

(I also don't think Shaq had the same drive a lot of players had. He won titles because he was THAT much better than anyone else and he worked just hard enough to win them, because he found that winning titles made him even more famous. I don't think Shaq ever wanted to be the best player in the world. I think he wanted to be the most famous player in the world. Playing in LA helped that goal. So did winning. He may be the only player who ever won titles as secondary result of his true goals).

Anyway, I don't know what the Wizards need to do because DC has never been a destination for free agents. But the only sane thing to do is look at the team as Wall and bunch of assets.

However, I will even go this far:

Let's say that Westbrook completely loses his mind and demands a trade in the next 18 months. Wouldn't the Wizards have to consider dangling Wall in that situation? Wall could become an All-Star. Westrbook is an All Star and might be a top ten player in the right situation. (I'm just speculating now, but the Wizards are looking at some kind of 13 win season here. They can't act like any idea is stupid).

I can't get mad for the Wizards losing. We all knew that they were lacking talent and they were a young team. You add in the fact that we knew that Blatche isn't as good as most think he is and you really knew it can get real ugly real quick. Since it looks like we won't be going to the playoffs, I am just going to watch the games and enjoy our fall to a top five pick.

I agree, You need to be REALLY good at drafting and then get a few FA's to go with them. But the key isn't drafting lotto picks..

Yes it is. It absolutely is.

The only proven method of winning titles is stealing a superstar (Shaq, Garnett, etc) or drafting one - usually in the lottery. Dirk and Kobe are among the only Championship MVP players who didn't go in the top five - and they were both lottery picks.

Go back to 1981.

The Lakers won because of Kareem (the #1 overall pick) and Magic (#1 overall). The Celtics had Bird (#1) and McHale (#3 overall). The 76ers and Moses and Doc who would have been the #1 overall picks in their years if the ABA didn't steal them first. The ABA more or less broke the law to sign Moses to a contract. The Pistons had Isiah (#1 overall). The Bulls had Jordan (#3 overall) and Pippen (#5 overall). The Rockets had Hakeen (#1 overall). The Lakers had Shaq (#1) and Kobe (#13 as a high schooler). The Spurs had Duncan (#1) and Robinson (#1).

- As an aside if you have the dominant center, you don't really need a great second player. John Wall is not a dominant center. -

The Heat had Wade (#5) and Shaq (#1). The Celtics had Pierce (#10), Allen (#5), and Garnett (#5).

The Cavs and Heat got to the Finals with Lebron (#1). The Mavs won with Dirk (#9) and a supporting cast that included Kidd (#2) and Terry (#10).

The Nets went to two finals because of Kidd (#2) and, I guess, Kenyon Martin (#1).

The only team that followed your formula and had any kind of sustained success is the mid-decade Pistons.

---------- Post added January-5th-2012 at 04:48 PM ----------

The NBA has a developmental issue which they didn't address. The NBDL is a joke. They need a better minor league system where every team is affiliated with their own minors team or two.

That's silly. There aren't enough good basketball players in the US to fill a massive minor league system and there is no way financially it makes any sense. The NBA has a free developmental league with plenty of top-notch coaching. It's called the NCAA.

You are thinking about a problem that existed in the league a dozen years ago when teams stupidly wasted lottery picks on high schoolers that they had no way of evaluating and no interest in developing. The age requirement has fixed that problem to a large degree. If you notice how many insanely great players have entered the league since then, you can see that one year with even an iffy coach like Rick Barnes seems to be good for players.