Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I'm always amused by the lackluster fanbase for the Wizards. We should know because before 2012 the Nationals and Redskins was pretty bad. But there were still people in the stands! There were still fans! All teams go through rough patches. The support should be there for the Wizards but instead we shun and boycott them because "Hurr durr Wittman hurr durr EG hurr durr I'm done with this team"

It's highly conceivable this team makes the playoffs next year with a new coach. So all this boycotting and anger and rage is way over the top. PEople acting like this franchise has no future smh

It's not that. It's because we are tired of the crappy product on the court, paying these high prices and the owner doesn't care. He talks a good game, but is really only focused on the Caps. How many times do you have to let him mess up before thinking Ernie is not the problem? It's crazy, how cheap and clueless Ted is. Just about any other job and Ernie would have been replaced by now with the mistakes he's made and the lack of progress from the team. I blame the owner for not wanting to make change. Sickening for us fans. Edited by ksun247
  • Like 1

Yeah I don't agree with keeping EG, but I'm not going to boycott the team. I'll still watch and go to games. Because I'm a a fan. Just like it was ridiculous when Redskins "fans" were turning in their fans card a few years back. I bet they were all watching and cheering last season.

Edited by GOSKINS_08

Yeah I don't agree with keeping EG, but I'm not going to boycott the team. I'll still watch and go to games. Because I'm a a fan. Just like it was ridiculous when Redskins "fans" were turning in their fans card a few years back. I bet they were all watching and cheering last season.

Hey, its your money, how you spend it is up to you.

But the biggest reason Dan got rid of Vinny was because of the IMMENSE fan outcry. So you can say its ridiculous, but it DOES work.

• Like 1

Hey, its your money, how you spend it is up to you.

But the biggest reason Dan got rid of Vinny was because of the IMMENSE fan outcry. So you can say its ridiculous, but it DOES work.

I'm not sure that's the only reason but we'll disagree on that. If people don't want to go to games in a way to protest I have no problem with that. I just feel like it's goofy when people say they won't watch or care anymore. Because I doubt that. If we win 50 games next season and get to the 2nd round or East Finals these same people will be in this thread cheering and ****ing at bad calls. We're all frustrated at this season and the decision to keep EG, but we're fans for a reason. Through the good and bad. Unfortunately for many of us the bad has been what we're use to with our sports teams however.

Well the thing is I understand there's been a system of mediocrity and EG isn't exactly perfect but the parallels between this and the Redskins or any other team that does poorly in this area are too large to ignore. Especially the Redskins. Guys, the Redskins were so bad and were the laughingstock of the league, hiring a bingo caller, having Cerrato around, having Bruce mess drafts up, constantly underachieving, cycling coach after coach. And we knew it was bad but we stuck through it. So I fail to see why the same can't be applied here. No one said "I'm going to quit being a fan unless Shanahan / Cerrato / Zorn is fired." If they did they're back now  :lol:

The difference is the fans revolted against Cerrato. They had had enough and Snyder, for all his shortcomings, heard their cry. Ted hears it and ignores it. He doesn't care. He knows Ernie can't build a winner. It's not like he's oblivious to Ernies awful draft history.

I'm a fan of the Wizards and I've had enough. This isn't okay and it's an absolute slap in the face to those of use who waste our time watching and hoping. We have a premier PG in his prime being wasted while Ernie fumbles and bumbles picks that he either sells (Jordan Clarkson) or wastes on euro ballers who either suck or simply decide they don't want to come here. Garrett Temple should not be starting or getting 40 minutes a game but here he is, given the star treatment by Randy all season. It's absurd and it's embarrassing. Ted doesn't deserve a loyal fanbase if he doesn't care about them. Sell the team if you only care about the Caps.

• Like 1

It's impossible to know if Snyder or any owner has ever made a decision based on a "fan revolt" unless you are part of the circle with access to that kind of information.  If we boil it down to the basics of business however, it's likely that it impacts decision making.  Any business owner large or small that sees his customer base in the news openly upset is unlikely to take the Vatican approach and assume they are righteous and that everyone will see that in time.  It has to reach a point large enough that it forces management to notice and that it shows up in their numbers somewhere.   

It's impossible to know if Snyder or any owner has ever made a decision based on a "fan revolt" unless you are part of the circle with access to that kind of information. If we boil it down to the basics of business however, it's likely that it impacts decision making. Any business owner large or small that sees his customer base in the news openly upset is unlikely to take the Vatican approach and assume they are righteous and that everyone will see that in time. It has to reach a point large enough that it forces management to notice and that it shows up in their numbers somewhere.

Snyder certainly did Dest. He was in danger of losing the fanbase and he knew it. And the major difference between Ted and Dan is Snyder is a real fan. He genuinely loves his football team and wants to win. He just sucked at doing it.

Can Washington complete a deal with Scotty Brooks before Houston's season ends? Sources say the Rockets are optimistic that Brooks will wait

Not sure to be happy about possibly losing out on Brooks, or scared of who a desperate Ernie will hire? Haven't even seen Blatt's name mentioned in all these coaching hiring rumors. He's the easy hire imo.

I'm always amused by the lackluster fanbase for the Wizards. We should know because before 2012 the Nationals and Redskins was pretty bad. But there were still people in the stands! There were still fans! All teams go through rough patches. The support should be there for the Wizards but instead we shun and boycott them because "Hurr durr Wittman hurr durr EG hurr durr I'm done with this team"

It's highly conceivable this team makes the playoffs next year with a new coach. So all this boycotting and anger and rage is way over the top. PEople acting like this franchise has no future smh

Why should the support be there for a franchise that hasn't won more than 46 games in 40(!) years? Just because? This isn't a rough patch, this is standard operating procedure. A rough patch implies this is atypical.

History says it's more likely this team continues to be mediocre no matter what they do.

Edited by justice98
  • Like 1

Scott Brooks is being hired to lure Durant.  They aren't out there scouring the world for the best possible choice, not that Ernie ever would, but everything he's done for the last two season has been with singular goal in mind.  They think hiring his old coach gives them an edge. 

Hiring a coach specifically to get a particular player is nonsense. I can't believe they seem serious about this. And then when they don't get Durant, they're still stuck with Brooks.

As Windhorst said. Ernie has one year left on his deal. Makes him a weak GM(whatever). Would he hire a coach who is stronger or weaker than him with the owner? I'd argue it's one of the worst openings in the NBA.

I have a feeling Ted is letting Ernie ride out his deal and next year Ernie retires or walks on his own if he still wants to be a GM. Assuming they don't land Durant or otherwise turn this operation into a 50+ win team this offseason.

I dont think Brooks is all that bad. Years back i blamed OKC's futility on his style of coaching, but am backtracking furiously while watching Westbrook and Durant do the exact same thing under Donovan. I would much rather have him than Hornacek, thats for sure. I dont particularly think he's being signed to lure Durant, but he would be yet another connection in our growing network of KD affiliates. It cant hurt.

This league is run by the top 5-8 players (see Boston/Toronto/Detroit in playoffs) We would be stupid not to try everything in our power to grab one of them.

• Like 2

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--wizards-offer-head-coaching-job-to-scott-brooks-213807080.html

Sources: Wizards offer head-coaching job to Scott Brooks

Washington Wizards general manager Ernie Grunfeld met with Scott Brooks on Wednesday in Southern California, offering him the franchise’s head-coaching job, league sources told The Vertical.

Brooks has been enthusiastic about reaching an agreement with the Wizards and could complete negotiations on a contract that will pay him in the range of $7 million a season, league sources told The Vertical.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

I dont think Brooks is all that bad. Years back i blamed OKC's futility on his style of coaching, but am backtracking furiously while watching Westbrook and Durant do the exact same thing under Donovan. I would much rather have him than Hornacek, thats for sure. I dont particularly think he's being signed to lure Durant, but he would be yet another connection in our growing network of KD affiliates. It cant hurt.

What's the deal with Hornacek? Asked about him on here a couple of months ago and got nothing. All i seem to remember on him in Phoenix was that people thought he got a raw deal there.

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/basketball-washington-wizards/talk/so-many-capable-coaches-market-why-scott-brooks

With so many capable coaches on market, why Scott Brooks?

It didn't take long for the Wizards to identify coach Randy Wittman's replacement, whoCSNmidatlantic.com identified as their No. 1 target after their final regular-season game in a 41-41 season. Long before they fired him April 13, the front office was certain the locker room needed a new leader and wanted it to be Scott Brooks, also regarded as a key chip in the chase for free-agent-to-be Kevin Durant.

Wizards president Ernie Grunfeld, who wasn't in his office Wednesday as he traveled out West to meet the ex-Oklahoma City Thunder coach, has had a laser-like focus to bring in Brooks.

In fact, CSN was told earlier in the day, agents who have tried to get their clients face-to-face meetings with the Wizards have been unsuccessful -- and some frustrated -- because they've locked in on Brooks from the outset.

The Wizards' criteria for their next coach was clear immediately, in conversations CSN had with persons with knowledge of the situation on the night Wittman was fired: Head-coaching experience and a track record of success, ability to connect with the locker room especially younger players such as John Wall and Bradley Beal and a selling point for Durant who will be come a free agent this summer.

Brooks has a career coaching record of 338-207, or 62%, and took the Thunder to the NBA Finals in 2012. In six full seasons as coach, Brooks never won fewer than 45 games.

Grunfeld is expected to be back in D.C. on Thursday. If there's no deal with Brooks in hand, the Wizards will have to go to Plan B which isn't clear at the moment. 

n the last few years, Grunfeld has been swift with how he approaches openings with players as he has settled on positions within the first few days of free agency. The coaching situation won't be any different.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH