Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27579306

Spurs appoint Mauricio Pochettino as their new boss.

As a Southampton fan I am gutted to see him go, it was bad enough that we are likely to lose Lallana & Shaw over the summer but I was expecting that. To lose the manager as well is a real blow and puts a real feeling of uncertainty around the club after the great season that we had.

That's another manager Tottenham will **** up then.

Sorry man. And if Lallana wants to follow him and take the money then he's more than welcome.

See where it got Sigurdson

Hail.

Just caught a brilliant piece on the TV from Blackburn with I think the Chief Exec walking round the town handing out 20 'Golden Tickets' to the first people he sees wearing Rovers shirts. The 'Golden Ticket' being a free season ticket for next season to coincide with the 20 year anni of Rovers Premie League triumph.

The look on one young kids face (couldn't of been more than 6) out shopping with his mum was a joy to behold.

Brilliant idea and fabulous to see a football club giving back to the community that supports them.

Hail.

Yeah, for as much stick as people give the Raos they've never gouged the fans.  They've got really reasonable ticket prices in general, never changed that policy when they took over.  The fella who gave out the first ticket was the manager, Gary Bowyer.

Edited by Old Bay

That's another manager Tottenham will **** up then.

Sorry man. And if Lallana wants to follow him and take the money then he's more than welcome.

See where it got Sigurdson

Hail.

Yep, my first reaction to hearing this news was "Well, I'm willing to bet Spurs' price for Lallana is going to be substantially more than our inflated price was".

FWIW, I tried to buy him on FIFA last night for my Lincoln City side that is HUMMING.  He said he had played for Southhampton too long and was too loyal to the team.

I wish they gave you the option to show the player your case of medals/trophies and then invite him to enjoy your middle finger extended as you are walking out the door, but they don't. 

FWIW, I tried to buy him on FIFA last night for my Lincoln City side that is HUMMING.  He said he had played for Southhampton too long and was too loyal to the team.

I wish they gave you the option to show the player your case of medals/trophies and then invite him to enjoy your middle finger extended as you are walking out the door, but they don't. 

That's when you throw more money at him and he can't even remember that he ever played in Northframpton.

.... The fella who gave out the first ticket was the manager, Gary Bowyer.

Well Hell. No wonder the young guy had a face like Christmas morning and then called his dad and passed it over to Bowyer.

That's a day he'll NEVER forget.

Yep, my first reaction to hearing this news was "Well, I'm willing to bet Spurs' price for Lallana is going to be substantially more than our inflated price was".

FWIW, I tried to buy him on FIFA last night for my Lincoln City side that is HUMMING. He said he had played for Southhampton too long and was too loyal to the team.

Lincoln City! Who now?

We always have wondered about you Iil' bro'. Momma always said he's just 'different.'

Differently frigging weird ...... -:)

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 2

Well Hell. No wonder the young guy had a face like Christmas morning and then called his dad and passed it over to Bowyer.

That's a day he'll NEVER forget.

Lincoln City! Who now?

We always have wondered about you Iil' bro'. Momma always said he's just 'different.'

Differently frigging weird ...... - :)

Hail.

Had to try and bring a side up from the bottom.  They were worst off.

LFC was way too easy after a couple of good years/windows.

Now, if you want a challenge, try winning Europe with a Scottish side.  That's just about impossible.

----------

So did I hear correctly that Glazier just passed?

That's when you throw more money at him and he can't even remember that he ever played in Northframpton.

Unfortunately that's not an option either.  You can throw more money at the team to change their minds about selling but you can't change a players mind.  Weirdos.

I've heard the new game for the PS4 will sporadically sell players (or members of the board will) off of your team during transfer windows.  Apparently it's a glitch in the game and fellas are pretty hot about it.

Maaaaannn...

I've had Ozil, Scz, and Ramsey all demand to be sold on my career mode. The trick is to keep starting them and praising them during press conferences

My arsenal team is sick tho

Draxler, Barkley, Boateng from Bayern, Benteke and his unstoppable headers plus theo, Ox, Ozil, and Ramsey

My LFC side is repulsive.  I can't begin to spend all of the money I have, either.  But I also have this thing against buying other teams top players (like Messi, Neymar, etc) so I've steered clear of that.  But it's just not fun anymore  because I have an "A side" and a "B side" for European and League matches respectively.  And then I have a "C side" for League Cup and FA Cup that could probably make it out of groups in Europe, lol.  That game is addicting as hell, though.  Haven't played Madden all that much in the last two years, almost exclusively NHL and FIFA.

BTW, got to watch that QPR documentary this evening and it was fantastic.  I recommended it to my brother, too.  Thanks for the suggestion.  I can't help but compare that to other ownership groups that we deal with.  Once the Itai was out of the picture it seemed to roll a lot more smoothly.  Very interesting watch, thanks again.

Had to try and bring a side up from the bottom. They were worst off.

LFC was way too easy after a couple of good years/windows.

Now, if you want a challenge, try winning Europe with a Scottish side. That's just about impossible.

----------

You devious lil' ****er!

I know your game buster! Just because you know I'm analytical, a Coach first, and as such I'm addicted to 'Football Manager'; you're getting hot at FIFA so you can spend Christmas whipping my useless FIFA ass! You always where a sly dog bro'!

And for the record, I won the Europa League on my Rangers save (footie manager again) and lost the following season 4-3 on agg in the Chanps League quarter to Madrid. So success in Europe with a Scottish club - Been there, done that. HA!

Hail.

• Like 1

Looking for some advice from fellow Skins fans about soccer. I am a total noob when it comes to soccer, never played growing up except goofing around with friends sometimes and never really watched as a kid. As an adult I have enjoyed watching the world cup but my knowledge of the game and players is very limited.

Well my son just joined his first soccer team this year and he LOVES it! He is very fast and he has picked up the game quickly. I took him to his first DC United game this year as well and we had a great time! We have also watched a few EPL games on TV this year but I don't know much about that league. Any advice on an EPL team we could try to follow for new fans, maybe a star player he could get into and follow. We have been watching DC United this year and we plan to go back to another game, but it seems likethe EPL league is a much higher level of soccer. Can you recommend a resource for learning about improving his ball skills? He is 7 years old and since he has fallen in love with this game, I want to help him out as much as I can but this is the one sport I never grew up playing or watching. Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Looking for some advice from fellow Skins fans about soccer. I am a total noob when it comes to soccer, never played growing up except goofing around with friends sometimes and never really watched as a kid. As an adult I have enjoyed watching the world cup but my knowledge of the game and players is very limited.

Well my son just joined his first soccer team this year and he LOVES it! He is very fast and he has picked up the game quickly. I took him to his first DC United game this year as well and we had a great time! We have also watched a few EPL games on TV this year but I don't know much about that league. Any advice on an EPL team we could try to follow for new fans, maybe a star player he could get into and follow. We have been watching DC United this year and we plan to go back to another game, but it seems likethe EPL league is a much higher level of soccer. Can you recommend a resource for learning about improving his ball skills? He is 7 years old and since he has fallen in love with this game, I want to help him out as much as I can but this is the one sport I never grew up playing or watching. Thanks for any advice you can give me.

If you want your son to grow up to be a quality person and be a knowledgeable fan, become a fan of Everton FC.

Avoid teams like Manchester United and Liverpool at all costs if you want him to be likeable. :D

I chose a BPL team to support last summer. I didn't want one of the mega teams- too much like the cowboys. So I crossed off Manchester United,Manchester city, and Chelsea. As a redskins fan, I wanted a team with some history of success, but one that was maybe struggling more recently to get back to glory. I liked that liverpool met those requirements and were called the "reds" (redskins) to boot. May have been some subliminal stuff from all the 'pool fans in here, but I honestly didn't pick up on who was who until after the selection. In the end, I went with Liverpool, but was considering Arsenal (gunners is a cool nickname), Tottenham (always have liked the kit and they still had Bale), Newcastle (the beer and a friend is a fan), and Everton (Tim Howard). I chose wisely.

I didn't think so at first. The first game I watch as a self-professed fan was when Suarez bit the Chelski player, which reminded me that he was the hand of god II dude against Ghana in the World Cup. Almost switch allegiance right then, but my wife told me that I could change after publicly declaring my team. Smart lady.

A good year to root for the reds... Much like 2012 for the skins. Hot superstar leading a team to a surprise season of success only to fall short in the end (and now with suarez's knee injury, the parallels are weirdly on pace). Liverpool was on TV almost every game, so that was nice... the other big clubs are too though.

Liverpool is perfect... a big club that is still an underdog, recent success, superstar player, and on tv a lot. Just don't go with Man U or Everton... Not right to raise a child that way.

• Like 2

Avoid teams like Everton and Man United.  Any teams from Manchester or London are similar to the Yankees.  And everytime you root for them the terrorists win.  Everton is a club from a very quality city, but they are blue like the Cowboys.  You want to be red.  So root for Liverpool.  Every time Liverpool gets a new fan an angel gets his wings.

Learn these two songs:

And welcome to the Liverpool Family!  You'll Never Walk Alone!

You devious lil' ****er!

I know your game buster! Just because you know I'm analytical, a Coach first, and as such I'm addicted to 'Football Manager'; you're getting hot at FIFA so you can spend Christmas whipping my useless FIFA ass! You always where a sly dog bro'!

And for the record, I won the Europa League on my Rangers save (footie manager again) and lost the following season 4-3 on agg in the Chanps League quarter to Madrid. So success in Europe with a Scottish club - Been there, done that. HA!

Hail.

You've got me sold on at least giving that game a look.  You've talked about it a couple of times on here and I've kept an eye out... just haven't seen it in any of the stores around here. 

And we'll play whatever you want to play.  I think the only games I routinely get my ass kicked in are the boxing games.  But when I pull out "Mike Tyson's Punchout" on you be prepared to defend yourself.

And DC Hogs, you're dead to me. Did you know that Arsenal beat Liverpool 2 out of 3 times last season? And also feature a Welsh deity playing the midfield?

That FA Cup match may have been the best goal keeping I've seen all season.  Your back up keeper had the game of his life. 

You've got me sold on at least giving that game a look. You've talked about it a couple of times on here and I've kept an eye out... just haven't seen it in any of the stores around here.

And we'll play whatever you want to play. I think the only games I routinely get my ass kicked in are the boxing games. But when I pull out "Mike Tyson's Punchout" on you be prepared to defend yourself.

That FA Cup match may have been the best goal keeping I've seen all season. Your back up keeper had the game of his life.

Sadly he's off to Swansea now

Oh boy. 

Here comes the various brigades. Engage supersonic beam of fanhood ire, T-Minus 5 seconds. 

Looking for some advice from fellow Skins fans

Well, everyone wants to watch sport at its highest level. And everyone wants to be a fan of a championship team. Things just don't always workout like that.

I'd suggest you associate with a club that you or your ancestry has some connection to. Like ... what's your lineage? Where do your roots go? 

You know, I was fortunate enough to trace some maternal ancestral roots back to a small town in the Czech Republic a few years ago. It was ... spiritual. Now, I'm talking small town, very few people, rolling hills, agriculture, salt of the earth. It doesn't have its own soccer club.

But one could use regional geographic association to support a club close to where one comes from.

That might mean, like, "non-major league," even amateur. 

However, from what you wrote, it does sound like you want to pick out a bigtime club, with bigtime league status, that performs at a high level. Also being that you are stateside, something that you can easily find on the TV, not something that you'd have to hack an NSA satellite in order to watch. 

See, I'm a northern Virginia, DC area guy, so that's why I'm all DC sports. It's home. Grew up on Gibbs. It's self-explanatory being a Skins fan.

You can use other methods of course. One, like a family member traveled, was stationed abroad with the military and frequented the matches of the local club, like Sevilla, for example. Or, spent time in London and was intrigued by the papers who mention some guy named Bobby Tambling, until seeing the brilliance with their own eyes. Real tangible things like your Father was there, in the stands, supported the club, pass it down. 

Things like that. Association. 

If you've got roots back to the Anglo lands of England, maybe you've got an association to a town that has a smaller club, not a premier, top-flight team. That would almost be ideal because you are choosing a club for the love of the game, not for some pie-in-the-sky reflected glory.

Maybe you know that your surname is ambiguous Welsh in origin, for example, and maybe that's enough for you to pick a club from there. 

So, if you are looking at the Premier league, perhaps picking a club that is down a tier, at the 2nd level or 3rd level might be the most rewarding. In fact, it might save you a lot of headache in the long run. 

The unfortunate aspect of selecting a major club (any major club) in the recognizable international top-tier, is that ... you unwittingly are then subject to a bunch of dip****s who will trash talk you at any moment. Real pithy, petty crap will get thrown at you constantly. You'll have asshats come out of the woodwork, make concerted efforts to call you names because you've associated with a specific club. So, if you like being called ... insert whatever the cliche smear of the opposition is ... a hooligan, a racist, a petrodollar capitalist thug ... you name it, you'll get called it while being a fan of a professional international soccer club.  

Sometimes the actual gameplay on the field takes a backseat to, or isn't even in the car, in regards to arguments that challengers want to throw in your face. It really is hilarious, in a sad way. Unfortunately you have to weigh whether being a fan of a successful club, inheriting top-level play, outweighs the amount of **** that gets throw your way. 

With any success comes a lot of equal hate.

Of course, everyone is entitled to their choice and their own method of choosing. 

On a more frivolous tip: I actually knew a handful of "youngins," back in the day, who selected their soccer/football club by way of their favorite DJ. I kid you not.

During the mid to late 90s there was another British music invasion, on the electronic music front. Young 20-somethings were all hyped from this new scene and new sound and wanted to support, or emulate, every aspect of it, including, down to the very soccer club that their favorite DJs supported.

So, as you can imagine, after a brief courting, basically one night of seeing a guy mix-down a helluva set and then by cross-correlating which team was "hot" at the time, you'd see a bunch of new plastic fans sporting an English club. Imagine it 1997, 1998 and a soccer club that just won the Premier league. They see this DJ sporting the club's shirt and voila ... you have Arsenal fan USA

All I can say is, choose, but choose wisely. 

Edited by Monk4thaHALL

I'd suggest you associate with a club that you or your ancestry has some connection to. Like ... what's your lineage? Where do your roots go? 

You know, I was fortunate enough to trace some maternal ancestral roots back to a small town in the Czech Republic a few years ago. It was ... spiritual. Now, I'm talking small town, very few people, rolling hills, agriculture, salt of the earth. It doesn't have its own soccer club.

This is actually how my family started rooting for LFC.  Very good post, Monk.  With one exception.

The unfortunate aspect of selecting a major club (any major club) in the recognizable international top-tier, is that ... you unwittingly are then subject to a bunch of dip****s who will trash talk you at any moment. Real pithy, petty crap will get thrown at you constantly. You'll have asshats come out of the woodwork, make concerted efforts to call you names because you've associated with a specific club. So, if you like being called ... insert whatever the cliche smear of the opposition is ... a hooligan, a racist, a petrodollar capitalist thug ... you name it, you'll get called it while being a fan of a professional international soccer club.  

This is part of life as a sports fan.  But as you say, ESPECIALLY on an international level.  We're not talking about Redskins vs Cowboys or Bears vs Packers... we're talking about clubs that were around and playing 30 plus years before those clubs were even thought of.  And cities and towns that are close enough together to over hear what's said about them by their opposition.

And then there is the relegation factor... where teams from the Top league will be relegated to a lower league if they finish in the bottom three of their respective levels.

In England, it goes:

Premeir League

Championship

League 1

League 2

And then on down to the unmentionables.  So it's a constant fight for players, position, and bragging rights. 

Not for the faint of heart.

But while you should be prepared for the occasional turd burgalar fan... you should also be prepared for your fellow supporters to help lift you up.

Like I said, we'll never let you walk alone. ;)

That's another thing I love about soccer clubs. The history is so vast. Into the 1800s.

Glad they dropped the Woolwich from Arsenal's name lol

As far as any crap from any fans, I don't get much. In fact, Arsenal is the most popular team in Philly from what I've seen.

They have the black guy market cornered btw. Must have been Theirry

Couple quick things.

First, no matter how old you son it, make sure that he works on his touch, turns, and moves.  Being able to trap a ball (where you want it, not just stopped) and being able to dribble out of trouble is the most important thing to learn when you start. As kids get older, they learn passing, shooting, movement, etc.  But touch gets harder and harder as you get older.  Good touch = good player, always.

As for teams to root for, I would recommend trying to watch several different leagues.  MLS is great for home-team atmosphere, but as you noted, not always the 'best' soccer.  EPL is easy to find and generally a more powerful, speed oriented league.  La Liga (Spain) is more technical and creative ability, with flowing passing and possession.  Bundisliga is a blend between England and Spain, with more attacking and goal scoring.  Serie A has good individual skills and great defending.  Ligue 1 (French) is a step down from the 'big 4', but getting much better and fun to watch as many games are very open.  You can even catch Mexican and South American games on some channels. Find the one that suits you the best and start watching games.

I am GHH an I mostly follow S****horpe United because they are the arch enemy of the team all the cool kids support, Lincoln City.

Anything to nark at the cool kids .....

Jesus Christ...

Can we just make an actual soccer thread that isn't just about Liverpool? Yeesh....you'd think they had won something recently....

:)

That's two.

I'ma keeping retaliatory score. -:)

Hail.

• Like 1