Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

How is it possible that we didn't know Ernie had an extra year on his contract?

How is it possible that we STILL don't know WTF Newman's eyepatch was all about?

Once again, I refer everyone to that twitter NBA fandom map from a while back. There are only two counties in America that give much of a **** about the Wizards: Fairfax and Montgomery. This franchise exists in anonymity. Tiny fan base and non-existent media coverage. GACOLB is right, the team is irrelevant.

Trying to think of the NFL equivalent. I suspect the Wiz have had too much success to be the Wiz, but not enough notoriety or glory to be the Raiders. I think the Bullets are probably the Bucs or maybe the Chiefs.

We all are appreciative of the effort and contributions of Randy Wittman. He took over the Wizards coaching reigns at a difficult time and immediately earned the respect of our players. Randy twice guided us to the second round of the NBA playoffs, but we had a disappointing season and felt a coaching change was necessary. Ernie Grunfeld immediately will begin the search for a replacement. 

I wish Randy and his family the best and always will remember his professional, hardworking and honest approach. Thank you Coach Wittman.

That's it. Not a single dollar more spent on Ted's NBA team until he cleans house in the front office.

• Like 1

Trying to think of the NFL equivalent. I suspect the Wiz have had too much success to be the Wiz, but not enough notoriety or glory to be the Raiders. I think the Bullets are probably the Bucs or maybe the Chiefs.

Bucs sounds about right. Chiefs have too strong of a fanbase for the Wizards. Although their successions of playoffs gut punch losses feels Wizards-esque.

-----

BTW I just want to take a quick moment to appreciate Nene's game last night. He was oddly dominant in what will almost certainly be his last game as a Wizard, if not his last game period. Nice way to end it here.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

Todd DybasVerified account

‏@Todd_Dybas

Press conference with Grunfeld at noon. In a statement, he cited inconsistency and failure to win at home as reasons for Wittman's firing.

Wish we had someone in the local media/press w/ the guts to take Ernie to task.  So sad that a city that's as basketball crazy as it is, treats it's GM, who's beyond inept, with kid gloves.  Enough is enough.  SMH. 

Amid the doom and gloom, I'd just like to say that with an upgrade at the coaching position and a couple solid FA signings...we could easily be a 50+ win team next year. Hell, if we could've gotten anything outta Beal/Anderson we might've pushed for 50 this year.

1978-79.  Like I've been saying since then, I'll believe it when I see it.  I don't want to be just a 50 win team, I want to compete with the elite for titles.

Yeah, we're on the verge of hitting 50 wins ya'll. So close!!! 

- Every Wizards fan for the last two decades

Took the words right out of my mouth. 

Edited by pjfootballer

Wish we had someone in the local media/press w/ the guts to take Ernie to task.  So sad that a city that's as basketball crazy as it is, treats it's GM, who's beyond inept, with kid gloves.  Enough is enough.  SMH. 

How awesome would it be to have a reporter say "Please explain to the fans why you still have a job as the Wizard's GM"

BTW I just want to take a quick moment to appreciate Nene's game last night. He was oddly dominant in what will almost certainly be his last game as a Wizard, if not his last game period. Nice way to end it here.

Im 100% for resigning Nene. Have been all season, still all for it. He is much better than the credit hes given. With Hickson backing both Marcin and Nene, I feel pretty comfortable.

Of course I would ship Marcin and Beal both out today if it meant getting Cousins.

I'm cool on Nene. I get all the good things he does, but even reducing his minutes to 15-20 a game, he still misses 20-30 games. You gotta be available. And he'll be 34 next year. If he'll come back for extra cheap, then fine.

Edited by justice98

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2016/4/14/11431794/ernie-grunfeld-washington-wizards-press-conference-randy-wittman-firing

On not having a draft pick this season

We look at Markieff as being our draft pick. I don't think we were going to get a player at where we were going to be drafting that can do the kind of things that he can do and be on the contract for three years like that and still be young, but proven. So we feel really good about that situation as far as Markieff is concerned, compared to a draft pick.

The draft nowadays you're drafting a freshman or sophomore and you have to develop them and those are not the kind of players, in most cases, who can come in and contribute to a playoff-caliber team and we feel like we're a playoff-caliber team and that's what we want to get back to and we have a lot of pieces in place already.

Like I said, we have some flexibility where we can add more pieces to what we already have.

not valuing the draft because he sucks at it should be a fireable offense by itself

• Like 2