Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

All... spoken like a striker.

Cheers.

you got that right I speak like a striker.  Given I've played mid field too but yeah I am a striker.  I know what its like to do everything right and not get rewarded for it.  Heck sometimes in your head you see the ball and goal and tell yourself this one is going in and something fluky happens.  Like this year when I had a mid season drought for a few games (Had nice assists,runs,etc).  I went around all the defenseman in the box and the goalie went down.  I ended up climbing over defenders and the keeper trying to get to the ball went got loose from me.  All I see the ball a yard ffrom the line and the goal wide open.  The ones of the defenders on the ground stuck his foot out and tripped me to stop me from getting it. I went flying into the goal and my teammate behind me got a easy one. That's what's in Altidore's head right now.  He keeps trying so hard that it actually kind of hurts him.  He plays his best when the game flows for him not when he's trying to do too much.  That's how strikers work.  The game doesn't flow through us.  We flow with the game and thus why it's a position that gets so much freedom.  Never have I heard a teammate tell me he wants me follow a certain way.  Why?  Because strikers adjust on their own because they read the game.  Defenders and striker are not so different.  Both read the game before it happens.  Mid fielders read the game as it goes and build upon what they see.  Defenders and Strikers go by what they see and what others don't see.  They do that because in both cases a goal can happen whether it be a goal because a defender didn't see it or a goal because the striker did see it.  This may not completely make sense to some but I bet GHH gets what I'm saying here.

I guess I don't see what the big deal with Costa is, never wowed by his play and I really don't want his chemistry, or "alchemy," on the club.

Well being as the buy out clause has been met, he's passed his medical and is in contract negotiations with Chelsea; you're about to find out for better or worse what the 'deal' is with Costa.

I personally believe you're adding that elusive 20 goal or so a season man you've lacked since Drogba and he instantly becomes the best forward on the books. Great signing

That said, I hope I'm DEAD wrong and you're spot on with Chelsea wasting £ 32 million and all the wages.

Hail.

you got that right I speak like a striker.  Given I've played mid field too but yeah I am a striker.  I know what its like to do everything right and not get rewarded for it.  Heck sometimes in your head you see the ball and goal and tell yourself this one is going in and something fluky happens.  Like this year when I had a mid season drought for a few games (Had nice assists,runs,etc).  I went around all the defenseman in the box and the goalie went down.  I ended up climbing over defenders and the keeper trying to get to the ball went got loose from me.  All I see the ball a yard ffrom the line and the goal wide open.  The ones of the defenders on the ground stuck his foot out and tripped me to stop me from getting it. I went flying into the goal and my teammate behind me got a easy one. That's what's in Altidore's head right now.  He keeps trying so hard that it actually kind of hurts him.  He plays his best when the game flows for him not when he's trying to do too much.  That's how strikers work.  The game doesn't flow through us.  We flow with the game and thus why it's a position that gets so much freedom.  Never have I heard a teammate tell me he wants me follow a certain way.  Why?  Because strikers adjust on their own because they read the game.  Defenders and striker are not so different.  Both read the game before it happens.  Mid fielders read the game as it goes and build upon what they see.  Defenders and Strikers go by what they see and what others don't see.  They do that because in both cases a goal can happen whether it be a goal because a defender didn't see it or a goal because the striker did see it.  This may not completely make sense to some but I bet GHH gets what I'm saying here.

Don't you think kilnsmann knows all of this? Better than probably 99.9% of the people in this world. He even touched on this exact topic during the road to brazil documentary on espn.

Half of the battle with jozy is he isn't getting the service to put him in scoring positions. Sure, he is still getting chances, but nothing like he was in 2013. Jozy is a hold up striker, he is not the type of player that can continuously create opportunities for himself like Dempsey or johannsen. He is reliant on his services. When he does get opportunities though, he is a good finisher. If we can get him some more looks up top, I'm confident that he will come through. And the biggest thing, klinsi believes that he can fight through this slump and get back to the form that we saw last year. And frankly, no offense to you all, but I will take klinnsmans analysis of jozy over anyone on this board. I mean, let's face it, he's watched jozy play more in the last week than any of us have over his entire career.

I like Can's youth, flexibility in positions of need, and pedigree.

Lambert at striker, Lallana and Can at midfield, and Moreno at left back would be one heck of an opening to the window.

I know little about the LB, but an English midfielder who's nothing special for a ridiculous fee; an inexperienced squad midfielder and an ageing, cheap squad forward isn't my idea a heck of an opening to our business but each to their own.

Strong rumour Cesc is Chelsea bound. That wouldn't be money/ salary related at all right?

man **** this friendlies....if Ox has a torn ACL....YEESH

10-21 days. You got lucky.

I can't believe this was just glossed over...

Is there any other sporting event with so many beautiful women? Just another reason to love the World Cup!

There's one reason to watch Beazilian games and it most assuredly isn't for the sterile, negative play of Big Phils un-Beazilian like team .....

Say word? .....

I'll give you 2: Nuri Sahin.

Fool me twice .....,

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

I can't believe this was just glossed over...

Is there any other sporting event with so many beautiful women? Just another reason to love the World Cup!

This for you to keep you waiting until next week. I would advise Ribery and Benzema to be careful some girls down there are not what they are supposed to be.

• Like 3

I'll give you 2: Nuri Sahin.

Fool me twice .....,

Hail.

Oh leave it out. You were the same negative nellie at the begining of last season, too.

Don't be so dramatic, brother.  He doesn't need to come in and be a difference maker immediately... he just needs to come in and put those beautiful crosses in towards Sturridge and Suarez and then play some outstanding defense, like in the video.        

Now, I will join you if the Lallana deal goes through at anything more than 18 mil or so.

and we need depth there too.

lallana's price, as reported, is inflated. but with manc, manu, chelsea, etc set to spend like crazy, anyone of value will be overpriced. i'm not sure if football manager is anything like madden, but we're not going to be able to grab all-stars at each position of need at even reasonable prices. we'll either need to pony up serious fees (unlikely, i think) or get used to taking some risks with "mid-priced" (in the new reality of over-inflated fees) players that are either up and coming or on the wrong side of their peak but with game left.

honestly, this is why i said that liverpool wasn't a mega club- those in power at anfield aren't going to spend like drunken sailors to fill holes in the squad with sure-bet, all-world upgrades. they are going to have to gamble with a smaller budget and hope they strike silver(ware).

Oh leave it out. You were the same negative nellie at the begining of last season, too.

Don't be so dramatic, brother. He doesn't need to come in and be a difference maker immediately... he just needs to come in and put those beautiful crosses in towards Sturridge and Suarez and then play some outstanding defense, like in the video.

Now, I will join you if the Lallana deal goes through at anything more than 18 mil or so.

So you're basing this off a YouTube highlight cut-up?

What would you rather have? More of the same or improved quality to take last season on?

Hail.

What would you rather have? More of the same or improved quality to take last season on?

Hail.

I will say that Rodgers has gotten it right more often than he has gotten it wrong. His biggest misses were on the bargain shopping players like Assaidi and Aspas. I have faith that he will assemble a team that will compete in the BPL and Champion's League.

Nuri Sahin is good, Rogers didnt use him right.

or he didn't fit the system…depending upon your prospective

I don't care what he costs as long as he helps the team win!

Edited by jobaga

Just to chip in on the Fabergas to Chelsea rumours - I'd be surprised personally. I don't see how he would fit into their system (he is not a holding midfield player and he's not a number 10 for me either) and I don't see Jose changing that. Arsenal are using the same system as Chelsea and have apparently waived the right of first refusal clause they had in the contract for the sale of to Barca - presumably for the same reason.

Liverpool or Man U would be the best fits from a system point of view.

Edited by MartinC
  • Like 1

Hail.

that's all I have.  :lol:

I don't care what he costs as long as he helps the team win!

Don't leave Cissokho and Toure off that list.  I think Kolo had more own goals than Stevie had non-pen goals.

I got into this argument with my brother over the weekend.

Would you rather have Lallana at 26 or Fabragas at 30? If we could get Cesc I would get Cesc.

If you are going to spend the money get impact guys. I think that's what GHH is getting at. But for a guy like Can this is a low risk/high reward signing and I'm fine with it.

right, but if Fabragas, as a big name that is a safe-bet upgrade, is getting wooed by the big-spending teams, are we going to be able to afford him? Fabragas, to me, would be a no-brainer, but even if we do pony up and match other clubs' offers, he would also then have to choose us over the other big boys.

DC- did your brother choose Lallana in that argument? Why? Youth factor?

I'm not against the German-Turk per se for the record. As inexperienced and raw as he is, he has potential and may develop into a decent Premier League player. (He looks totally wrong to me for the English game but time will tell on that.).

But that's all your adding. Potential. Borini, Aspas and Alberto to name but three similar priced, similar quality players. Squad players. Throw in Llanana at 20 plus million and that's over 30 million on nothing special at all. When we SHOULD be looking at adding two or three top class talents to better the side.

Adding more similar quantity rather than quality is more of the same we've done more or less consistently through the Premier League era and have reaped the same consistent, averagely mediocre results from it.

I'm SICK of average mediocrity. (Last season not withstanding.).

Hail.

*Edit* And yeah, Nuri Sahin is the best analogy from most every standpoint. Nationality. Upbringing. Style of player et all.

How'd that one work out?

GHH- what three positions would you upgrade with that elite talent? who would you target specifically and how much do you think that would cost the team?

(serious question- not trying to bait you into anything)

A top quality centre half for one. And if I was going to splash big on a full back, I'd be looking at someone more established than the Spanish kid.

Fabregas is a prime example. If he's seriously leaving Barca for 30 million then he shoul be at the top of our list. You may not get him. But he's the type of good aged World Class talent at 27 that is a ready made replacement for Gerrard and would augment him for the next year or two. (Arsenal have said they won't be exercising their first refusal right by the way so that's another competitor out of the running.). But we'd rather spend the vast majority of that on a good but nothing special player from Southampton.

We had a totally surprising, totally awesome season last year when most everything went in our favour. This year, with Europe and probably not being as lucky injury wise, it most likely won't. City will spend big. Chelsea will spend big (Costa to start.). If I say to you you've a 60 million budget, I'd rather you buy two World class players and their salary than a bunch of 10 million average players to full the squad out with.

That's not progression. That's more of the same.

Hail.