Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

So, how does it work with no picks? I assume they invite a ton of rookies who didn't get drafted along with D-League guys. Wondering if that's attractive to those kids knowing how many open roster spots there are vs a team loaded and just taking 2 players in the draft. 

Not that it matters a ton.

I saw someone post this on FB basically saying not to anoint Steph as the GOAT just quite yet.  No idea if these numbers are correct, but man, Gil was amazing for those few years before injuries and stupidity derailed his career.  #HIBACHI

af2d1851f5.jpg

they forgot to include shot percentages for those first six years. 

Gilbert .428 fg% and .360 3p%

Curry .470 fg% and .440 3p%

But Gilbert got to the line more than twice as often (3102 vs 1450) and as a result had about the same same PPS as Curry (1.326 vs 1.319).  Gil was a monster until the universe took his knees.  Then he became a troll on the internet. 

Gil was not a champion however, nor could he claim to be the best ______ ever.  Curry is a champion and he's the best shooter in NBA history.  A claim like that elevates a players profile. 

• Like 1

Check out the difference in the advanced stats too. Curry's career ORtg and PER are 117 and 23.2. Gil's are 109 and 19.6. Those are fairly significant differences between two players that have basically the same limitations. Meaning: Gil wasn't offsetting lower scoring efficiency by being a way better passer or defender than Curry.

I think it's kind of crappy of Westbrook to back out of the Olympics when he's healthy. It's also kind of ****ty of Curry to do too, even though he's coming off two deep playoff runs. But heavy is the head that wears the crown. If you're supposed to be the best basketball player in the world, you should be playing in the Olympics.

John could have probably been the starting PG for Team USA if he hadn't gotten surgery. It's good that he took care of his knees, but it was bad timing. The US is fricking stacked in PGs and none of them are going to be there.

I think it's kind of crappy of Westbrook to back out of the Olympics when he's healthy. It's also kind of ****ty of Curry to do too, even though he's coming off two deep playoff runs. But heavy is the head that wears the crown. If you're supposed to be the best basketball player in the world, you should be playing in the Olympics.

John could have probably been the starting PG for Team USA if he hadn't gotten surgery. It's good that he took care of his knees, but it was bad timing. The US is fricking stacked in PGs and none of them are going to be there.

I'm not blaming a single soul for backing out with all that is going on in Rio. If you choose to go, more power to you, but i'm not criticizing anybody who chooses to stay home.

It's a responsibility that comes with being the best American players in the NBA. Guys in prior generations had to deal with the same risks to their careers and they did it. For the vast majority of the guys who participate it is no big dea. You get to travel to a beautiful country and play basketball with the best players in the world and be feted as national heroes for a couple of weeks. That is not that big a sacrifice to ask.

Zika should only be a real concern to athletes with auto-immune complications or who are trying to have a baby within the next few months.

I think it's kind of crappy of Westbrook to back out of the Olympics when he's healthy. It's also kind of ****ty of Curry to do too, even though he's coming off two deep playoff runs. But heavy is the head that wears the crown. If you're supposed to be the best basketball player in the world, you should be playing in the Olympics.John could have probably been the starting PG for Team USA if he hadn't gotten surgery. It's good that he took care of his knees, but it was bad timing. The US is fricking stacked in PGs and none of them are going to be there.

Zyka virus and now reports of "super bacteria" in Olympic venues. http://www.reuters.com/article/us-olympics-rio-superbacteria-exclusive-idUSKCN0YW2E8

Curry is obviously not 100% in these playoffs so he might just be thinking he needs time off. He might also want to have another child and Zyka virus could be a major concern for his family. I don't blame any athlete that reads the reports coming out of Brazil and decides not to risk it.

• Like 1

Zyka virus and now reports of "super bacteria" in Olympic venues. http://www.reuters.com/article/us-olympics-rio-superbacteria-exclusive-idUSKCN0YW2E8

Curry is obviously not 100% in these playoffs so he might just be thinking he needs time off. He might also want to have another child and Zyka virus could be a major concern for his family. I don't blame any athlete that reads the reports coming out of Brazil and decides not to risk it.

Not to mention there is a lot of political unrest that could lead to more rioting, making the games not exactly....safe. 

Olympic committee has to stop awarding games to countries who are beyond ill-equipped to handle the demands. 

*edit*

WIZARDS: Sign and trade for Bradley Beal? Anyone? Love is just what the Wizards need, but there probably aren't enough of the right pieces to send back to Cleveland, especially when compared to the other offers likely to be on the table.

Link

Is Love the player they need to trade? As much as they've made of his poor defense, it's Kyrie that the Warriors have targeted the most. It's also hard to have two dominant ball handlers without crippling your own offense. Just ask OKC. All the talent in the world, and there just aren't enough basketballs to keep teams with two iso stars passing the ball.

LeBron is a passer though.

LeBron works with Kyrie. He actually respects him and treats him like a partner and they take turns running the show, much like he and Wade did in Miami. He clearly does not have the same respect for Love, treats him like a role player.

Love and LeBron should be a great forward tandem on paper. But that's not how it's worked out at all the past two seasons. He has been utterly mis-utilized and is a shell of the player he was in Minnesota.

I want no part of Love if it gives Cleveland Beal.

Yeah, I have a similar feeling. Love has been a huge bust for Cleveland, whereas I think Beal could work there. He would be the perimeter defender and shooter that they try and get from the platoon of JR Smith and Shumpert.

Plus Kevin Love just looks so useless right now. He's looking like a ****ty playoff performer whose game was good for empty stat padding, but that he's a serious liability in the playoffs because of his weak ass defense and inability to create good shots for himself. I have doubts that he can be a star for a truly good team.

I think there is a real chance that Beal could be flat out better than Love in another two years or so.