Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

9ers isn't far off, but I'd throw the skins in there too. Dominant for a stretch, and then mostly toiling in mediocrity for the last 20 years. Might be a bit harsh on the reds there...

Not when you consider the last time Liverpool won the League and the last time Washington the SB was the same season.

Although when you through in the Champions League, the only sporting event on the planet that compares to a one off SB; them they have been to 2 of the last 10 and become only the third club to actually own one that glorious night by the Bosphorous in 2005.

Hail.

I'm pretty sure the Nets met Arsenal as well during that tour.

But I made that assessment just from what I've seen around. All the black soccer fans I know are predominantly Arsenal fans and I think Spike Lee and a few other celebrities are gooners as well

Also, from the good ol eye test (kits I see around), Man U and Arsenal might be the top two clubs in America

I see a few Pool and Chelsea shirts tho

Chelsea and the Nets are both owned by Russian billionaires, not too much of a shock that they would arrange a meet and greet between the two teams...

I have noticed that Arsenal seems to be the club of choice for hipsters. I don't know if any of the gunners on this board will find this observation offensive…I do not mean for it to be an insult, it's just what I see.

I do like the idea of getting a different type of striker for a specialized role. I would not like it if he was the first striker off the bench (to use a basketball term), but if Liverpool needs to play more direct and want to bring to Lambert to change style I am fine with it. I just don't want this to count as one of their big signings. On a side note, you know Lambert will play his heart out for his boyhood club.

Andy Carroll.

He didn't fit what Rodgers wants but Lambert will?

Now don't get me wrong, Lamberts far better on the deck than Andy, but ostensibly I don't see much difference in the two overall.

I shall reserve judgement until the windows moves are over of course; but I personally don't like the message this first move sends out.

Hail.

Um the Pacers haven't won **** like ever. The Packers are fine tho

Except the Orioles have what like 2 titles?

Liverpool is wayyy more successful than the O's are.

I thought about the Mavericks but I'm not sure Arsenal and Mavs go well. 

Edited by RichmondRedskin88

Andy Carroll.

He didn't fit what Rodgers wants but Lambert will?

Now don't get me wrong, Lamberts far better on the deck than Andy, but ostensibly I don't see much difference in the two overall.

I shall reserve judgement until the windows moves are over of course; but I personally don't like the message this first move sends out.

Hail.

Two major differences:

1. 35 million vs 4 million

2. AC was brought in to be the focal point of the team. Lambert will be a change of tactics option off the bench.

The addition of Lambert makes this team flexible and multidimensional. I don't expect him to start many games, but he can be a great sub when Liverpool needs to become more direct.

Two major differences:

1. 35 million vs 4 million

2. AC was brought in to be the focal point of the team. Lambert will be a change of tactics option off the bench.

The addition of Lambert makes this team flexible and multidimensional. I don't expect him to start many games, but he can be a great sub when Liverpool needs to become more direct.

Yeah, the fees a major difference but player wise there's little. 

If Lambert could be a change of tactics why couldn't Carroll be? This is an Everton move. 

We aren't Everton. 

_________________________________________________________________________________

The English starting Xi for tonights friendly with Peru is widely expected to be as near as damn it to what starts against Italy in the WC for anyone interested. 

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

Do you think Roy will play not to lose? Or do you think he will actually put out an attacking squad?

Yeah, the fees a major difference but player wise there's little. 

If Lambert could be a change of tactics why couldn't Carroll be? This is an Everton move. 

We aren't Everton. 

_________________________________________________________________________________

The English starting Xi for tonights friendly with Peru is widely expected to be as near as damn it to what starts against Italy in the WC for anyone interested. 

Hail. 

I think Carroll wasn't healthy or mature enough. Plus, with a big fee comes big expectations. I think it was best for everyone involved for big Andy to move on…But, you are exactly right. AC would be better than Lambert in that role. I think there were too many non-soccer related factors.

Hey j, don't get me wrong, I aren't bemoaning Carroll leaving in any stretch. Nice guy but he should never of been signed to begin with and ultimately he had to leave. And I aren't dead against Lambert. He's an honest pro and it's always great to have local lads in the side and minimal fee lessons it. 

I just see little difference overall in what both bring (although Lamberts a better player with a ball at his feet); and if one doesn't fit why would the other? For a club that's just finished runners-up and are looking to kick-on both domestically and in Europe this sends out a backward signal to me. 

But again, I shall reserve full judgement until the windows shut and the moves in and out have been made. 

FWIW, most of my friends are down with the move but then there's the local factor to weigh in there too from them and Ricky.

Hail 

I just see little difference overall in what both bring (although Lamberts a better player with a ball at his feet); and if one doesn't fit why would the other? For a club that's just finished runners-up and are looking to kick-on both domestically and in Europe this sends out a backward signal to me.

I think it shows an evolution for BR. He understands that he may have to switch up and play direct. That was his big growth from year 1 to year 2. His first year, BR wanted to play his style and all cost. This year Rodgers would adapt his tactics and formations to suit the game. He did a great job of adapting this year. Every game except Chelsea. I think bringing in a target man and playing more direct is the way Liverpool will play when Chelsea tries to park the bus next year. Get ready for some ugly, physical games next year...

Having suffered the monotonous tedium of Hodgson's brand of football more than most in here, I presume the above is rhetorical? ;)

Hail.

More like hopeful for the English contingent on the board... Edited by jobaga

GHH,

Have you heard anything over there on if Shaqiri is going to happen or not?

26 mil for Lallana kind of ends that dream.

By all accounts Lambert is predicated to a further Lallana/ Lovern deal. 

'Steep' isn't the word. There's an English 'premium' and there's out right stupidity. He's a tidy player but nothing special for me. Did he even reach double figures last year from midfield? He's worth NOTHING like that. Same with Luke Shaw who Utd have already reportedly had £ 27 million turned down for. Real promising player. But that's all he is. Potential. Neither player is anything like a 20 million plus talent. 

There's having money. And there's how you spend it. We've gone through MORE than enough windows now of blowing money filling out the squad with over priced, under talented players who end up leaving for a pittance of what we paid. We need real quality additions. Not just quantity for the sake of it. 

If Lallana's the first of the 'big' splashes this summer we're in for more of the same. (And just WTF he sees in Lovern is beyond me.). 

Hail. 

• Like 1

Maybe there's something to not buying English players simply on the basis of them being English. City and Chelsea are much more selective in this department and they both seem to be doing alright.

Ashley Young and Phil Jones should not have cost more than Arturo Vidal.

• Like 1

Sorry about McDermot mate. So much for loyalty.

From one disaster to another for you lads.

Hail.

He was a class act off the field in terms of how he related to the fans and what he put up with off the field. He is well thought of as a person by Leeds fans and will get a warm reception if he comes back to Elland Road with another team. To be honest though,even allowing for all the crap he had to put up with around the old owners, the sale and then being a walking dead man once Cellino bought the club he STILL deserved to be sacked for the on field performances.

Some of it was down to the mediocre and unbalanced squad he was left ny Warnock (who will NOT get a warm welcome if he ever sets foot in Elland Road again). But he never settled on his best 11 or even best formation and some of the performances were just unacceptable - losing 6 - 0 as a Leeds manager to Sheffield Wed would get just about anyone the sack. We played with a back 4, a back 3, we used a diamond in midfield, wing backs, wingers (well sort of), 2 up top, 1 up top, even 3 up top. It was just a mess.

Of the players he brought in only Smith and Murphy worked out - the rest just were poor and just added to a wage bill which has the club losing £1M a month.

Who knows what happens next though. It might actually get worse before it gets better. If it gets better .....

Edited by MartinC

Qatar World Cup: '£3m payments to officials' corruption claim

Fifa is facing fresh allegations of corruption over its controversial decision to award the 2022 World Cup to Qatar.

The Sunday Times  has obtained millions of secret documents - emails, letters and bank transfers - which it alleges are proof that the disgraced Qatari football official Mohamed Bin Hammam made payments totalling US$5m (£3m) to football officials in return for their support for the Qatar bid.

Qatar 2022 and Bin Hammam have always strenuously denied the former Fifa vice-president actively lobbied on their behalf in the run-up to the vote in December 2010...........

I think the real bribery will go far above the £3 millions. Blatter and his minions should go to jail.

Qatar World Cup: '£3m payments to officials' corruption claim

Fifa is facing fresh allegations of corruption over its controversial decision to award the 2022 World Cup to Qatar.

The Sunday Times  has obtained millions of secret documents - emails, letters and bank transfers - which it alleges are proof that the disgraced Qatari football official Mohamed Bin Hammam made payments totalling US$5m (£3m) to football officials in return for their support for the Qatar bid.

Qatar 2022 and Bin Hammam have always strenuously denied the former Fifa vice-president actively lobbied on their behalf in the run-up to the vote in December 2010...........

I think the real bribery will go far above the £3 millions. Blatter and his minions should go to jail.

This is just confirmation of what everyone already knew - it will get swept under the rug in the reception area at FIFA headquarters. It's bound to be a big and very expensive rug. Probably a gift from Qatar.

It's a disgrace though and there should be some kind of criminal investigation. If I was one of the other Countries that bid - which is a very expensive process - I'd be suing FIFA right now for my bid costs back.

• Like 2

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/05/31/fabian-espindola-overcomes-illness-comes-big-again-dc-united-sporting-kc-win

Not a bad game from DCU against a weakened Sporting KC side last night.  Definitely lucked out not having to play them with Zusi or Beesler. 

A PHENOMINAL effort from Espindola, once again.  His goal was #1 on Sportscenter this morning, so that was pretty cool.  2nd on the table with a game in hand still.