Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

I'd be surprised if he'd come but Fabregas is on the market for 30.

Fabregas or Lallana is a no-brainer

Hail.

I know it's never going to happen and rumors should never be trusted, but how great would that be! I think the Arsenal contingent on this board will lose their collective minds if Cesc comes to Liverpool!

http://www.lfconline.com/feat/ed11/rumour_mill_reds_want_fabregas_833962/index.shtml

• Like 1

So New York City FC (starting in 2015 for MLS) has bought Frank Lampard.  They are also trying to get in on David Villa and Ronaldhino. 

They will own the league if they get this kind of talent.

Couldn't help but notice that Man City owns them.  My brother bought up a good point, might be a backdoor farm system for City.  Even though they only played, what, 16 players all season this year... still a good way to avoid steep transfer fees.

So New York City FC (starting in 2015 for MLS) has bought Frank Lampard.  They are also trying to get in on David Villa and Ronaldhino. 

They will own the league if they get this kind of talent.

Couldn't help but notice that Man City owns them.  My brother bought up a good point, might be a backdoor farm system for City.  Even though they only played, what, 16 players all season this year... still a good way to avoid steep transfer fees.

they already signed Villa.

All the transfers are free, and I doubt it will be a farm system.

I know it's never going to happen and rumors should never be trusted, but how great would that be! I think the Arsenal contingent on this board will lose their collective minds if Cesc comes to Liverpool!

http://www.lfconline.com/feat/ed11/rumour_mill_reds_want_fabregas_833962/index.shtml

Tempering my excitement but this story certainly has legs. 

Not expecting it to happen but allowing myself to dream ..... Stevie and Cesc together in that midfield dominating possession with the speed of the youth .....

Hail. 

Tempering my excitement but this story certainly has legs. 

Not expecting it to happen but allowing myself to dream ..... Stevie and Cesc together in that midfield dominating possession with the speed of the youth .....

Hail.

I was just thinking today that Cesc would be a great signing for Liverpool or Man U. Not sure he would fit in the system Arsenal were playing last year though they could adjust to accommodate him and certainly not Chelsea's. City might get involved as well.

I'm assuming Arsenal had a right of first refusal put in his contract when they sold him if he was to come back to England?

Jozy had a ok game minus just not putting goals away again.  Green looks completely over his head right now.  He's being hyped like the next Donovan or better after playing a few mins for Bayern.  Most of his time has been spent in 4th Division in German.  He's a talented player but right now he looks like a kid rather than a talent Bayern prospect. 

Edited by RichmondRedskin88

Jozy had a ok game minus just not putting goals away again.  Green looks completely over his head right now.  He's being hyped like the next Donovan or better after playing a few mins for Bayern.  Most of his time has been spent in 4th Division in German.  He's a talented player but right now he looks like a kid rather than a talent Bayern prospect. 

Jozy hasn't scored a goal since December.  And that's his job.

Green has played what? ... 40 total minutes for the MNT?  He doesn't look great but he's out there still putting it together.

Like I said, I'm not against having Donovan on the side, but he didn't DESERVE a spot after the drama he's caused.  I'd even concede that he's probably the victim of some Jurgan/Bayern drama.  But your anger is misdirected.

Jurgen says he views Landon as an attacking player and Julian is a mid-field player.  Who is the attacking player that has done nothing?  It rhymes with Lazy Fatys'more

Therein lies the problem being as 'putting goals away' is (allegedly) his job.

Hail.

Exactly.  Jozy did actually play some two-way football today, but he had no confidence and no precense of mind down in the area today.  Again.

Jozy hasn't scored a goal since December.  And that's his job.

Green has played what? ... 40 total minutes for the MNT?  He doesn't look great but he's out there still putting it together.

Like I said, I'm not against having Donovan on the side, but he didn't DESERVE a spot after the drama he's caused.  I'd even concede that he's probably the victim of some Jurgan/Bayern drama.  But your anger is misdirected.

Jurgen says he views Landon as an attacking player and Julian is a mid-field player.  Who is the attacking player that has done nothing?  It rhymes with Lazy Fatys'more

Exactly.  Jozy did actually play some two-way football today, but he had no confidence and no precense of mind down in the area today.  Again.

I'm saying there's players on this team that don't fit because they are in the wrong position or they are seemly not ready.  People thought Beckerman was over his head when he got a call from Jurgen but he's showed he's ready.  He earned that spot.  Also remember Jozy has had droughts before and then suddenly caught fire.  Remember the streak of goals following the Germany game?  Including a hat trick on the road at Bosnia. 

Green has yet to show anything impressive that warrants him there after not playing with the team at all.  You are trusting a prospect to basically jump in at the world cup and play alongside players who he's played with for less than a hour total.  Others have been there through qualifying and other friendlies thus there's chemistry.  Also if we're gonna talk about deserve.  What has Green done to deserve a spot?  Picked USA over Germany because he knew they wouldn't want him the same way ones like Chandler picked us? Last I checked Jozy played a big part in qualifying with some major goals.  Green hasn't done anything to earn his spot nor has really Chandler(Who has played like crap both times he played for the US).

Last I checked Donovan at least did what was asked of him.  Jurgen told him play the Gold Cup if you want on the main team. He did and won it.  Jurgen put him on the main team and he had vital goals in qualifying such as the Mexico game.  If you want to talk about deserving there's a few players that don't deserve to be there.  They were other barely part of the journey or not even part of it at all on the way to Brazil.  Hell Donovan was there when qualifying first started and even had a penalty in the first game.  I'm finding it very hard to believe this is about Jurgen putting out the best 23 rather than simply about having the best German Americans.

I'm saying there's players on this team that don't fit because they are in the wrong position or they are seemly not ready.  People thought Beckerman was over his head when he got a call from Jurgen but he's showed he's ready.  He earned that spot.  Also remember Jozy has had droughts before and then suddenly caught fire.  Remember the streak of goals following the Germany game?  Including a hat trick on the road at Bosnia. 

Green has yet to show anything impressive that warrants him there after not playing with the team at all.  You are trusting a prospect to basically jump in at the world cup and play alongside players who he's played with for less than a hour total.  Others have been there through qualifying and other friendlies thus there's chemistry.  Also if we're gonna talk about deserve.  What has Green done to deserve a spot?  Picked USA over Germany because he knew they wouldn't want him the same way ones like Chandler picked us? Last I checked Jozy played a big part in qualifying with some major goals.  Green hasn't done anything to earn his spot nor has really Chandler(Who has played like crap both times he played for the US).

Para 1:  So do you play Jozy on Saturday or do you give Johansson some time?  You'll either waste 90 more minutes of prep on Jozy or you will potentially give Johansson some valuable reps.  Jozy looks lost, lazy (excet for about 20 minutes today) and there is no sign of him coming out of it.

Para 2:  In the same paragraph you mention that Green has done nothing, you also mention that he hasn't even been on the pitch for an hour with the side yet.  And still, you spend all of this time talking about Jozy scoring goals in spurts, but he's done nothing for either of his teams since December.  And last year, he was coming off a 30 goal season for his club.  He's coming off of 1 goal for Sunderland this summer and being benched for a Red who made him look foolish. 

It is what it is.  I just hope Jurgen makes the right call with what we have.  These players can get some points in Brasil if he puts the right combo out there.  But I (as a fan) think that starts with pulling the plug on Jozy.  I'm even fine with replacing him with Donovan, if that's still an option.  But Jozy has got to go.

Last I checked Donovan at least did what was asked of him.  Jurgen told him play the Gold Cup if you want on the main team. He did and won it.  Jurgen put him on the main team and he had vital goals in qualifying such as the Mexico game.  If you want to talk about deserving there's a few players that don't deserve to be there.  They were other barely part of the journey or not even part of it at all on the way to Brazil.  Hell Donovan was there when qualifying first started and even had a penalty in the first game.  I'm finding it very hard to believe this is about Jurgen putting out the best 23 rather than simply about having the best German Americans.

I think we both know there is a difference in player quality in what it takes to win a Gold Cup and what it takes to make it out of groups in the World Cup.

Para 1:  So do you play Jozy on Saturday or do you give Johansson some time?  You'll either waste 90 more minutes of prep on Jozy or you will potentially give Johansson some valuable reps.  Jozy looks lost, lazy (excet for about 20 minutes today) and there is no sign of him coming out of it.

Para 2:  In the same paragraph you mention that Green has done nothing, you also mention that he hasn't even been on the pitch for an hour with the side yet.  And still, you spend all of this time talking about Jozy scoring goals in spurts, but he's done nothing for either of his teams since December.  And last year, he was coming off a 30 goal season for his club.  He's coming off of 1 goal for Sunderland this summer and being benched for a Red who made him look foolish. 

It is what it is.  I just hope Jurgen makes the right call with what we have.  These players can get some points in Brasil if he puts the right combo out there.  But I (as a fan) think that starts with pulling the plug on Jozy.  I'm even fine with replacing him with Donovan, if that's still an option.  But Jozy has got to go.

I think we both know there is a difference in player quality in what it takes to win a Gold Cup and what it takes to make it out of groups in the World Cup.

Last I checked Donovan knows how to get out a group stage since he's made sure we've gotten out of it since 2002.  2010 he saved our butts multiple times in the group stage and I'm talking about besides the goal everyone thinks about.  I don't have a problem with Johansson getting a chance. I think he's a talented player and should get some minutes. He's been impressive when out there.  I'm saying some players we know what they are capable of.  We know they can turn it on in Brazil.  Then there's players on this squad who haven't been here long or basically at all and have yet to show anything positive that shows us what they are capable of.  Chandler has sucked in both appearances so that's not a good selling point.  Green has good few bright moments but besides that he looks timid and nervous as hell.  Zusi is playing a boss and his passes are great.  The defense is suspect as hell in general.  The back line is gonna kill us.  Jones will get left out to dry at the world cup with that diamond formation unless something changes.  Also one other note about Donovan have you noticed his goal streak lately?  Another one today.  Sure wouldn't hurt having someone who knows how to finish. If Jozy can't get out of his slump we'll need someone besides just Johansson finishing chances.  Speaking of finishing who is gonna take penalties?  Dempsey sucks at them.  I don't know who you can trust now with Donovan not taking them.

Again... Zusi is playing like a boss but Chandler is terrible?

You know who was supposed to support Chandler in the diamond right?  It was Zusi.

And I actually thought Timmy played very well yesterday until the last 20 minutes.  The problem in the first half was Beesler.  When Beasler came out, all of a sudden we looked better back there.

I would stop whining about Donovan, he isn't coming back unless there is an injury. 

Edited by DC9

Again... Zusi is playing like a boss but Chandler is terrible?

You know who was supposed to support Chandler in the diamond right?  It was Zusi.

And I actually thought Timmy played very well yesterday until the last 20 minutes.  The problem in the first half was Beesler.  When Beasler came out, all of a sudden we looked better back there.

I would stop whining about Donovan, he isn't coming back unless there is an injury. 

And I would stop with making excuse for poor play of others. Zusi was making fantastic passes and plays yesterday. He probably should had a goal too.  Dempsey played like crap. Chandler let his guy run by him and cause a penalty (How that's Zusi's fault is beyond me).  Brooks was shaking but strong.  Jones was ok but I think the problem is he's on his own a lot on counters.  I've already talked about Green and his nerves.  Jozy made plenty of good plays yesterday but the non scoring is in his head right now like it was before.  Bradley is the pace controller and man he makes great plays.  Beckerman has definitely found his place.  Him and Bradley have such a trust and understanding of each other. It's almost sad that this may be the only time they combine in a world cup because they seem to read each other so well.  I think Green is getting the raw deal here personally.  I think he's talented but right now he's not ready and all this is doing is hurting his confidence.  If he gets man handled at the world cup it won't help his development

And I would stop with making excuse for poor play of others. Zusi was making fantastic passes and plays yesterday. He probably should had a goal too.  Dempsey played like crap. Chandler let his guy run by him and cause a penalty (How that's Zusi's fault is beyond me).  Brooks was shaking but strong.  Jones was ok but I think the problem is he's on his own a lot on counters.  I've already talked about Green and his nerves.  Jozy made plenty of good plays yesterday but the non scoring is in his head right now like it was before.  Bradley is the pace controller and man he makes great plays.  Beckerman has definitely found his place.  Him and Bradley have such a trust and understanding of each other. It's almost sad that this may be the only time they combine in a world cup because they seem to read each other so well.  I think Green is getting the raw deal here personally.  I think he's talented but right now he's not ready and all this is doing is hurting his confidence.  If he gets man handled at the world cup it won't help his development

All... spoken like a striker.

Cheers.

I thought Chandler played rather well until the last 20 minutes or so.

I also think Jozy played really well too. Yes he needs to score, but I think to ignore how he played outside of scoring last game is silly. He needs to start scoring goals like he was, but that doesnt diminish the quality of the game he had.

I thought Chandler played rather well until the last 20 minutes or so.

I also think Jozy played really well too. Yes he needs to score, but I think to ignore how he played outside of scoring last game is silly. He needs to start scoring goals like he was, but that doesnt diminish the quality of the game he had.

I agree Jozy played a MUCH better two way game.  But I think his work rate was average for most player... which for Jozy is exceptional.  He played hard after Discarud came in and he moved behind him for the last 15 or so. 

Don't get me wrong, I like the effort comparatively to what he has put out there in the past couple of games.  He also looks like he's lost about 15lbs in the last week or so. 

Less lifting and more cardio at this time of year for Jozy.  The summer is a great time to shed weight as long as you are hydrating properly.

I agree Jozy played a MUCH better two way game.  But I think his work rate was average for most player... which for Jozy is exceptional.  He played hard after Discarud came in and he moved behind him for the last 15 or so. 

Don't get me wrong, I like the effort comparatively to what he has put out there in the past couple of games.  He also looks like he's lost about 15lbs in the last week or so. 

Less lifting and more cardio at this time of year for Jozy.  The summer is a great time to shed weight as long as you are hydrating properly.

Thats fair, need to see that effort from him every game. I will say I noticed a few times during the game, just from what I can see from the TV, where Jozy made some good runs. But whoever had the ball either wasnt seeing the ball or wasnt hitting him.

Hopefully they can start seeing those runs and Jozy can start converting like he was in 2013.