Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Would rather have Beal at a max than either Crabbe or Bazemore at whatever they'd cost. We have the money to offer Anderson or Horford what they'll cost even if we max Beal.

But can you win a title with Wall, Beal, and Horford? No. Especially not with a thin roster because of bad drafting and the fact that this "big three" is not goingt attract vets willing to take cheap deals in exchange for a title shot. Wall isn't going to win without a dominant scoring threat, because he's never going to be that kind of player himself. With or without Beal we need that kind of player.

I'd love to get Okafor.

We're not going to win a title no matter what we do. A team that doesn't have Durant, Westbrook, LeBron, Curry, or Greg Poppovich, will not be winning a title within the next five years. By the time the league opens up again, Wall will be outside his prime. Our only hope is for Wall to make the kind of jump into the MVP conversation that Westbrook did. Or Beal to make a massive leap.

Trade Wall for Okafor and Saric.

Max Beal.

Cross fingers that Okafor, Saric, Beal, Otto, and Morris become something great.

I was thinking more along the lines of trading Beal for Okafor....and crossing our fingers that Okafor, Wall, Satoransky (hopefully), Porter, Oubre etc become something great.

Okafor is a kid. He's on a very different career window than Wall. Still years away from being a real pro.

We have to find someone who came into the league around the same time as Wall.

Doesn't have to be a big. The PG + wing pairing is super effective. Curry + Thompson. Westbrook + Durant. Lowry + Derozan. Lillard + McCollum. Irving + LeBron.

Okafor is a kid. He's on a very different career window than Wall. Still years away from being a real pro.

We have to find someone who came into the league around the same time as Wall.

Doesn't have to be a big. The PG + wing pairing is super effective. Curry + Thompson. Westbrook + Durant. Lowry + Derozan. Lillard + McCollum. Irving + LeBron.

How about Noel?

Personally, I'd prefer him over Okafor.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

How about Noel?

I probably would too. He seems mature. But I don't think he's good enough return for Beal. And it'd be kind of a bummer trading Otto for him. The reason we picked Otto over him in 2013 was because we hoped that Otto could be a better and more complete player.

• Like 1

Otto is better than Barnes, and we hardly talk about Otto being in Beal and Wall's league. Barnes is just a guy who's going to cash in on a sucker franchise while playing with the two most lethal perimeter shooters in nba history. If we were to even entertain the notion of bringing him in to Washington while we have 2 promising 1st round picks at the same position already on this team...

as wizard's fans, we are not in position to label any other place a "sucker franchise"

• Like 2

How about Noel?

I really don't see the appeal of Noel.  He's not a great fit anywhere.  Too weak to guard true centers around the rim, not a great rebounder, and most teams can't have a self check on offense occupying any of the 1-4 positions.  I would hate to have to rely on him boxing out playoff front courts for 30+ minutes a game. 

He rebounds well and he's the most gifted shotblocker I've seen in a minute. Really fast first step for a big. Has some handles. His touch around the basket has improved to the point of being passable. Might keep improving. I think he could be a solid PnR finisher in time. His FT shooting is ok, suggesting he has the capacity to improve as a shooter. Very quick hands, exceptional at getting steals for a big. Capable of guarding the PG on switches.

Seems to be a real competitor and carries himself like he's the man. That's saying something, because these Philly teams are horrifically unprofessional and it'd be easy for a young player to have a crisis of confidence there, or become a loser.

He's a very limited offensive player and likely always will be. But he is an equally expansive defensive player. He has the makings of a top notch role player on a very good team.

Reportedly, Scott Brooks met personally with Tomas Satoransky in Barcelona this month. Not exactly news but @WashWizards really want Saty

So do I!  :)

GM of Czech nat'l bball team said Tomas Satoransky liked the face-to-face meeting w/ Coach Brooks, but obviously Saty is laser focused . . .

. . . on Spanish league playoffs now, wants to win a title badly for Barcelona; no decision regarding his future yet #satoransky

Lukas Kuba@Luke_Mellow 22h22 hours ago

Reportedly, Scott Brooks met personally with Tomas Satoransky in Barcelona this month. Not exactly news but @WashWizards really want Saty

Is there another second round pick in recent memory that required so much groveling before he agreed to play for the team that drafted him? Only thing missing is Ernie holding a boom box over his head outside of Satos window at night.
  • Like 5

Is there another second round pick in recent memory that required so much groveling before he agreed to play for the team that drafted him? Only thing missing is Ernie holding a boom box over his head outside of Satos window at night.

That's quite a mental image. That dour, mustachioed face staring up at his window...

• Like 1

Just wait until he gets here and sucks...

Click to read the rest

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/john-wall---i-ve-just-showed-glimpses-of-what-i-can-be-210959407.html

John Wall: ‘I’ve just showed glimpses of what I can be’

John Wall reluctantly went under the knife for the first time in his life and now he was bedridden, unable to move or shower because of surgeries on both knees, and feeling quite icky in his room at Cleveland Clinic. His mother, Frances Pulley, was at his side on Mother's Day. His agent, Rich Paul, and a few friends stopped by to check in. But another visitor, whom Wall had never met before being hospitalized in Cleveland, left an impression when he decided to hang out with him over the course of two days.

Wall and new Washington Wizards coach Scott Brooks picked each other's brains on basketball philosophy and strategy, and discussed their plans to elevate a franchise that missed the postseason after back-to-back second-round exits. The conversations were encouraging for Wall as he began a new relationship with his third coach in six years in Washington. And one comment in particular stood out for the three-time All-Star point guard.

"He told me I haven’t reached nearly my potential," Wall told The Vertical on Thursday after receiving the NBA Cares Community Assist Award, "and that’s something I like to hear, because I haven’t. I’ve just showed glimpses of what I can be."

Wall's priority is to get healthy after having procedures on both knees – the removal of loose particles from his right knee and calcium deposits from his left patella tendon. The left knee surgery, performed by orthopedic surgeon Richard D. Parker, will require several months of recovery and could affect Wall's availability for Brooks' first training camp with the Wizards.

But Wall is in no rush to get back after dealing with discomfort in his left knee in each of the past three seasons. "It’s something I feel like I had to do," Wall told the Vertical. "It was painful. You watch a lot in games, I jumped off my right leg, or I jumped off two feet. I never jumped off my left leg. That’s the reason I rarely went right, because I had to jump off two feet, because this leg, I couldn’t get off of it. ... Dr. Parker told me, 'I don’t know how the hell you were able to do it.' [Famed orthopedist] Dr. [James] Andrews told me the same thing: 'You’re basically playing on one leg, to be honest with you.' "

I do agree that he still hasn't reached his potential. I want him to be a killer like Westbrook 100% of the time. He has too many of those lackadaisical "I don't care" throw away possessions where he just dribbles around and takes a stupid shot. If this team wants to contend it needs Wall to basically play at an MVP type level because we likely aren't going to get one of those in FA or the draft, and I do think he has the talent to get there. Lets see if Brooks can get it out of him. One good thing he did do in OKC was develop young talent quite nicely.

• Like 2