Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I don't doubt that. You know way more than me. I'd like to know specifically what moves you are referring to.

I am just speaking practically - there is no way Durant is coming to DC, under the premise that he wants to win a championship.

Anyone in their right mind can see how far this team is front contending. Adding Durant would make us a top 5 team in the east, but I truly don't think it magically makes us championship caliber. We need big men who can defend first and foremost, as well as some legit shooters who can defend.

this past season he constructed a team full of a players on 1 yr deals with the expressed aim of making a run at KD.  That mass of 1yr deals led to a team that had very little on the court chemistry and contributed greatly to the communication break down on defense.  Probably also contributed to players not giving their all on defense, wanting to conserve end the year injury free to not affect the free agency.  the mass of players on expiring deals was also used as excuses in the past when choosing to pass on other talent by trade or free agency

Ted and Grunfeld have been building towards this exact moment.  Clearly KD is plan A, no problem with that, but their buildup has resulted in them not being on the shortlist for interviews.  The 5 minute interview he'll throw us at the end, if we even get that, will be next to meaningless.  As many in this thread have said, Grunfeld's complete lack of vision is on display here.  I have the feeling that Plan B will involve kicking the can to next year.  Nobody is as practiced at kicking the can down the road as Ernie Grunfeld. 

"Don't judge me this year, wait until next year and you'll see what I can really do." - Grunfeld for the past decade

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 1

I really don't see why it matters where he goes.  It's not like he is assembling teams with his best friends to make a super power (LeBron/Wade/Bosh).  And honestly, I'm over that now anyhow, my take on it is who cares.  

Free agents of his caliber get recruited with teams that have a lot of fire power all the time.  It's part of the selling process. Can't blame a guy for going to any team that gives him an opportunity to win a championship.  

• Like 1

I think the Celtics might be the ideal spot in his mind. They have a lot of nice young players, complimentary star types like Isiah Thomas, but no real legit superstar. He'd also be in the East where he'd have a lot less competition. I don't see him going to the Heat as that would be too much like he were copying Lebron.

OKC is his ideal spot. They are a lot better than Boston and have better young players plus another MVP candidate who is one of the four best players in the league.

OKC is his ideal spot. They are a lot better than Boston and have better young players plus another MVP candidate who is one of the four best players in the league.

For sure. I meant if he was going to leave, Boston would be a good bet.

I think he's staying though.

Whatever. Hooray for super teams.

Just busting your balls man.  Though I think it's silly to make comments like KD should be banned from wearing Redskins gear and rep'ing DC if he picks GS or the Spurs.  

It's easy to sit here and toss out nonsense like that because none of us are in a position to make that kind of money and be able to pick any team we want to play for.  He is.  It's not about the money, he will make that regardless.  It's about the ring now.  

I'm in the same thought as steve is, I think he will stay with the Thunder for one more season at least.

Man, your team just won 73 games, and lost after being up 3-1 in the finals on back to back trips. And you are digging on a losing franchise' fanbase for being upset about "DC native"-former mvp bandwagoning and potentially joining one of the only 3 current championship teams. I wish 3-4 more years of Varejiao fish flops upon you.

Man, your team just won 73 games, and lost after being up 3-1 in the finals on back to back trips. And you are digging on a losing franchise' fanbase for being upset about "DC native"-former mvp bandwagoning and potentially joining one of the only 3 current championship teams. I wish 3-4 more years of Varejiao fish flops upon you.

My team is the Charlotte Hornets........so there is that lol  I was busting your balls, joking around.  But I do think it's silly to make comments about KD like that, like he owes DC or the Wiz anything at all.  

Cause he doesn't.  It's a business and about winning rings.  The Wizards don't offer him the best place to win or contend for a championship.  The money, it's there anywhere he chooses to go.  So what if he picks a top team to play for?  

Realistically, you can't expect him to go to DC.  Not after this past season.  So because of that, you expect him to not sign with GS or SA?  Because you and DC can't have him?  That's just silly man.  

Edit:  Again, I think he stays with OKC.  It's not a dig on the fanbase, but I call it like I see it.  KD owes you and the DC fanbase zero, nothing.  Being a native or not.  Turning on him because of where he decides to play is childish.  Absolutely your right to "hate", but still childish.  

You thought you had a shot (and I did to after the surge the Wiz made in the playoffs in 2014-15) at KD, your organization tanked, injuries, etc. and you didn't make the playoffs this past season.  Y'all got your hopes up and missed the chance.  That sucks.  

Being a Hornets fan, I've gone through a lot worse.  Nobody wants to play in Charlotte.  We didn't even have one all-star on the roster and we have 7 free agents, 3 of them starters.  Things aren't exactly looking good for next season.

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro

So are you saying an Olympic team ?

Seriously, every team needs and wants that.

It's the balance of defenders and scorers at any position that is most desirable.

The trick is for some of them to be young, and most of them be good passers.

This is the reason the Spurs have been good for so long.

Agreed with all that. Just in my opinion, from watching the Wizards for however many years now, there has been a gigantic lack of just the simple fundamentals: defense and shooting. We haven't had a legit big man since....forever. A guy who could guard the rim, rebound, and give you some points in the paint. Moreover a consistent scorer and guys who come off the bench to contribute. When you are leaning on Garrett Temple then you aren't really in the discussion as contenders. Beal is erratic and injury prone - I feel like we're expecting tons from him and he isn't necessarily delivering. I'm not gonna go player by player but let's just say there is a lack of talent. I like Porter but I want to see him take the next step and become a force.

I will be honest and say I haven't been watching as much the past 2-3 years because I live in California and don't have access, but I know the Wizards tradition, and everytime I watch them play they look like the same ragtag group of mediocre players.

• Like 1

Durant is smart to stay away from Washington. As much as it would be fun to have him here. He knows Ernie/Ted won't build a winner around him. Spurs would be perfect for him IMO.

LeBron was smart to leave Cleveland to try and get rings in Miami as well.

Many of you teasing us Wizard fans over this pipe dream are completely missing the point on why some of us are pissed at the notion that he could end up leaving OKC without even considering coming back to the DC area.

• Like 1

LeBron was smart to leave Cleveland to try and get rings in Miami as well.

Many of you teasing us Wizard fans over this pipe dream are completely missing the point on why some of us are pissed at the notion that he could end up leaving OKC without even considering coming back to the DC area.

I really was just messing around.   With that said, I completely understand y'all being pissed that things happened the way they did and you lost an opportunity to snag one of the top NBA players, who also happens to be a DC native and hometown kid.  

I get that, I really do.  I'd be upset too, but at the organization, ownership, coaches, etc. which I know most of you are.  But being pissed at KD directly because he could leave OKC and not consider playing in DC, that just seems childish to me.  KD wasn't the reason the Wizards are in the condition they are now.  He's not the reason they aren't in position to be a contender if he was added to the roster.

So from a business standpoint, he already made a decision to speak with certain teams.  Right now its only GS, SA and OKC.  Contenders, teams with a chance.  Why should he consider DC?  If your answer is because he's a DC native and they hired his old coach, that's a pretty weak answer.  I'm sorry, but it just is.

There really isn't any reason to entertain and speak with every team interested in him.  It's a waste of time for him and those teams if they don't have a shot.  Unfortunately, that includes the Wizards.  Is him meeting with them while knowing there isn't a chance he is going there really going to make it any better?  

I really was just messing around. With that said, I completely understand y'all being pissed that things happened the way they did and you lost an opportunity to snag one of the top NBA players, who also happens to be a DC native and hometown kid.  

I get that, I really do. I'd be upset too, but at the organization, ownership, coaches, etc. which I know most of you are. But being pissed at KD directly because he could leave OKC and not consider playing in DC, that just seems childish to me. KD wasn't the reason the Wizards are in the condition they are now. He's not the reason they aren't in position to be a contender if he was added to the roster.

So from a business standpoint, he already made a decision to speak with certain teams. Right now its only GS, SA and OKC. Contenders, teams with a chance. Why should he consider DC? If your answer is because he's a DC native and they hired his old coach, that's a pretty weak answer. I'm sorry, but it just is.

There really isn't any reason to entertain and speak with every team interested in him. It's a waste of time for him and those teams if they don't have a shot. Unfortunately, that includes the Wizards. Is him meeting with them while knowing there isn't a chance he is going there really going to make it any better?

I know you're teasing, and for me, it has very little to do with what we've done to convince KD to come here versus how hard he "reps" DC and starting to get this feeling he has zero plans to help end the DC area's championship drought. Considering we wasted a year of Wall's prime to construct for the soul purpose of being able to afford KD the year after, that's not KD's fault at all, and may have even cost us getting KD to come here (beyond ironic).

Maybe I need to watch more TV, but even NBA players I've seen do pieces on their hometown I don't see rocking hometown gear and constantly giving shoutouts via social media. LeBron went in there and basically did it himself in Cleveland without any promises that that would work.

I'm also kinda getting annoyed with the idea that KD on this team would not make any difference. Last year we finally tuned out our Looney Tune character coach. The previous two seasons we pushed deep into the second round and save Wall breaking his hand should've been in the ECF.

The ripple effect it would cause in terms of players wanting to play in DC for less with a Wall/Beal/Durant combo would absolutely change the conversation of this team being a contender or not. There's no doubt in my mind we're going to be back to Top 10 defense next year, but I have legit doubts on seeing us coming out the East unless we do add another star to pair with Wall and Beal.

If Durant wants to take a more sure-bet, I can respect that. Rings are not easy to come by, some never get one. There's also no promises that ring chasing will work for him either. Once Wall starts leaving his prime, it may be too late for him to come around and try and do it then.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

My team is the Charlotte Hornets........so there is that lol I was busting your balls, joking around. But I do think it's silly to make comments about KD like that, like he owes DC or the Wiz anything all.

Realistically, you can't expect him to go to DC. Not after this past season. So because of that, you expect him to not sign with GS or SA? Because you and DC can't have him? That's just silly man.

You could go back 3 years and see that I said Durant would never come here. He would be stupid to leave Westbrook and that still stands. Anyways, I don't care if he doesn't come here. I do care if he chooses to bandwagon while trying to rep his home town. It was a lame thing for Lebron to do, and it's lame if that's what Kevin chooses to do.

• Like 1

Ok, so how do the Wizards figure out a way to get a CONSISTENT 2nd scoring option? 

Look at the Warriors...they have a superstar in Curry, but two excellent B/C options in Thompson/Green, who are BOTH able to take over games if need be. 

Where is that on the Wizards?  We are all waiting for Beal to make that leap, and this could be the year...however, that still doesn't solve the problem of having a 1C...or 1B (maybe) option.  Reason I say 1B, is that depending on how you view Wall, he may/may not be the type of player we can trust to take over a game in the 4th.  Is he one of the best PGs in the NBA?  Absolutely...however, I think there's something to be said about getting a crucial basket when needed, and I just don't think he's that type of player. 

Going to 1C, this is where the Wizards have a big hole.  How do they address that?

KD is a pipe dream...but is there anyone out there who can help fill that void by way of FA/trade?

You could go back 3 years and see that I said Durant would never come here. He would be stupid to leave Westbrook and that still stands. Anyways, I don't care if he doesn't come here. I do care if he chooses to bandwagon while trying to rep his home town. It was a lame thing for Lebron to do, and it's lame if that's what Kevin chooses to do.

Fair enough.  I just see it differently.  

Agreed with all that. Just in my opinion, from watching the Wizards for however many years now, there has been a gigantic lack of just the simple fundamentals: defense and shooting. We haven't had a legit big man since....forever. A guy who could guard the rim, rebound, and give you some points in the paint. Moreover a consistent scorer and guys who come off the bench to contribute. When you are leaning on Garrett Temple then you aren't really in the discussion as contenders. Beal is erratic and injury prone - I feel like we're expecting tons from him and he isn't necessarily delivering. I'm not gonna go player by player but let's just say there is a lack of talent. I like Porter but I want to see him take the next step and become a force.

I will be honest and say I haven't been watching as much the past 2-3 years because I live in California and don't have access, but I know the Wizards tradition, and everytime I watch them play they look like the same ragtag group of mediocre players.

No offense but you haven't been watching the Wiz that closely.

Over the last few years the Wiz have been a top 10 offensive and defensive team.

Unfortunately, we haven't done it in the same season yet.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

This team has a FEW pieces and maybe the right coach now. I don't know.

They still don't have a Scot Mccloughan type in charge who is consistent with how he wants to build a team.

Ernie is always reacting to something. Trying to fix a mistake he made before.

Not having a draft pick is no big deal, because unless it's a no-brainer, he ****s it up.

For all this high tech looking forward thinking, it seems like Ted goes cheap on the scouting, analytics and other little things that you need to do to complete with top NBA markets.

Free agency will be interesting and potentially very sad if they end up overpaying for a few players just because they didn't get who they really wanted.

Ok, so how do the Wizards figure out a way to get a CONSISTENT 2nd scoring option?

Look at the Warriors...they have a superstar in Curry, but two excellent B/C options in Thompson/Green, who are BOTH able to take over games if need be.

Where is that on the Wizards?; We are all waiting for Beal to make that leap, and this could be the year...however, that still doesn't solve the problem of having a 1C...or 1B (maybe) option.Reason I say 1B, is that depending on how you view Wall, he may/may not be the type of player we can trust to take over a game in the 4th; Is he one of the best PGs in the NBA?; Absolutely...however, I think there's something to be said about getting a crucial basket when needed, and I just don't think he's that type of player.

Going to 1C, this is where the Wizards have a big hole.How do they address that?

KD is a pipe dream...but is there anyone out there who can help fill that void by way of FA/trade?

The fact we're having this conversation just goes to show how terrible a job Whitman has done at developing the talent we already have. I don't believe we're going to be able to convince a 1C to sign here after the debacle that was last season. I can see a rotation of prayers concerning Otto/Kelly/Satoransky as the 1C and hoping Beal and Wall can at least play to expectations versus potential.

It's hard for me to say what we really need right now because so much of the roster underachieved last year. I at least want another player that can legit spell Gortat or even push him for starting.

Jeff Greene is a free agent : )

Where is that on the Wizards?  We are all waiting for Beal to make that leap, and this could be the year...however, that still doesn't solve the problem of having a 1C...or 1B (maybe) option.  Reason I say 1B, is that depending on how you view Wall, he may/may not be the type of player we can trust to take over a game in the 4th.  Is he one of the best PGs in the NBA?  Absolutely...however, I think there's something to be said about getting a crucial basket when needed, and I just don't think he's that type of player. 

Going to 1C, this is where the Wizards have a big hole.  How do they address that?

Right, we need an irrational confidence shooting guy.  Someone like a JR Smith (not that I want him on this team), but someone that hits 4 threes in a row like he always seems to do against the Wizards.

After Durant, what is plan B?  Why aren't we going after Horford?  Are we looking at Parsons or Batum?  Or if we miss on Durant, we are just going to resign everyone from last year and hope Brooks can coach them up?  Yikes.

There are just SO many holes on this roster....

There were problems with our depth and rotational players last year, so I dunno how Grunfeld is going to remedy this if he has had issues putting together decent teams going back 15-20+ years. 

We have one star player in Wall, four solid rotational guys in Gortat, Beal, Morris, and Porter, and that's about it.  I guess Beal is the one guy who SHOULD make a huge leap this year, but the jury is still out on him for a number of reasons. 

If the plan for KD falls through, which is obviously will, the FO needs to figure something out as far as how to fill that 1B void.  Beal could be it, but who knows?  If it were up to me, and I see that we've already wasted a prime year of Wall's career, I'm doing whatever it takes to bring in Boogie.  Yes, he's a risk, but doing little to nothing to improve the outlook on this team going forward does nothing but put Wall that much closer to leaving via FA when the time comes. 

I'd rather make the gamble on Boogie because basketball-wise, he's arguably the best at his position.  He's a guaranteed 25/10 scorer, and that would be your 1A.  I think a guy like Beal would be included in the trade, but if I'm going all in for Boogie, I'd have to hope that a combination of Wall/Porter (depending on if Porter is/isn't included) can step up to be 1B or 1C.  If Porter goes, you better hope Oubre makes a HUGE leap in his development or Ernie plays his cards right *chuckles* and gets a FA in here to be the 3rd option. 

I dunno....I just have a apoplectic feeling about what's going to happen in free agency and how this team will shape up after Ernie is done spending.  Ugh...

No offense but you haven't been watching the Wiz that closely.

Over the last few years the Wiz have been a top 10 offensive and defensive team.

Unfortunately, we haven't done it in the same season yet.

That may be true. And I admitted I don't watch the team closely.

I'm not a stats guy. I watch a team play and judge them by what I see. The Wizards have never had a great big man in forever. Never should've gotten rid of Brendan Haywood. Nene is hogwash and Gortat is cool. Bench is trash. Jared Dudley? Gary Neal? Rubbish.

You need depth in this league. Guys who bring energy. Those guys are mediocre.

I predict the Wizards will not even make the playoffs next year unless they add some great pieces. I hope Satoransky and/or White can bring some youthful aggressiveness to the squad. But chances are neither will even play. And Oubre will be a wasted pick watch.

No way I'd include Beal in a trade for Boogie. Oubre, Porter, Satoransky and a couple of first round picks. Beal is too young and has shown too much star potential to deal away. Wall, Beal and Boogie developing together may be the ticket.

No way I'd include Beal in a trade for Boogie. Oubre, Porter, Satoransky and a couple of first round picks. Beal is too young and has shown too much star potential to deal away. Wall, Beal and Boogie developing together may be the ticket.

Then you're not getting Boogie.

I'm not as high on Beal as you are but from the players you just mentioned, he's the only semi-proven one.