Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Golden state was a 51-win team prior to bringing in Kerr. Not only that, but they were a 47-win team the year prior. That's better than anything we have had in DC in how long? The notion that Kerr came in and magically made this team what they are is discrediting both mark jackson and the individual efforts of curry/Thompson/green.

Hearing Wiz will push to keep assistant David Adkins. Yes, KD’s asst HS coach. But also did good work this year w/first-rounder Kelly Oubre.

how is this in anyway verifiable?

As for the hire itself, Brooks may or may not work out, but the process to get him ****ing sucks. Once again, Ted & Grunfeld show not an ounce of creativity. God forbid he actually do a thorough interview process to give anybody else a chance of impressing them. Its like they stick to a plan just for the sake of saying they had a plan and stuck to it.

Edited by StillUnknown

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wizards-insider/wp/2016/04/22/jared-dudley-can-see-himself-back-with-the-wizards-but-wants-a-three-year-deal/

Jared Dudley can see himself back with the Wizards but wants a three-year deal

“Going forward, I could definitely see me coming back. As I told some other reporters, I’m never anybody’s first or second or third option, I’m your fourth option. So if you don’t get your girlfriend you want right away, I’m the one at the end. For me, it’s no problem. You know what I can do in this system. When I play, I play the right way.”

:lol:

Really depends on how much he wants per year. If the market is competitive, then I'd probably have to let him walk. But I would prefer to keep him. He and Sessions are the two vets that I wanted to come back. But all of the gossip that's been reported since the end of the season makes it sound like Sessions was a sore point for the locker room because Randy wouldn't hold him accountable, similar to Nene.

It would be a shame to lose a good back up PG over something silly like that. If we let him walk, we need to find a quality replacement.

I want to know more about this supposed discontent in the locker room caused by the lack of accountability of Nene and Sessions. That was a grenade that the WaPo guys lobbed without fully exploring IMO. I also read that the locker room didn't like Gary Neal. There were some definite chemistry issues with this team.

I guess I'm just surprised by the insinuation that Sessions wasn't liked, considering he has a reputation of being a good guy. But his career history is surprisingly mercenary for a player as good as he is. And it does worry me a little that Wall singled out Dudley, Anderson, and Temple and didn't mention Sessions, despite the fact Sessions was obviously our best and most important bench player last season.

So my stance is that, if the rest of the locker room doesn't like Sessions and he's a source of conflict, then he shouldn't be brought back and we need to make finding another good back up PG one of our top two or three FA priorities. But if he's not a chemistry problem, then we should keep him.

What article said Sessions wasn't liked? The one I read basically said that Sessions begged Randy to hold him accountable for his **** ups (because he is a good guy) and Randy wouldn't do it. That folks problem was with Randy not Sessions. Did something more come out?

Oh yeah you're right. I just looked at it again and saw that part you mention: http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/basketball-washington-wizards/talk/morning-tip-wizards-next-coach-cant-play-favorites-vets

I am very curious as to what the locker room thinks of Sessions. It would be nice to keep him and not have to hop back on the back up PG carousel.

I would have enjoyed being a fly on the wall when Beal and Nene got into it after the Portland game.

Beal has some balls. I don't think anyone else wanted to **** with Nene. Even Randy was scared of him. Beal's got a few screws loose, specifically the ones that induce the instinct for self preservation. First noticed it when he was a rookie playing in a game against Atlanta. Josh Smith was set up in front of the basket and Beal drove to the rim and tried to throw down hard on Smith and got clobbered. I remember being struck by the recklessness of the play. Double-edged sword. It's frustrating how Beal gets hurt so often, but the fearlessness and combatitiveness that cause all of those hard contacts and falls also cause him to get dialed in and go into take over mode in big games. He gets better when he's mad.

I think I'm more excited to see what Scott Brooks can do with Beal next season than anything else. If Beal makes the leap to being a legit All Star, then we'll finally break that 50 win glass ceiling. If he doesn't, then we'll probably be the same 45 win team we were the previous two seasons.

• Like 1

Mike Brown also went to the finals. In the NBA you always have to be wary of coaches that just won a lot of games because they had great players.

That's just about every winning coach. Nobody's winning with bad players.

Sessions > Dudley

No way. Dudley was an unsung contributor last year. I hope he comes back.

Edited by justice98
  • Like 1

Golden state was a 51-win team prior to bringing in Kerr. Not only that, but they were a 47-win team the year prior. That's better than anything we have had in DC in how long? The notion that Kerr came in and magically made this team what they are is discrediting both mark jackson and the individual efforts of curry/Thompson/green.

Yeah, but there's a lot of real estate between 51 and 67 (and a title) and 73 (and probably another one). That's not just a natural evolution to assume Mark Jackson would've done that.

You're making the assumption this is only about KD.

If you believe various reports, the Wiz actually think Brooks can develop the young players on this team.

It is all about KD. But the Wiz have to not make it sound like it's all about KD.

I dont mind if Durant isnt coming here. It was always a pipe dream. With him coming here we would have to make some big roster moves that would leave us with a weak bench. Im not sure how Otto, Durant, and Oubre would coexist money-wise as Im sure Otto is going to get some great offers next offseason.

But if you have the hand, you gotta go all in. Durant is a top 3 player in the league. Those are issues that you should be happy to figure out. A core of Wall, Beal, Otto, Durant, Morris, and perhaps Oubre is a Finals contender.

We develop our other two shooting forwards and put the money towards a real backup plan to Beal and Gortat?

We have no draft picks and nobody worth a damn wants to come here. I mean at this point they might as well start entertaining trades for Wall because he's going to bolt the moment his deal is up. He's being completely wasted here.

Well if we dont get KD we have Wall/Beal/Porter/Morris/Gortat/Oubre and Cap space.... honestly not that bad of situation especially with a coach that I think is competent and knows what he is doing.

It's a bad situation when your GM gives draft picks away like candy. Not to mention he loves signing and trading for injured players. I don't understand how we're supposed to get better? The only real talent we could add this off-season is Satoransky and he doesn't want to play here either lol.

It's going to take a real charismatic salesman of an executive to lure Durant here. Someone like...Bruce Allen. Say what you will about him but the guy knows how to sell. Soon as D Jax gets cut, he lures him here. Ditto Josh Norman. Grunfeld just seems like the type of guy that would put someone to sleep in a sales pitch.

• Like 1

It's going to take a real charismatic salesman of an executive to lure Durant here. Someone like...Bruce Allen. Say what you will about him but the guy knows how to sell. Soon as D Jax gets cut, he lures him here. Ditto Josh Norman. Grunfeld just seems like the type of guy that would put someone to sleep in a sales pitch.

IF KD is going to be lured here it's going to primarily be Ted making the pitch.

Click to read the rest

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wizards-insider/wp/2016/04/23/john-wall-says-wizards-didnt-hire-scott-brooks-to-lure-kevin-durant/

John Wall says Wizards didn’t hire Scott Brooks to lure Kevin Durant

John Wall doesn’t yet have a personal relationship with Scott Brooks, but he was in favor of theWashington Wizards hiring Brooks as their next coach from the outset based on what he had heard about the former Oklahoma City Thunder head man.

Wall works with the same trainer as Thunder point guard Russell Westbrook, who played seven seasons under Brooks, and the trainer reported only positives about Brooks. The Wizards’ three-time all-star was told Brooks was a players’ coach who also held players accountable, a difficult balance in today’s NBA. Wall said he was “very excited” when he heard Thursday that Brooks would be replacing Randy Wittman for the sum of $35 million over five years.

Wall believes a coaching change was required after a disappointing 41-41 campaign and that Brooks is the right fit for the franchise. And he wants to make one thing clear: Brooks is coming to Washington, first and foremost, to coach the Wizards. Not to lure Kevin Durant.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH