Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Belgium’s blueprint for their world cup team. 

Belgium’s emergence as one of the strongest nations in world football has exceeded all expectations. A country with a population of only 11m, with just 34 professional clubs competing across two leagues, has produced – and there are no reservations in Belgium about using this term because it is widely accepted as the only description befitting of their talent pool.

It's a little lengthy, but worth it if you want to gain insight as to why the US doesn't produce guys like Lukaku or Hazard or Januzaj. The basis of the solutions aren't complex—there's just a lack of willingness with the Federation and stakeholders to really change things.
Edited by Elessar78

Belgium’s blueprint that gave birth to a golden generation

It's a little lengthy, but worth it if you want to gain insight as to why the US doesn't produce guys like Lukaku or Hazard or Januzaj. The basis of the solutions aren't complex—there's just a lack of willingness with the Federation and stakeholders to really change things.

Nothing against Belgium or their players but let's wait and see them in a tourny before they're golden. Januzaj has world class potential but he's not there yet.

You don't have to see them in a tourney to know that they're quality, hence why  they're on major european sides. Don't get stuck on "golden generation" and focus on the how they got their players to be that good in a short period of time from such a small population. 

• Like 1

Lalas was a bad manager but he brings up a lot of good points about what you said and posted, elasser.  He talks about it all of the time.

We had a lot of the same issues with our hockey teams in the 70's before Herb Brooks took over. 

You don't have to see them in a tourney to know that they're quality, hence why they're on major european sides. Don't get stuck on "golden generation" and focus on the how they got their players to be that good in a short period of time from such a small population.

A "golden generation" is Spain and Germany of recent years, Portugal's class of 1992 with Figo and Rui Costa, Giggs, Scholes and Beckham coming out of the same academy class, etc...Not one Belgian players is on this level yet so let's give them a chance to get there.

You didn't read the article did you? You're fixated on "golden generation" but the article isn't about trophies won. I don't even know if the Belgian guys in the article used the term themselves—just the author. So, again, it's about their player development model. 

Your examples are porous anyway. Germany hasn't won anything. Portugal didn't win anything. Scholes and Beckham ceertainly didn't win anything for England. Figo was certainly elite, but Rui Costa isn't better than Hazard or Kompany.

Rui Costa was absolutely elite but he didn't play for one of the big clubs that all but sent special op team to Florence to kidnap him so he didn't get the recognition he deserves. If Hazard continues on the path he's on he'll be at Rui Costa's level. Smaller countries like Romania and Croatia have produced some fantastic players (and actually did something in a tournament) in the past so it's not something out of the ordinary. I'll be rooting for Belgium as long as they're not playing Argentina or England and they deserve a lot of credit for the way they've turned their football around but the hype is out of control at the moment. I can see them living up to it if for no other reason than they'll be incredibly hard to score against.

They also reached the Euro semi finals twice and at their twilight went to a World Cup semi final. Other than Rui Costa and Figo, the latter of which no current Belgian player will likely ever match, you had Paulo Sousa who was an underrated but excellent defensive midfielder that was a key cog for Dortmund and Juventus, (two powerhouses in the mid 90's) Fernando Couto was one of the best center backs in Europe for a period and Joao Pinto, who in today's climate would have got the heck out of the Portuguese league and made a name for himself in one of the big European clubs. The Belgians have some potential to fulfill before they're mentioned in the same breath with some of these names.

Edited by SJValleySkinz

What we reckon for the world cup so lads?

My prediction...

Winners: Argentina

Runner Up: Germany

Golden Boot: Aguero

Player of the Tournament: Messi

I'm fully convinced this is the year Messi puts Argentina on his back and takes them to the final at least. If he wants to be in the conversation for the greatest ever he has to deliver. 

Personally think Spain have too many players passing their prime. The likes of Xavi and Iniesta aren't the same players as they were 4 years ago and I have worries about their central defence.

Sneaky feeling Germany will beat Brazil in the semi's. Few question marks on that Brazil team for me especially in the centre of midfield. Germany just have the quality all over really. 

Just can't wait for it now!

This Belgian generation is great.

Apart from that Mingolet fella' .....

It's funny, I know a good few Belgians (top lads) who come over regularly for matches and they all speak better Scouse than me basically because their first introduction to English was coming over to Liverpool. 

Hail. 

My prediction...

I'm fully convinced this is the year Messi puts Argentina on his back and takes them to the final at least. If he wants to be in the conversation for the greatest ever he has to deliver. 

Personally think Spain have too many players passing their prime. The likes of Xavi and Iniesta aren't the same players as they were 4 years ago and I have worries about their central defence.

Sneaky feeling Germany will beat Brazil in the semi's. Few question marks on that Brazil team for me especially in the centre of midfield. Germany just have the quality all over really. 

Pick one from Argentina, Brazil, Italy and Spain. 

I'll go with Argentina too but I wouldn't be surprised to see either Spain retain or Brazil, as poor as they are, win out on home soil. 

As regards the Europeans you have to give Spain and Italy the edge as they acclimatised to the humidity last summer. 

Is the tournament when the best player of our generation becomes the greatest of all time by dominating for Argentina like that other #10 did in '86?

England to be home after 3 games. 

Just finished watching HIllsborough. Would highly recommend. 

Appalling what happened when police statements were altered and the truth was hidden for so long. 

The ESPN 30 for 30?

I still need to catch that and put myself through it. Heard nottin' but good things and glad the truth is finally being told to the American public. 

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

My prediction...

I've had Argentina for a long time for that same reason. They have been their own worst enemy for so long but if Aguero and Di Maria are on their game you basically have three unplayable players. I also have a hunch that France make it to the last 4 and Paul Pogba makes me hate life even more. Every time I see him play my blood boils.

Apart from that Mingolet fella' .....

It's funny, I know a good few Belgians (top lads) who come over regularly for matches and they all speak better Scouse than me basically because their first introduction to English was coming over to Liverpool.

Hail.

He'll see as much playing time as you and I will barring injury. Their defense is going to incredibly hard to crack but I think against the big boys their midfield gets neutralized and Hazard and Lukaku become isolated. If Hazard plays out of his socks they have a chance against the traditional powers.

Rui Costa was absolutely elite but he didn't play for one of the big clubs that all but sent special op team to Florence to kidnap him so he didn't get the recognition he deserves.....

Agreeing with everything you rightly said about Portugal and the current Belgium crop bar the above. 

5 years at AC Milan as a regular and a European cup win ..... recognition doesn't get much bigger than that.

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

Agreeing with everything you rightly said about Portugal and the current Belgium crop bar the above.

5 years at AC Milan as a regular and a European cup win ..... recognition doesn't get much bigger than that.

Hail.

He was a genius in his prime. Imagine if he would have spent some of those years at Milan instead of Fiorentina.

He was a genius in his prime. Imagine if he would have spent some of those years at Milan instead of Fiorentina.

I hear ya' man and I agree. Top draw playmaker who was up there with ANY midfielder in the World through his playing days. Benfica and Fiorentina where somewhat wasted years. 

Just saying he had a real good spell in Milan and it doesn't get much bigger than that. 

Hail.