Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

G.A.C.O.L.B, you know you're my man but I gotta say something:

You seem to criticize every Wizards player but give Wall a pass on just about everything.

I know you're a fan of his but Wall is an average PG right now.

Actually, I think he's barely average. :2cents:

---------- Post added January-7th-2012 at 02:35 AM ----------

Can we all agree that Rashard is basically done?

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

And Singleton had 5 to lay it in.

Why deflect all blame off Wall? He's the star, he could've made a play, had all the time and space to do it and blew it. He's young and he'll learn but regardless he choked. Should've used the space to get a more comfortable shot since he can't shoot whatsoever.

Brave, you know he has thin skin.

Any honest criticism of the team gets him worked up.

I expect the typical name calling and such from my post since I am a Lakers fan.

And those that call Wall" the Star"...He is NOT yet. He is in training to be a star. He has all of that magical word..."potential". He still has a long way to go.

Yea, Rashad Lewis is horrible. He had so many turnovers tonight. Kicked the ball off of his own foot out of bounds with no pressure from the defense, threw the ball away and didn't hustle to try to make up for it defensively. He is just bad and extra lazy this season. Get rid of him now imo.

And we need to pay Nick Young right now... he is our best scorer on this team. No question about it.

Problem is that he's still not worth what he wants. He's still the same one-dimensional player he was before. Even though he's a big part of the team, it's not worth the bad contract it will probably take to keep him.

Wall dropped 22 and 9 and made a ton of baskets late to bring us back. I'd hardly call it choking. Sucks he missed that open 3 though.

Singleton played a good game, as did Booker. Melo just took over though, that's what superstars do.

Good loss. Almost had the W. Oh wells...

Why deflect all blame off Wall? He's the star, he could've made a play, had all the time and space to do it and blew it. He's young and he'll learn but regardless he choked. Should've used the space to get a more comfortable shot since he can't shoot whatsoever.

You qouted me.

---------- Post added January-7th-2012 at 12:06 AM ----------

WALL IS NOT OVERRATED. He is a young developing point guard surrounded by mainly trash and being coached by a terrible coach. How are you supposed to succeed as a true point guard when you have ZERO reliable scorers. You put Wall on a playoff caliber team and he'd be a top 3 pg in the league.

This is what I think about Wall. Therefore, much of the criticisms of him I find absurd, short sighted and just ridiculous. And I do get annoyed. Because, quite frankly, I'm still waiting to be wrong about something. Just like it took two years (minimum) for everyone to catch up with me about Blatche, I fully expect the same to happen with Wall (on the flipside of things). In the meantime, please excuse me if I continue to be annoyed.

And Kosher,you got some serious issues man. Honestly, I don't care if yoiure a bandwagon fan, nobody does. Just let it go man. Be free. Stop obsessing over Wizards threads.

There are serious flaws to Wall's game. He does not have a single go to offensive move. What besides drive in and layups/dunks can he succesfully do on offense? No jumpshot, no tear drop, no step back, no fadeaway, abysmal from the three point line. Even his finishing around the basket with defenders around him is suspect at best right now.

The fact that he can go out and get 22 and 9 with such a poorly developed offensive game truly speaks to his overall talent and which is why I believe that he'll eventually become the best PG in the league. That is, I'm assuming that he either develops a reliable jumpshot or becomes crafty enough to make tear drops and be a better finisher around the rim.

Although to suggest, that right now, he can be put on a good playoff team and become a top 3 PG is truly underselling just how good a lot of PG's in the league are.

Edited by No Excuses

People forget that Rose went to what was basically a playoff team as a rookie surrounded by quality vets like Hinrich. Rondo eventually got surrounded by three future HOF-ers. Even Westbrook landed on a team with Durant.

Wall, on the other hand, has found himself in an awful situation. Nobody around him that's truly reliable. On top of that, he's had a ton of responsibility shouldered on him from the get go. Yet despite all that, he put up 16 and 8 last year and his #s were on par if not better than Rose, Westbrook, Rondo, and D-Will. I think the only pure PGs in NBA history who had better rookie years were CP3 and Isiah Thomas. He had a triple double less than a month into his rookie year(it took Rose 3 years to get a triple double just for comparison sakes).

Does Wall have flaws he needs to work on? Absolutely. What second year players that are 21 years old don't? He's obviously nowhere close to a finished product nor should he be. But many times in 1+ years so far he has put the team, an absolutely awful team that without him would contend for worst team of all time, on his back and gave them a chance to win. Anyone saying he's a bust is...well an idiot. Is he a star right now? No. Does he have star talent? Hell yeah. The LAST guy on this team I'm worried about is John Wall.

It all comes down to scoring with this team. Wall and Young were 20+ points and McGee put up another double double. As a result we're a three pointer from Carmelo (that he got off because he elbowed singleton in the face) away from winning. Mid 90s scoring is typical for teams to win. You aren't going to see a lot of 87-83 victories from this young team.

They have to keep it up and others have to improve.

It all comes down to scoring with this team. Wall and Young were 20+ points and McGee put up another double double. As a result we're a three pointer from Carmelo (that he got off because he elbowed singleton in the face) away from winning. Mid 90s scoring is typical for teams to win. You aren't going to see a lot of 87-83 victories from this young team.

They have to keep it up and others have to improve.

We win this game if our forwards don't ****ing blow. Seriously, we've got to have the worst starting forwards in the NBA. This is a forward driven league offensively. We're going to lose to the team with elite forwards 9 out of 10 times because we can't stop them and can't keep pace with them.

Sit Blatche and Rashard and start Singleton and Booker as our forwards. What can it hurt? Are they truly any worse offensively? They're already better defensively.

I truly think we need to make finding a legit PF our #1 priority from here on out. Everything will be so much easier if we do.

---------- Post added January-7th-2012 at 04:29 AM ----------

WALL IS NOT OVERRATED. He is a young developing point guard surrounded by mainly trash and being coached by a terrible coach. How are you supposed to succeed as a true point guard when you have ZERO reliable scorers. You put Wall on a playoff caliber team and he'd be a top 3 pg in the league.

Fans misdirect their anger and frustration when the team is losing. They get tunnel vision, prisoner of the moment, lose rational perspective, so on and so forth.

Our esteemed and ever thoughtful fan base wanted to cut Perry Riley after one game where he had a pair of costly bad plays on special teams as a rookie. Now look at the fools. We could dredge up those threads and laugh at the idiots making such stupid knee jerk complaints but then we'd find it would involve most of the board...

Same dynamic working here.

---------- Post added January-7th-2012 at 04:59 AM ----------

Just to drive home the ascendance of the scoring forward in today's game, half the top 24 scorers in the league this season are forwards.

Fifteen of the top 25 scorers from last season were pure forwards. Seventeen if you count Kevin Martin and Andrea Bargnani as forward types, which is fair. Thirteen from the year before that (seven of the top ten), but really it's fifteen or sixteen considering Stephen Jackson, Joe Johnson, and Tyreke Evans are all listed as guards but are clearly more forward types.

We're currently getting 21.1 PPG from our starting forwards this season. A great scoring team with great forwards like the Knicks gets more than twice that (49.1 PPG to be exact).

There's our main problem. We have no margin for error because we can't score consistently because our two most important offensive positions feature our two worst starters. We have no go to scorers. No team can win in the NBA like that.

How does Vesely help that right now? Does offer hope for scoring at the three or four long term? Doubt it. What's his ceiling realistically? What was the plan in drafting him? "Dammit, everyone else decent got taken before we could pick because we got ****ed by the lottery once again..."

Wall dropped 22 and 9 and made a ton of baskets late to bring us back. I'd hardly call it choking. Sucks he missed that open 3 though.

Singleton played a good game, as did Booker. Melo just took over though, that's what superstars do.

Good loss. Almost had the W. Oh wells...

Agreed. Melo was clearly the physically strongest man on the court. At least stronger than any Wizard. That guy has stepped it up this season already and his physical strength played a big role in being able to manhandle anyone covering him last night. (He also had the refs in his pocket.) Booker played better D against him than Singleton did but Anthony was still able to get shots to fall when he needed them to. Man, he was dominant. He and Ray Allen have had the best games against us so far this season.

Chris Singleton's three point game is a very pleasant surprise. Honestly did not know that he had this in his game. He's a legitimate NBA starter.

Seriously add Kevin Love to this starting line up:

Wall

Young

Singleton

Love

McGee

This is a playoff team and potentially a top 3-4 seed in the East. I really think this team is a quality PF away from contending in the East.

Wow I did not realize his #s this year were so good. Do we have enough cap room to max Love while giving McGee $10 Mil+(that's what it would take to keep him)? I'm guessing we would have to amnesty Shard first. Ultimately it's all moot because Ted seems obsessed with building only through the draft because he struck gold with the Caps...

Wow I did not realize his #s this year were so good. Do we have enough cap room to max Love while giving McGee $10 Mil+(that's what it would take to keep him)? I'm guessing we would have to amnesty Shard first. Ultimately it's all moot because Ted seems obsessed with building only through the draft because he struck gold with the Caps...

I'm pretty sure we will, losing Rashard is about 22+ freed in cap space. We will be able to bring back both McGee and Love but probably lose Young which I'm ok with.

It's a major pipe dream but it would be nice. If the T-Wolves are too cheap to match a max offer, we could sign Love, resign McGee and probably draft Jeremy Lamb. That is an AWESOME lineup lol but probably realistic only in NBA 2k12.

He is absolutely worth a max contract, but I can't see Minnesota letting him go. They'll match any offer thats made. Only way to get him would be by trade.

I'd trade Blatche and our draft pick for Love. It speeds up the process of making this team good. Minny doesn't want to have to pay him do they can get the next big man in the draft am pay him a rookies price. Love doesn't want to wait for Rubio and Williams to turn into real players do he'd join Wall in year three. We'd be a player away.

How does Vesely help that right now? Does offer hope for scoring at the three or four long term? Doubt it. What's his ceiling realistically? What was the plan in drafting him? "Dammit, everyone else decent got taken before we could pick because we got ****ed by the lottery once again..."

I actually like Vesely a LOT. He'll probably never be a good #1 option offensively, but there's stuff he does that translate well - he's an excellent finisher, he could be a decent shooter if he works at it, passable ballhandling with a good first step for his size, and decent passing. He's not Dirk coming into the league, but he has good to great tools, outside post moves.

I agree Grunfeld has no plan and just drafted the most athletic guy on the board, but Vesely is actually a good prospect.

My dream scenario is we land Drummond while getting solid value for McGee. In particular, I want a veteran shooter like Martin for Javale McGee, as well as a decent shooting SF/SG behind Singleton and a veteran backup PG.

Imagine this lineup:

Drummond/Seraphin

Vesely/Booker

Singleton/veteran swingman

Martin/veteran backup swingman

Wall/vet backup PG

Or, assuming McGee keeps up his current numbers and we resign him

McGee/Seraphin

Vesely/Booker

Singleton/veteran swingman

draft pick/swingman

Wall/backup PG

Edited by The Robert Griffin Experience

I actually like Vesely a LOT. He'll probably never be a good #1 option offensively, but there's stuff he does that translate well - he's an excellent finisher, he could be a decent shooter if he works at it, passable ballhandling with a good first step for his size, and decent passing. He's not Dirk coming into the league, but he has good to great tools, outside post moves.

I really hope Vesely establishes a role in the future of this team because he can very well be a 6th man from Hell (at 3 and at 4) if his ability to finish holds true in the NBA.

Seraphin seems to lack size at the 5 but I'm not condemning him. He plays hard despite getting caught sleeping too much. It's the lack of experience there, not lack of effort.