Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

It occurs to me that John has never played with another All Star before.  But I think it might be even worse than that.  I don't think John has ever played with another guy who appeared in an AS game at any point in his career.

Is that true?  If so... Holy ****ing ****.  That's almost impossible.

I mean not even Andre Miller or Emeka Okafor made an AS game?  I seriously can't find a former teammate who made one.  Can anyone else?

I think it's just the first 32 games of his career with Gil.

1 minute ago, LLandryistheshiz said:

Paul pierce never an all star?

Completely blanked on him.  Good call.

That actually made me distressed.  I don't think there is a single current All Star player who has never played a full season with a teammate who was either a future or former All Star before.

Still... one season with a near washed up Paul Pierce is pathetic.  I think you can make the case that John has played with less surrounding talent over the course of his career than any other star player in the NBA.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Beal will be an All-Star this year but yeah it's still pretty ridiculous. It tells you just how good Wall is at making his teammates better.

FAs should want to come here and play with him, but its a shame we don't really have the money.

Yep.  He gets people paid.

I think Beal will make it this season too.  He was a hair away from making it this past season.  And subsequently we were a hair away from 50 wins despite a crap bench.  Two All Stars kind of gets you there even with a shaky supporting cast.

I think this past season with Beal was also the first time John's played with a 20 PPG scorer.  To have the best passing PG of his generation go seven years in his career before that happened is a tragedy.

On 6/9/2017 at 10:51 AM, Destino said:

Coaching and focus were major problems on defense.  Let's be clear, the Wizards were bad defensively.  They were not inconsistent but mostly good as we've seen in years past, but mostly bad.  Guys were clearly getting lost on defense, failing to get back in transition, and getting caught watching the ball. 

I'm hoping that much of this is just the first year with a new coach, the addition of Bogs (a bad defender in the best of circumstances) mid season, and poor health at PF/C.  Next year much of this might take care of itself simply by virtue of the guys getting more comfortable in their roles and getting healthy.  

Overall though, I'm not thrilled with what I saw from Scott Brooks in the playoffs.  

I thought he was outcoached in both series. Atlanta just didnt have the talent to overcome Wall's heroics

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

I thought he was outcoached in both series. Atlanta just didnt have the talent to overcome Wall's heroics

Game 7 defensive plan against Boston was something straight out of the Eddie Jordan playbook. 

Painful to see Gortat defending out on the perimeter.

25 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I don't understand how it's so hard to find a back up PG that can hit open elbow pull ups and threes AND run a basic half court offense.  Nevermind about his defense.  Do other teams have this much trouble solving their back up PG issues?

The problem is that our GM is a moron and it's made worse by having an offense designed around Wall.  There are very few back ups that can succeed when 3 players stand still and they are asked to create everything off a single high screen consistently.  Our odds of finding one are hindered by the fact that Ernie is in charge.  I'd post the list of back up point guards we've had in the Wall era but it's just too depressing to dive into.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I don't understand how it's so hard to find a back up PG that can hit open elbow pull ups and threes AND run a basic half court offense.  Nevermind about his defense.  Do other teams have this much trouble solving their back up PG issues?

I want them to go after Ty Lawson. I know he's had his issues, but he'd be a better PG than we've had in a long time, and it seems like this locker room has been good for former malcontents (i.e. Kieff Morris). 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

I'd take Sessions back in a heartbeat.  But we're good...Sato is gonna find his jumper this offseason and be THE MAN next year.

Sato should have been here years ago.  I guess he really wanted to wait for guaranteed money though.  Then again he might have wanted to avoid Wittman, who knows, but it's certainly set him back in his development.  Sato looked good defensively in his first year, but on offense he looked absolutely terrified.  All we can do is hope he finds his confidence in the offseason.   

We need to somehow trade Porter, Mahim a future first for Cousins, and Trade Gortat for something (he is productive and has a tradeable cotract). Sign Barton (shouldn't break the bank).

Wall-Beal-Barton-Morris-Cousins..... Start with Oubre on the bench and work it from there

We need something drastic or the Wall era will amount to nothing, so either we go all in to try and compete, or just dismantle the whole thing and look at competing in 5+ years when the Warriors are done with their run

Yup...not getting out of the east without a quasi super team.  Core of Wall/Beal/Porter ain't gonna do it.  Not trying to bring in Boogie pretty much signals that we're OK with wasting more of Wall's years here  in DC.  Some MAJOR changes need to be made before the start of next season. 

Figure out a way to dangle porter, some future picks,etc. to get it done. 

Edited by RonArtest15
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RonArtest15 said:

Yup...not getting out of the east without a quasi super team.  Core of Wall/Beal/Porter ain't gonna do it.  Not trying to bring in Boogie pretty much signals that we're OK with wasting more of Wall's years here  in DC.  Some MAJOR changes need to be made before the start of next season. 

Figure out a way to dangle porter, some future picks,etc. to get it done. 

People will say this would be reactionary or "freaking out" but that is just the reality of the situation right now.

And I will not entertain the idea that Porter is better than Cousins. Cousins is going to the HOF.... Porter is basically Trevor Ariza with more efficiency but worse defense. 

Basically we need to find a way to trade Gortat/Porter/Mahini for  a star player and to clear some cap to help the bench

47 minutes ago, Skins199021 said:

People will say this would be reactionary or "freaking out" but that is just the reality of the situation right now.

And I will not entertain the idea that Porter is better than Cousins. Cousins is going to the HOF.... Porter is basically Trevor Ariza with more efficiency but worse defense. 

Basically we need to find a way to trade Gortat/Porter/Mahini for  a star player and to clear some cap to help the bench

Wizards need a LEGIT star to compliment Wall/Beal.  Time is running short with Wall here in DC.  I'd much rather swing for the fences now, show him we're serious about competing to get out of the East, and let him be at peace with signing here long-term.  We keep things status-quo, he'll be that much closer to bolting town when he's a FA. 

• Like 1