Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hypothetical: Cooley to Pats for 2nd and 4th?

ceviker

Again this was a Pats fan bleacher report blog, having a Jones for Cooley, and making up an unrealistic scenario to get Cooley to the Patriots.

not going to happen

Yes!! Bubba I'm glad someone gets it besides me. I've basically trained myself to think that when I see the initials BR, or BleacherReport that its a fabrication, a fan made blog, and probably a fraud or lie.

I'll send you to the way back machine. Green Bay 90s, Mark Chumura and Keith Jackson. That's how good a solid 2 TE set can be in the WCO. However, let's not forget NE used to have a guy by the name of Ben Coats? I think it was who was a pretty good pass catcher, oh and what about Vrabel :D

As far as trading cooley, my son is a growing Redskins fan. He loves Cooley, he's his favorite player, but I learned earlier last year that hey if they had to trade Cooley it would not be the end of the world. Why do I say that? I asked my son if he'd be okay if the skins traded Chris Cooley and he said that's fine daddy, as long as I can still root for the redskins.

I tell ya, seeing my 7 year old with his head on straighter than mine was when I first read posts like this made me realize something. This is a game, a team sport, and its the team ultimately that we root for not just the players themselves. If my 7 year old can understand this (and he was 6 at the time actually), then I think we all should get the book Who Moved My Cheese and embrace the change that is to come.

Did I really right 'way back machine' or did a mod correct my post? I honestly don't recall writing that, and yet it makes so much sense :D

i really hope cooley is a career 'skin like d.green. unless someone proposes a trade that is absolutely one that cant be turned down which i dont see happening then i want him on our team. i think the shanahans will find a way to get both cooley and davis on the field at the same time effectively

Okay lets be real .

Cooley is the starter Davis is depth and proven depth at that ...and is currently on a cheap rookie contract . Should Cooley go down with injury again and Davis is not there then we loose a major part of our offense .

You do NOT make moves under the assumption of injury, especially when the alternative is a potential starter.

Equally trusting Davis to develop overnight to reach Cooleys level is a gamble and then if he goes down who is his back up ... are we drafting another pass catching TE with those 2nd or 4th picks in which case why trade Cooley away for one pick ...?

There are plenty of pass catching TEs that can be serviceable in case of injury in FA. And a TE, while solid, should never be a gamebreaker for your offense.

This board absolutely PANNED Vinny for drafting Fred Davis in the first place! We spent a 2nd round pick on TE depth. But you would pass up a trade for a 2nd and 3rd, or 2nd and 4 to *maintain* TE depth, especially considering that Davis is already putting up borderline Pro Bowl numbers in year 2 as the primary offensive weapon?

Depth is nice, but you do not trade high draft picks for depth, nor do you refrain from trading depth for high draft picks.

If nothing else Davis will be a weapon inside the rz but I have seen some teams try and develop the 2TE set the most notable is Dallas Clark an Ben Utept when they were in Indy together .

Utecht was a 4th round pick, and never had more than 377 yards in a season, and played in a prolific offense.

The cowboys in recent years have tried to develop the 2TE set selecting 2nd round Franso (sp) and Bennett to compliment Witten but for one reason or another then it never worked out ...

The Cowboys were loaded enough to spend 2nds on luxuries.

And that's what a 2nd tight end is - a LUXURY. A 2nd or 3rd round pick could be a starting lineman, nose tackle, cornerback, or linebacker. Those are needs.

The fact is, the resistance to trading Cooley stems from the fact that he's popular, he's well-liked, and he's a leader. If Cooley had the personality of Shockey, I'm sure lots of people will be clamoring to trade him. Yet at this point, having both Cooley and Davis is a luxury.

To me, a 2nd TE is like a great slot WR - nice to have, but you'd trade him for a 2nd any day. What happened to valuing draft picks?

You do NOT make moves under the assumption of injury, especially when the alternative is a potential starter.

There are plenty of pass catching TEs that can be serviceable in case of injury in FA. And a TE, while solid, should never be a gamebreaker for your offense.

This board absolutely PANNED Vinny for drafting Fred Davis in the first place! We spent a 2nd round pick on TE depth. But you would pass up a trade for a 2nd and 3rd, or 2nd and 4 to *maintain* TE depth, especially considering that Davis is already putting up borderline Pro Bowl numbers in year 2 as the primary offensive weapon?

Depth is nice, but you do not trade high draft picks for depth, nor do you refrain from trading depth for high draft picks.

Utecht was a 4th round pick, and never had more than 377 yards in a season, and played in a prolific offense.

And that's what a 2nd tight end is - a LUXURY. A 2nd or 3rd round pick could be a starting lineman, nose tackle, cornerback, or linebacker. Those are needs.

The fact is, the resistance to trading Cooley stems from the fact that he's popular, he's well-liked, and he's a leader. If Cooley had the personality of Shockey, I'm sure lots of people will be clamoring to trade him. Yet at this point, having both Cooley and Davis is a luxury.

To me, a 2nd TE is like a great slot WR - nice to have, but you'd trade him for a 2nd any day. What happened to valuing draft picks?

Definitely want to keep Cooley and Davis, but damn. One hell of a post! :cheers:

I'm off the fence. You swayed my decision :D

I understand and appreciate we are rebuilding, but Cooley is the one and only player I do not want to see traded.

That's exactly where I am.

I wouldn't care if Cooley were at any position; the person adds way more to this team than can be measured by his backup or the potential at a second-round pick.

If it comes down to it, yeah sure, trade Davis. I think I'd rather trade Davis for a 3rd than Cooley for a 2nd. But I don't really see Davis declining in production, seeing that you didn't see a drop-off as the season went on. I think he'll hit a wall, but he'll get through it if he maintains his work ethic.

I definitely think Davis has a chance to be better than Cooley. Cooley, as great as he is, isn't really a downfield threat, nor is he a threat to split out wide. However, I doubt Davis could be the leader Cooley is, and Cooley is only 27. Cooley's leadership is hard to replace though, but at the same time, we need to be rebuilding with a 5 year time horizon. Even at 27, does Cooley really fit? A 5 year building plan usually involves both young guys or older vets who will be nearing the end by the time the plan comes to fruition.

At the same time, I want us to take Clausen (or Bradford if there) at #4. Cooley's skillset is basically "QB's best friend". Always open, can always make plays after the catch, leader, great in the locker room...it might be a disservice to Jimmy or Sam to dump Cooley, at least this year.

At the same time, we need picks badly.

Everyone is too high on Davis. He did well last season and is not under the radar anymore. Look for opposing defenses too easily shut him down this year. Cooley is proven and a role model attitude. Trade Davis.

I'm all for Cooley, but don't hate on Davis. He played at a pretty elite level last year, and I was very down on sleepy before. He was never shut down and everyone knew where the ball was going if Campbell even got a chance to throw it.

Cooley is my favorite player in the NFL next to Brett Farve.

However, if we can get a 2nd and 4th (which we won't, it would most likely be a 2nd/5th) you HAVE to pull the trigger if you are the Washington Redskins.

Cooley is the clear-cut #1 fan's choice, but as a leader we are not talking about losing a Drew Brees or Keith Brooking here. Cooley, like many of our offensive "leaders" is not a vocal guy and #47 seems to cling to certain friends on the team who have little-to-no impact on the field whatsoever. His best friends are CB5 and Yoder, right? He is an interestingly low-key guy, which makes him so like-able, but not necessarily this great TEAM LEADER that certain people are making him out to be.

Like I said, Cooley is easily my fav Skin and I will never stop wearing his jersey or rooting for him. However! Davis is younger, faster, bigger, and if given 16 starts last year would have statistically dominated Cooley's best season in 2007. We need more picks, we need more young guys-- if there is a 2nd round pick involved in the trade, we need to say goodbye to CC47 for now.

(But I have a strange feeling he will end his career in B&G no matter what happens this offseason.)

Archived