Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Fans can get away with not knowing a player's potential, I don't give GM's that benefit. Thats not to say they should be perfect, but identifying value is an important criteria of their jobs. I don't give GM's the "well nobody saw this coming" pass. As a GM, with the resources available, you shouldn't be that surprised.

True, yet Howard for example is more often a liability, than an asset. Yet most people would love to have him on their team.

Same with players like Melo, or Swaggy P.

Reaching that potential is the coaches job to help the player realize.

If we had kept that pick it most probably would have been Rubio. He has averaged a nice 11-8-4 every year he's been in the league but Kosher's right. Then you might not have John Wall.

Possibly. Then you have no John Wall.

This is the dichotomy of Grunfeld. That sum**** somehow always manages to land on his feet. I have never seen someone rewarded with such luck despite not being very good at his job. He completely **** the bed trading that 5th pick, not only does he survive, he survives long enough to be gifted an elite talent like John Wall.

Rubio didn't come over until the lockout season.  He wouldn't have effected our season nor the decision to draft Wall.  Wall was the consensus #1 pick and Rubio was a mystery.  He just would have become a trade asset when we eventually took Wall.

Curry, OTOH, would have effected getting Wall.

Rubio didn't come over until the lockout season.  He wouldn't have effected our season nor the decision to draft Wall.  Wall was the consensus #1 pick and Rubio was a mystery.  He just would have become a trade asset when we eventually took Wall.

Curry, OTOH, would have effected getting Wall.

Two top five picks on point guards ? The problem for Rubio was the CBA buyout situation.

I get that the Timberwolves did draft Lawson and another PG that year to potentially use until they could get it figured out.

It's one of those hindsight situations, but obviously we will never know.

I agree, they probably would have traded Rubio, or would have tried to turn him into a two.

We can't trade Nene because we need his expiring contract. Beal is a RFA after next year and the wizards are no doubt hoping to make Durant a max offer. Only reason to move him this offseason is if it somehow helped us get Love or Aldridge, which is highly unlikely.

****in Nene.

He's a drag. The team has outgrown him.

I love Wizards fans.  In 35 years we won 3 or 4 playoff series but we have outgrown a player.  As I always post, you gotta walk before you run.  I am sure great players are dying to jump on the 3 for 35 train to a title.  :lol:

Nene is a good player and a good dude who just doesn't have much left in the tank physically. He needs to come off the bench and play limited minutes so, come playoff time, he doesn't resemble a cadaver. Losing 15 pounds and getting a little air under his jumper wouldn't hurt either.

So, NBA-niks...here's the question.

Looking at the potential free agent crop, who would be a worth while target...if any...for a potential starting stretch 4?

OR

Is there no reasonable starting quality 4 on the market that we can get on a deal that would not hinder the potential chase for Kevin Durant?

Are we basically stuck drafting and picking up a "depth" or "veteran" guy at the 4 to rotate with Nene this year because we can't get into any long term deal if we want to chase Durant?

-----

Aslo, a hypothetical...

You put out feelers and are pretty certain that it's less than a 50% shot that Durant comes here next year.

On the flip side, you're confident you can get Kevin Love to come here on a max contract this year.

Do you pass on Love and hope for Durant, or do you take the definite signing of Love this year over the potential of Durant next year?

Edited by ZRagone

Here's your list of 2015 NBA Free Agents...

2015 NBA Free Agents

EVERYTHING the Wizards have been doing over the past couple of seasons has been leading up to a run at Durant in '16.  I don't think they'll compromise that for a shot at someone like Kevin Love or LMA. 

What I think the Wizards will do is sign a relatively cheap stretch 4.  Who that is, I'm not sure...Maybe Mike Beasley, but I think he's more of a big 3.  That could also blow up due to him coming back home in addition to his immaturity. 

Edited by RonArtest15

So from an admittedly novice guy in terms of how much NBA I watch and how well I understand the stretch 4 notion, here's a thought....

Mike Muscala is on that list of Free Agents. Young guy who was mostly a bench player and likely to remain such for Atlanta, so probably won't command crazy money I'd think?

- The past two years he was pulling down 12 rebounds per 100 possessions. Compare that to Nene who's pulling down 10 per.

- This year he was a 40% shooter from the three, and we saw this post season he can hit them. Also a 55% shooter from the field.

- Add in two blocks per 100 (again, an upgrade on Nene) thanks to that large 6'11" frame.

Tell him you'll give him the chance to compete for a starting spot next year; something he's just not going to get in Atlanta if they keep Milsap.

If you can get him on a relatively friendly or low risk contract, it could be a win. If he works out, awesome...you've got a nice young player. If he doesn't work out, he's probably still solid depth with a contract that'd hopefully not kill you.

Would something comparable to what Utah gave Trevor Booker...two years, $9.7 Mil...be reasonable? And would it be low enough not to negatively impact the ability to land Durant next year?

Edited by ZRagone

I don't know how realistic this is, but Bargnani is looking kind of good to me right now. We'll suffer defensively, but I think we can probably mask his defensive weaknesses. (At least I think he is a weak defender.)

But again, I don't know the numbers, but we need somebody like him. 

There are no good options, unless Wittman was "saving" Humphries for the regular season. Given Wall, Beal, Gortat, Porter/Pierce they don't even need someone who will score... just a defense and rebounding presence.

Wizards are a year late on planning for a new PF... GM needs to think a couple years ahead.

Rolling with Nene/Gooden/Hump... meh... but otherwise you offer a big 1-year contract to someone dissatisfied with being a free agent. Or find D-League or international talent ready to play now.

Did anyone else see Blatche's stats in China? He signed a deal there - I know even thinking about him makes me throw up a little...

Hmmm...Muscala is interesting.  I think he'd get considerably less than Booker.

I came away a bit impressed by his range and size from the Atlanta season. Don't think he's poised to be a star or anything. But he strikes me as a low risk guy to roll the dice on. If you're going to gamble, I'd rather gamble with youth. Nene is likely not going anywhere till the trade deadline AT LEAST, and Humphries is here, so it's not like we absolutely have to rely on him being a starter. But sell him on the notion he'll get the oppertunity and the potential chance to showcase himself.

If he'd demand less than Booker, all the better. We'd probably want to hope Atlanta flames out in the conference finals and he doesn't raise his profile all too much.

I kind of like him as an option

I never saw the reason for that trade either.

The draft class beyond Curry has not really been worthy besides what ? Teague, Lawson, maybe Holiday or can't remember his name right now but the guy Toronto drafted. Obviously excluding Griffin.

Who are the those that had really more value ? They needed a guy to spread the floor...so they went for it. I just don't think those guys were worth trading for.

beyond the 5th pick, players who hold more value and production today then Miller+Foye:

Teague, Holiday, Lawson, Collison, Cassipi, Gibson, Carroll, Jerebko, and Demar (although i'm not a fan of him). And also...Curry. 

So there were good rotation players available, just no foresight to realize it. 

• Like 1

We kinda need to find the diamonds in the rough. A guy who I watched a bit after Karl came to SAC was Derrick Williams. Who for his draft position and salary, is absolutely a bust. 

However, his offensive shooting efficiency blossomed playing in Karl's system. He still cannot rebound worth a damn, which I wonder if is due to playing to Cousins who gets like every ****ing rebound. But I'd offer him a minimum contract, player option for 2nd year. 

Basically what I am banking on is the "John Wall effect" and Williams being privy to it. If he has a surprisingly good '15-'16 season playing next to Wall, when the cap rises in '16 he can make a good amount of long term security. He'd have to be willing to bet on himself. 

I don't know, if Drew Gooden can be salvaged for 20 mins a game, derrick williams should be able to as well. 

I will also give Randy the fact he's made some questionable defenders play better then usual so maybe he can help Williams there. 

Click to read the rest

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/wizards/for-the-promising-wizards-staying-the-course-is-no-longer-enough/2015/05/18/416759a6-fda5-11e4-833c-a2de05b6b2a4_story.html

For the promising Wizards, staying the course is no longer enough

The Wizards have to start looking ahead to where Wall and Beal can really take them, with the right supporting cast. That could require parting ways with either one or both of their front-court players and going with big men with more speed and athleticism.

Washington discovered an effective, small-ball style of play that allowed them to sweep the Toronto Raptors in the first round, but the Hawks exposed the need for more pieces capable of filling out those roles.

“Obviously playing small is successful for us. Playing faster.

Those are the things I want to try to improve this team, moving forward,” Coach Randy Wittman said. “We’ve got to be able to have the pieces to do that in the regular season.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH