Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

20 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

Brooklyn will offer him the max and they dont really have any pieces worth a trade

Yeah that's kind of the nightmare scenario.

I'd probably go ahead and just give him the max then. He's still young and improving. I don't think he'll ever be a STAR but he'll be a real good #3 option on a title team. He's already a quality 3 and D but if he can develop his handles and continue the more aggressive play when he has favorable matchups he could be a damn good player. And everyone's getting max deals nowadays so the $ isn't really a big issue.

The problem is bad contracts like Gortat and Mahimi sucking our ability to add another piece. We desperately need to retain Bogdanovic for bench scoring and add a legit backup PG. That and hope Satoranski and Oubre can continue to develop.

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-wizards/new-cba-rule-could-change-wizards-approach-nba-draft?utm_content=buffer2876b&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

NEW CBA RULE COULD CHANGE WIZARDS' APPROACH TO NBA DRAFT

The new collective bargaining rules that allow for two-way contracts for players with less than three years’ experience to go between the D-League and their NBA team create options for the Wizards who hold the No. 52 pick in this month’s draft.

Teams have been allowed to have a maximum of 15 players under contract but that has increased by two under the 2017 CBA. That means teams in general, including the Wizards, could be less likely to trade their second round picks -- or those picks will could more value if they do move them -- that usually need time to develop. 

Dez Wells, a guard from the University of Maryland who played briefly for the Wizards in summer league two years ago and with the Oklahoma City Thunder’s D-League team, has more incentive to stay stateside rather than going to play in Germany. Or if Maryland's Melo Trimble, who worked out for the Wizards last week, is acquired and needs time to develop there's more flexibility.

“It’s important for guys to not be tempted to go overseas,” Wizards coach Scott Brooks told CSNmidatlantic.com on Tuesday. “You can make a decent living, have a chance to be in front of us and be developed by us.”

In the past, if a player was sent from his parent NBA team to the D-League during the season – the Wizards shipped Sheldon Mac (formerly McClellan) to the Delaware 87ers on multiple occasions and Chris McCullough to the Northern Arizona Suns -- the team didn't gain an open roster spot. That player would still occupy a roster spot among the 15 and get paid their NBA salary while playing in the second division.

Two-way players earn higher salaries than D-League players without these gateway deals. But a two-way player only can be in NBA training camp and with the NBA team for a maximum of 45 days during the regular season. If he reaches the limit and they want his services beyond that, his contract has to be converted to a full NBA deal.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

If you could swap Porter for Melo straight up, would you do it?

No way.  Addition of Melo wouldn't get us over Cleveland nor GSW.  By the time our window opens, Melo would be too old.

I'd trade Porter and our 2018 1st if the Knicks want trade us Carmelo, their 2017 first, and take Mahini off our hands

Draft Markanen with that pick

Wall-Beal-Melo-Morris-Gortat, With Markanen and Oubre on the bench.

It would be a great scenario because not only is Markkanen an extremely talented big going forward and Melo a very legit 3rd piece for two year, but we also would be in a situation where Morris/Gortat/Melo would all come off the books at the same time, and you would be left with Wall, Beal, Markkanen, and perhaps Oubre with a lot of money to spend.

Forgot to tell y'all. I saw one of the Morris twins in the gym last night around 8pm. Was so hype I couldn't say anything but I put my fist out for a pound and his def hit is like I was his boi and it changed my life lls. 

He also said what's up big dog....and since he's more than a foot taller than me I figure I should take that as disrespect. But I let him get away with it since we are besties now. 

He looks way taller up close. Felt like a child. 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

Forgot to tell y'all. I saw one of the Morris twins in the gym last night around 8pm. Was so hype I couldn't say anything but I put my fist out for a pound and his def hit is like I was his boi and it changed my life lls. 

He also said what's up big dog....and since he's more than a foot taller than me I figure I should take that as disrespect. But I let him get away with it since we are besties now. 

He looks way taller up close. Felt like a child. 

Lol.  Do you know which Morris twin at least?

I actually like the Melo for Porter trade idea.  

7 hours ago, The Gibber said:

Lol.  Do you know which Morris twin at least?

I actually like the Melo for Porter trade idea.  

No idea. I assume it was Keef but it all happened so fast. 

6 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

6'10 is stupidly tall for normal people.

You ain't lying. I don't feel so bad I can't dunk anymore knowing my competition. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

6'10 is stupidly tall for normal people.

I'm 6'5" and that's tall for me. Lol

@Skins199021 that's a pretty good plan. Too good to happen, but my favorite part is getting rid of Mahinmi's salary.

I'm thinking the Wizards stand pat though. They're not going to do anything this year. We probably win 50 games and lose in the second round. That's par.

14 hours ago, Skins199021 said:

I'd trade Porter and our 2018 1st if the Knicks want trade us Carmelo, their 2017 first, and take Mahini off our hands

Draft Markanen with that pick

Wall-Beal-Melo-Morris-Gortat, With Markanen and Oubre on the bench.

It would be a great scenario because not only is Markkanen an extremely talented big going forward and Melo a very legit 3rd piece for two year, but we also would be in a situation where Morris/Gortat/Melo would all come off the books at the same time, and you would be left with Wall, Beal, Markkanen, and perhaps Oubre with a lot of money to spend.

I don't think the Wizards can trade their 2018 first rounder since they traded their 2017 pick

23 hours ago, Popeman38 said:

I don't even want Melo near the Wiz when the Knicks visit Verizon Center. He is a ball stopper who demands 30 shots a night. He would stagnate this offense and ruin chemistry. Not just no, but HELL NO. 

I thought so too, but he can also be an instant offensive generator and other then Beal we don't have that go to scorer(Wall is still more of a playmaker than anything else). Maybe Melo changes his ways as he's getting older and is now finally on a good team?

I think its something to think about it. But I'm not sure trading Porter for Melo makes us better than Cleveland either way.

Were definitely in a pickle...

Trading Porter for Melo would make us worse in both the short and long term.  Lauri Markkanen and a one or two year rental of Melo aren't enough to give up Porter.  

- If Melo doesn't exercise his ETO after the first year, you don't gain enough cap space from dumping Mahinmi to offer George/Cousins a max deal

- If Melo does exercise his ETO, then you got one year of play from a rapidly declining Melo and a late lotto big and a chance to sign George/Cousins

Either way it's not enough return for one of the best young SFs in the league.

If the main goal is to dump Mahinmi's salary for the 2018 summer, don't tie the move to losing Otto.

That would be a backbreakingly terrible trade.

• Like 2