Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: As a Skins fan, Should I hate the Ravens and Why?

skinsarethebest

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

If you live in Maryland you should hate them.

1. Because national companies only seem to notice that Baltimore is IN Maryland when ordering their NFL gear, our stores are flooded with it. Finding Redskins gear is increasingly more difficult. I once went to the Sports Authority in Landover,, I could literally see Fedex field from the parking lot, and there were 4 Ravens Jerseys to every one for the Redskins.

2. When the Browns came to Baltimore, our illustrious governor Parris Glendenning gave Art Modell a quarter of a BILLION dollars to relocate the team. 250 million bucks out of our treasury. Did we get a vote?

No we did not. Do we now have to look at gambling to fund our SCHOOLS?

Yes. Yes we do.

How is this related?

well, a quarter BILLION dollars isn't a small sum. Add to that the taxpayer money that built the stadium. Add into that the clause that gave Modell 100% of the revenue from parking, concessions and other stadium services.

Oh, and the Ravens don't pay any tax in Maryland on the money they earn, thanks to the nice litle deal Modell got. Oh, and guess what? The Orioles have a clause n their contract with the state that says that if any other professional sports team in Maryland gets a better deal than they do, then their deal is changed to equal it.

So now Peter Angelos doesn't pay any taxes on the Orioles either.

How much has the Ravens cost us? It's over a billion dollars by now and since they never pay tax, that number will only go up.

Now, to top it alllllll off.. three years later Modell cried that he was broke, and was forced to sell the team.

Where did our money go?

How does one go broke with those kinds of gifts?

Who knows, but Modell did. A quarter BILLION of OUR money, gone up in smoke with absolutely nothing in place to help recoup any of it.

If you live in Maryland and you own a home, your property tax has gone up roughly 6% because of the Ravens ALONE.

I wouldn't mind so much if we'd have had a vote on it. If we had, and the people spoke and said "Give Art Modell all of our surplus", then so be it.

But no, we did this the old fashioned way, and each of us here in MD has paid and will perpetually pay the price for it.

~Bang

I don't hate the Ravens, but I'm not a fan of them. In fact, there are only 2 teams I thoroughly hate and thats the Cowboys and the Steelers. With that being said, I have the utmost respect for Reed, Lewis, and Harbaugh and I'm pulling for them to win the SB this year.

All this "I hate the Ravens, because their fans hate us" crap is childish and some people really need to wake up and smell what they are shoveling.

I don't hate the Ravens, but I'm not a fan of them. In fact, there are only 2 teams I thoroughly hate and thats the Cowboys and the Steelers. With that being said, I have the utmost respect for Reed, Lewis, and Harbaugh and I'm pulling for them to win the SB this year.

All this "I hate the Ravens, because their fans hate us" crap is childish and some people really need to wake up and smell what they are shoveling.

How is it childish? I have had to deal with years of unprovoked, poorly reasoned hatred towards the Skins from Ravens fans on a daily basis. Their fans in my area treat the Redskins as if they are bitter rivals. Not quite something that will endear someone to a team. I don't see how that is childish.

If you live in Maryland you should hate them.

1. Because national companies only seem to notice that Baltimore is IN Maryland when ordering their NFL gear, our stores are flooded with it. Finding Redskins gear is increasingly more difficult. I once went to the Sports Authority in Landover,, I could literally see Fedex field from the parking lot, and there were 4 Ravens Jerseys to every one for the Redskins.

2. When the Browns came to Baltimore, our illustrious governor Parris Glendenning gave Art Modell a quarter of a BILLION dollars to relocate the team. 250 million bucks out of our treasury. Did we get a vote?

No we did not. Do we now have to look at gambling to fund our SCHOOLS?

Yes. Yes we do.

How is this related?

well, a quarter BILLION dollars isn't a small sum. Add to that the taxpayer money that built the stadium. Add into that the clause that gave Modell 100% of the revenue from parking, concessions and other stadium services.

Oh, and the Ravens don't pay any tax in Maryland on the money they earn, thanks to the nice litle deal Modell got. Oh, and guess what? The Orioles have a clause n their contract with the state that says that if any other professional sports team in Maryland gets a better deal than they do, then their deal is changed to equal it.

So now Peter Angelos doesn't pay any taxes on the Orioles either.

How much has the Ravens cost us? It's over a billion dollars by now and since they never pay tax, that number will only go up.

Now, to top it alllllll off.. three years later Modell cried that he was broke, and was forced to sell the team.

Where did our money go?

How does one go broke with those kinds of gifts?

Who knows, but Modell did. A quarter BILLION of OUR money, gone up in smoke with absolutely nothing in place to help recoup any of it.

If you live in Maryland and you own a home, your property tax has gone up roughly 6% because of the Ravens ALONE.

I wouldn't mind so much if we'd have had a vote on it. If we had, and the people spoke and said "Give Art Modell all of our surplus", then so be it.

But no, we did this the old fashioned way, and each of us here in MD has paid and will perpetually pay the price for it.

~Bang

(1) Your sports store near Landover is selling more Ravens gear than Redskins gear because, at the moment, the Ravens are the more popular team due to playoff status. Relax ... Redskins gear will return next season.

(2) the stadium financing and your 6% property tax "analysis" is so wrong that it shouldn't be addressed. But I will!

The stadium in Baltimore was built with no State tax money. Period. It was funded completely by a sports lottery. No one put a gun to the head of any Marylander to purchase the lottery tickets. There is absolutely no correlation between a sports lottery and the property tax. Gimme a break.

Your stadium, however, did involve close to $100 million of state and local tax money, in the construction of the Arena Drive interchange and the Wilson Farms land acquisition.

The same reason that Orioles fans hate the Nats....an expansion team stealing your team's fanbase.

Not to mention, their fans are annoying, Baltimore is a filthy city, Ray Lewis is an idiot, etc.

Im with you bigtime.

I despise every team involving the city of Baltimore and the Maryland Terps actually.

I would literally skip watching the SB if it were to be the Ravens vs. Eagles....that would be torture knowing one of them has to win.

I HATE THE RAVENS. It really BLOWS that the Titans gave that game away...now every other day there is some sort of RAVENS-RELATED topic on the damm board. Please Pittsburgh....end the raturds season..ive never wanted anything more in my life. :)

For me, the Ravens as a team are just part of the background noise in the NFL.

I don't notice them expect for some major hype or events.

The fans on the other hand.... them I am rapidly growing to hate. The typical seventh city mentality of Baltimore has rubbed off on these folks rendering them perpetually obnoxious. Seriously in need of a life.

If I don't care about the Ravens, why do they care so much about hating the Skins?

How is that childish? Do you work with Raven fans ? I have a whole office of them and they are annoying as hell they continue to throw thier one fluke superbowl win in our faces on daily basis.

They always coming up to us Redskin fans saying well the Ravens going to the superbowl this year where are the deadskins ?

I mean come on they are a bunch pathetic, annoying, band wagon jumping idiots. I think they have the Cowboys fan base beat.

At least with some Cowboy fans you can carry on a very good conversation about football with Raven fans no way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burgundy&Gold4Ever viewpost.gif

I've hated the Ravens ever since their inception. I'll always despise a team that steals a team from another city. It's particularly outrageous for Baltimore to do it. They moan and cry about the Colts being stolen from them -- and then they do the same thing to Cleveland!

I said steals a team from another city. I don't think Washington stole the team from Boston. Nobody was showing up to games there, even when the team was good. I have no problem with a team relocating under those circumstances.

P.S. How do you use the multi-quote feature? I've never figured it out. I don't want to sidetrack the thread, but if someone could PM me with instructions, I'd appreciate it!

Does it occur to you that the city of Cleveland refused to build a new stadium for Art Modell, and that is the main reason the Browns moved to Baltimore? His team was losing money in Cleveland, and he saw his only way out by moving to Baltimore. In fact, he voted against Baltimore getting an expansion franchise because he saw Baltimore as his 'way out.' Sure, Baltimore fans are grateful now for Modell, but if you want to hate, then it should be directed at Art Modell, and he doesn't even own the team anymore.

I hate the Ravens. Their fans are crying now that they're offense doesn't get any respect. Boo-hoo. I hate the Steelers fans more. Their TOTALLY obnoxious and I can deal with the Ravens winning 2 SB's more than I can deal with Steeler fans never shutting up about their 6. :doh: But if either 2 play the Eagles in the SB... let the annoyance begin.

DAMN YOU TITANS... CHARGERS!!! :mad:

I don't really hate the Ravens but I don't really care about them either. I am not rooting for them on Sunday, I'd rather see the Steelers win. I don't hop on the bandwagon when they go to the playoffs. I don't envy their defense or the success of their own first year coach. I hope they don't win another Super Bowl.

So yeah... I hate the Ravens.

I don't have a problem with them , but then again I've had little exposure to their fanbase. Except that one time I had a roommate who was from that area back at VT. That was the year the Ravens and Redskins played at FedEx (2004) and I was pretty upset that night but other than that I really have no problem with the Ravens or their fanbase

No issue with them whatsoever.

If they "stole" fans of ours when they moved into Baltimore then were they really fans in the first place? Those aren't the kind of people I want cheering for the 'Skins so Baltimore can have them.

Infact I'm a big fan of Baltimore. Rex Ryan is a defensive genius and they have done an amazing job in the draft picking the players that fit their schemes best and turning everyone who jumps on their field on D into a great player. I have nothing but respect for the team.

The owner is an ass for leaving Cleveland the way he did. But then again Baltimore deserved a team again after the way Indy originally left them. So what goes around comes around I guess.

I'm from Maryland born and raised, and I don't mind if the Ravens do well. If I had a "second team," the Ravens would be that team. However, I don't really believe in having a second team, and when the Washington Redskins play the Ravens there is NO QUESTION which team has my loyalty.

:logo: HAIL

Does it occur to you that the city of Cleveland refused to build a new stadium for Art Modell, and that is the main reason the Browns moved to Baltimore? His team was losing money in Cleveland, and he saw his only way out by moving to Baltimore. In fact, he voted against Baltimore getting an expansion franchise because he saw Baltimore as his 'way out.' Sure, Baltimore fans are grateful now for Modell, but if you want to hate, then it should be directed at Art Modell, and he doesn't even own the team anymore.

I forgot about that stadium issue. I just remembered that there was a loyal fanbase there, yet the team got relocated anyway. I'm skeptical that there was no way to work out things and stay in Cleveland if Modell had really wanted to do so, so I'll always feel that the Ravens team was stolen from the loyal fans in Cleveland. That crazy solution about starting over w/ a new Browns team is besides the point.

I'll add that, if the Ravens had been an expansion team, I'd have no problem with them.

When I was growing up, the Ravens didn't even exist. It's not the point that I hate the Ravens team, but I hate their fans. Many of their fans were once Redskins fans who jumped ship when Matt Stover took them to the Super Bowl...hence creating their fan identity and loyalty, or lack there of.

As a youngster, how can anyone born post-1987 like the Ravens? If you are 21 years of age or younger, the Ravens weren't even here when you were growing up....it was the Redskins! I understand that some children are born into tradition (possibly of their parents or grandparents) but there are many that are not.

The Redskins are the team for D.C., Maryland, and Virginia....period. Again, it's not the Ravens players....its the wannabe loyal fans.

I am from MD. and I hate, hate, hate the Ratbirds. Can't stand them! Their fans complained that our owner allegedly kept football out of Baltimore to the tune of 12 years. I can tell you that their owners of baseball colluded to keep baseball out of the nations capital for 35! I felt bad for the Colts fans, but sorry Ravens you are guilty of taking another city's team. I guess because you got cheated on, you felt that it was OK to do that to someone else.

Can't stand the Ravens. They are right up there with the Panthers fans. Just a bunch of fairweather fans when their team is down, they clear right out of the stadium.

Observations (somewhat surprising so far): MD Skins fans have some serious hate for the Ravens, while VA Skins fans more likely to be cool with them. Also, surprisingly, people with no ties to the area but who just love the Skins feeling a lot of hate for the Ravens.

I think you hit the nail on the head. I've got no real beef with em. But I support my fellow Redskins fans in all endeavors

Archived