Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

There is a lot to like about Jerian Grant's game but I'm not sure I like his upside and I'm also not sure about his upside specifically as a fit for us.  I question his ability to play with Wall.  I think he needs the ball in his hands.  He's a slasher and a facilitator and definitely not a shooter.  His game is similar to Ramon Sessions, and as such, there is definitely a place for him on the team as a 20 MPG back up.  But there are better opportunities in the NBA for him than the Wizards.

Also, he'll be a 23 year old rookie.  The issues with strength and shooting should improve, but at that age, you wonder by how much?

At 19, I want us to go BPA and really swing for some upside.  What I'm hoping for is that Trey Lyles makes it to our pick.

If Portis/Lyles are off the board at 19 (which they probably will be), I think we need to look at a combo guard like Delon Wright or Jerian Grant.  Having a player who can not only share the backcourt with either Beal/Wall, but also spell each of them is HUGE.  If we miss out on landing Portis/Lyles, I think we can address finding a big (or S4) in free agency.  BF floated around some interesting names...Gallo, Anderson, Thad Young, McRoberts....with the 2nd round pick, get a Euro and stash. 

Click to read the rest

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2015/06/05/paul-pierce-sort-of-sounds-like-hes-not-done-with-the-wizards-quite-yet/?postshare=3841433524283747

Paul Pierce sort of sounds like he’s not done with the Wizards quite yet

But Pierce broke his silence this week with an appearance on SiriusXM’s Mad Dog Sports Radio. Pierce told hosts Ben Lyons and Ryan Duffy on “The Players Tribune” show that he’ll be making his decision in the next couple of weeks, but when asked about the end of this season, he sure sounded like a Washington Wizard.

“Man, it was a good run,” Pierce began. “We really have a really good young team, and a couple budding superstars. It was tough. It especially really hurt us when John [Wall] broke his hand. Even though he came back, that really kind of hurt our rhythm, because we [were] playing so well. We felt like we were the better team if we had stayed healthy, but we lost some heartbreaking games.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

John Calipari Tells Colin Cowherd He Has To "Go To Church, Ask For Forgiveness" For His John Wall Criticism

http://collegespun.com/sec/kentucky-sec/kentucky-basketball-john-calipari-tells-colin-cowherd-he-has-to-go-to-church-ask-for-forgiveness-for-his-john-wall-criticism 

• Like 1

I'm bored and you all are better than me when it comes to salary cap stuff...

What would it have took to get Lebron with the Wizards last year? I just want to know lol

Some pictures of him sleeping with Delonte West and a promise to make them all go away by signing a contract.

• Like 1

I'm bored and you all are better than me when it comes to salary cap stuff...

What would it have took to get Lebron with the Wizards last year? I just want to know lol

There's no way you come out of that trade with Wall still on your roster. I would bet Wall and Beal plus multiple first rounders.

LeBron was a free agent last summer.  Cleveland didn't trade for him, he signed there.  He signed for 20.6 million.  IIRC, we were on the hook for something like 48 or 49 million going into the summer, so we didn't have the cap space to sign him.

He signed in Cleveland because it's his home and the team had pretty good pieces in place.  Geography ensured we'd never be as attractive a destination.  But for the purposes of the hypothetical, say he did want to sign here.  To make that happen, we would have had to:

- Dump at least six or seven million in salary (making unbalanced trades to get rid of Andre Miller and Martell Webster's salaries for example)

- Let Ariza walk

- Let Gortat walk

- Let Seraphin walk

- Let Temple walk

- Avoid signing Pierce, Humphries, and Blair

Dumping Webster and Miller's salaries would not have been easy.  I think it'd take first round picks to make it happen, and that's definitely not great.  But moreover, letting Gortat walk would have been terrible.  We'd have been stuck playing Nene at C full time.  We could have still signed Pierce because he was an MLE signing.  But we would have released the cap holds of Gortat, Seraphin, and Ariza, which I'm pretty sure means no TPE for Ariza which means no Humphries and Blair and whoever else we used the money for.  And it wouldn't make much sense to sign Pierce after signing LeBron, especially with Porter on the roster.

Plus playing LeBron and Wall together isn't ideal.  You saw a bit of their redundancy during the All Star game.

The only way to keep Gortat would have been to find a way to dump Nene's salary for an expiring before last season's trade deadline, and I'm not sure how we could have pulled that off.

So, bottom line, even if LeBron had been interested in signing anywhere but Cleveland, he wasn't a great fit in DC.  The Durant situation is a much better fit because of the timing and his play style.

• Like 2

Somehow there are still people out there who think that because he didn't spend a pointless year in college before going pro, that he's a moron.

Yeah it's not like he's Floyd Mayweather.  Lebron is actually known for being scary intelligent and able to recall specifics from meaningless plays from games several years ago.   

Former Bullets coach Dick Motta received a NBA coaching lifetime achievement award last night: http://wpo.st/ZkCL0 

Wizards announce Dez Wells, Brandon Ashley, and Rashad Vaughn will be among 6 players working out for them tomorrow.

Serbian PG Nikola Radicevic, UC Davis G Corey Hawkins and Iona F David Laury are the 3 others.

• Like 1

http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2015/06/12/mock-draft-5-0-picks-11-through-20/

19. Washington Wizards - Bobby Portis, PF ArkansasPortis-e1430231630259.jpg?resize=146%2C2
wizards60-e1429142071957.jpg?resize=100%

Portis is one of the more impressive prospects, and playoff teams in particular have been very impressed with his motor. It’s hard not to look at Portis and see all the potential he has. Several executives I spoke with in Chicago at the combine were gushing over Portis and his competitive streak.

Portis has tremendous length and moves well for his size. Combined with the ability to face up and step out beyond the arc, Portis can be an inside-out threat, and we all know how much NBA teams value stretch fours.

Otto Porter’s growth could impact the Wizards’ thinking, but there’s also the fact that Paul Pierce is not getting any younger and sounded uncertain about his future after Washington’s second-round loss to Atlanta. Adding Portis, who could allow Porter to slide over to SF, could help the Wizards improve even if The Truth retires or goes elsewhere.

Porter’s play in the second round will have a major impact on which need the Wizards choose to address in the draft.