Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hypothetical: Cooley to Pats for 2nd and 4th?

ceviker

But that trade would probably be the best option for the team.

/solemnly nods

No one player is bigger than the team. We are rebuilding, he the only valuable piece that can be 90% replaced - if not 100% or more - with a player currently on the roster.

I put out the idea of one of our TE's (not Yoder :))being shipped out to NE in another thread a few weeks back. For those kind of value picks, it would be a good move.

However, I've kinda got the impression that NE didn't really utilise a pass catching TE to the extent that would warrant them giving away high value picks though. I don't know if that is factually correct, just a general impression I have.

However' date=' I've kinda got the impression that NE didn't really utilise a pass catching TE to the extent that would warrant them giving away high value picks though. I don't know if that is factually correct, just a general impression I have.[/quote']

My impression was that it was more a product of personnel than a conscious decison to not utilize a passing catching TE. Ben Watson was a 1st round pick, he just didn't pan out. I think if they could get one for the right price, they would be delighted, and I am sure Brady would love to have a safety net other than Wes Welker (esp since Welker might not be 100% this season).

Nope.

We're not contending this year and Cooley provides way more to the team than a Pro Bowl performance.

Dude, if you're not a contender, you should be rebuilding.

This hypothetical would be the kind of move we should make, if we're rebuilding, and at 4-12 last year...

My impression was that it was more a product of personnel than a conscious decison to not utilize a passing catching TE. Ben Watson was a 1st round pick, he just didn't pan out. I think if they could get one for the right price, they would be delighted, and I am sure Brady would love to have a safety net other than Wes Welker (esp since Welker might not be 100% this season).

No, its the system. Tight ends are required to be good blockers rather then good receivers. That's why mcdaniels never utilized scheffler and wants to trade him. Cooley makes no sense for the pats unless they have a change in offensive philosophy.

for a 2nd and 4th...I'd probably do it. Davis has all the offensive catching abilities of Cooley and then some. I think he probably will become a better blocker within the next two seasons as well. Cooley also fumbles the ball more then I care for. We could get some quality talent at places we need help with a 2nd and a 4th. Cooley may personify what the Redskins mean to me...but it's about solidifying the team first. Although I don't think such a trade will happen.

No, its the system. Tight ends are required to be good blockers rather then good receivers. That's why mcdaniels never utilized scheffler and wants to trade him. Cooley makes no sense for the pats unless they have a change in offensive philosophy.

I just saying, you dont spend a 1st round pick on a blocking TE. The system might have evolved to not use a pass catcher at TE (novel concept, a system that caters to the personnel's strenghts), but in 2004, when Watson was drafted, Belichick wanted a pass catching TE.

Okay, let's be real.

These fantasies of a Cooley/Davis 2TE base set are NOT going to happen. It has never been done before by any team, where you have 2 TEs as an integral part of an offense. One of them will start. One of them will sit. It is as simple as that.

With that in mind, if either of them can garner a 3rd round pick or higher, you have to trade one. Football is about making tough decisions, and this is one where you are desperate to restock through the draft, and have a surplus of talent at a position to trade. It would be foolish not to pull the trigger because of your personal feelings towards Cooley. This is a rebuilding effort, and rebuilding involves tough business decisions.

Okay, let's be real.

These fantasies of a Cooley/Davis 2TE base set are NOT going to happen. It has never been done before by any team, where you have 2 TEs as an integral part of an offense. One of them will start. One of them will sit. It is as simple as that.

With that in mind, if either of them can garner a 3rd round pick or higher, you have to trade one. Football is about making tough decisions, and this is one where you are desperate to restock through the draft, and have a surplus of talent at a position to trade. It would be foolish not to pull the trigger because of your personal feelings towards Cooley. This is a rebuilding effort, and rebuilding involves tough business decisions.

Okay lets be real .

Cooley is the starter Davis is depth and proven depth at that ...and is currently on a cheap rookie contract . Should Cooley go down with injury again and Davis is not there then we loose a major part of our offense .

Equally trusting Davis to develop overnight to reach Cooleys level is a gamble and then if he goes down who is his back up ... are we drafting another pass catching TE with those 2nd or 4th picks in which case why trade Cooley away for one pick ...?

If nothing else Davis will be a weapon inside the rz but I have seen some teams try and develop the 2TE set the most notable is Dallas Clark an Ben Utept when they were in Indy together .

Having a second TE pass catching threat allowed Clark to be moved around a lot more from the traditional TE slot . He motioned split wide into the backfield etc etc causing match up nightmares .

The cowboys in recent years have tried to develop the 2TE set selecting 2nd round Franso (sp) and Bennett to compliment Witten but for one reason or another then it never worked out ...

if NE had a top pick in Round 2 I might be more tempted. Where NE selects as a playoff team most of the guys I have on a short list for the OL will be long gone and you can say the same thing for a couple of the qbs who are likely to be there in that round.

A #4 pick is a crap shoot. How many really turn out even for the best GM/front offices out there?

Cooley is not a 33 year old veteran who is looking to go to a contender at the end of his career as Gonzalez was before last season.

At 28 Cooley is just entering his prime.

For that kind of player we should be receiving more back in the deal.

With that in mind, if either of them can garner a 3rd round pick or higher, you have to trade one.

Some one please educate me on how in the hell a 3rd = pro bowl TE. Seriously? A PROVEN talent is only worth a 3rd? I think some people on this board throw around bull**** just to sound smart but it only makes them look like they're full of ****.

Give us your first and we'll talk, two high seconds, maybe. 3rd, pleeeeeaaaaassssse.

Archived