Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

2 minutes ago, Forehead said:

What group does Russia normally have to qualify out of?  It's interesting to me that the final six are all Euro squads, unless we're counting Russia as coming from the Asian qualifying group, whatever it is called.

Pretty sure Russia comes out of Euro qualifying.

Wow, what a match!

Belgium out defended that strong attacking Brazilian offense! They countered and time managed well. Courtois was AMAZING team MVP! 

Neymar’s reputation finally caught up with him, and it cost his team. 

Very happy with this result.

Belgium/France should probably be the final.

Fantastic game.  Brazil had so many scoring chance but they just couldn't kick the ball cleanly today.  This wasn't just the standard set of shots going wide or high, I mean balls in great position that players just flat out missed.  They have to feel like they let one get away.  Especially considering the difference in the match was an own goal. 

I'm of half French (my Dad is French) and I can tell you, you have no idea how big this France Belgium game is going to be.

The French Belgium relationship is very much like the US Canada one in many ways: very similar peoples, very similar cultures, but

one of them (Blegium) lives in the perpetual shadow of the other (France). When I was kid going to a French school in Paris (which I did

for 8 years), I remember all the jokes the French kids would make at the expense of the Belgians -- that the Belgians were simple, that they're

idea of haute cuisine was a plate of French Fries, that their navy was a joke because they tried to fit their submarines with screen doors -- and so on.

So this is a big game for the Belgians, I'm sure: to come out the shadow of their more famous and more prominent rival.  

Edited by Mournblade
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Forehead said:

What group does Russia normally have to qualify out of?  It's interesting to me that the final six are all Euro squads, unless we're counting Russia as coming from the Asian qualifying group, whatever it is called.

Russia would come out of UEFA.Note that Netherlands and Italy didn't make it out of Europe. Sweden, Switzerland and Croatia (all final 16) had to enter a play off to make it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification#UEFA

5 hours ago, Destino said:

Fantastic game.  Brazil had so many scoring chance but they just couldn't kick the ball cleanly today.  This wasn't just the standard set of shots going wide or high, I mean balls in great position that players just flat out missed.  They have to feel like they let one get away.  Especially considering the difference in the match was an own goal. 

Oh there was more than once where a Brazilian player was fed the ball in absolute percect position, if you’d have paused the game at that moment I’d have bet my bank account they would score, but then wide right...just high....failure to fire.

Neymar going out of the World Cup in Fellaini's back pocket is satisfactory karma as far as I'm concerned. Hazard also deserves a lot of credit for the work he did to relieve the pressure off his defense after Martinez hung his team out to dry and waited forever to make substitutions. I've been watching Brazil for a long time and in the company of Romario, Rivaldo, Ronaldo and Ronaldinho Neymar is at best carrying their cleats and water bottles. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sun cracking the flags again. Reds relaxed and bevvying in gorgeous Chester. And a chance to see for the first time just how dominant a midfield duo L’pool have added as the team building moves on another level with the hugely anticipated big match this avvy .....

..... L’pool football is back! The first stepping stone to another season that will be one HELL of a ride if it matches the awesome season and memories from last year. Let alone if they take the next step on the trajectory they’re on back to the top of the mountain.

NOW the summer football properly starts in earnest!

Hail.

12 hours ago, Mournblade said:

I'm of half French (my Dad is French) and I can tell you, you have no idea how big this France Belgium game is going to be.

The French Belgium relationship is very much like the US Canada one in many ways: very similar peoples, very similar cultures, but

one of them (Blegium) lives in the perpetual shadow of the other (France). When I was kid going to a French school in Paris (which I did

for 8 years), I remember all the jokes the French kids would make at the expense of the Belgians -- that the Belgians were simple, that they're

idea of haute cuisine was a plate of French Fries, that their navy was a joke because they tried to fit their submarines with screen doors -- and so on.

So this is a big game for the Belgians, I'm sure: to come out the shadow of their more famous and more prominent rival.  

True, les histoires belges, we don't do them as we did, I guess it's a thing of the past. These stories were kind of derogatory depicting them as dummies. 

Belgian joke about us: do you know why the French chose the rooster as their national emblem? Because it's the only bird that can sing feet deep in the **** !:D

Actually one of my best buddy (fitness coach) is from Belgium, they do share (Wallons only) the same life style as the people from northern France.

C'est l'histoire d'un belge qui est puceau, ses amis pour son anniversaire décident de lui payer une prostituée chez madame Claude à Paris. Le Belge arrive chez Madame Claude, se présente c'est moi le Belge, Mme Claude lui demande de choisir une fille et de monter.

Une fois dans la chambre la prostituée lui demande qu'est ce qu'il veut faire, le Belge répond je sais pas c'est la première fois, le fille lui propose un 69.

Elle se met sur lui commence le 69 et au bout d'un môment lui pète dessus. Le Belge dit Oh non alors ! si c'est encore 68 fois comme ça !

12 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Host nations shouldn't get automatic bids.

I believe it's a business thing, more people in the stadiums, more medias coverage, more money for MaFifa ;)

Edited by FrFan
  • Haha 1

It’s not the worst thing in the world. Autobid for host nation.

hey, can you host this dinner party? Great! But you can’t come. 

Russia hasn’t been pretty this year but they did keep Spain in check and got out of a weak group. The “minor” hosts have generally given a good account of themselves. 

I would hate being a defender with the job of chasing down Hazard all game, the guys motor doesn't stop and he basically used his speed to maintain some sort of possession to run out those last 15 minute's, I'm not sure Belgium survives the late onslaught without him.

3 hours ago, FrFan said:

True, les histoires belges, we don't do them as we did, I guess it's a thing of the past. These stories were kind of derogatory depicting them as dummies. 

Belgian joke about us: do you know why the French chose the rooster as their national emblem? Because it's the only bird that can sing feet deep in the **** !:D

Actually one of my best buddy (fitness coach) is from Belgium, they do share (Wallons only) the same life style as the people from northern France.

C'est l'histoire d'un belge qui est puceau, ses amis pour son anniversaire décident de lui payer une prostituée chez madame Claude à Paris. Le Belge arrive chez Madame Claude, se présente c'est moi le Belge, Mme Claude lui demande de choisir une fille et de monter.

Une fois dans la chambre la prostituée lui demande qu'est ce qu'il veut faire, le Belge répond je sais pas c'est la première fois, le fille lui propose un 69.

Elle se met sur lui commence le 69 et au bout d'un môment lui pète dessus. Le Belge dit Oh non alors ! si c'est encore 68 fois comme ça !

I believe it's a business thing, more people in the stadiums, more medias coverage, more money for MaFifa ;)

Ba ha! Tres drole ca. :)

• Thanks 1