Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Twas the night before the NBA draft

and we ain't got ****

We got a Grunfeld, which is considerably worse than not having ****

basketball depresses me so much right now

anyway, Wall clearly stated he wants another superstar. Assuming KD goes elsewhere, nobody else on the FA market meets the qualification, except maybe Horford.  It will be interesting to see how they attempt to spin this FA class if they miss out on the bigger talents.  This has been a couple of years in the making and I can see the excuses lining up already when they kick the can down the road

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-wizards/wizards-lock-center-jaleel-roberts-las-vegas-summer-league

WIZARDS LOCK IN CENTER JALEEL ROBERTS FOR LAS VEGAS SUMMER LEAGUE

When Jaleel Roberts competed for the Wizards at Las Vegas summer league and in training camp a year ago, it was with an eye towards the future.

The 7-1 center, who the Wizards paid to attend a skills camp in 2015, played in Australia this past season and will be in Las Vegas for summer league again next month, several persons with knowledge of the situation told CSNmidatlantic.com.

Roberts confirmed to CSN late Tuesday night that he'll return.  

This time, however, he has a more realistic chance with about eight roster spots available. The only center currently under contract is Marcin Gortat when free agency opens July 1 and younger, more athletic bigs are preferred.

Aaron White tells CSN Mid-Atlantic that he arrived back in the US on 6/10 and #Wizards Scott Brooks worked him out 1-on-1 on 6/12

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Are the Bulls still interested in trading Butler? If he's really giving their coach fits and they want to move him, a sign and trade of Beal for Butler. I'd even throw in a 2nd round pick.

To be clear, yes I think Butler is a better player than Beal.

and why would we view durability concerns in absence?

It was stated that Butler is clearly the better player. Beal is a superior basketball talent by any measure.

Last 3 years, Butler has averaged 66 games played...Beal 63 games played.

Chicago would need to sweeten the deal significantly.

Edited by TryTheBeal!
  • Like 1

Butler is a better player no doubt. 20-5-5 player who shoots a decent percentage from two and plays good defense. But I'm not sure I make the move either. The difference in upside is a point in Beal's favor, as is the three point shooting. It would be nice to have a wing who can create and get to the line like Butler. But I worry about the three point shooting of a Wall/Butler back court.

• Like 1

It was stated that Butler is clearly the better player. Beal is a superior basketball talent by any measure.

Last 3 years, Butler has averaged 66 games played...Beal 63 games played.

Chicago would need to sweeten the deal significantly.

I don't see any measure which strongly indicates Beal is the superior talent.  Beal is smaller, weaker, poorer defensively, and has below average handles for an NBA guard.  Butler averages more points and more assists, with the same number of turnovers as Beal.  Butler is the better rebounder and the more versatile defender, likely because of his superior size.  

The only thing Beal does better is shoot the three ball.  His free throw% and field goal% is lower than Butler... and Butler isn't sharing the floor with one of the leagues best passing point guards. I think Beal will end up being a better scorer, but I don't think he'll be an elite scorer either.  Neither of these guys are going to be superstars.

Beal is just...an enigma. There are games including playoff games where he absolutely dominates. But he also drives you crazy with the turnovers, nonchalant effort at times, mediocre(for a supposed talented player)FT shooting, and of course the injuries.

He's like the Wizards version of Jordan Reed pre 2015. Difference is, Reed finally balled out and dominated and deserved the rich contract he got. And in the NFL, you can get away with taking risks in contracts because its so much easier to get out of them(that and of course the Skins have fantastic management/salary cap people, the Wizards not so much).

I still think the best thing is to explore sign and trade options. If we could work some kind of Beal for Cousins type deal I'd be all for it. Not sure how realistic that is, probably not, but you can't just go all in on a Beal max deal without exploring every possible option. Its just WAY too big of a gamble for a player that has not yet proven he can even play a full regular season at an All-Star level.

I don't see any measure which strongly indicates Beal is the superior talent.  Beal is smaller, weaker, poorer defensively, and has below average handles for an NBA guard.  Butler averages more points and more assists, with the same number of turnovers as Beal.  Butler is the better rebounder and the more versatile defender, likely because of his superior size.  

The only thing Beal does better is shoot the three ball.  His free throw% and field goal% is lower than Butler... and Butler isn't sharing the floor with one of the leagues best passing point guards. I think Beal will end up being a better scorer, but I don't think he'll be an elite scorer either.  Neither of these guys are going to be superstars.

Beal career APG are actually higher. Beals career playoff numbers blow out Butler across the board. Butler is a lightly-recruited, 30th pick grinder that has likely maxed-out his talent at 26 years old. Beal is blue-chip, lottery pick stud that hasn't near hit his ceiling at 22 years old. Fear of recurring injury for Beal would be the only factor that could lead someone to swap him for Butler. I don't have that fear. Sign him to the max and let it roll.

3 years from now Beal will be a 25YO sharpshooter with better handles, a ton of playoff experience and a great contract for swinging a big trade. Butler will be pushing 30 and winding it down shooting 31% from 3 and dreadfully overpaid. Grunfeld absolutely cannot make this deal.

• Like 3

I agree.

I'll also add that, since the Durant dream is basically over, and since we have a new coach in his first season, the team should try and stay young, or get younger at spots where they can. Doing things like swapping Gortat for a younger talent are probably our best moves to make now.

• Like 1

People just like ****ting on our own players for the sake of negativity.

Beal: 22 years old... Per 36 stats: 20.2 points, 4 Rebounds, 3.3 Asists, 1.1 steals, while shooting 45 % from the field is on a yearly basis be around 40% from 3. Oh and just in case you forget he was 22 during the season.. clearly he has already peaked.

Injury concerns.... yes to an extent, but anyone can get injured at any time. Not enough concerns to just simply dismiss his talent which is the potential of a top 5 SG in this league

People just like ****ting on our own players for the sake of negativity.

Beal: 22 years old... Per 36 stats: 20.2 points, 4 Rebounds, 3.3 Asists, 1.1 steals, while shooting 45 % from the field is on a yearly basis be around 40% from 3. Oh and just in case you forget he was 22 during the season.. clearly he has already peaked.

Injury concerns.... yes to an extent, but anyone can get injured at any time. Not enough concerns to just simply dismiss his talent which is the potential of a top 5 SG in this league

nobody is ****ting on Beal, just weighing his talent/value to others who could be an upgrade.  Beal has the potential of a top 5 SG in the league, Butler is already there

Its not a disrespect to Beal to say we may be better off with Butler.  Its not like we're trying to get rid of him to start Garret Temple

• Like 1

I think this draft will end up being better than people think. Kind of like how 2011 has become, but maybe not as good. I think there will be solid role players smattered throughout the first round. The hard part is to figure out which ones are Reggie Jacksons, Kenneth Farieds, and Nikola Vucevics and which ones are Chris Singletons, Jordan Hamiltons, and Marshon Brooks.