Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I'm also a big fan in zigging when everyone else zags. Cleveland is going to be the top dog in the east for a while. Are you really going to be able to top Lebron and Irving on the perimeter? Hell, can the Wizards top Lowry and DeRozan? And they certainly aren't going to keep up with the teams in the West.

I egg on the Wizards a lot but come on. They have already topped Lowry and DeRozan. 

I think the fundamental question is are Wall and Beal good enough to be your two top players?

It seems like an easy "no" but it's a distant projection. I think it can be hard to appreciate just how long it takes to make a homegrown contender where you drafted and developed your stars on your own. It's like a 10 year proposition.

Wall and Beal aren't really competing with LeBron or Kyle Lowry and Derozan. They're competing against the teams led by the best players who are the same age as them. i.e. Paul George, DeMarcus Cousins, Kyrie Irving, Kawhi Leonard, Anthony Davis, Damian Lillard, and Andre Drummond. So the answer isn't so obviously no.

I honestly see us being a pretty damn good team if we are able to sign Horford somehow

Wall/Beal/Porter/Horford/Gortat with Morris/Oubre starting the bench

Is a pretty damn good lineup. People underrate Beal so bad here. He was better this year than Derozan was at his age 22 season, and Beal will always be a better 3 point shot than Derozan. Just need Beal to stay healthy and play about 30-34 minutes per game.

What better SGs are there? Harden, Derozan, Wade, Thompson, McCollum, and Butler Is there anyone else? He is younger than everyone listed there.

I dunno if we underrate Beal. We are just terrified of another possible injury that would derail the season, again. A possibility that is all too real. But its all moot now, he's going nowhere. I would be absolutely shocked if we did anything that would shake the pillars. So, ill just pine my hopes on Otto making the leap.

Beal has the skill and the athleticism to be an All Star. The problem is he spends half his season injured and then slumping while he recovers from said injury. So we only get 30 or 40 games where he's truly playing up to his ability level.

When he's healthy he's a killer though. We saw that player in the playoffs the previous two years.

He needs to get past these stress reactions in his fibulas.

• Like 1

It seems like an easy "no" but it's a distant projection. I think it can be hard to appreciate just how long it takes to make a homegrown contender where you drafted and developed your stars on your own. It's like a 10 year proposition.

Wall and Beal aren't really competing with LeBron or Kyle Lowry and Derozan. They're competing against the teams led by the best players who are the same age as them. i.e. Paul George, DeMarcus Cousins, Kyrie Irving, Kawhi Leonard, Anthony Davis, Damian Lillard, and Andre Drummond. So the answer isn't so obviously no.

Curry and Durant are only two years older than Wall, and he's not going to age as well as either one of them because he can't shoot like them. Klay is the same age as Wall.

Wall is in his prime now and his game is his speed.  The best year of his career might have been 2 years ago (it also might be next year).

But it isn't going to be 2018-19 season (unless he really learns to shoot, which seems very unlikely).

And I don't think Beal in his prime is going to surpass Wall in his.  If Beal were going to be the better player, you could see them winning a championship with Beal taking the lead and a declining Wall being an important contributor.

But I don't think Beal is going to be that good, if he's healthy.

Edited by PeterMP

There's no way we would get fair value for Wall in a trade.  I can't believe we're talking about draft picks as bad as the draft has been lately and as bad as we've been at drafting players that aren't high lottery picks.  I believe you when you say you don't follow the Wizards if you think that's a good idea.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

Curry and Durant are only two years older than Wall, and he's not going to age as well as either one of them because he can't shoot like them. Klay is the same age as Wall.

Wall is in his prime now and his game is his speed.  The best year of his career might have been 2 years ago (it also might be next year).

But it isn't going to be 2018-19 season (unless he really learns to shoot, which seems very unlikely).

And I don't think Beal in his prime is going to surpass Wall in his.  If Beal were going to be the better player, you could see them winning a championship with Beal taking the lead and a declining Wall being an important contributor.

But I don't think Beal is going to be that good, if he's healthy.

Wall is a skilled player with a very expansive game, not just a transition player and a slasher. He'll age well because he has elite court vision, a mid range game, and the foundation of a terrific post game. I wouldn't be so sure that Durant and Curry will age better than him either given their history of foot, knee, and ankle injuries. Plus both have played a ****load more minutes than Wall, especially Durant.

But the real difference in window comes from the fact that Beal is entering his 23 year old season and by the time he is 27, Wall will be 29, and Curry and Thompson will be 32 and 30, and Durant and Westbrook will be 32 and 31. And Porter will only be 27 too, an important factor in the team's construction. The Wizards's core pieces are meaningfully younger.

Porter is a ghost... disappearing act is getting old. Porter is a ghost... disappearing act is getting old.

Want to see what he does with a new coach. When he was cutting and focused on getting open he was good... so naturally Randy told him to stop that and stand on a spot behind the three line instead, which failed. I'm not going to miss Wittman.

• Like 1

There's no way we would get fair value for Wall in a trade.  I can't believe we're talking about draft picks as bad as the draft has been lately and as bad as we've been at drafting players that aren't high lottery picks.  I believe you when you say you don't follow the Wizards if you think that's a good idea.

I'm going on a trip, and I've got a bunch of fruit in my house.  I sort through it and decide some will keep until I get back.  Some can travel okay so I pack it up to take.

Others won't keep and won't travel so I eat it until I'm stuffed of fruit and don't feel well from eating so much fruit.  In the end, I have one perfectly ripe banana left.  In one day, it'll start to spoil.  I know perfectly ripe bananas don't travel well because they bruise easily, and there is no way it'll be good by the time I get back.

I walk around to my neighbors and offer to sell it to them.  The best off I get is a nickle.  I know that's not really fair market value because the grocery store charges more for bananas.

What should I do?

Wall is a skilled player with a very expansive game, not just a transition player and a slasher. He'll age well because he has elite court vision, a mid range game, and the foundation of a terrific post game. I wouldn't be so sure that Durant and Curry will age better than him either given their history of foot, knee, and ankle injuries. Plus both have played a ****load more minutes than Wall, especially Durant.

But the real difference in window comes from the fact that Beal is entering his 23 year old season and by the time he is 27, Wall will be 29, and Curry and Thompson will be 32 and 30, and Durant and Westbrook will be 32 and 31. And Porter will only be 27 too, an important factor in the team's construction. The Wizards's core pieces are meaningfully younger.

Wall has had surgery to both knees so I don't see how you can say his injury situation is more stable than Durant's or Curry's.

Other than that this is one of those things where we'll see.

I think under estimate Wall aging and/or the likely abilities/utility of Porter and Beal.

Edited by PeterMP

I'm going on a trip, and I've got a bunch of fruit in my house. I sort through it and decide some will keep until I get back. Some can travel okay so I pack it up to take.

Others won't keep and won't travel so I eat it until I'm stuffed of fruit and don't feel well from eating so much fruit. In the end, I have one perfectly ripe banana left. In one day, it'll start to spoil. I know perfectly ripe bananas don't travel well because they bruise easily, and there is no way it'll be good by the time I get back.

I walk around to my neighbors and offer to sell it to them. The best off I get is a nickle. I know that's not really fair market value because the grocery store charges more for bananas.

What should I do?

Stop comparing the Wizards problems to pieces of fruit and your travel schedule would be a good start.

• Like 2

I've talked myself into Whiteside, which means there's no chance we get him

After reading this article, I want him here too...

Hassan Whiteside’s NBA Journey

It's a FANTASTIC article, written by one of the best in the business, Jonathan Abrams.  Totally worth the read. 

He should be option 1 at this point.  Move Gortat (obviously), and bring in more quality depth to help the bench. 

Predicting where the top NBA Free Agents Sign

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/predicting-where-the-top-nba-free-agents-will-sign/ar-AAhJMjW?li=BBgET5V&ocid=spartanntp#page=7

7. Nicolas Batum

© Bob Leverone/AP Photo Charlotte Hornets' Nicolas Batum (5) prepares to dunk as he beats a host of Washington Wizards to the basket on Feb. 6 in Charlotte. Hornets won 108-104. After a breakout season in Charlotte, former Hornets forward Nicolas Batum now finds himself as a hot commodity. Outside of Kevin Durant, Batum is next best small forward on the open market and will have no shortage of contract offers.

The Hornets would love to re-sign the French-born wing player, but the general feeling across the NBA is that Batum will leave Charlotte. The Rockets, Wizards, Knicks, Lakers and Warriors are in the running for Batum, and it’s hard to say if any of those teams can be called a favorite to sign the 27-year-old. The Wizards, who are desperate for a new forward, seem the most likely to offer Batum a max contract, but if the Warriors miss out on Kevin Durant, a cross-country move to the Bay Area would seem plausible. Much will change in the coming days, but for now, we’ll just follow the money.

PREDICTION: Nicolas Batum signs with the Wizards for the max.

I know perfectly ripe bananas don't travel well because they bruise easily, and there is no way it'll be good by the time I get back.

Personally, I prefer my bananas bruised. Just like my women.

Again, dealing Wall is stupid. It literally makes no sense whatsoever to get rid of John Wall. None. Enough with this already.

Trade Wall to the Capitals for Ovie... Super Bowl. Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff

Predicting where the top NBA Free Agents Sign

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/predicting-where-the-top-nba-free-agents-will-sign/ar-AAhJMjW?li=BBgET5V&ocid=spartanntp#page=7

7. Nicolas Batum

PREDICTION: Nicolas Batum signs with the Wizards for the max.

Aren't the Wiz pretty good with small forward with Porter and Oubre? Isn't it the other forward we need. I don't think that Porter or Oubre are big enough to play the other position?

Yeah they are set with young talent at the position. They'll be looking for an inexpensive vet back up now that they're out of the running for Durant.

But even if they weren't set, I don't see them giving a max contract to the likes of Nic Batum. Ted is too cheap for that level of fiscal recklessness..