Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hypothetical: Cooley to Pats for 2nd and 4th?

ceviker

If Cooley hadn't been injured, then I would say NO WAY we trade him...but ALOT of backups prove their worth due to an injury to the starter (ask Drew Bledsoe about this)...

This being the case...I say we give the Patriots Cooley AND Portis for a 2nd, 4th and Kevin Faulk!!!

If Cooley hadn't been injured, then I would say NO WAY we trade him...but ALOT of backups prove their worth due to an injury to the starter (ask Drew Bledsoe about this)...

This being the case...I say we give the Patriots Cooley AND Portis for a 2nd, 4th and Kevin Faulk!!!

Vinny is that you?

I'm damn torn on this. A 4-12 team with 2 high caliber TE's just doesn't make sense and we need all the picks we can get. However, it really depends on the scheme that the Shanahan's are going to try and employ and the picks involved. A 2 TE scheme can be amazing, but if having 2 TE's handcuffs our long term development in terms of getting good picks, then I'd have to pull the trigger, even though I love Cooley.

Having a second TE pass catching threat allowed Clark to be moved around a lot more from the traditional TE slot . He motioned split wide into the backfield etc etc causing match up nightmares .

The cowboys in recent years have tried to develop the 2TE set selecting 2nd round Franso (sp) and Bennett to compliment Witten but for one reason or another then it never worked out ...

I'll send you to the way back machine. Green Bay 90s, Mark Chumura and Keith Jackson. That's how good a solid 2 TE set can be in the WCO. However, let's not forget NE used to have a guy by the name of Ben Coats? I think it was who was a pretty good pass catcher, oh and what about Vrabel :D

Okay, let's be real.

These fantasies of a Cooley/Davis 2TE base set are NOT going to happen. It has never been done before by any team, where you have 2 TEs as an integral part of an offense. One of them will start. One of them will sit. It is as simple as that.

Gibbs ran a 2 TE set With Diddier and Warren

I know we need to get younger and could use some more picks, but you don't trade a great player in his prime. Yes Fred Davis had a good year, but lets make sure he is that good before we trade our best damn player on offense. We need weapons on offense and people want to get rid of the one quality weapon we have. Getting draft picks is great but there is no gurantee that the players picked will ever amount to crap.

Can someone please tell me why everyone is trying to trade one of our only offensive weapons away? If anything last year proved that we NEED two viable pass catching tight ends. Guess what this is called folks, DEPTH something the Skins really don't have anywhere else.

I love Cooley,

Fred Davis emerged in 2009 as a legitimate threat as a pass-catching tight end. While he is not yet the polished route runner that Chris Cooley is, .

There ya go, some fans so called love for the best H-back on the team, and one of the best in the NFL, but wants to trade him :beatdeadhorse:

This isn't Madden, you don't trade the best players on your team, especialy for a college kid who might not even make it in the NFL :doh:

Can someone please tell me why everyone is trying to trade one of our only offensive weapons away? If anything last year proved that we NEED two viable pass catching tight ends. Guess what this is called folks, DEPTH something the Skins really don't have anywhere else.

:point2sky Thank you.

As much as the Skins need the draft picks (another round of applause for Vinny), I'd say this is a bad idea. A second rounder is usually a quality pick, but 4th rounders are generally camp fodder and a stretch to make the team or contribute in the next 2 to 3 years. Davis does look like he has the greater upside, in that he's younger, but currently this is the only position where the Skins have quality depth. Nothing on earth guarantees Davis will stay healthy all season. Trading Cooley for a second and a fourth is simply shortsighted.

Shanny may toss the dice, but I can't see an overall improvement to the team by anyone we can get in the second round that's better than Cooley is currently. Instead of BPA, why not just keep the best player?

And, of course, having Davis in the first place is a mistake we owe to Vinny. Even if he was BPA, this is the sort of situation you get into with the BPA Vinny and Dan ran. Too many players of quality in one position, while having zero players of quality elsewhere.

NO...simply because rookie players on the field, (meaning players that don't have any game tape), always do better when they're shoved in to a situation.

I promise you that his production value will lower as he amounts game tape. Way too early to get rid of Cooley...he's established....Fred Davis isnt

NO...simply because rookie players on the field, (meaning players that don't have any game tape), always do better when they're shoved in to a situation.

I promise you that his production value will lower as he amounts game tape. Way too early to get rid of Cooley...he's established....Fred Davis isnt

Bingo. Plus imagine an offense with a productive Kelly, Thomas/Moss, Davis, and Cooley on the field at the same time!! Also if Kelly and Thomas don't improve next season the only pass catching playmaker the Skins will have is Moss ( gotta see more than one year out of Davis ). Cooley is a playmaker for the Skins and in his prime gotta keep him.

Getting draft picks is great but there is no gurantee that the players picked will ever amount to crap.

Lets not draft anyone then since they 'might' not amount to crap. A second and a fourth?? please

I would drive Cooley to the airport myself! Fred Davis is going to be a BEAST! Could be the next Tony Gonzales IMO!!!

this

Archived