Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: As a Skins fan, Should I hate the Ravens and Why?

skinsarethebest

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Its the same story as it always has been. Baltimore hates DC and DC just doesnt care. Thats the way its always been. The disdain Baltimore has for the DC metro is of no concern to the natives 'round here. We prefer to compete with the New Yorks and Bostons of the world while Baltimore is more like Buffalo or Cleveland. They are a 2nd tier city and they hate and blame us for their position in the world. I dont know why anyone would care about Baltimore enough to hate them.

Its the same story as it always has been. Baltimore hates DC and DC just doesnt care. Thats the way its always been. The disdain Baltimore has for the DC metro is of no concern to the natives 'round here. We prefer to compete with the New Yorks and Bostons of the world while Baltimore is more like Buffalo or Cleveland. They are a 2nd tier city and they hate and blame us for their position in the world. I dont know why anyone would care about Baltimore enough to hate them.

:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

• 4 years later...

This is not even true and the poll proves my point. So many Skins fans concerned about Ravens fans, its ridiculous. U have beef with them why? Cause their fans talk **** about your team that has more Super Bowls and you catch feelings cause their team is better at the time. DUMB. Yall need to stop that ****, you make yourselves look stupid. Its a ****in AFC team that has no connection to our team whatsoever outside of a yearly preseason game. So dumb. I know I dont live in that area anymore but you all make yourselves look retarded cause we have no connection to that team at all. I dont care what your reasoning is, its dumb. Redskins fans shouldnt even worrying about the Ravens. I applaud them for representing our area in the AFC.

Actually, I think it is more a case of new team syndrome, where the new team to an area has its fans trying to establish themselves so they do stuff to separate themselves from the old team. The most common tactic is trashing the old team and starting ****, even if there isn't a direct rivalry.

DC is NOT neutral towards Baltimore when it comes to baseball. Nats fans all pulled the same stunts towards the Orioles as Ravens fans did towards the Redskins, so it's not like the *******s are limited only to Baltimore; plenty of DC folk pull the same crap as Baltimore folk, just with a different team. Neither one of which actually makes sense as they are not direct rivals, but was really just a result of fans trash talking as a way to establish themselves in an area previously dominated by the old team.

I don't like the Ravens' fans, and as an Orioles fan I don't like too many Nats fans. All the ones I know talk constant crap about my teams, still, which at this point is ridiculous. Heck, my facebook was littered with idiot Ravens fans friends of mine making fun of RG3's injury after they lost to us. I had to waste time calling each of them out on it, though they did at least apologize and say they were just pissed about losing to us. But that really shows the pathetic mentality they have towards the Skins. So I don't hate the Ravens nor the Nats, I just dislike their fans for their actions and it makes it hard to root for either team as a result. It is incredibly stupid too, because people could easily be fans of both teams and have little-to-no conflict with doing so.

From what I've been gathering, the #1 source of Ravens hate amongst us Skins fans is an intense dislike of their fanbase.

For me, that always has seemed like an odd basis on which to develop a hatred of a team, but maybe I have the benefit of not being around that many of their fans, especially the more vocal/annoying ones, since I no longer live in DC and have lived in NYC for almost all of my adult life.

On the flip side, the main reason I love the Skins is a sense of allegiance to anything connected with the city in which I was born and raised (i.e., D.C.). And to the extent the Ravens have some sort of local connection/proximity to that city, I can't really find it in me to hate them, and have to admit I even will probably root for them against the Niners. And on top of that, there's a shared overlap between DC and Baltimore in other sports, which would certainly cut in favor of being pro-Ravens (the fact that the Bullets/Wizards were originally the Baltimore Bullets; the fact that til the Nats arrived, the Os were the DC area's de facto baseball team).

There are two other reasons I will definitely root AGAINST a team (aside from the obvious "historical rivalry" reasons, e.g., Cowboys). The first is a painful history of loss (or losses) against a particular team, even if it goes back decades. Hence my inability to ever really pull for: the Giants (see the 80s), the Raiders (see SB XVIII), the 49ers (them winning more SBs than us in the 80s), and now, most definitely, the Seahawks (whom I will almost always root against now, no matter what the game or who the opponent is). The other reason I personally have to despise certain teams is when they have a particular player that has left and then trash-talked my Skins. So that means any team that Carlos Rogers is on, any team that Champ Bailey is on, any team that Antonio Pierce is on, etc., etc., In fact, if any of you know of anyone I'm missing, please let me know, and I will definitely add the team they're on to my "hated" list.

Anyway, if anyone thinks my logic is totally off base, I'd be curious as to why you think it is. At the end of the day, it's not like there's really any "right" or "wrong" as to which teams (other than the Skins) you feel ok with or not. It's just a gut kind of thing, if you ask me....

Memo to self:

From now on when the Redskins play the Stolen Browns in the regular season, do not root for a Redskin win. Seems like a Skins victory is the only time the Stolen Browns go to a Super Bowl.

What an awful Super Bowl. Two douche teams led by douche head coaches with two groups of douche fans. Only worse Super Bowl would have been an NFC East team or the kings of piped sound (Seattle) going.

Memo to self:

From now on when the Redskins play the Stolen Browns in the regular season, do not root for a Redskin win. Seems like a Skins victory is the only time the Stolen Browns go to a Super Bowl.

The ownership move is the only real reason I dislike the Ravens a bit. The Cleveland Browns were every bit as loyal and passionate as any fanbase in the country back in the day despite very limited success. The Modell's screwed their fanbase, snuck away in the night, and fled to Balitmore. It was so ugly that the NFL decided it had to do something to make it up to Cleveland.

The team itself I don't have much against. I don't dislike Rice, Bolden, Flacco, Jones, or Ed Reed. Ray Lewis is a bit of a different story, but what can ya do. That said, at this point, I still prefer the Ravens to the Patriots. I'm pretty content to say genius Bill lose a shot at another one.

If what happened to Cleveland was bad, wasn't the Baltimore situation 13 years before even worse? That was one of the first times that we saw an owner publically holding a city hostage, and unfortunately it happened with a team with historic roots (and a local team at that). Furthermore, there's one big difference between Art Modell and Robert Irsay. Modell was up front about the fact that he was moving the team. If I recall, we knew that the Browns were moving to Baltimore sometime in October. Irsay swore literally right up until the Mayflower vans drove up to the Colts' facility that they weren't moving. He promised the mayor that he'd call if he was going to move the team, which of course he didn't. (That part is probably Schaefer's fault for trusting a dishonest boozer that could have cared less about the city or the people there.) Then everyone woke up one morning and the Baltimore Colts were the Indianapolis Colts. Irsay's attitude seemed to be "oh well...I guess I lied."

I'm not a fan of teams moving in general, because the real losers are the fans. If I had my way they'd still be the Baltimore Colts, and the original Cleveland Browns would still be there. In fairness though, the city of Cleveland gave Art Modell the runaround. He had done a lot to support the various projects such as a stadium for the Indians and an eventual new arena for the Cavs. When it came time for them to build him a stadium, they balked. I can understand why he's hated in Cleveland, but there are two sides.

This is not even true and the poll proves my point. So many Skins fans concerned about Ravens fans, its ridiculous. U have beef with them why? Cause their fans talk **** about your team that has more Super Bowls and you catch feelings cause their team is better at the time. DUMB. Yall need to stop that ****, you make yourselves look stupid. Its a ****in AFC team that has no connection to our team whatsoever outside of a yearly preseason game. So dumb. I know I dont live in that area anymore but you all make yourselves look retarded cause we have no connection to that team at all. I dont care what your reasoning is, its dumb. Redskins fans shouldnt even worrying about the Ravens. I applaud them for representing our area in the AFC.

DC and Baltimore are night and day and only 30 minutes away. You want everyone to care less by showing how much you care? This doesn't make much sense. In terms of fans, there's a whole lot more I dislike than the Ravens. And as far as making an area look bad....outside the Georgia Dome they're stabbing people..

Makes you guys look like disgusting pathetic morons.

I hate 'em b/c they're the Ravens and they have purple unis...I do like Ray Lewis tho..he's a beast..lol

This is what I maintain...but w/some additions..their fanbase are obnoxious nimrods for the most part...Ray is still a beast(I don't like his stupid lil pregame dance..ugh! Seriously you're a grown man..)..and commands a lot of man crushes...I don't care for Suggs, Reed, or Flacco...Rice is a beast as well..but for the most part they're not on my radar b/c they're an AFC team...that's why I want the lesser of the 2 douchebag teams to win..49ers..only b/c they're a NFC team and only b/c they're playin the Ravens..

My attitude towards them is ambivalence. Who cares about your little relocated franchise that you like to think of as an expansion team so you can absolve your conscience of stealing another city's team the way Indianapolis did to your Colts, Johnny-come-lately? Wow, your official history goes all the way back to 1995. They play in a division does have seven Lombardis - only six of them belong to one team. They'll always be the Browns to me. Redskins fans, don't feed their craving for a rivalry with us by hating them; it's what they want and what they don't deserve. Save your hate for Dallas and Philly. Bottom line is congrats to them for reaching the Super Bowl, but really, in the end, they don't matter.

I'll never understand how a ravens fan being vocal about supporting their teams means they are an *******, but a redskins fan being vocal in support of their team is commited, and a true fan.

I've lived in Baltimore for 12 years now. I encounter far more "good" ravens fans than bad ones. But maybe because I choose not to associate with *******s. If you are constantly being assaulted by ravens fans verbally, perhaps you need to stop being around *******s.

Even after we beat them this year, I had multiple people at work giving the skins their proper respects. Not tearing them down.

The Ravens are an expansion team, win or lose as long as they're not playing the skins, who cares... the end.

PS I know one Ravens fan, and he's pretty cool unlike those obnoxious NBD fans.

They'll always be the Cleveland browns... that's the franchise they originated from and came from... so bill belichick lost to his former team

I'll never understand how a ravens fan being vocal about supporting their teams means they are an *******, but a redskins fan being vocal in support of their team is commited, and a true fan.

I've lived in Baltimore for 12 years now. I encounter far more "good" ravens fans than bad ones. But maybe because I choose not to associate with *******s. If you are constantly being assaulted by ravens fans verbally, perhaps you need to stop being around *******s.

Even after we beat them this year, I had multiple people at work giving the skins their proper respects. Not tearing them down.

I'm curious to how old you are. I'm only asking because I have observed it is mostly a generation thing. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that most of the Raven/Redskins hatred comes from people my ageish (20's).

I personally started hating the ravens in 2000 when I observed a ton of my friends/classmates jump to the ravens bandwagon when they won the superbowl. Now-a-days I feel like a minority in howard county whenever I rep my skins gear. I'm ashamed that so many people can be so unloyal to the skins just because a new winning team comes to town. Makes me sick to this day.

I'm curious to how old you are. I'm only asking because I have observed it is mostly a generation thing. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that most of the Raven/Redskins hatred comes from people my ageish (20's).

I personally started hating the ravens in 2000 when I observed a ton of my friends/classmates jump to the ravens bandwagon when they won the superbowl. Now-a-days I feel like a minority in howard county whenever I rep my skins gear. I'm ashamed that so many people can be so unloyal to the skins just because a new winning team comes to town. Makes me sick to this day.

I'm 36. I wear my skins hat nearly everywhere I go on the weekends. Very rarely I'll hear some good natured ribbing. Never anything downright hostile or angry.

You were 10 when the Ravens won their SB. I can't fault a 10 year old for switching teams. There were a ton of O's fans in DC who ditched them when the Nats came to town. But that's excused. Not so much when people switch from the skins to something else.

The ownership move is the only real reason I dislike the Ravens a bit. The Cleveland Browns were every bit as loyal and passionate as any fanbase in the country back in the day despite very limited success. The Modell's screwed their fanbase, snuck away in the night, and fled to Balitmore. It was so ugly that the NFL decided it had to do something to make it up to Cleveland.

I lived in Ohio at the time (Akron area) and I can tell you you've got it all wrong. The fans and the city were actively against Modell and chased him out by refusing to tax-payer fund a new stadium (though they had no problem building one for the new team five years later - hypocrites). It was all very public and very ugly - no sneaking out in the night, that was the Colts going to Indy. Modell made it clear what would happen if a stadium deal didn't happen, they had no business getting butt hurt when he made good on that threat. As for making it up to Cleveland, I saw it as them putting a pacifier in the baby's mouth. Of course, the fans there are getting exactly what they deserve now: they kicked out a perennial playoff team that couldn't quite get over the hump and got the consolation prize of a complete failure of a franchise.

As for Baltimore, those fans are hypocrites for talking all that **** about how low it was for Indy to take in the Colts back in 83, then turning around and welcoming in Modell and his Browns. I don't blame them for it but don't talk down another city for something you damn well know you're going to do if the opportunity ever presents itself.

There were a ton of O's fans in DC who ditched them when the Nats came to town. But that's excused. Not so much when people switch from the skins to something else.

you are saying this to the wrong person, my firend. I'm also a very loyal O's fan. Everybody was O's and Skins fans when I was growing up. I have pride in how I stayed loyal to my teams, and am extremely bitter to the fact that I'm now a minority skins fan in my home town. For this, I must hate the ravens. Ray Lewis doesn't help either...

Archived