Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

I would of said goalkeeper along with full back and centre half where it not for some close Belgium friends that give me pause. Apparently Mingolet had a LOT of off field problems last year that never came out (these lads often travel over with his father to games); and they all rate him as highly as Coutouis so who knows? Maybe the second season he'll start to show quality instead of last seasons ineptness.

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

I wish I heard Utd up to something.  Haven't heard much since the Robben/Kroos rumor.  I'd be down with having Cesc.  If Muller indeed joins you have to think hernandez is out.

With both Citeh and Arsenal out of the running you'd be darn foolish NOT to go for Fabregas. 

Hail. 

Don't leave Cissokho and Toure off that list.  I think Kolo had more own goals than Stevie had non-pen goals.

I didn't list either because one was free and the other was a loan, so there wasn't much invested in either.

GHH- what three positions would you upgrade with that elite talent? who would you target specifically and how much do you think that would cost the team?

(serious question- not trying to bait you into anything)

Leftback- Liverpool is rumored to have bid 16 million for Moreno

Attacking Midfielder- should cost in the 20-30 million range

Creative Winger- 15-25 million (don't need world class, just a shade below)

A top quality centre half for one. And if I was going to splash big on a full back, I'd be looking at someone more established than the Spanish kid.

I'm surprised you didn't list Right back as you have made your feelings for Johnson pretty clear. I think Centerback will get filled from within. Either Ilori, Wisdom or Kelly will step up.

Just to chip in on the Fabergas to Chelsea rumours - I'd be surprised personally. I don't see how he would fit into their system (he is not a holding midfield player and he's not a number 10 for me either) and I don't see Jose changing that. Arsenal are using the same system as Chelsea and have apparently waived the right of first refusal clause they had in the contract for the sale of to Barca - presumably for the same reason.

Liverpool or Man U would be the best fits from a system point of view.

I agree. I don't see how Cesc would fit when Mata couldn't. Neither are exceptionally fast or defensive minded. 

I would of said goalkeeper along with full back and centre half where it not for some close Belgium friends that give me pause. Apparently Mingolet had a LOT of off field problems last year that never came out (these lads often travel over with his father to games); and they all rate him as highly as Coutouis so who knows? Maybe the second season he'll start to show quality instead of last seasons ineptness.

Hail.

As long as it's not from 25 yards out and about 35 degrees from goal Mignolet is going to stop it more often than not. 

I'm surprised you didn't list Right back as you have made your feelings for Johnson pretty clear. I think Centerback will get filled from within. Either Ilori, Wisdom or Kelly will step up......

I wasn't going into specifics but if you are then yeah, we could do with one if not two full backs, and the same in the middle. The whole defence needs SERIOUSLY upgrading.

Llori is a complete unknown quantity. Kelly is never fit and it's time to move on. Wisdom and Flannagan have shown real promise but are they ready to step up over a season? Ralf Coates just hasn't kicked on at all an he needs off loading back to Uruguay.

Agger looks like he's done. Skrtel continues to be a liability to me. And Sakho was pretty darn woeful last year. I'd still like to develop him, the potential is there; but he doesn't need to be starting. Both full back areas are a continued mess. Neither Enrique nor the abysmal Johnson can defend to save their lives. Kind of a staple for the position. And the amount of times they get caught out of position and put the whole team under pressure negates anything good they may do up the other end.

The back end is a complete mess and needs serious attention. Although great and exciting to watch, this 'you score 5, we'll score 6' attitude is going to ultimately win you nothing.

Hail.

• Like 1

Personally, here is what I'd do- depending on funds...

Two defenders... One center, one wing back with actual defensive chops. One a big fee one a middling fee.

Two midfielders... One holding, one attacking. One big fee, one middling.

One forward.... Complimentary to SAS in skills. Middling fee.

My fees are $30m for big fees and $10m for middling... That has a window of $90m. Honestly I don't think we spend that much. Maybe if we sell some players.

GHH- I agree that 3 big signings are Bette than 6 middling ones, but we do need decent bodies for Europe. This gives us 5 players (2 big and 3 contributors) for the price of 3 big signings.

• Like 1

So a rumor that we are in on Shaqiri.  I digs it.

That was who I really wanted.62133.3.jpg

I mean...

What says "DC9 is a great American" like this face?

Nothing.

Edited by DC9

Personally, here is what I'd do- depending on funds...

Two defenders... One center, one wing back with actual defensive chops. One a big fee one a middling fee.

Two midfielders... One holding, one attacking. One big fee, one middling.

One forward.... Complimentary to SAS in skills. Middling fee.

My fees are $30m for big fees and $10m for middling... That has a window of $90m. Honestly I don't think we spend that much. Maybe if we sell some players.

It's all about bang for buck (as a lot of us were talking about in Redskins FA... why not Byrd? but I digress).

I don't think Lallana is a long term answer for Stevie, but Shaqiri could be.  Outside of that we should be investing heavily in defense. 

That's how I would've approached this.

Unlike GHH and jo, I like Skrtel.  Outside of rare circumstances, he was really good unless Agger was in there to mess him up. 

That said, he is getting up there now.  Maybe two good seasons left.  And we need an upgrade back there.  The attack and midfield deserve it, and god damn if the fans don't.

Edited by DC9

if we grab a legit center fullback this window, it'll allow us to mix and match (or sub as needed) with skrtel, agger, and sakho. none are the top-flight option we need in the back, but paired with one, might provide the depth and flexibility needed to handle europe. it's our only hope, as i don't see rodgers breaking the bank for two first-class center fullbacks.

another option at wingback for depth (moreno?), and our defense is better with room to grow. that Can can (ha!) play holding mid and wingback, from reports, gives us more flexibility. add a legit midfielder, another for depth (getting greedy), and things are getting there.

we can't fully build a european quality roster in a single window. we have to grow wisely, yet quickly to use the momentum that we have. a mixed eye for the here and now and one for the future. all without the purse of a sheik. hopefully they find oil beneath fenway...

I have 2 free tickets to today's double header game at fedex field first game Spain vs El Salvador and then DC United vs Crew. First person to text me at 301-461-9266. I am in Ellicott city Md. You would have to come here to pick up the tickets, I am leaving at 3pm. My friends couldn't go and I don't want them to go to waste. Just buy me a beer at the game:)

DCU vs. Crewe? SERIOUSLY?The 'mighty' Crewe Alexandra are in DC on a what, end of season piss up thats weeks after the seasons ended? Wow. What happened to local friendlies against Nantwich and the like?

And anyone getting to see that Spanish team live JUMP on it. 

Hail. 

*Edit* WAIT! He meant Columbus Crew right? :unsure: Ignore the non-American and carry on like I was never here. 

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?

That narrows it down .....

Hail. 

DCU vs. Crewe? SERIOUSLY?The 'mighty' Crewe Alexandra are in DC on a what, end of season piss up thats weeks after the seasons ended? Wow. What happened to local friendlies against Nantwich and the like?

And anyone getting to see that Spanish team live JUMP on it. 

Hail. 

*Edit* WAIT! He meant Columbus Crew right? :unsure: Ignore the non-American and carry on like I was never here. 

That narrows it down .....

Hail. 

Not sure I'd be willing to go see El Salvador play in the DC area. 

Watching "One Night in Turin" right now.  Very interesting so far.

So a rumor that we are in on Shaqiri.  I digs it.

That was who I really wanted.62133.3.jpg

I mean...

What says "DC9 is a great American" like this face?

Nothing.

I ask what I asked the Sky guy interviewing Jan Agge Fjortfot way back when asking what I thought ...... 'Like who the **** are yer fella' again?' 

Seriously, who?

Hail. 

BTW... I've read that Shaqiri is all but done? :wub:

I ask what I asked the Sky guy interviewing Jan Agge Fjortfot way back when asking what I thought ...... 'Like who the **** are yer fella' again?' 

Seriously, who?

Hail. 

We had this same conversation abut Coutinho.  Trust in your baby brother, big guy.  I'm not always just the cute one.

• Like 1

Not sure I'd be willing to go see El Salvador play in the DC area. 

Watching "One Night in Turin" right now.  Very interesting so far.

Ask me sometime about the Champions League quarter final in 2005 in Turin and GHH and 3 of his compadres emerging through the smoke of rioting Juve fans with the Carabinieri in a screaming taxi and then legging it to great cheers to our section having caught the Juve fans off guard thanks to our mad Taxi driver who thought it prudent to drop us as close to the ground as he could by tearing through the carnage screaming abuse and throwing all manner of hand signals whilst telling us Torino rules Turin. 

Now THAT was a night in Turin to tell the grandkids.  :lol:

Hail. 

• Like 1

Ask me sometime about the Champions League quarter final in 2005 in Turin and GHH and 3 of his compadres emerging through the smoke of rioting Juve fans with the Carabinieri in a screaming taxi and then legging it to great cheers to our section having caught the Juve fans off guard thanks to our mad Taxi driver who thought it prudent to drop us as close to the ground as he could by tearing through the carnage screaming abuse and throwing all manner of hand signals whilst telling us Torino rules Turin. 

Now THAT was a night in Turin to tell the grandkids.  :lol:

Hail. 

Haha, jealousy doesn't begin to describe it.  Though I'm normally not the best guy to have with you in enemy territory because I've been told I have "a provoking face".  I guess that happens to the best of us over time.

I will tell you, no one does better football documentaries than the English.  It's not even close.

A great day today for me.  Hockey early this morning, took the kids to the pool, watching some netflix football documentaries... then a US friends and DCU playing tonight.  Not a bad summer day.

A great day today for me.  Hockey early this morning, took the kids to the pool, watching some netflix football documentaries... then a US friends and DCU playing tonight.  Not a bad summer day.

Been lashing down with rain and thunder and lightening here apparently but as I was asleep through most of it I wouldn't know. Sunny evening now. 

So 'one night in Turin' I'm guessing is the WC semi in '90 with Gazza and his tears? (Funny the year after down at Tottenham. Stevie McMahon ****ted him <like right hooked him and put him on his ass no nonsense Scouse style :lol:> and he's down receiving treatment and we start singing 'He's gonna' cry in a minute' and his bottom lip starts going. Soft get  :lol: ). 

England should of won that WC. They where absolutely ****e right through up unitl that semi but they played West Germany off the park and would of beaten Argentina the final. Same the WC before. Had Barnes been on 20 minutes earlier they'd of come back against Argentina (Hand of God game),  and then only had Belgium and a poor West German team to overcome when all the momentum was going with them. 

Never been remotely close since and I fully expect them to go out the groups this time round.  (Vamos Suarez! Vamos Uruguay against England!  :D .).

Hail. 

• Like 1

Jozy Altidore is bad at soccer.

Been lashing down with rain and thunder and lightening here apparently but as I was asleep through most of it I wouldn't know. Sunny evening now. 

So 'one night in Turin' I'm guessing is the WC semi in '90 with Gazza and his tears? (Funny the year after down at Tottenham. Stevie McMahon ****ted him <like right hooked him and put him on his ass no nonsense Scouse style :lol:> and he's down receiving treatment and we start singing 'He's gonna' cry in a minute' and his bottom lip starts going. Soft get  :lol: ). 

England should of won that WC. They where absolutely ****e right through up unitl that semi but they played West Germany off the park and would of beaten Argentina the final. Same the WC before. Had Barnes been on 20 minutes earlier they'd of come back against Argentina (Hand of God game),  and then only had Belgium and a poor West German team to overcome when all the momentum was going with them. 

Never been remotely close since and I fully expect them to go out the groups this time round.  (Vamos Suarez! Vamos Uruguay against England!  :D .).

Hail. 

More or less.  They focused a bit on why some of the games were played in Sardinia (citing Heysal) and then did a bit on the minister of sports at the time as well as the manager at the time.

Definitely was a talented side.