Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

The difference being that Cleveland got rid of the GM and anyone else that wouldnt bow before the king. We incredulously allow Ernie to still call the shots.

It's hard to call a franchise that just won a championship dysfunctional still, but you can definitely make the argument.

Edited by Renegade7

I don't blame the players if they are frustrated with fans. The fan base is tiny and disengaged and the Lakers enjoy more support in the region. John Wall got loudly booed at the FT line in the Verizon Center on two separate occasions, an utter disgrace. And the few fans that are actually engaged are deeply caught in a grass is greener mentality that leads to turning on our players at the drop of a hat.

Look at the difference in the way Redskins fans and Wizards fans behave. One 9 win season and suddenly the whole fan base is chugging kool-aid and is convinced the team is a season or two away from the Superbowl. Meanwhile the Wizards putter along around .500 and every fan has traded every single one of our players for some crap return at least several times in our minds. The region just simply does not support the team the way it does for our other ones. And the only way it's going to change is if they start winning every single year for a long time.

106.7 The Fan @1067theFan 1h1 hour ago

“There’s not a single player in that #Wizards locker room" that hasn't complained about the fans. - @JMichaelCSN

Oh... so its our fault that the FO failed miserably at their jobs now. Lol! **** this guy. He's just as much of a problem as Ernie is. Give us a real sports media that actually provides insight about the ongoings of the team, not a mouthpiece that does nothing but spew agenda drivel from the top while providing nothing in the vein of what we as the fans want to know.

• Like 1

The difference is the sports. The Redskins get lucky and jump from 9 wins to 11 wins. If the East totally sucks next year, maybe you get to 12. In either instance, that could be a first round bye. Win two games from there and you are in the Super Bowl. The NFL gives everyone hope at all times.

Here is the NBA: Is Lebron in the East? If yes, no other eastern team has a realistic path to the Finals.

The NBA's genius is that it can still be entertaining even when 22 teams are utterly devoid of hope.

The Wizards' issue is that it's one of those teams that is seemingly ALWAYS in the hopeless category.

Dear Players,

It's been almost 40 years since you've won a title. Please get past the second ****ing round for once and maybe we'll be nicer.

Signed,

Your Fans.

How about they haven't won more than 46 games since '78. And if I had to bet money, I'd bet they'll find a way to not win more than 46 next year.

I'd wish he would go into specifics about their complaints. They can't possibly think we're spoiled or somethin.

Season ticket holder here, and Wizards "fans" are crap.

The other team gets bigger ovation than our own guys ....and yeah, if you've watched some postgame interviews, Wiz players notice it.

The Wizards' issue is that it's one of those teams that is seemingly ALWAYS in the hopeless category.

I do think the nature of the sport plays a big factor since 16 games leaves room for doubt which can lead to runaway optimism, whereas 82 games bitterly drives home reality. But I also don't know if parity can explain why Redskins fans are delusional and Wizards fans are so cynical. Let's be honest, the Redskins have been just as far from a championship the past 25 years as the Wizards. But the difference in the size of the fan bases is key. The Redskins fan base is huge while the Wizards barely enjoy any support outside Fairfax and Montgomery counties. When you have so many fans, you're basically a regional institution. Thus there is a lot more self-reinforcing pride going on. Meanwhile the only people following the Wizards are bitter die-hards who ruthlessly crush any hint of homerism on the internet. We are the voice of the fan base.

I think the only way that the Wizards improve their fan support is by literally increasing the number of fans of the team. And the only way that is going to happen is for them to have successful playoff seasons consecutively for a long time and without backsliding into the dumpster again.

• Like 2

I do think the nature of the sport plays a big factor since 16 games leaves room for doubt which can lead to runaway optimism, whereas 82 games bitterly drives home reality. But I also don't know if parity can explain why Redskins fans are delusional and Wizards fans are so cynical. Let's be honest, the Redskins have been just as far from a championship the past 25 years as the Wizards. But the difference in the size of the fan bases is key. The Redskins fan base is huge while the Wizards barely enjoy any support outside Fairfax and Montgomery counties. When you have so many fans, you're basically a regional institution. Thus there is a lot more self-reinforcing pride going on. Meanwhile the only people following the Wizards are bitter die-hards who ruthlessly crush any hint of homerism on the internet. We are the voice of the fan base.

I think the only way that the Wizards improve their fan support is by literally increasing the number of fans of the team. And the only way that is going to happen is for them to have successful playoff seasons consecutively for a long time and without backsliding into the dumpster again.

The Redskins have been here for generations, they are more ingrained. They've also won more recently (granted neither have won consistently in a quarter century). 

The Wizards also lack a true superstar in terms of visibility. Wall is a great player, a probably top 5 point guard when he's motivated and decides to be the force on defense we know he can, but for example, there's another guy at Verizon that is a 3x MVP. Even when the Capitals sucked from 2005-2007, there was still that excitement in the building knowing you had one of THE best players in the world on your team as opposed to just an All-Star. That helps when you have no hope for team successes.

I don't see anything changing until Grunfeld leaves and we build a consistent winner.

• Like 1

Season ticket holder here, and Wizards "fans" are crap.

The other team gets bigger ovation than our own guys ....and yeah, if you've watched some postgame interviews, Wiz players notice it.

So basically we need more fans to come out to the games. Maybe the percentage of people that stay home is the same as other teams, and what we've got is all we got. If every true Wiz fan shows up to a game is the Verizon Center sold out?

Reg. the lack of Wizards fans...

When the NBA was at its most popular, the 80s and 90s, the Wizards(well Bullets mostly)were completely irrelevant. An entire generation of kids grew up watching the Lakers, Celtics, Bulls, Pistons, Rockets, etc. etc. Even the Wizards/Bullets franchise went out of its way to promote other teams stars.

So now all those kids, who are in their 20s/30s now, many of them grew up supporting other teams. The ones that stuck with the hometown team are just so apathetic that they don't care enough to support what they know are a bunch of losers.

And lets be quite honest, at the end of the day Washington D.C. is just a really weak sports town outside the Redskins and even the Skins have problems with lots of opposing fans coming to games(although it's not an issue when the team is winning).

• Like 1

I don't think you can call this a weak sports town anymore. The Nats and the Caps following is growing year by year. The Wizards have just been horrendous and they refuse to fire a GM whom has no idea what he's doing. It really feels like there's no hope. What do they expect from the fans?

Reg. the lack of Wizards fans...

When the NBA was at its most popular, the 80s and 90s, the Wizards(well Bullets mostly)were completely irrelevant. An entire generation of kids grew up watching the Lakers, Celtics, Bulls, Pistons, Rockets, etc. etc. Even the Wizards/Bullets franchise went out of its way to promote other teams stars.

So now all those kids, who are in their 20s/30s now, many of them grew up supporting other teams. The ones that stuck with the hometown team are just so apathetic that they don't care enough to support what they know are a bunch of losers.

And lets be quite honest, at the end of the day Washington D.C. is just a really weak sports town outside the Redskins and even the Skins have problems with lots of opposing fans coming to games(although it's not an issue when the team is winning).

You are so absolutely right. Unfortunately the Bullets best years were in the 70s, when no one cared about the NBA and it was still not a very popular league. 

I too, remember hearing on the radio, seeing on TV and reading in the paper the advertisements for fans to come out to the game.  It was always, "This Friday Night, January 7th, come see Magic Johnson and the Los Angeles Lakers, take on your Washington Bullets."  Really?  That always bothered me back then.

It's been 38 years since we won a title and 37 years since we've competed for one. The players can kiss my ass.  Give the fans 4-5 years of sustained winning and at least start playing good enough to look like you can compete for a title.  We saw how hungry the fans are for a winner when we were in the playoffs 2 years ago.  Fans were in a frenzy against Toronto and Atlanta.  First time I've seen a home court advantage in DC in nearly 40 years.  There are fans out there.  You have to GIVE THEM A REASON to cheer. 

Warhead used the right word- "Apathetic". You got to give the fans a reason to care. 

EDIT- And WTF is it with fans of other teams on this forum in here and in the NBA thread that are so obsessed with the Wizards and Wizards fans being obsessed with getting Durant?  I mean:

1) This is a WASHINGTON based website, so naturally you will get more Wizards fans in here then other teams. Duh.

2) Why does it matter to them that they are so concerned that fans of a team that has been irrelevant for 40 years, wanting to hold out a faint pipe dream that we want a hometown hero to play for us? 

They sound just as ridiculous obsessing over our obsession with wanting Durant.

My apologies for singling out Taze, but damn, if you thought there was an inkling of hope that Steph Curry might come home to Charlotte to play for the Hornets, you'd be the same way.

• Like 2

You are so absolutely right. Unfortunately the Bullets best years were in the 70s, when no one cared about the NBA and it was still not a very popular league. 

I too, remember hearing on the radio, seeing on TV and reading in the paper the advertisements for fans to come out to the game.  It was always, "This Friday Night, January 7th, come see Magic Johnson and the Los Angeles Lakers, take on your Washington Bullets."  Really?  That always bothered me back then.

It's been 38 years since we won a title and 37 years since we've competed for one. The players can kiss my ass.  Give the fans 4-5 years of sustained winning and at least start playing good enough to look like you can compete for a title.  We saw how hungry the fans are for a winner when we were in the playoffs 2 years ago.  Fans were in a frenzy against Toronto and Atlanta.  First time I've seen a home court advantage in DC in nearly 40 years.  There are fans out there.  You have to GIVE THEM A REASON to cheer. 

Warhead used the right word- "Apathetic". You got to give the fans a reason to care. 

EDIT- And WTF is it with fans of other teams on this forum in here and in the NBA thread that are so obsessed with the Wizards and Wizards fans being obsessed with getting Durant?  I mean:

1) This is a WASHINGTON based website, so naturally you will get more Wizards fans in here then other teams. Duh.

2) Why does it matter to them that they are so concerned that fans of a team that has been irrelevant for 40 years, wanting to hold out a faint pipe dream that we want a hometown hero to play for us? 

My apologies for singling out Taze, but damn, if you thought there was an inkling of hope that Steph Curry might come home to Charlotte to play for the Hornets, you'd be the same way.

Meh, our home playoff games weren't that great. Doesn't even come close to Golden State, Oklahoma City, Toronto, etc.

Wizards fans cheer louder for free chicken sandwiches then winning.

Meh, our home playoff games weren't that great. Doesn't even come close to Golden State, Oklahoma City, Toronto, etc.

Wizards fans cheer louder for free chicken sandwiches then winning.

The other years we made the playoffs, no. But that year with Paul Pierce, the crowd was good.

OKC fans have had nothing but success since moving from Seattle. Let's see how rabid they are when they suck.

WTH were all these "Golden State" fans 5 years ago when they weren't winning?

Toronto? Hockey still rules and they have nothing better to do when the Leafs are on the road.

I'd like to see any NBA team go through essentially 40 years of losing and then let's see how friggin rabid and loyal they really are.

Edited by pjfootballer

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-wizards/sources-kevin-durant-out-mind-wizards-set-sights-ryan-anderson

Now that Kevin Durant has dropped from the wish list for the Wizards with free agency set to open at the end of the week, Ryan Anderson is their next priority, multiple league sources tell CSNmidatlantic.com on Monday, and they'll make an aggressive move in hopes of securing the three-point shooting forward.

I'm cool with signing Ryan Anderson, but if he's the "priority", does that mean we're already looking past Whiteside/Horford?

on a sidenote, KD to Ryan Anderson? 

die-558c393fb5b6c.gif

Ted is such a liar. All of his talk of Ernie following "the plan". Oh, he wasn't fired with Wittman because he was following the plan. How is not getting even a phone call from Durant part of the plan? Grunfield should be fired immediately for intentionally not improving the team for three years, wasting some of Wall's best years, all so we can be ignored like a needy ex-gf.

• Like 4

I don't mind being singled out.  I consider myself a member of this community, specifically the Tailgate since I rarely post in the stadium anymore.  I know the overwhelming majority of posters pull for DC area teams, but I still like to engage in threads of said teams from time to time.  

I'm not obsessed with Wizards fans wanting Durant.  I have stated, I 100% get why fans are upset that he's not coming here.  I was merely pointing out that some of the angry talk spewed at Durant if "he signs with this team" etc. sounded childish.  While I know the vast majority are angry at the organization too, I think it's silly to be as angry at Durant and some are.  

Whether it's not meeting with the Wiz or if he signs with GS or SA.  Durant did nothing wrong to deserve some of the reactions some are posting.  

And I'd love for Steph to come home and play for the Hornets when his contract is up.  He, like Durant shows his hometown fandom, going to Panthers games, etc.  He becomes a free agent in 2017.  I don't expect him to sign with Charlotte or even entertain the idea.  If he even would consider it (which I don't think he would) and then signed elsewhere to a loaded team other than GS, I certainly wouldn't hate him for that or be angry at him.  He doesn't owe Charlotte or our fans anything.

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro
  • Like 1

'Taze, and others:

We're just sad and tired of being complete fools, rooting for a perennial loser that refuses to try. We had been convinced by the team that a few years of rentals would lead us to a difference maker. That a few years of Wittman's sorry ass would be only a stop gap, and not 5 years. That EG's contract was expiring, and then it wasnt. That cheering for guys like Neal, Thornton, and Butler would be only temporary and would lead to bigger and better things. And now we are told its our fault they failed at their jobs, our fault that the hometown guy doesnt want to join our team, and that expensive, redundant, 1-way injury-prone players are our top priorities; as if that wasnt what got us here in the first place. That they knew he wasnt coming over a year ago, yet continued pushing the narrative that we had a chance. Continued openly courting him with KD2DC tweets and blog posts on official Wizards sites. Even worse is that it seems that they are above even trying to talk to any of those top guys, as though they are in some delusion that our starting 5 is perfect as is. I dont buy that Durant chose not to come here because of the fans. He had DC in the palm of his hand. A guy from DC, grew up in DC, diehard Redskins fan that shows up to a bunch of games, cheers on the Mystics, tried to sell DC shoes, and seems like a class act... Yea the people would have loved for him to come here, even if we didnt expect it. He would have been a hero. We wouldnt have even cared if he ultimately chose not to come here after hearing us out. We are the most futile city in America now, we get it.

Instead we get to hear about him wanting to join Golden State. Or talking about how good the roster is in New York, and we dont even get a courtesy call. Nah, no one would ever be that upset with fans pining for their native hero to come home. This is on EG/Ted, and they seem to want everyone to believe its our fault while they continue to dump water into the life boat.

• Like 1

I've already made peace with it 

Deep down, I keep telling myself that there has to be some other plan.  They can't roll into the season with Ryan Anderson as their top FA catch.  It's pathetic.  Putting Anderson at #1 pretty much says that they won't be really considering guys like Whiteside or Horford. 

What are they doing?  This is REALLY bad.  Wizards/Kings/Sixers might be the three worst run organizations in the league by a mile.