Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: As a Skins fan, Should I hate the Ravens and Why?

skinsarethebest

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Not surprised that the MD contingent is the most anti-Raven. I live in Ellicott City - about halfway between the beltways - and the Ravens fans are highly annoying. Example, after the Saints win to open the season a guy said " I saw some purple in that team".

I will admit that the root of my annoyance is largely because they have been successful while we have been struggling, and the bandwagon nature of their fans. As a result, if you go into a Wal-mart or Target up here you are likely to find, in addition to a sea of purple, more Steelers and Cowboys gear than Redskins, .

I also have issues with Ray Lewis' disappearing fur coat and their abysmal colors.

All fans outside of Maryland need to read this and put yourselves in our shoes. We have witnessed, through the past 10-13 years, parts of central Maryland transform completely from redskins country to ravens country, all while we chose to stay loyal to the team we love. We're viewed as the "bad guys" or "traitors" of the area when in fact we are the only loyal ones left. How can you not understand our bitterness?

Who cares? Do you want a prize or something? I'm from VA and I could care less if VA got a pro sports team and a lot of Va redskins fans left to support the true "hometown" team. Same thing for Carolina skins fans when the Panthers showed up. It's what happens and is perfectly acceptable. It sucks you are now surrounded in Ravens country. That's nothing to be bitter about.

Also, I've never understood the annoying fan comments. How annoying do you think most Redskins fan were during the 80s? My dad is still an annoying obnoxious Redskins fan from the 80s to this day.

Just admit that people hate them because they've been winning while we have been embarrassing. it sounds like a lot of sour grapes to me by you guys.

Aren't pretty much all fans annoying? I mean, I hear other fans **** on us all the time.

I really don't mind the Ravens (sans the uniforms). I don't really root for them and for the AFC North, I'd rather see Cleveland do well, so I guess they're just in the middle for me.

I pretty much feel the same about the 49ers, so I'm pulling for the more local team this time. Mainly, I'm just happy it's not anther New England vs. Giants SB. Also, I think it would be fun to be in this area and have the Redskins / Ravens and Nats / O's do well / make the playoffs on a regular basis.

Two years later and another Superbowl appearance and the ravens still don't matter.

I'll be cheering for the 49er's because my mother was born and raised in SanFran and I've spent a ton of time out there.

My parents retired from this area to Napa Valley so I still go out there a lot.

Who cares? Do you want a prize or something? I'm from VA and I could care less if VA got a pro sports team and a lot of Va redskins fans left to support the true "hometown" team. Same thing for Carolina skins fans when the Panthers showed up. It's what happens and is perfectly acceptable. It sucks you are now surrounded in Ravens country. That's nothing to be bitter about.

Also, I've never understood the annoying fan comments. How annoying do you think most Redskins fan were during the 80s? My dad is still an annoying obnoxious Redskins fan from the 80s to this day.

Just admit that people hate them because they've been winning while we have been embarrassing. it sounds like a lot of sour grapes to me by you guys.

don't need an award, but I do feel like I'm better than any bandwagon jumper becasue I'm loyal.

And you dont know anything about Howard County. You can't relate it to the Carolina situation, becasue we are the central most county in the Baltimore/Washington area. Naturally there should be a mix of fans here, but not to the extent it is now. I work for the county, our god damn executive declares it Ravens country and even had a bet against the PG county executive when we played the ravens this year. Something about the symbolism of my county executive betting against my home town team that really bothers me.

No doubt their recent success and our lack there of has caused this shift, but my hate doesn't stem from jealousy as much as my disdain for bandwagon jumpers.

After the 2000 season, when the Redskins were expected to win the super bowl and instead ended 8-8 with their head coach being fired, the Ravens had a great year.

In their first playoff game I was excited for them and rooting for them. Then A friend sent me a picture of the staid um Jumbotron that said "todays attendance..79,000 (Or whatever the number was)...Fedex field...0"

Hated them since...

I used to not care about the ravens and actually didn't mind seeing them do well, other than some slight trash talk to friends who are ravens fans. However, a hatred of them has been slowly increasing ever since they hired Harbough. The guy may be a great guy, but he just rubs me the wrong way. I get a pompous, arrogant vibe from he and his brother. True or not, its my prerogative to not like him and I don't. If only there was a way they could both lose in the Super Bowl. I was actually rooting for ATL to go all the way.

Excellent point. Nothing wrong with supporting with the local team. The only reason why I become a redskin fan was because it was the nearest home team. Not because of our 3 Vince Lombardi bowl trophies & not because of our uniforms.

I do understand the frustration of living in Maryland and seeing Raven fans everywhere. Times are changing & appears that Maryland's official team is becoming the Ravens, sadly. (raising serious concern if keeping the stadium in Maryland is a safe idea?) But maybe if we become consistent winner, we will take back Maryland.

I like Ray Lewis, I think Flacco is overrated, and I love Ozzie Newsome. My main issue is with their horrible fanbase. They a sore losers, and even worse winners. They are envious of everything that has to do with Washington out of pure jealousy. It's their fans that force me to root against them just so I don't have to hear or see their showboating fans bragging because the Ravens are the only pro franchise they can actually be proud of.

In response to some comments above. I don't hate them because they are a winners and I don't think many hate them for that reason. I did not start out hating them. Even now, dislike or "I don't like them" might be a better word/phrase for my feelings towards them. Most people are just turned off by their head coach and fan behavior. I have friends who are Ravens fans and while I trash talk to them, I usually send them a congrats text after a win. They usually don't do the same. Also, a bunch of their fans were proud that they caused RG3 initial injury that eventually led to our demise in the playoff game.

I don't really care about the Ravens. I do like Harbaugh, though. I don't know enough Ravens fans to warrant a hatred for them. Usually, fans make me hate a team more than anything....and since I don't really know any, they are just a blip on the radar.

edit: I do have more of a negative feeling towards them than positive. And I don't want them to win another superbowl. Definitely rooting for the 49ers.

I hate the Ravens because of their fans. For some reason they always bash the Skins for absolutely no reason.

Last night a mate was out wearing his Redskins shirt and a bunch of Ratbirds fans made snarky, upon snarky comments about his colours. He recently got into football a couple of two years ago and he already hates Baltimore just because their fans are so obnoxious (which is why he choose to be a Skins fan over the Raisins).

His wife is a Colts fan but last night she was rooting for the Patriots to win because she hates Balt too (and she despises NE and Tom Brady).

At this point I dislike Balt more than the Giants, Eagles, and Cowboys combined!

In fairness though, the city of Cleveland gave Art Modell the runaround. He had done a lot to support the various projects such as a stadium for the Indians and an eventual new arena for the Cavs. When it came time for them to build him a stadium, they balked. I can understand why he's hated in Cleveland, but there are two sides.

Actually, it was Modell who balked. As operater of Cleveland Stadium, he refused to share suite revenue with the Indians, so the Indians left for Jacob's field. He thought he wouldn't lose revenue when they left, but he was wrong, to the tune of $21M (''94). In 1995 he requested an issue be placed on the ballot to provide $175 million in tax dollars to refurbish the outmoded and declining Cleveland Stadium. On Nov. 7, it was overwhelmingly passed by the Cleveland voters. Problem was, he had just signed a contract with Baltimore on Nov. 6 and could care less how they voted. He wanted a new stadium... one that Cleveland eventually built. He was better than Irsay in the fact that the name and all stayed in Cleveland. That's about it.

I hate the Ravens because of their fans. For some reason they always bash the Skins for absolutely no reason.

Last night a mate was out wearing his Redskins shirt and a bunch of Ratbirds fans made snarky, upon snarky comments about his colours. He recently got into football a couple of two years ago and he already hates Baltimore just because their fans are so obnoxious (which is why he choose to be a Skins fan over the Raisins).

His wife is a Colts fan but last night she was rooting for the Patriots to win because she hates Balt too (and she despises NE and Tom Brady).

At this point I dislike Balt more than the Giants, Eagles, and Cowboys combined!

A buddy of mine, who is also from baltimore (but is an Eagles' fan) were up last night talking about how obnoxious Ravens fans are... I can deal with other teams' fans for the most part, because they've been through the ebb and flow of success and mediocrity for being in the league so long. The Ravens are a young franchise (17 seasons), and really haven't experienced what its like to go through the REALLY tough times . They talk **** like times will always be like they are, which they WILL NOT!! Soon they won't have Pastor Ray or Ed Reed or even Suggs. And Lord knows i can't wait for the Redskins to be a perennial contender as they're left to deal with continual 6-10 or 5-11 seasons. I'm totally sick and tired of their ignorant fans, who don't know a damn thing outside of the Ravens. Can't even have a half way decent convo with them about football, because most of them don't know ****!!! :mad:

don't need an award, but I do feel like I'm better than any bandwagon jumper becasue I'm loyal.

And you dont know anything about Howard County. You can't relate it to the Carolina situation, becasue we are the central most county in the Baltimore/Washington area. Naturally there should be a mix of fans here, but not to the extent it is now. I work for the county, our god damn executive declares it Ravens country and even had a bet against the PG county executive when we played the ravens this year. Something about the symbolism of my county executive betting against my home town team that really bothers me.

No doubt their recent success and our lack there of has caused this shift, but my hate doesn't stem from jealousy as much as my disdain for bandwagon jumpers.

I don' know how you can say that with any certainty outside of a handful of examples you know of specifically. For all you know, the majority of the Ravens fanbase are just old Colts fans who once latched on to the Redskins as their local team for 25 years or whatever it was when the Colts packed up for Indy. They went back when MD got their own team back to get behind.

I also, see very little problem with any executive or mayor or whatever declaring his county, Ravens country. It is their state team, why would that possibly be a slap in the face to you? Do you hate the OKC Thunder fans? They were probably Maverick, Spur or Rocket fans before fate granted them a team to call their own.

As far as bandwagon jumpers, I guess you hate a large majority of Redskins fans too. We are getting and will continue to get a huge crowd of bandwagon fans with RG3 and our continued success. I wouldn't want some Ravens fan since birth painting the broad brush you just did hating on Redskins fans as bandwagon jumpers...

Your hate and anger seems misplaced.

Think this question (in some form) came up during the week prior to our game vs the buzzards. I live in Va., and have followed the Skins since '72. Personally, I feel no intense passion....one way or another....toward the buzzards. Down here in Va. Bch...we have a pretty diverse football fan base due in large part to the constant influx of military personnel. I see far more steeler and cowgirl fans down here than buzzard fans.

Even at the game vs the buzzards, there were some purple clad fans sitting around us, and I noticed only good natured barbs being thrown back and forth between the fan bases.

To me, the cowgirls will always be my #1 hated rival for the Redskins. At least the Ravens have won, and are a fairly consistent winner thusfar. The girlz are still living off of the triplets reputation, and Jimmy Johnson's ability as a HC.

I guess I'm neutral about the Ravens for now. Like the above poster said, in this area of VA the Steelers/Cowboys fan are the most annoying, especially because of the fans that claim to be a fan of both teams :rolleyes:. Hearing about how you fans that live in Northern VA, DC and Maryland have to deal with the obnoxious Ravens fans and how they laughed at the RG3 injury leans me toward the side of not liking them in the future though.

Hearing about how you fans that live in Northern VA, DC and Maryland have to deal with the obnoxious Ravens fans and how they laughed at the RG3 injury leans me toward the side of not liking them in the future though.

I just read on the Ravens board where they were discussing how to stop the Pistol Offense.

One of them said something along the lines of "Maybe Ngata can lay the big hit again! :)" (smiley face included).

**** them, their stupid bandwagon fans, and their ****ty "city".

Archived