Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

LeBron is a passer though.

LeBron works with Kyrie. He actually respects him and treats him like a partner and they take turns running the show, much like he and Wade did in Miami. He clearly does not have the same respect for Love, treats him like a role player.

Love and LeBron should be a great forward tandem on paper. But that's not how it's worked out at all the past two seasons. He has been utterly mis-utilized and is a shell of the player he was in Minnesota.

Yeah, I have a similar feeling. Love has been a huge bust for Cleveland, whereas I think Beal could work there. He would be the perimeter defender and shooter that they try and get from the platoon of JR Smith and Shumpert.

Plus Kevin Love just looks so useless right now. He's looking like a ****ty playoff performer whose game was good for empty stat padding, but that he's a serious liability in the playoffs because of his weak ass defense and inability to create good shots for himself. I have doubts that he can be a star for a truly good team.

I think there is a real chance that Beal could be flat out better than Love in another two years or so.

Sounds like Chris Bosh.....

Bosh also 100% bought in to what Miami was trying to build.  Sounds cliche.  But we shouldn't overlook the significance of him doing that.  He sacrificed quite a bit of his individual game and brand to make the Heatles construction work.  Love has never truly bought in for Cleveland.  And if he's not willing to do that for a LeBron team, then that makes him hard to trust.

He's a difficult player to work with.

If I'm the Wizards, I'm probably all-in on Whiteside. He's a huge gamble, but his upside is insane. It completely changes your team, while at the same time, leaving the core idea of it in place. You are still built offensively around Wall and Beal, but I imagine Wall and Whiteside would adore playing with each other assuming that Whiteside doesn't immediately gain 80 pounds and starts smoking on the bench. Dragic was never quite Dragic in Miami, and they never exactly figure out how to get Whiteside touches aside from offensive rebounds.

Plus, it would hurt a conference rival.

At that point, I probably start shedding everything else and am just looking for nothing but 3 and D guys.

• Like 1

If I'm the Wizards, I'm probably all-in on Whiteside. He's a huge gamble, but his upside is insane. It completely changes your team, while at the same time, leaving the core idea of it in place. You are still built offensively around Wall and Beal, but I imagine Wall and Whiteside would adore playing with each other assuming that Whiteside doesn't immediately gain 80 pounds and starts smoking on the bench. Dragic was never quite Dragic in Miami, and they never exactly figure out how to get Whiteside touches aside from offensive rebounds.

Plus, it would hurt a conference rival.

At that point, I probably start shedding everything else and am just looking for nothing but 3 and D guys.

Yeah Whiteside would be pretty awesome. I am usually hesitant to make big gambles on crazy players, but the only good reason I can think of to not go after Whiteside is Gortat. I really love Hassan's game, and if you could sign him and then move Gortat (who is on a very favorable contract) to bring in a piece at a different position, then I think that could be a huge net gain for the team.

The only monkey wrench in the plan is that I don't think Hassan has shown any indication of unhappiness in Miami. I'm not sure we'd be able to lure him away.

But let's say we were able to sign him: I wonder if Golden State would be willing to trade Igguoudala for Gortat? I think their salaries are close enough to do a 1:1 trade. I read a report that they are looking to keep Barnes and will only let him walk if they get Durant. If they do that, then they are going to need some money. They also desperately need a center, I have a very low opinion of Bogut, and he's a free agent.

Our lazy ass locker room full of underachievers needs a couple of guys like Iggy in it.

There was this one dude who loved Kevin Love and wanted the Wizards to get him a couple of years ago.  I think it was Bubble Screen.

I did and still do.  I wanted Bosh more though, always thought he'd have been a perfect fit here.  Sadly his health seems like it may have reached a point where his career is over.  I think if Love is your own terrible defender, you can get away with playing him.  Not if you've got two guys that dribble too much thought.  He's a guy that has to be involved and stay involved to be an effective scoring option. 

I think too much is being made of him in Cleveland.  Their biggest liability late in games has been Kyrie Irving.  The Warriors attack him on offense and his ball domination hurts that Cavs late. 

Agreed about love. If we didn't get Morris this year, I would see about acquiring him. But now that we have Morris, it's clear to me that we need a defensive presence that can throw down some yams off pick and rolls, and snag rebounds far more than another stretch 4. Gortat is great, and I really like that guy. But whiteside brings more to what we need as a team than marcin does. Perhaps we could keep them both on the roster In the short term should we pick up Hassan. But he would have to be moved in a year.

I'm also quite open to picking up whiteside, trading marcin, and resigning Nene for the backup role again.

Also: agreed about Irving. He is a defensive liability at all times, and refuses to pass. If I were Cleveland, I would keep Love and trade Kyrie.

The only way cousins is in play is if we wait til the allstar break and hope there's a meltdown in progress in sactown; which of course is a strong possibility.

But this also means our plan B is give wall nothing again and risk wasting another year of his prime in the hopes that cousins will be on the block.

I'd explore ways to acquire Cousins. Cousins/Morris frontcourt with Wall dishing out assists. Find a couple athletic 3 point shooters to play the SG and SF(I'd assume we'd have to deal Beal for Cousins which I absolutely would).

Wall-Cousins-Morris would be a good team in 1988, I think.

I think I'm officially off the Boogie train. Wizards fans have been pining for him for three years as he gets surlier and surlier.

Wall-Cousins-Morris would be a good team in 1988, I think.

I think I'm officially off the Boogie train. Wizards fans have been pining for him for three years as he gets surlier and surlier.

The organizational structure in Sacramento makes the Wizards look like the Spurs. 

I have ZERO doubts that Boogie would fall in line here. 

Cousins is a risky bet but a team like us needs to go after him when we get a chance. It's better than being perennial 5th seed, early playoff exits.

If he pants out, we are a finals contender. If he bombs, we suck slightly more than we do now. I'll take that bet.

Cousins is a risky bet but a team like us needs to go after him when we get a chance. It's better than being perennial 5th seed, early playoff exits.

If he pants out, we are a finals contender. If he bombs, we suck slightly more than we do now. I'll take that bet.

That's how I see it as well. If he fails, so what? We suck anyway. The worst thing you can be in the NBA is a treadmill middle seed type team. Either go for it all or just bottom out.

If we're going to go after a crazy seven footer, I prefer Whiteside to Cousins.

1 - He's a free agent.

2 - He is a beast of a defender.

3 - He boils over with intensity, but he doesn't shut down and sulk like a child.

I'm not sure the lightbulb is ever going to come on for Cousins. He is still basically as immature as he was at the beginning of his career. He's a six year vet now. It's past time for him get it together.

And for those who think all he needs is a change of scenery, stop for a moment and really think about this place. Do you seriously trust an Ernie Grunfeld led organization to get the most out of a talented but lazy man-child? Do you really want that kind of player to be a defining personality and leader in our locker room? We need super intense and competitive self starters, because our organizational culture flat out sucks.

Based on what? The guy has been a head case forever.

Based on an EXCELLENT rapport with John Wall which goes back 7-8 years. Not to mention a fantastic players coach in Brooks. 

It would be a good risk.  Why wouldn't you roll the dice on one of the top 2/3 5's in the league?  Especially if KD isn't in the picture. 

Edited by RonArtest15
  • Like 1