Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Man, I only saw the first half, so I am probably talking about my butt.. But! 

How did Atlanta push Cleveland to OT WITHOUT Horford AND Korver? Do you know what the Wizards probably would have did to the Hawks if they got to play half a game against them without Horford and Korver? Smh...

Just heard Pierce is expected to opt out of his last year and play the final season of his career for the Clippers. Really hope this isn't the case, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Got the same alert just now on my phone.

Damn.

Got the same alert just now on my phone.

Damn.

Well.... on the bright side, this means more playing time for Otto and it will force Ernie to make signing a stretch PF a priority. Pierce helped to show us how this team could be successful, and we should be able to add a decent stretch 4 without harming our cap too much in our pursuit for Durant. 

http://www.nba.com/2015/news/features/david_aldridge/05/25/morning-tip-cleveland-cavaliers-championship-run-kept-in-proper-perspective-future-of-chicago-bulls-washington-wizards-los-angeles-clippers-memphis-grizzlies/index.html

What to do ... What to do?: Washington's main issue is complacency. The Wizards could stand pat if Pierce decides to return to D.C. next season rather than opt out of his deal, but many around the league believe Pierce will do just that and finish his career back home in Los Angeles with the Clippers. Either way, the Wizards need a long-term solution at power forward to go with their electric backcourt of Wall and Beal and the emerging Porter, who was a terrific 3-and-D man during the playoffs and looks ready to claim the small forward spot full time.

Coach Randy Wittman made it clear after his team's six-game loss to the Hawks that he wants a stretch four going forward that would allow Washington to play small ball all season. The Wizards thrived with Pierce at the four and Porter at the three in their first-round rout of the Raptors, but Wittman didn't use that lineup during the regular season because he wanted to save Pierce's legs for the playoffs. Fans in D.C. dream of getting Kevin Durant to return home in 2016, but the Wizards shouldn't be so starry-eyed. They shouldn't wait for the summer of '16, when the new TV deal kicks in and almost every team in the league will have cap space, increasing the number of competitors for any player, including Durant. (Especially Durant.)

They should attack now, and think big. Washington has $20 million in potential trade bait available. Nene's contract expires in '16, and Martell Webster andDeJuan Blair have team options for 2016-17 -- in essence, making their contracts expirings for next season as well. So why not take a run at, say, Kevin Love? The Wizards have all their upcoming picks, including their '15 first-rounder; if they could find a third-team to act as intermediary (Hinkie!!!), a sign-and-trade extravaganza including Nene, Webster, Seraphin -- likely to leave, anyway -- and picks going in some combination to Cleveland and/or Philly could get things rolling.

Only Love knows his true level of frustration with the Cavs, but if he wants to leave, and makes that clear to Cleveland, Washington is a familiar and fond destination. His father Stan played for the Baltimore Bullets in the '70s, and Kevin Love's middle name, Wesley, is in honor of Wes Unseld, the Hall of Fame Bullets center and Stan Love's teammate. If Kevin Love is content in Cleveland or wants to go to Boston, a scenario on which the rumor mill has fixated, the Wizards could make other deals.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH
  • Like 1

That's what I'm saying, I want Durant too but if we have a chance to get Love or Aldridge for example then take it. Gotta go for the sure thing. Although it's unlikely we're in the running for Love or Aldridge.

Considering how we don't know how Durant will return from his foot injury, I would take Aldridge and forego the pursuit of Durant if the option was available. Aldridge may not be as a good a scorer, but he would feel this roster as well as KD and he's also in his prime. 

I don't really care for Love. I wouldn't sign him if it meant no chance at Durant. 

Edited by Gamebreaker
  • Like 1

If we were fortunate enough to have the choice, I'd prefer Love to Aldridge.  Aldridge is a better overall player in a vacuum but it's close between them, and Love's skillset is a better fit for us.  Aldridge is a super wealthy man's version of Nene.  He needs the ball in his hands to do his thing and his strengths don't really overlap with Wall's.  Love is a better in-the-flow scorer and he can shoot threes.  He and Wall would be a much more complimentary tandem.

I actually think Love could be a better fit for us than Durant even though Durant is a much better player.  I don't know if we're better net-net from getting the most talented player or the one who is the best fit.  But if the goal is getting the most synergy out of what we already have, Love is our ideal acquisition.  One of the best things about Love is he could slide in to our locker room and line up without disrupting anything.  Durant would reorganize the whole leadership structure of the team and completely alter the offense.  Either Wall would have to give up the team to Durant.  Or Durant would have to take a back seat to Wall.  Neither of those seem like great options.  Love is a follower personality that'll never demand the ball.  You would only have to worry about keeping him properly utilized, something Wall would have no issue doing.

• Like 1

At this point you have to wait and see on Durant. This is what we've been setting ourselves up for and it makes no sense to forego that now. Yes it's excruciating playing the waiting game but we all knew that.

And as much as I like Pierce, if he don't want to be here then bounce. I don't have time for players who don't want to play here. Treat him just like Ariza.

• Like 2

At this point you have to wait and see on Durant. This is what we've been setting ourselves up for and it makes no sense to forego that now. Yes it's excruciating playing the waiting game but we all knew that.

Yeah, I agree.

We've come this far. We can wait one more year.

Yeah, I agree.

We've come this far. We can wait one more year.

It better work.

Part of me is looking at this years playoffs and thinking we missed a legit shot to go to the finals.

We still have no idea how Durant will look post-surgery. There better be a damn good plan B in place.

It better work.

Part of me is looking at this years playoffs and thinking we missed a legit shot to go to the finals.

We still have no idea how Durant will look post-surgery. There better be a damn good plan B in place.

There is no passing on star players in the NBA.  Look at what happened to the mavs when they took a championship team and dismantled it hoping to land just the big name they wanted.  Squandered Dirk's talent and now it's too late. 

The Wizards have to try to land them all and consider themselves fortunate to get one.  Other teams orchestrate massive trades to jettison talent (and salaries) if they learn a better star wants to play for them, that problem is better than sitting on your hands waiting for just the right guy. 

Try to sign Love, Aldridge, and Durant.  If one of them ends up in a Wizards uniform then job well done.  If Durant wants to come the year after we sign Love or Aldridge, trade Beal away for draft picks and warm wishes to free up cap space.   

• Like 1

Try to sign Love, Aldridge, and Durant.  If one of them ends up in a Wizards uniform then job well done.  If Durant wants to come the year after we sign Love or Aldridge, trade Beal away for draft picks and warm wishes to free up cap space.   

Yeah, the NBA seems to be the one league where you really can buy a championship. The Heat did it. The Lakers did it. There are organically grown teams occasionally (maybe the Spurs), but trades and major free agent deals seem to be the NBA story if you want to be a big winner.

Yeah, the NBA seems to be the one league where you really can buy a championship. The Heat did it. The Lakers did it. There are organically grown teams occasionally (maybe the Spurs), but trades and major free agent deals seem to be the NBA story if you want to be a big winner.

Yankees and Red Sox both pulled off buying Championships. O's tried and failed. Redskins tried and failed.

Dallas, Knicks, and the Bulls to a lesser extent are examples of what happens when you sit on space expecting to lure a star.

Situation is different for us because we have young stars that won't plateau for several more years.  Even if we whiff on every big FA for the next two years, we'll still have Wall and Beal.  The four man core of our roster is already good enough to contend in the East for the next four seasons.  Signing Durant is a luxury move.  It makes us go from annual contender for the next five years to annual favorite that is expected to win multiple rings.  Regardless, the foundation is pretty much set, so we're not in a position where we're looking to sign foundation pieces like the three teams you mentioned were.

Also, signing the right guy is more important than anything else.  The guy needs to be a fit that won't break up our foundation.  We need to be very selective about how we spend the rest of our cap space.

Plus Wall's unique friendship with DeMarcus Cousins is something of a failsafe.  Worst case scenario: we don't sign anyone big, contend for several years with Wall, Beal, Porter, and Gortat, and then become favorites to sign Cousins once he controls his fate.  That's not so bad.

Wizards aren't contenders in the east with the current roster. The Cavs are better and the full strength Pacers might be too. Truth is the wizards are in the pack with Atlanta, Toronto, and Chicago. The friggin bucks are also going to be a concern in a few years too as their young players have massive upside.

If the wizards want to be contenders they have to add some major scoring talent.

What Steve says about Love is true, he's a passive player who doesn't need the ball in his hands and can be another weapon for Wall to utilize. But then we'll have another situation where we don't have another player who can create their own shot, or be a go-to scoring threat to close out a close game. Beal is getting there, but he still isn't that player. 

An Aldridge or Durant can be that player for us. We don't want this team to completely fall apart if Wall is injured. We need another big name that can carry this team if we need him to.